Voice General Discussion 2 🧵

istersay

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

thevoicefinal.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

Explain this. Three of the best vocalists in the competition not getting enough votes to advance. I’d say it’s a major factor in the votes.

Ok I'll explain it with an example.

If I had all the powers to decide who to pick then, just like American voters I would've not let Sasha reach the finale. I would've also restricted Koryn to Fourth. I would've eliminated Kimberly and India before the finale. I would've also eliminated Regina. I would've let Ali reached the finale but her celling in my world would've been 3rd. I would've also not let Amy, Vanessa, Keisha, Spensha, Kymberli, Kennedy, Tamara, Dana, Pia, and  Gihanna reach the finale. I would've restricted Brooke to third, Rose, and Desz to fourth.

Now, would you also call me a racist?

There have been multiple black contestants that I've loved. But me not liking these above mentioned contestants(because I wasn't sold on them and had other favorites) doesn't make me racist. It just shows I preferred others. You know I voted for Kyndal bur not for Myracle even if she had a better performance(#recencybias). That clearly doesn't make me a racist? Does it?

Edited by Hamza Tufail

1 minute ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Ok I'll explain it with an example.

If I had all the powers to decide who to pick then, just like American voters I would've not let Sasha reach the finale. I would've also restricted Koryn to Fourth. I would've eliminated Kimberly and India before the finale. I would've also eliminated Regina. I would've let Ali reached the finale but her celling in my world would've been 3rd. I would've also not let Amy, Vanessa, Keisha, Spensha, Kymberli, Kennedy, Tamara, Dana, Pia, and  Gihanna reach the finale. I would've restricted Brooke to third, Rose, and Desz to fourth.

Now, what would you also call me a racist?

There have been multiple black contestants that I've loved. But me not liking these above mentioned contestants(because I wasn't sold on them and had other favorites) doesn't make me racist. It just shows I preferred others. You know I voted for Kyndal bur not for Myracle even if she had a better performance(#recencybias). That clearly doesn't make me a racist? Does it?

Ok, but you’re one person. You can’t speak for everyone who is voting.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, season1 said:

Tessanne Chin won in Season 5. 

I thought Toneisha had a pretty good chance in S18. I was rooting for her and Thunderstorm. 

Thanks! I forgot about her! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Daillon said:

I have to admit, I often forget Tess when it comes to these topics, so yeah, it’s true a black woman has won this show. But we also have to take into account that as sad as this is, she might have faced less prejudice just because she had a light skin color (doesn’t take away from the fact that Tess probably has faced other issues, per example colorism as @mercfan3said)

Thank you. I decided not to comment on this because I wasn't sure how to phrase it in a respectful manner, but I think you nailed it

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Daillon said:

Still, only one out of 20 winners. Tess winning doesn’t mean that the issue doesn’t exist.

Ok, which were those seasons(other than S5) where, in your opinion, a black woman deserved to win?

I can only think of s14. And even then we all know Kyla hits a lot of crazy high notes which can't be bear by many people(I still dig it though).

Edited by Hamza Tufail

Just now, Hamza Tufail said:

Ok, which were those seasons where, in your opinion, a black woman deserved to win?

I can only think of s14. And even then we all know Kyla hits a lot of crazy high notes which can't be bear by many people(I still dig it though).

Toneisha, Rose, DeSz, Amanda, Kimberly are a few that come to mind. This isn't by personal preference -- I don't like Amanda and Toneisha as much as most people on here. However, these people gave consistently great performances that merited a win, particularly Rose who showed incredible versatility while singing extremely well throughout the competition. I'm not saying all of them deserved to win over the other finalists/semifinalists, but I am saying that the fact that none of them won is an eyebrow-raiser.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Ok, which were those seasons(other than S5) where, in your opinion, a black woman deserved to win?

Let me just put this here...

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Toneisha, Rose, DeSz, Amanda, Kimberly are a few that come to mind. This isn't by personal preference -- I don't like Amanda and Toneisha as much as most people on here. However, these people gave consistently great performances that merited a win, particularly Rose who showed incredible versatility while singing extremely well throughout the competition. I'm not saying all of them deserved to win over the other finalists/semifinalists, but I am saying that the fact that none of them won is an eyebrow-raiser.

14 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

Let me just put this here...

- I completely forgot Amanda. She is the AA Queen. Her battle, KO, PO, stars, and A natural woman, all were 10/10(imo). So I give you that. But with that said, you have to understand not many people can bear crazy high notes. Amanda was deserving of win but she got robbed because the core audience didn't care for her.

- Extremely Sorry but Rose was boring, Desz and Toneisha weren't consistent (Carter and Todd were more consistent imo).

- Kimberly had a polarizing tone. I can't beat it. And on top of that she is a diva(Rose is diva as well) and divas aren't minivan's style.

Of course you can disagree about the last four but my point still stands. The reason they didn't win isn't because of their skin color, but it's because they aren't what the core audience normally likes.

Edited by Hamza Tufail

12 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

lul don't tell them that their favorites didn't "deserve" to win, That's exactly their point, even though we could easily make an argument for half of the top 40 being a deserving winner every season lol.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ammonium said:

Before seson 18, 29 were female out of 64 finalist (35 male)

But last 3 seasons (including current), there were only 3 females from 15 finalists.

Did foramt change affected to this somehow?

And two of those 3 are AA females. 

I don’t think the coaches should be let off the hook here. They are the one’s who decide who to push on their teams. For example, 5 of 6 of Blake’s finalists over the past 3 seasons are male, and he had a lot to with it. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Of course you can disagree about the last four but my point still stands. The reason they didn't win isn't because of their skin color, but it's because they aren't what the core audience normally likes.

Absolutely disagree here. 
isn’t it way too much of a coincidence that the core audience always likes someone white way more than someone black? Bk gave the perfect example with Keisha, and the country-pop-soul thing is crap considering the vast majority of her performances were country, and still didn’t get voted through.

Yes, sexism is HUGE too, and you can’t blame the results 100% on genre bias, that’s just naive

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

isn’t it way too much of a coincidence that the core audience always likes someone white way more than someone black? Bk gave the perfect example with Keisha, and the country-pop-soul thing is crap considering the vast majority of her performances were country, and still didn’t get voted through.

Yes, sexism is HUGE too, and you can’t blame the results 100% on genre bias, that’s just naive

^ This. 

24 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

I’m not going to go down that road, sorry.

11 minutes ago, echoap said:

lul don't tell them that their favorites didn't "deserve" to win, That's exactly their point, even though we could easily make an argument for half of the top 40 being a deserving winner every season lol.

If you say so. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

Some food for thought:

Resident population of the United States by race for 2019 (in millions)

Characteristic    White      Black/AA Amer Indian/Alaska Native     Asian      Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander     Two or more races
2019    250.52 44.08 4.19    19.5     0.81 9.14

8 minutes ago, monkshood said:

Some food for thought:

Resident population of the United States by race for 2019 (in millions)

Characteristic    White      Black/AA Amer Indian/Alaska Native     Asian      Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander     Two or more races
2019    250.52 44.08 4.19    19.5     0.81 9.14

It would be more interesting to know those %s but from contestants who turned a chair on The Voice, and see how those percentages change each round. I have a theory of how that would go.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

- I completely forgot Amanda. She is the AA Queen. Her battle, KO, PO, stars, and A natural woman, all were 10/10(imo). So I give you that. But with that said, you have to understand not many people can bear crazy high notes. Amanda was deserving of win but she got robbed because the core audience didn't care for her.

- Extremely Sorry but Rose was boring, Desz and Toneisha weren't consistent (Carter and Todd were more consistent imo).

- Kimberly had a polarizing tone. I can't beat it. And on top of that she is a diva(Rose is diva as well) and divas aren't minivan's style.

I mean most of this stuff is opinions. The only thing that isn't an opinion is that people can't bear the crazy high notes. How did Alisan Porter win then?

Edited by QueenCami
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, QueenCami said:

I mean most of this stuff is opinions. The only thing that isn't an opinion is that people can't bear the crazy high notes. So why did Alisan Porter win then?

And I oop-

still love u Alisan

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Extremely Sorry but Rose was boring

I wonder why the user think this towards Rose (one of the most entertaining vocalists we’ve had, even non fans of her agree) but don’t think that of someone like Victor (similar genre, just..........male)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

That's straight up not true. Just a couple of seasons ago Toneisha slayed four girls. This season we have Cam beating Jordan and Pete.

And for every Keisha Renee I could name a lot of female country singers not getting votes despite being good singers. 

Again, it's really difficult to have a discussion when people are trying so hard to convince themselves. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Daillon said:

And I oop-

still love u Alisan

Alisan's one of my favorites, and I 100% think she deserved her win lmao, I'm just using her as an example of someone who won even with all the crazy high notes.

7 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

I mean most of this stuff is opinions. The only thing that isn't an opinion is that people can't bear the crazy high notes. How did Alisan Porter win then?

I'm not gonna explain why because then y'all will say how Kennedy didn't win and when I'll say something about her y'all might get offended. So I'm just gonna end this here. Have a nice day. 🙂

Just now, Hamza Tufail said:

I'm not gonna explain why because then y'all will say how Kennedy didn't win and when I'll say something about her y'all might get offended. So I'm just gonna end this here. Have a nice day. 🙂

I hope you have a nice day too! ^_^

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, echoap said:

That's straight up not true. Just a couple of seasons ago Toneisha slayed four girls. This season we have Cam beating Jordan and Pete.

And for every Keisha Renee I could name a lot of female country singers not getting votes despite being good singers. 

Again, it's really difficult to have a discussion when people are trying so hard to convince themselves. 

not you switching the topic to female country singers (predominantly white) when that’s not what this is about......anyways, since it’s “absolutely not true”, explain this.....

Ali Caldwell being beat by Josh Gallagher

Kyla Jade and Spensha Baker being beat by BOTH Brynn and Britton (and they were both team Blake)

Keisha (and Davon)  beat by Red, Noah, and Adam

Kymberli Joye being beat by Reagan Strange

Beth Griffith Manley being beat by Rebecca Howell

Rose being 4th

Dana being beat by Rachel 

Desz being beat by Ian, Jim, and Carter (after frankly, being more consistent) 

Jordan beating Dana, Gihanna, and Pia

edit: not saying some of these were deserving or not, it’s about the evident common factor

and these are just the ones that came to mind.....

Yes, there are examples of AA females coming in victorious in situations but I can’t believe you just said it’s “absolutely not true” and proceeded to give 2-3 examples (and frankly, both were Blake influenced) do you really think Toneisha/Cam would’ve had the successes they had on the show had they not been on Team Blake? 

Edited by TheVoiceFan2
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

Ali Caldwell being beat by Josh Gallagher

Kyla Jade and Spensha Baker being beat by BOTH Brynn and Britton (and they were both team Blake)

Keisha (and Davon)  beat by Red, Noah, and Adam

Kymberli Joye being beat by Reagan Strange

Beth Griffith Manley being beat by Rebecca Howell

Dana being beat by Rachel 

Desz being beat by Ian, Jim, and Carter (after frankly, being more consistent) 

Jordan beating Dana, Gihanna, and Pia

Some of these were deserved (imo), but your point still stands. The first example is enough to justify that. :wacko:

• Like 2

• istersay locked and unlocked this topic