Voice General Discussion 2 🧵

istersay

7 hours ago, Misirlou said:

https://www.mjsbigblog.com/2021-top-12-vocal-performances-american-idol-the-voice-more.htm

MJ´s Top 12 Talent Show Vocal Performances of 2021. GNT, Wendy, Jershika, Pia Renee, and Cam Anthony featured here.

And Brooke Simpson as well, from AGT.

Lol they really chose Break every chain for Jershika??? Inseparable and DLTSGDOM are far better choices.

Yeah, they picked some of the wrong performances. Jolene didn’t highlight the power and range Wendy showed on her Audition, Knockout, Semis and Finale. Break Every Chain wasn’t a bad performance, but it wasn’t Jershika’s best. Take Me to Church is good, but it’s not one of my Top 3 Cam performances. At least they got it right with GNT (I thought the beginning was good but I do agree that it got better towards the end).

MJ’s choices for Wendy and Jershika (and to a lesser extent, Cam) are head-scratchers, but at least Pia gets a well-deserved nod here too, so I’ll take it.

I do kinda get why they went with “Jolene” for Wendy though - it was her big comeback after breaking both arms on live TV less than a week before. I’d have picked her Semis performance personally, but “Jolene” was proof that Wendy wasn’t going to let anything stop her from putting her game face on and delivering her best vocals.

• Like 3

I agree with Wichita Lineman for GNT and WTWNN for Pia, but not on the rest.

Jolene was a good storytelling vessel for Wendy, but I needed more urgency there and she didnt have. I'd have gone with Over the Rainbow, easily. That was flawless.

Take Me To Church was good, but Cam's weakest in my opinion. Its So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday would have been my pick.

Break Every Chain was easily Jershika's weakest as well for me, my pick would have been Inseparable.

Also, I would have included Paris here, either with Tenessee Whiskey or Use Me.

• Like 1

Since it’s New Years Eve (in my time zone at least), I really thought 2021 was one of the best years for The Voice. We had two seasons that were really good and had a lot of talent, the second of which was the first to have a long season since 2019, and my 2 favorite contestants this year were the 2 winners. I’m glad that the show had a really good year for its final year with 2 seasons.

• Like 9

I've thought about the runner ups. In some cases, if they really wanted to win the show, finishing as runner up could potentially hurt more than finishing 3rd, 4th or 5th (now that its a thing), since they could have a "I was this close to getting it but didnt" mentality, rather than "oh, I didnt have a chance either way, I'm good" as with the other placements.

In some other cases, its relief since they didnt get stuck in the contract (Matt McAndrew aside, poor guy), and they could take pride in the fact that only one contestant managed to beat them.

Others maybe flat out didnt care what placement they'd end on and just wanted to be in the finale.

Wonder how some of the runner ups viewed that situation.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Misirlou said:

I've thought about the runner ups. In some cases, if they really wanted to win the show, finishing as runner up could potentially hurt more than finishing 3rd, 4th or 5th (now that its a thing), since they could have a "I was this close to getting it but didnt" mentality, rather than "oh, I didnt have a chance either way, I'm good" as with the other placements.

In some other cases, its relief since they didnt get stuck in the contract (Matt McAndrew aside, poor guy), and they could take pride in the fact that only one contestant managed to beat them.

Others maybe flat out didnt care what placement they'd end on and just wanted to be in the finale.

I think it definitely depends on the competition. For example, in Season 9, nobody was beating Jordan Smith, and the suspense was more who would get 2nd. Emily Ann was the contestant who ended up in 2nd, and I’d say that was a great finish, since I’m guessing all of the Season 9 contestants had an idea that Jordan was going to win. It would be more disappointing if the finale was closer (ie, if it really seemed like a contestant would win and they ended up getting second), and we had a few finales like that where it really seemed close.

18 hours ago, Misirlou said:

iirc, Addison or someone close to her (her dad?) had said that going into the show, the ideal finish was 2nd because she wouldn't be locked into the contract and has more freedom to do whatever she wants afterwards

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Koatterce said:

iirc, Addison or someone close to her (her dad?) had said that going into the show, the ideal finish was 2nd because she wouldn't be locked into the contract and has more freedom to do whatever she wants afterwards

There are probably a lot of runner ups that didn’t want the win. I wonder if some of them got worried about winning because they didn’t want to get locked into the contract

For people who have been longer here, or happen to know, who were the most hyped contestants pre-season we´ve had overall? Not asking if they met the expectations or ended up disappointing, but who were the ones that IDF couldn´t shut up about before the season when spoilers arrived?

I know Wendy was definitely that for S21, in a way Kenzie was hyped as an undefeatable frontrunner in S20, and Tamara and especially Desz on S19. Anyone else?

5 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

For people who have been longer here, or happen to know, who were the most hyped contestants pre-season we´ve had overall? Not asking if they met the expectations or ended up disappointing, but who were the ones that IDF couldn´t shut up about before the season when spoilers arrived?

I know Wendy was definitely that for S21, in a way Kenzie was hyped as an undefeatable frontrunner in S20, and Tamara and especially Desz on S19. Anyone else?

Kennedy Holmes, Jordan Smith come to mind right away.

13 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Kennedy Holmes, Jordan Smith come to mind right away.

I don’t think Jordan was talked about much before the season started. It was sort of that way with Sawyer too. It’s all changed after their blinds, though. With Sawyer, it was like…”who’s the young kid with the long hair?” I don’t think many took him seriously until after his blind. After that, some thought he was winning, and the rest were in denial. :haha:

Kennedy definitely was, but she lost steam as the season went on, even on IDF. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Just now, TeamAudra said:

I don’t think Jordan was talked about much before the season started. It was sort of that way with Sawyer too. It’s all changed after their blinds, though. With Sawyer, it was like…”who’s the young kid with the blonde hair?” I don’t think many took him seriously until after his blind. After that, some thought he was winning, and others were in denial. :haha:

Kennedy definitely was, but she lost steam as the season went on, even on IDF. 

I thought I remembered lots of talk about Jordan preseason but maybe not /shrug 

2 hours ago, Misirlou said:

I don't know if these contestants count because I wasn't in IDF at that point, but Season 11's Billy Gilman and We McDonald? 

7 hours ago, Misirlou said:

Alisan, Addison, Noah, Sandy, Maelyn…

Saw this Most Watched Blind Auditions in a YT side listing - here's the blurb posted by the Best of the Voice page

"In 10 years of The Voice, we’ve had some incredible Blind Auditions and these went beyond VIRAL! With a total of over 794 million views, these are the most-watched Blind Auditions EVER on The Voice. Who’s your favorite? Let us know in the comments below👇" (Note - none from TV US). Posted 9/20

My favorite is the guy in overalls playing some sort of dulcimer/dobro/lap slide and singing Another Brick in the Wall. 😃

16 minutes ago, WastedinMemphis said:

Saw this Most Watched Blind Auditions in a YT side listing - here's the blurb posted by the Best of the Voice page

"In 10 years of The Voice, we’ve had some incredible Blind Auditions and these went beyond VIRAL! With a total of over 794 million views, these are the most-watched Blind Auditions EVER on The Voice. Who’s your favorite? Let us know in the comments below👇" (Note - none from TV US). Posted 9/20

My favorite is the guy in overalls playing some sort of dulcimer/dobro/lap slide and singing Another Brick in the Wall. 😃

The US probably would have a few entries if they didn’t take down the videos after a few years

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, WastedinMemphis said:

I enjoy that one. I´m not a fan of all of his vocal choices, but I love the creativity and the lap slide.

• Like 1