Voice General Discussion 2 🧵

istersay

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, monkshood said:

Some food for thought:

Resident population of the United States by race for 2019 (in millions)

Characteristic    White      Black/AA Amer Indian/Alaska Native     Asian      Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander     Two or more races
2019    250.52 44.08 4.19    19.5     0.81 9.14

Well, and the subset of Americans who watch the Voice and take the time to vote for artists (not just watch on YouTube after the fact) almost certainly skews whiter, Midwestern/Southern, female, and older. I'm sure that that drives a lot of the voting behavior. 

Whether that voting behavior is genre preference or some combination of racism/sexism, I can't really draw any hard conclusions. I don't believe voting patterns on The Voice could ever give us sufficient statistical evidence one way or the other, so we're left with drawing conclusions based on anecdotes and personal opinions on who is "deserving".

At minimum, it should be obvious to people (at least to anyone who looks in the mirror) that humans have an innate bias towards familiarity, and so it shouldn't surprise us that Voice voters likely vote for the genres / artists / coaches that are more "familiar" to them. Is a bias towards familiarity evidence of racism? My inclination is to say that without clear evidence of antagonism towards people of other races, that "racism" is probably not the right word to use to describe this phenomenon. "Bias" or "Preference" is probably the better descriptor. All that said, it doesn't discount the fact that it will be an uphill battle for a soul/R&B signer to win the voting majority of an audience that largely grew up on beer, football, and country music. 

Re: sexism, there is well documented social science evidence that human beings (even women) have a statistical preference for male leadership (1), for whatever reason. (To be clear - this is not a blanket statement or a value judgment, just a research finding). I do wonder if there is a similar dynamic going on with females (of the type who are Voice voters) having a preference for male singers. Not sure I can draw any conclusions here, but I find this an interesting question. 

Edited for citation

(1) https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgenehuang/2016/06/02/why-some-women-still-prefer-male-bosses-and-what-we-should-do-about-it/?sh=69491b6d2ebb

Edited by mathguy
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

do you really think Toneisha/Cam would’ve had the successes they had on the show had they not been on Team Blake? 

Victor made the finale despite being on team Legend. I'm pretty sure Cam would've been in top 3 at least even if he was on team Legend or Nick. And he would still have a fair chance of winning on Team Kelly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mathguy said:

there is well documented social science evidence that human beings (even women) have a statistical preference for male leadership

I guess IDF is filled with aliens then :haha:

Just now, QueenCami said:

I guess IDF is filled with aliens then :haha:

Lol, tried my best to make it clear, it's a statistical preference... obviously individual results may vary (and no, IDF is not a randomly selected cross section of the US population!)

• Like 2

Just now, mathguy said:

Lol, tried my best to make it clear, it's a statistical preference... obviously individual results may vary (and no, IDF is not a randomly selected cross section of the US population!)

'twas but a joke, im not disputing the research findings

Hace 6 minutos, mathguy dijo:

Re: sexismo, hay evidencia de las ciencias sociales bien documentada de que los seres humanos (incluso las mujeres) tienen una preferencia estadística por el liderazgo masculino

:whut:

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

'twas but a joke, im not disputing the research findings

Gotcha! And it's interesting, I've been watching with my mom for 3 seasons (to pass the time during COVID)... she would adamantly tell you that (a) Toneisha should've won; (b) Desz should've been top 2 / top 3; and (c) Dana should've advanced over Rachel. Her demographics would scream "Minivan" (older/white), except for the fact that we're Chicagoans and she (and her children) grew up on a lot more Motown / R&B / Soul than perhaps the typical voter in the American South. So, I can definitely see how familiarity with certain genres can drive preferences.

Edited by mathguy
  • Like 2

Just now, Jordan Smith Fan said:

Is this really S20 spoilers/news/updates thread?

I thought I was on the "A black woman will never win thread".

Nothing here has been on-topic since Monday at 6 AM when we received the song choices, it's not like this is an anomaly

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mathguy said:

Well, and the subset of Americans who watch the Voice and take the time to vote for artists (not just watch on YouTube after the fact) almost certainly skews whiter, Midwestern/Southern, female, and older. I'm sure that that drives a lot of the voting behavior. 

Whether that voting behavior is genre preference or some combination of racism/sexism, I can't really draw any hard conclusions. I don't believe voting patterns on The Voice could ever give us sufficient statistical evidence one way or the other, so we're left with drawing conclusions based on anecdotes and personal opinions on who is "deserving".

At minimum, it should be obvious to people (at least to anyone who looks in the mirror) that humans have an innate bias towards familiarity, and so it shouldn't surprise us that Voice voters likely vote for the genres / artists / coaches that are more "familiar" to them. Is a bias towards familiarity evidence of racism? My inclination is to say that without clear evidence of antagonism towards people of other races, that "racism" is probably not the right word to use to describe this phenomenon. "Bias" or "Preference" is probably the better descriptor. All that said, it doesn't discount the fact that it will be an uphill battle for a soul/R&B signer to win the voting majority of an audience that largely grew up on beer, football, and country music. 

Re: sexism, there is well documented social science evidence that human beings (even women) have a statistical preference for male leadership (1), for whatever reason. (To be clear - this is not a blanket statement or a value judgment, just a research finding). I do wonder if there is a similar dynamic going on with females (of the type who are Voice voters) having a preference for male singers. Not sure I can draw any conclusions here, but I find this an interesting question. 

Edited for citation

(1) https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgenehuang/2016/06/02/why-some-women-still-prefer-male-bosses-and-what-we-should-do-about-it/?sh=69491b6d2ebb

3 minutes ago, mathguy said:

Gotcha! And it's interesting, I've been watching with my mom for 3 seasons (to pass the time during COVID)... she would adamantly tell you that (a) Toneisha should've won; (b) Desz should've been top 2 / top 3; and (c) Dana should've advanced over Rachel. Her demographics would scream "Minivan" (older/white), except for the fact that we're Chicagoans and she (and her children) grew up on a lot more Motown / R&B / Soul than perhaps the typical voter in the American South. So, I can definitely see how familiarity with certain genres can drive preferences.

Great post(s) :yes:

3 minutes ago, Jordan Smith Fan said:

Is this really S20 spoilers/news/updates thread?

I thought I was on the "A black woman will never win thread".

ngl I didn't know we were in the spoiler thread until you mentioned it

it's not like this thread is ever on topic tho

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Victor made the finale despite being on team Legend. I'm pretty sure Cam would've been in top 3 at least even if he was on team Legend or Nick. And he would still have a fair chance of winning on Team Kelly.

No offense I just don’t feel like it’s a valid argument right here because of team quotas, of course he would make the finale. It would be interesting tho to see his fate with the old bloodbath format 🤔

18 hours ago, snoopy2003 said:

If Cam wins, he would get stuck with the screwed up record label. If Kenzie wins, Kenzie wouldn’t get stuck with it (they don’t do country) & neither would Cam.

This is why I am perplexed as to why everyone here wants Cam to win.  Wouldn't it be better for him if he didn't?  No contract and all that?

1 hour ago, Dalton Eduardo said:

In Season 1, Vicci Martinez and Angela Wolff both performed "Rolling in the Deep" as their blind audition song.

omg I didn't know this! same songs in the same round 😬

I don’t understand why people want Kenzie to win just for a Kelly win. It seems some people like him just because he’s on Kelly’s team. I am curious if he was on Blake’s or Nicks team, would be there less fans for him. I will say Kenzie is good artist but I am not going to just root for him because of Kelly! If I like country more, then yes I would. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, pauwis said:

omg I didn't know this! same songs in the same round 😬

Yeah. Actually, Angela Wolff first sang "The House that Built Me" but then nobody turned for her. 

When all of the artists get to perform their blind auditions, there were still 4 slots left. So, those who turned no chairs were given second chance to re-audition. Angela's second song was "Rolling in the Deep" and she turned Adam's chair.

Edited by Dalton Eduardo
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rodney said:

This is why I am perplexed as to why everyone here wants Cam to win.  Wouldn't it be better for him if he didn't?  No contract and all that?

Cam can always decline the contract. However, Republic Records would be entitled to keep him from putting out music and signing with any other label for a certain period of time. Those time periods would be spelled out in the contract he did sign—the one with The Voice itself.

That’s the dilemma: does he want to waste precious time while independent or while signed.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, rainbowconnection said:

Has the same song ever been covered twice on the same season?

In season eight, Deanna Johnson and Nicolette Mare's Battle song was Brooke Adee's Playoff song.  It was Ellie Goulding's "Love Me Like You Do."

Edited by Rodney
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Cam can always decline the contract. However, Republic Records would be entitled to keep him from putting out music and signing with any other label for a certain period of time. Those time periods would be spelled out in the contract he did sign—the one with The Voice itself.

That’s the dilemma: does he want to waste precious time while independent or while signed.

Valid points, but he might want the $100K and the trophy too. 

Over the years, there have been some winners who thought it would be different for them if they signed with Republic. Well, now we have even more history, so hopefully Cam chooses wisely. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Forgot about the money. That`s a good reason for wanting to win as well.

It’s not even that much money after taxes, but to a 19 year old it is. Given how much the coaches get paid, it’s still a slap in the face. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

the thing is, now it’s not that big of a deal..a lot of musicians can record themselves, and there isn’t anything stopping them from talking to other labels.

• istersay locked and unlocked this topic