Voice General Discussion 2 🧵

istersay

3 hours ago, Misirlou said:

Don´t know where else to put this but had they done the 5 finalists thing, but without quotas for the shortened seasons (S18-S20), here´s how I think it would have gone in the semifinals.

S18:

PVs: Todd, Toneisha, TStorm, Allegra

IS: CammWess, most likely.

Kelly would have 100% missed the finale.

You don't think Micah would've made it?

20 hours ago, Mohammad said:

Really , so giving Jershika a 9.5 for her Semifinal IS when that performance had several noticeable pitch issues and it makes sense giving Wendy’s live PO performance a 9.5 when she literally was not pitch perfect and was slightly but noticeably flat but then giving Hailey Mia’s traitor performance a 7.5 when Hailey Mia pretty much gave a pitch perfect performance in the Live PO.  Wendy did give the best ballad performance but her run on the show was not stellar and was underwhelming to an extent , You gave Jershika a 9.5 for her top 13 performance yet her top 13 performance had pitch issues too , it was really good but still had pitch issues. If you are gonna penalize other groups like GNT or other soloists for pitch issues and underwhelming performances do the same with your favorites .

interesting how you chose to ONLY drag the black females who rightfully excelled this season with this comment

Not trying to add fuel to the fire (that ended about 16 hours ago lol sorry) but pitch isn't the only thing that determines whether a performance is good or bad either. GNT had a couple performances with pitch issues and I don't see you pointing it out. Not like it's important tho, since they were well received and agreed to be good performances due to other factors.

• Like 3

Just now, TheVoiceFan2 said:

interesting how you chose to ONLY drag the black females who rightfully excelled this season with this comment

Not trying to add fuel to the fire (that ended about 16 hours ago lol sorry) but pitch isn't the only thing that determines whether a performance is good or bad either. GNT had a couple performances with pitch issues and I don't see you pointing it out. Not like it's important tho, since they were well received and agreed to be good performances due to other factors.

Didn’t you see my other post in the unpopular opinion where i literally Pointed out that GNT had pitch issues and gave those performances not such high scores like I have their creep performance a 6/10 , and their Viva la Vida a 8.5/10. I chose Jershika because she was the prime example this season , and you can have an opinion that is fine just don’t be rude , unfair ,and a hypocrite about it and if you want be to explain that more in depth I will.

6 minutes ago, Mohammad said:

Didn’t you see my other post in the unpopular opinion where i literally Pointed out that GNT had pitch issues and gave those performances not such high scores like I have their creep performance a 6/10 , and their Viva la Vida a 8.5/10. I chose Jershika because she was the prime example this season , and you can have an opinion that is fine just don’t be rude , unfair ,and a hypocrite about it and if you want be to explain that more in depth I will.

no, I'm not one to pay much attention to the ratings thread. What I'm trying to say is that you can't be surprised if people have other criteria for good performances that isn't just "good pitch". That's why people enjoyed multiple Jershika performances where she wasn't necessarily pitch perfect (Beggin, Break Every Chain) and the same thing with GNT (The Chain and Creep).

This is not a reason to call someone out for their scores (like you previously did on this thread) as we all have different determining factors for what makes a "good" performance and a "good" run on the show.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

no, I'm not one to pay much attention to the ratings thread. What I'm trying to say is that you can't be surprised if people have other criteria for good performances that isn't just "good pitch". That's why people enjoyed multiple Jershika performances where she wasn't necessarily pitch perfect (Beggin, Break Every Chain) and the same thing with GNT (The Chain and Creep).

This is not a reason to call someone out for their scores (like you previously did on this thread) as we all have different determining factors for what makes a "good" performance and a "good" run on the show.

Fair enough , but my point was never about scores entirely and if it came off as that then i am sorry , this was specifically about you can’t be unfair , irrational, rude , and a hypocrite  when having an opinion. What i am about ti state next is in general  , you can complain about not having an AA powerhouse win the show that is your opinion but at the same time the show’s viewers have every right not to vote for AA powerhouses and have every right calling them screamers. We all have differing opinions. For example , You can’t really say that this specific group or artist is mediocre (and bash that artist) and this specific AA female powerhouse deserves the one then get annoyed when minivan doesn’t vote for your fave or for an AA powerhouse and calling them a screamer , the moment anyone objects or gets annoyed by that will be considered as a hypocrite , we all have different opinions. If this makes sense then that’s great if not then whatever.

GNT getting any form of hate on social media is so weird to me… Wendy has gotten so much criticism all season long and now all of a sudden people are angry she lost? WHERE WERE Y’ALL DURING VOTING??? you can’t be mad now if you didn’t give her at least 10 votes😩 i wanted Wendy to win so badly and think she deserved to, but GNT are deserving winners as well! social media is a weird place…

Edited by KimberlyxKyla
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, KimberlyxKyla said:

GNT getting any form of hate on social media is so weird to me… Wendy has gotten so much criticism all season long and now all of a sudden people are angry she lost? WHERE WERE Y’ALL DURING VOTING??? you can’t be mad now if you didn’t give her at least 10 votes😩 i wanted Wendy to win so badly and think she deserved to, but GNT are deserving winners as well! social media is a weird place…

The thing is that the hate for GNT in defense of Wendy comes from mostly casual commenters. I doubt that all of the people hating are gonna go and buy or listen to Wendy's music, or any of the others they preferred. Many dont care, they are just in for the show and what they see in it, they probably didnt even vote all season, just watched the YT videos.

In the end, it really doesnt matter. Had Wendy won, we would have had angry people saying GNT deserved it, and again, I doubt that many of the SM comments would keep up with them once the show is over. Its just the way it works.

Like I said in their fan thread, I hope GNT stays away from SM comments, they are no good, and just enjoy their win and focus on the future.

And I'm sure Wendy wouldnt want those people as fans. She seems at peace with what happened and is gonna continue to do her thing.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

We have another IDF reader 🙃

B6-FFE2-CD-049-D-4454-B5-BC-CEA16-C11-FF

She was honestly better recieved and has some dedicated fans here than on social media, so, while I still dont think its a good idea for them to read IDF, between that and SM, I guess this wins.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1

I've been reading year-end lists for albums and this week, in particular, country and Americana albums - Rolling Stone and The Boot each just published their  lists. This year they featured more AA women than I can ever remember. 

This post is a side note to the discussion here after the finale. The links are below.  I have listened to many of the albums and would kinda love to point to what I think is some really great work by these women if anyone is interested and if it's not too off topic.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country-lists/best-country-albums-2021-1270077/kacey-musgraves-star-crossed-1270136/

https://theboot.com/50-best-albums-eps-2021-country-americana-and-beyond/

Edited by WastedinMemphis
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, WastedinMemphis said:

I've been reading year-end lists for albums and this week, in particular, country and Americana albums - Rolling Stone and The Boot each just published their  lists. This year they featured more AA women than I can ever remember. 

This post is a side note to the discussion here after the finale. The links are below.  I have listened to many of the albums and would kinda love to point to what I think is some really great work by these women if anyone is interested and if it's not too off topic.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country-lists/best-country-albums-2021-1270077/kacey-musgraves-star-crossed-1270136/

https://theboot.com/50-best-albums-eps-2021-country-americana-and-beyond/

I’ll take KimberlyxKyla’s reaction as sufficient warrant to post  🙂

The year-end lists by Rolling Stone and The Boot are both views from across the street from mainstream country music – heavily populated with Americana artists. These are some of the female AA artists on the lists who are imo making great music in the genres. I suspect that many are unknown here. Americana artists aren’t all country cousins and rely heavily on word-of-mouth.

Allison Russell – Outside Child – A dark and joyful album from and about a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and teenage years on the streets in Montreal - emphasis on survivor and joyful but some of the lyrics are just gut punches. Many genres represented on this album - I think it’s brilliant, my favorite album of the year. Start with Montreal, Nightflyer, Persephone.

Joy Oladokun – in defense of my own happiness.  Think indie/folk and Tracy Chapman.  It’s right up there for me.  Try out Look Up, I See America, Sunday

Amythyst Kiah – Wary + Strange – She’s a powerful singer with powerful songs.  Blues, folk, rock and more.  Try Black Myself, Wild Turkey.

Brittney Spencer – Brittney’s two tracks on Isbell’s Georgia Blue covers album – It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World and Midnight Train to Georgia – are highlights – “two of the album’s most unique moments” – The Boot.  Try her EP for the country side – Skinny and Sober is a great song.

Yola – Stand for Myself - I know a lot of folks here know Yola. From her new one, try Starlight and Whatever You Want.

Mickey Guyton - Remember Her Name - I assume folks know Mickey. If you don’t, here’s the intro.

Also, Adia Rae – Southern Gothic; Miko Marks – Race Records; Chapel Hart -The Girls Are Back in Town (country trio championed by Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top); Valery June – The Moon and Stars-Prescriptions for Dreamers (“organic moonshine music”).

Edited by WastedinMemphis
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WastedinMemphis said:

I’ll take KimberlyxKyla’s reaction as sufficient warrant to post  🙂

The year-end lists by Rolling Stone and The Boot are both views from across the street from mainstream country music – heavily populated with Americana artists. These are some of the female AA artists imo making great music in the genres. I suspect that many are unknown here. Americana artists aren’t all country cousins and rely heavily on word-of-mouth. Word.

Allison Russell – Outside Child – A dark and joyful album from and about a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and teenage years on the streets in Montreal - emphasis on survivor and joyful but some of the lyrics are just gut punches. Many genres represented on this album - I think it’s brilliant, my favorite album of the year. Start with Montreal, Nightflyer, Persephone.

Joy Oladokun – in defense of my own happiness.  Think indie/folk and Tracy Chapman.  It’s right up there for me.  Try out Look Up, I See America, Sunday

Amythyst Kiah – Wary + Strange – She’s a powerful singer with powerful songs.  Blues, folk, rock and more.  Try Black Myself, Wild Turkey.

Brittney Spencer – Brittney’s two tracks on Isbell’s Georgia Blue covers album – It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World and Midnight Train to Georgia – are highlights – “two of the album’s most unique moments” – The Boot.  Try her EP for the country side – Skinny and Sober is a great song.

Yola – Stand for Myself - I know a lot of folks here know Yola. From her new one, try Starlight and Whatever You Want.

Mickey Guyton - Remember Her Name - I assume folks know Mickey. If you don’t, here’s the intro.

Also, Adia Rae – Southern Gothic; Miko Marks – Race Records; Chapel Hart -The Girls Are Back in Town (country trio championed by Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top); Valery June – The Moon and Stars-Prescriptions for Dreamers (“organic moonshine music”).

Haven’t checked many of them out but I do recognize a few of the names (Mickey and Yola), so thanks for the tips!

• Like 1