Jump to content

Voice General Discussion 2 🧵


istersay
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

 

Someone really needs to sing this song again. The group performance with Judith, Sarah, and Amber was a slayage, but Darby's KO.... not so much. We just need more Florence + The Machine in general lol. I believe the last time was back in S16 with Betsy Ade.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, FloorWax said:

 

 

Someone really needs to sing this song again. The group performance with Judith, Sarah, and Amber was a slayage, but Darby's KO.... not so much. We just need more Florence + The Machine in general lol. I believe the last time was back in S16 with Betsy Ade.

 

If they can pull it off, yes please :wub:  But that’s the problem. She’s hard to cover. 
 

Honestly I would settle for Amber coming back next season to sing it alone :haha: She carried that group performance (love Sarah and Judith as well tho)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are at the 50th anniversary of Joni Mitchell's Blue, an album as remarkable today as it was when it was released. Just sit down and listen to it. That's why it's covered by brave souls on TV today. This post may may be a bit out of place but we're here because of the music and I hope some will enjoy.

There's a lot of writing in honor of the anniversary as you'll see if you Google "Joni Mitchell Blue."  Some I particularly liked are Cameron Crowe's interview of Joni in the L.A. Times, https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-06-20/joni-mitchell-cameron-crowe-50th-anniversary-blue, the Times' track-by-track review by folks like James Taylor (who played on several tracks and whose romance with Joni plays into several songs), David Crosby, Brandi Carlisle and Elton John https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-06-21/joni-mitchell-james-taylor-haim-elton-john-track-by-track-blue, and Ann Powers' thoughtful piece for NPR about the recording and context of the album and, surprisingly, its connections to Miles Davis's album Kind of Blue. https://www.npr.org/2021/06/20/1008271419/joni-mitchell-masterpiece-at-50-her-kind-of-blue. There's tons of good stuff here like songs' backgrounds in relationships with Taylor, Graham Nash (bookended by A Case of You and River) and Leonard Cohen, Joni's choice to make her dulcimer the lead string instrument which gives the album much of its distinct instrumental flavor and how Joni met the red-headed rogue Carey, her "mean old daddy," in Greece when an explosion blew him out of the restaurant in whose kitchen he worked. And why cellophane has become the central metaphor of much writing about the album because of Joni's emotional transparency in its creation. 

Maybe the best thing to do, though, is to put on some headphones, close your eyes and listen.

 

 


 

Edited by WastedinMemphis
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WastedinMemphis said:

We are at the 50th anniversary of Joni Mitchell's Blue, an album as remarkable today as it was when it was released. Just sit down and listen to it. That's why it's covered by brave souls on TV today. This post may may be a bit out of place but we're here because of the music and I hope some will enjoy.

There's a lot of writing in honor of the anniversary as you'll see if you Google "Joni Mitchell Blue."  Some I particularly liked are Cameron Crowe's interview of Joni in the L.A. Times, https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-06-20/joni-mitchell-cameron-crowe-50th-anniversary-blue, the Times' track-by-track review by folks like James Taylor (who played on several tracks and whose romance with Joni plays into several songs), David Crosby, Brandi Carlisle and Elton John https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-06-21/joni-mitchell-james-taylor-haim-elton-john-track-by-track-blue, and Ann Powers' thoughtful piece for NPR about the recording and context of the album and, surprisingly, its connections to Miles Davis's album Kind of Blue. https://www.npr.org/2021/06/20/1008271419/joni-mitchell-masterpiece-at-50-her-kind-of-blue. There's tons of good stuff here like songs' backgrounds in relationships with Taylor, Graham Nash (bookended by A Case of You and River) and Leonard Cohen, Joni's choice to make her dulcimer the lead string instrument which gives the album much of its distinct instrumental flavor and how Joni met the red-headed rogue Carey, her "mean old daddy," in Greece when an explosion blew him out of the restaurant in whose kitchen he worked. And why cellophane has become the central metaphor of much writing about the album because of Joni's emotional transparency in its creation. 

Maybe the best thing to do, though, is to put on some headphones, close your eyes and listen.

 

 


 

 

I have been meaning to listen to that album for some time now because "A Case Of You" is gorgeous!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Didn´t know where to post this, but you tell me this wasn´t @Teraginnhimself on playoffs night lol (1:59 - 2:25) and (3:17 till the end).

 

 

 

26 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:


This was also me, especially at the end 

You shouldve seen me when he won the WC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:


I also had a similar reaction when Cam won

I did too! My two biggest reactions this season were Corey being the WC winner and Cam winning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Before the new season begins, let's take a moment to appreciate how hilariously entertaining IDF is. :yes:

 

In this regard, I wonder if we still have some Vote-splitting theorists after last season finale 🤔 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2021 at 8:52 AM, Misirlou said:

Didn´t know where to post this, but you tell me this wasn´t @Teraginnhimself on playoffs night lol (1:59 - 2:25) and (3:17 till the end).

 

 

Honestly iconic video. I remember my internet cut out while the IS was happening and I frantically tried to vote for Ryleigh but I have really bad reception in my area so I couldn't vote for her much? And then when my internet came back on I refused to check IDF or look at the results cause I was rooting for Ryleigh (b/c I heard only a snippet of Corey's and most of Ryleigh's, and I preferred Ryleigh from that) but I knew Corey had the upper hand, and then I finally went on TVLine to get the crushing news that Corey moved on (though of course, he's really amazing, and if he weren't against Ryleigh/Gihanna throughout the season I would have supported him a lot more). 

 

Anyway, that night was QUITE the rollercoaster. I also remember being very pleasantly shocked by Rachel getting the PV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...