Jump to content

Voice General Discussion 2 🧵


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

:wub:

If they wanted to do Brynn promo, they probably could have picked a better performance, but I guess since blind auditions get more views that's what they were going for. Her BA is great, but she's done better work on the show.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two years ago yesterday, Janice Freeman passed away😭 Janice is one of my favorite contestants of all time. All of her performances were absolutely incredible, and her battle, KO, playoff, and T12 perf

Voice season 21 virtual casting is open for Dec 10 & 11th, if you've ever wanted to try to get past multiple rounds of producers and evaluators only to be mocked by people in an internet forum 

y’all need to hear this story about our beloved coach Usher. apparently he went to a club recently and paid the dancers in “Usher Bucks” as opposed to actual money... like the bills he gave them were

Posted Images

8 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing. Just posting another perspective on the Morgan Wallen situation, from African American country singer, Jimmie Allen.   I think it’s worth a read. 
 

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/jimmie-allen-says-some-critics-of-morgan-wallen-exploiting-incident/

I actually agree with him to a pretty good extent (I only really disagree with "the only way you can become offended is if you are so self-absorbed and you make something about you that’s not about you" part but that's something probably more for the politics page I guess lol)

 

But yeah. I know it's pretty popular and sometimes funny to make light of someone's downfall - especially over something as stupid and easily avoidable as Morgan's screwup - but Jimmie's right. Most of the actual "outrage" is not coming from the black community, and that's just based on my perception of the country community. If I had to guess, a significant chunk of the black community hadn't ever heard of him in the first place and probably don't care because a lot of them have probably heard/experienced worse than just another drunk white guy with a mullet randomly spew the N-word. Of course, Morgan's behavior wasn't acceptable and it'll be interesting to see how/if he makes a comeback and whether he's actually matured/learned anything, but Jimmie's perspective here is interesting. Also love that he called out all the performative activism associated with this event (and everything over the past year). So many people just want to give off the illusion of "wokeness" online, but I'm sure a lot of these people are hardly any better than him offline. Not defending Morgan at all, but I do feel there's some hypocrisy that most of the complaints/tweets aren't coming from the community that pretty much has a right to be offended/angered by him.

 

Anyway - looking forward to seeing how the Morgan Wallen situation pans out. It kind of feels unprecedented for someone who was at the top of their game to fall so hard and so quickly. Especially when he was just a random, forgettable top 20 finalist on The Voice.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

I actually agree with him to a pretty good extent (I only really disagree with "the only way you can become offended is if you are so self-absorbed and you make something about you that’s not about you" part but that's something probably more for the politics page I guess lol)

 

But yeah. I know it's pretty popular and sometimes funny to make light of someone's downfall - especially over something as stupid and easily avoidable as Morgan's screwup - but Jimmie's right. Most of the actual "outrage" is not coming from the black community, and that's just based on my perception of the country community. If I had to guess, a significant chunk of the black community hadn't ever heard of him in the first place and probably don't care because a lot of them have probably heard/experienced worse than just another drunk white guy with a mullet randomly spew the N-word. Of course, Morgan's behavior wasn't acceptable and it'll be interesting to see how/if he makes a comeback and whether he's actually matured/learned anything, but Jimmie's perspective here is interesting. Also love that he called out all the performative activism associated with this event (and everything over the past year). So many people just want to give off the illusion of "wokeness" online, but I'm sure a lot of these people are hardly any better than him offline. Not defending Morgan at all, but I do feel there's some hypocrisy that most of the complaints/tweets aren't coming from the community that pretty much has a right to be offended/angered by him.

 

Anyway - looking forward to seeing how the Morgan Wallen situation pans out. It kind of feels unprecedented for someone who was at the top of their game to fall so hard and so quickly. Especially when he was just a random, forgettable top 20 finalist on The Voice.


Yeah, I value his thoughts on this much more than those of Maren Morris. I think she’s at the top of the list of people he’s referring to. 

Edited by TeamAudra
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:


Yeah, I value his thoughts on this much more than those of Maren Morris. I think she’s at the top of the list of people he’s referring to. 

Agreed.

And granted, I'm glad that people like Maren are speaking up to try to eliminate this kind of stuff from the community because she's probably one of the voices that more people will listen to, but they don't ever need to be the loudest voices in the room. I'll take Mickey Guyton, Jimmie Allen, or what the hell... even K*ne Br*wn's perspective over Maren and other allies' words. She's got good intentions but her and so many others need to share the mic and let the others speak please. I think Keisha Renee was speaking about some racist responses she received during her time on the show but I don't recall what she said specifically. I'd be very interested in hearing more about that. Spensha, Kirk, and even Angie Keilhauer or Valerie Ponzio should have some unique perspectives as some of the POC country contestants that the show's had as well.

Edited by Someone648
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Does anybody else find it funny that Nick is "coaching" Dana, a woman 15 years older than him?

I believe that's about the same gap that Adam had with Regina Love lol

Dana doesn't really need "coaching." She just needs some exposure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Agreed.

And granted, I'm glad that people like Maren are speaking up to try to eliminate this kind of stuff from the community because she's probably one of the voices that more people will listen to, but they don't ever need to be the loudest voices in the room. I'll take Mickey Guyton, Jimmie Allen, or what the hell... even K*ne Br*wn's perspective over Maren and other allies' words. She's got good intentions but her and so many others need to share the mic and let the others speak please. I think Keisha Renee was speaking about some racist responses she received during her time on the show but I don't recall what she said specifically. I'd be very interested in hearing more about that. Spensha, Kirk, and even Angie Keilhauer or Valerie Ponzio should have some unique perspectives as some of the POC country contestants that the show's had as well.


I’m interested in what any of them have to say. Maren is free to speak her  mind on it, but it did feel like she was trying to draw a little too much attention to herself. I’m not sure what she’s done to support the black community. Mickey Guyton on the other hand...lots of credibility, even though her opinion differs from Jimmie’s. Of course, nobody is saying what he did is OK, and that there shouldn’t be repercussions. The context of it complicates things quite a bit for a lot of people. One thing almost everyone agrees on is that Morgan has some work to do on himself. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

If I had to guess, a significant chunk of the black community hadn't ever heard of him in the first place and probably don't care because a lot of them have probably heard/experienced worse than just another drunk white guy with a mullet randomly spew the N-word.

You’re probably right here, but that doesn’t make the situation any better. The standards shouldn’t be that low.

 

At the same time White people do take this situation in order to appear as saviors, which was a solid point brought tbh. Having “wokeness” from white people is great but it quickly becomes hypocritical if it actively overshadows the opinion of those actually affected.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

You’re probably right here, but that doesn’t make the situation any better. The standards shouldn’t be that low.

 

At the same time White people do take this situation in order to appear as saviors, which was a solid point brought tbh. Having “wokeness” from white people is great but it quickly becomes hypocritical if it actively overshadows the opinion of those actually affected.

Oh of course! I don't think anybody engaging in behaviors like Morgan's are excusable. And having people blame it on his drunkenness is pathetic, too. I'm a firm believer in the "drunk words are sober thoughts" concept and while maybe Morgan himself probably doesn't have any actual negative thoughts towards the black community (we can only hope lol), it's about time that somebody get called out and face some consequences for those behaviors. Interesting to see the country community kind of split over the issue though.

Edited by Someone648
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Someone648 said:

I'll take Mickey Guyton, Jimmie Allen, or what the hell... even K*ne Br*wn's perspective over Maren and other allies' words.

Kane is biracial and was actually bullied for that when he was a kid. The name-calling that he experienced included that word. :no:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing. Just posting another perspective on the Morgan Wallen situation, from African American country singer, Jimmie Allen.   I think it’s worth a read. 
 

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/jimmie-allen-says-some-critics-of-morgan-wallen-exploiting-incident/


I’ve gotten cynical in my old age. I read this and my first thought was that Jimmie is angling to get an opening act spot on Morgan’s comeback tour.

 

And really, what better way to mess with people’s heads?  Boycott Morgan or support one of the few current Black Country artists?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something interesting I noticed: Courtnie Ramirez and Lauren Diaz swapped battle partners in the knockouts. Unfortunately for them, their opponents were We McDonald and Ali Caldwell, so they were both kinda screwed lmao

 

edit: And I actually liked both of them so it's sad that they were kind of used as fodder for We and Ali in the knockouts

Edited by QueenCami
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Something interesting I noticed: Courtnie Ramirez and Lauren Diaz swapped battle partners in the knockouts. Unfortunately for them, their opponents were We McDonald and Ali Caldwell, so they were both kinda screwed lmao

 

edit: And I actually liked both of them so it's sad that they were kind of used as fodder for We and Ali in the knockouts

I wish Adam stole Lauren instead of Josh, I think she would've had a shot at the second PV

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AliXRose said:

I wish Adam stole Lauren instead of Josh, I think she would've had a shot at the second PV

She was goooood. I listened to both of the battles on Metatube, since I've just been listening to the studio recordings on spotify, and Lauren held up to her studio version! Courtnie was good, yes, but she was definitely not as good as she was on the studio recordings (and neither was Ali). We was very very good, but slightly worse than in the studio IMO cause there was one note she messed up a bit. Lauren didn't falter though. At all. I need to watch her knockout (after class lmao), but I think unless she flopped in the KOs she deserved to move on the lives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

She was goooood. I listened to both of the battles on Metatube, since I've just been listening to the studio recordings on spotify, and Lauren held up to her studio version! Courtnie was good, yes, but she was definitely not as good as she was on the studio recordings (and neither was Ali). We was very very good, but slightly worse than in the studio IMO cause there was one note she messed up a bit. Lauren didn't falter though. At all. I need to watch her knockout (after class lmao), but I think unless she flopped in the KOs she deserved to move on the lives.

listening to Lauren's KO, it wasn't as perfect as her battle. There were slight control things imo, but I could easily be wrong lol. I don't think she should have gone home after that but I think Ali's KO just blew it out of the water tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Their is a power imbalance at country radio and in mainstream country that rewards the “good Black” (and women) who try to work inside the structure instead of disrupt it. Charlie pride is lionized by white country bc he didn’t spend a lot of time calling out all the hate he received.

 

I’m not saying this is part of Jimmie Allen’s thought process, but we should also keep it in mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Their is a power imbalance at country radio and in mainstream country that rewards the “good Black” (and women) who try to work inside the structure instead of disrupt it. Charlie pride is lionized by white country bc he didn’t spend a lot of time calling out all the hate he received.

 

I’m not saying this is part of Jimmie Allen’s thought process, but we should also keep it in mind. 


I think it’s just extremely complicated because of not only the context, but the differing backgrounds of people. Jimmie certainly isn’t saying it’s OK. He just believes strongly in forgiveness, much like the girlfriend of the President of Morgan’s label. I take them at their word. Personally, I don’t care if I ever hear another Morgan Wallen song, but I also don’t think he should be banished from ever working again, or “cancelled.” He definitely has a lot of work to do before he attempts a comeback, though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

listening to Lauren's KO, it wasn't as perfect as her battle. There were slight control things imo, but I could easily be wrong lol. I don't think she should have gone home after that but I think Ali's KO just blew it out of the water tbh.

I actually never listen to the studios, I prefer live but I though her live KO was still very good and emotional. Alicia’s argument for not stealing her back was that she had already someone in the same lane, which is true since she had already lost to Wé (ironically she stole back Josh H. who lost to Kylie which was part of her playoffs team lmao). Anyway I think she would’ve stood out in Adam’s male dominated team but he was obsessed with beating Blake with a country artist so he stole Gallagher 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AliXRose said:

I actually never listen to the studios, I prefer live but I though her live KO was still very good and emotional. Alicia’s argument for not stealing her back was that she had already someone in the same lane, which is true since she had already lost to Wé (ironically she stole back Josh H. who lost to Kylie which was part of her playoffs team lmao). Anyway I think she would’ve stood out in Adam’s male dominated team but he was obsessed with beating Blake with a country artist so he stole Gallagher 

Off-topic, but the fact that he couldn't achieve that in 16 seasons and Kelly literally did it on her second season is hillarious 😂😂

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:


I think it’s just extremely complicated because of not only the context, but the differing backgrounds of people. Jimmie certainly isn’t saying it’s OK. He just believes strongly in forgiveness, much like the girlfriend of the President of Morgan’s label. I take them at their word. Personally, I don’t care if I ever hear another Morgan Wallen song, but I also don’t think he should be banished from ever working again, or “cancelled.” He definitely has a lot of work to do before he attempts a comeback, though. 

Many people fully believe in forgiveness, but also believe in consequences, and personal forgiveness isn't the same as professional consequences. Also Morgan hasn't been "cancelled" you can go buy and stream his music right now if you'd like. He's also got multiple headlining festival gigs set for this summer. And consequences aren't "cancelling" 

 

Anyways I can't speak for Jimmy, I'm merely pointing out that there is a massive power imbalance that has in the past led to some individuals not speaking out due to a fear of their own professional consequences or an ingrained culture. 

Edited by seak05
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

What would have happened if Mikele Buck (S15) had made lives ?


Pretty difficult to know without hearing him sing more than once. All we know he was used as fodder for Chevel. BTW, he took that well. I saw him comment on an Instagram post that he thought she would win the show, and this was around the airing of her KO. They became friends. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mistake006 said:

I don’t know if anyone knew this but Brennen Henson and Brennan Lassiter from S17 are married and expecting a child. Time really flies.

I believe it was posted here sometime ago.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...