Voice General Discussion 2 🧵

istersay

6 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

This is a question to those who are pro when it comes to minivan. 

Were Tessanne/Josh/Jordan/Alison/Chris B and Maelyn liked by the minivan.

I only came to know minivan since S17 because that was the time when I started lurking on IDF. Before that I was just a casual Fan and I knew nothing about MINIVAN/TPTB/TCO/Bussing or pimping a contestant etc...

Tessanne: I don’t know 

Josh: This was my first season, so I don’t know. 
Jordan: Yes

Alisan: No

Chris: Yes

Maelyn: Yes, especially toward the end. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TeamAudra said:

Jordan: Yes

Alisan: No

Chris: Yes

Maelyn: Yes, especially toward the end. 

Thanks I didn't know Chris was liked by them. Also Jordan was up against a country male singer who had a great background and a sob story. And also against a female country singer and yet he was liked and also won by a LANDSLIDE(And he's the #1 selling artist from the voice with more than 7M solds.) What a legend. 😂

Btw I'm just guessing you can correct me if I'm wrong, Sawyer is one of their most liked contestant ever...right?

• Like 1

Just now, Hamza Tufail said:

Thanks I didn't know Chris was liked by them. Also Jordan was up against a country male singer who had a great background and a sob story. And also against a female country singer and yet he was liked and also won by a LANDSLIDE(And he's the #1 selling artist from the voice with more than 7M solds.) What a legend. 😂

Btw I'm just guessing you can correct me if I'm wrong, Sawyer is one of their most liked contestant ever...right?

Sawyer was liked by them overall, but he also had some vicious haters. I’m sure he cleaned up with the casual viewers, though.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

Sawyer was liked by them overall, but he also had some vicious haters. I’m sure he cleaned up with the casual viewers, though.  

DAMN!  So even Sawyer had haters. Btw since S7(that's when you started to know about minivan...right?) for which contestant you've seen the most love from minivan? I'm so curious.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

This is a question to those who are pro when it comes to minivan. 

Were Tessanne/Josh/Jordan/Alison/Chris B and Maelyn liked by the minivan.

I only came to know minivan since S17 because that was the time when I started lurking on IDF. Before that I was just a casual Fan and I knew nothing about MINIVAN/TPTB/TCO/Bussing or pimping a contestant etc...

So for Season 5, Tessanne was honestly an interesting case. Minivan definitely liked Matthew Schuler at the start of lives, and IIRC Will Champlin got a ton of support with At Last. (Jacquie was also popular but I’d say she was more of an online/younger fan base favorite rather than minivan.) 

Anyways, Tessanne was always considered a solid vocalist but she was pretty middle of the road for most of the lives on iTunes and in hype (Matthew especially, but also Jacquie, and Will all had a lot of support). Part of that I think was a stretch of weeks where Tessanne did reggae (solidly, but possibly harder to connect with the audience). After Matthew’s voice started declining, the competition was blown wide open. Tessanne only surged to the top in the semifinals when she nailed Bridge Over Troubled Water, and then it was smooth sailing from there.

Tessanne is one of my favorite contestants (and vocalists) ever, so I remember these weeks pretty vividly haha.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Agggron said:

So for Season 5, Tessanne was honestly an interesting case. Minivan definitely liked Matthew Schuler at the start of lives, and IIRC Will Champlin got a ton of support with At Last. (Jacquie was also popular but I’d say she was more of an online/younger fan base favorite rather than minivan.) 

Anyways, Tessanne was always considered a solid vocalist but she was pretty middle of the road for most of the lives on iTunes and in hype (Matthew especially, but also Jacquie, and Will all had a lot of support). Part of that I think was a stretch of weeks where Tessanne did reggae (solidly, but possibly harder to connect with the audience). After Matthew’s voice started declining, the competition was blown wide open. Tessanne only surged to the top in the semifinals when she nailed Bridge Over Troubled Water, and then it was smooth sailing from there.

Tessanne is one of my favorite contestants (and vocalists) ever, so I remember these weeks pretty vividly haha.

Are you saying all that based on the views of minivan ?

Btw Tessanne is my 2nd fav contestant ever.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

DAMN!  So even Sawyer had haters. Btw since S7(that's when you started to know about minivan...right?) for which contestant you've seen the most love from minivan? I'm so curious.

I don’t know who was “most loved,” but I’d say pretty much every winner had decent minivan support, or they wouldn’t have won. I know I mentioned Alisan as not being loved by minivan, but that was probably just negative comments drowning out the positive ones. It was that way with Chloe too. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Are you saying all that based on the views of minivan ?

Btw Tessanne is my 2nd fav contestant ever.

I wasn’t like tracking Facebook reacts or comments or anything like that during that time. So this is from what I remember about the general hype each contestant had, as well as the iTunes rankings each week. I think iTunes was a pretty good representation of minivan’s support that season BECAUSE that season lacked strong country contestants (S5 being the last time Blake missed out on the finale IIRC). So minivan had to find other genres to support, and honestly that made the season super fluid. I feel like minivan always respected Tessanne but they had other favorites (Matthew, Will, and Jacquie to an extent) until Tessanne basically commanded their attention at the most crucial time. 

2 minutes ago, Agggron said:

I wasn’t like tracking Facebook reacts or comments or anything like that during that time. So this is from what I remember about the general hype each contestant had, as well as the iTunes rankings each week. I think iTunes was a pretty good representation of minivan’s support that season BECAUSE that season lacked strong country contestants (S5 being the last time Blake missed out on the finale IIRC). So minivan had to find other genres to support, and honestly that made the season super fluid. I feel like minivan always respected Tessanne but they had other favorites (Matthew, Will, and Jacquie to an extent) until Tessanne basically commanded their attention at the most crucial time. 

OK. Mathew was definitely the most talked about contestant at the start. Tessanne was also well-liked but she gained a great support after her KO. Then Jaquie came forward in the PO. Then again Mathew gained the front-runner status after Hallelujah. Then Will C also became one of the favorites after his At Last. Then after BOTW Tessanne definitely became the true front-runner of the season and when she performed I Have Nothing it was game over for the rest of the contestants. That was one hell of a season and probably my fav season ever.

• Like 2

Just now, Hamza Tufail said:

OK. Mathew was definitely the most talked about contestant at the start. Tessanne was also well-liked but she gained a great support after her KO. Then Jaquie came forward in the PO. Then again Mathew gained the front-runner status after Hallelujah. Then Will C also became one of the favorites after his At Last. Then after BOTW Tessanne definitely became the true front-runner of the season and when she performed I Have Nothing it was game over for the rest of the contestants. That was one hell of a season and probably my fav season ever.

Yes, S5 is my favorite as well! So many contestants had their own moments to shine where it felt like they could have taken it all: James Wolpert’s A Case of You, Matthew’s Hallelujah, Will’s At Last, and of course Tessanne. Everyone was so good in their own way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FloorWax said:

I would love to have Miley back. Yes, I know Kelly's here to stay, but I think she could take the rotating coach spot when her current era is over. 

Also, her new album is an excellent mix of synthpop and 80's rock. Just saying

Similar to Shakira, I would love for her to come back to redeem herself.

I’m listening to her album rn and I’m loving it so far :wub:

Edited by Daillon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Daillon said:

Similar to Shakira, I would love for her to come back to redeem herself

I honestly think Miley really did a SOLID job as a coach. Brooke had AMAZING song choices on the far end of the show (Faithfully is pure slayage minus that weird background). She also did awesome song choices for Janice. She also slayed the song choices for Ali (except that time where she gave country arrangements to her). Overall, I think she's one of the best coaches for me in terms of connecting with the contestant. So I agree with you, I really want her back too. Yes, she have made mistakes (Ashland 😬) but I think she really did well.

This is all my opinion though

On topic with the winners being liked by Minivan, I think in the past it wasn’t as essential to get their support. I am pretty sure Tess, Josh and Jordan won because of casuals, without needing any support from them. Nowadays every winner since S13 was appealing to Minivan in some way or another, which is why I think someone like Josh or Tess would have a harder time winning the show right now.

Edited by Daillon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Daillon said:

On topic with the winners being liked by Minivan, I think in the past it wasn’t as essential to get their support. I am pretty sure Tess, Josh and Jordan won because of casuals, without needing any support from them. Nowadays every winner since S13 was appealimg to Minivan in some way or another, which is why I think someone like Josh or Tess would have a harder time winning the show right now.

THIS. I really miss the good old days where the casuals prevail. I miss the good old days of The Voice. So much has changed, and I am not liking the majority of it 😔

4 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

I honestly think Miley really did a SOLID job as a coach. Brooke had AMAZING song choices on the far end of the show (Faithfully is pure slayage minus that weird background). She also did awesome song choices for Janice. She also slayed the song choices for Ali (except that time where she gave country arrangements to her). Overall, I think she's one of the best coaches for me in terms of connecting with the contestant. So I agree with you, I really want her back too. Yes, she have made mistakes (Ashland 😬) but I think she really did well.

This is all my opinion though

I loved how supportive she was to her contestants, and I loved some of her song choices (I personally think she flopped with Ali tho), but she could have done a better job imo. She’s not as bad as John, Pharrell, Shakira, Adam or CeeLo, I’ll give you that

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daillon said:

On topic with the winners being liked by Minivan, I think in the past it wasn’t as essential to get their support. I am pretty sure Tess, Josh and Jordan won because of casuals, without needing any support from them. Nowadays every winner since S13 was appealing to Minivan in some way or another, which is why I think someone like Josh or Tess would have a harder time winning the show right now.

Yeah. Someone like John H would have a better chance of winning the show had he been in past seasons where Minivan wasn´t the dominating force. Casuals LOVE him. 

17 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

THIS. I really miss the good old days where the casuals prevail. I miss the good old days of The Voice. So much has changed, and I am not liking the majority of it 😔

Agreed, but I am pretty happy with the last two seasons (S19 looks pretty good as well) compared to S14-16, whose live rounds were almost unwatchable (imagine if people like Kyla or Maelyn weren’t around during those seasons :whut:)

Edited by Daillon

I don’t get what y’all are saying here. With the app, it’s much more easy for the more casual viewers to vote for a contestant than ever. It took much more dedication to write down and call a phone number and/or go to a website. 

Minivan is just a demographic. Most of them are casual viewers with a cell phone in their pocket. 

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I don’t get what y’all are saying here. With the app, it’s much more easy for the more casual viewers to vote for a contestant than ever. It took much more dedication to write down and call a phone number and/or go to a website. 

Minivan is just a demographic. Most of them are casual viewers with a cell phone in their pocket. 

Yeah, you’re right. I should have called them “non-Minivan casuals” to make it clear.

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I disagree. Downloading an app is a bigger commitment than dialing a phone number. People are much more  leery of putting crap on their smartphones than calling an 800 #.

• istersay changed the title to Voice General Discussion 2 🧵
  • istersay pinned this topic
  • istersay locked and unlocked this topic
  • istersay unpinned this topic
  • istersay locked and unlocked this topic