The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

I think being able to make music as a viable career and increased income for gigs (for touring artists) can be considered as success. Being signed to a label, release new music, good record/album sales, radio airplay, in addition to steady gigs and shows, are also among the successes. For some, success would come from writing songs that are recorded by others and became hits. For some, more opportunities to perform with big acts or solo.

As to life-changing results from The Voice, ask anyone of the alumni featured on Blake's 10th year video, and everyone of them would probably tell you that their life changed because of The Voice. And there are many more alumni whose life changed from being on The Voice, some big changes, some small changes.  A confirmation that music is your life's work, partly from The Voice experience, is life changing.

Just like anything else, if they want to succeed, they have to work for it. Nothing is free. The Voice can give you a good starting point; it can get you noticed, and it can open up connections. For Cassadee, The Voice gave her 2nd shot at a music career and enabled her to successfully switch genre. For Danielle, The Voice got her noticed in Nashville and she was signed to Big Machine the day after she won. It was a great opportunity for a teen whose blind audition was her first public performance. They had early successes  with sales and airplay; long-term successes are still work in progress. Danielle is still with BMLG [Big Machine Label Group] while Cassadee is with an independent label. They both still make good living in the music industry, 8 years after their win.

Edited by season1
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, season1 said:

I think being able to make music as a viable career and increased income for gigs (for touring artists) can be considered as success. Being signed to a label, release new music, good record/album sales,, radio airplay, in addition to steady gigs and shows, are also among the successes. For some, success would come from writing songs that are recorded by others and became hits. For some, more opportunities to perform with big acts or solo.

As to life-changing results from The Voice, ask anyone of the alumni featured on Blake's 10th year video, and everyone of them would probably tell you that their life changed because of The Voice. And there are many more alumni whose life changed from being on The Voice, some big changes, some small changes.  A confirmation that music is your life's work, partly from The Voice experience, is life changing.

Just like anything else, if they want to succeed, they have to work for it. Nothing is free. The Voice can give you a good starting point; it can get you noticed, and it can open up connections. For Cassadee, The Voice gave her 2nd shot at a music career and enabled her to successfully switch genre. For Danielle, The Voice got her noticed in Nashville and she was signed to Big Machine the day after she won. It was a great opportunity for a teen whose blind audition was her first public performance. They had early successes  with sales and airplay; long-term successes are still work in progress. Danielle is still with BMLG [Big Machine Label Group] while Cassadee is with an independent label. They both still make good living in the music industry.

Sure, you’re referencing the two early winners I mentioned, who’ve had some success. Since then, it’s been rather sad for winners, other than Jordan’s short term blip of success with the help of Roma Downey. Is it a total loss? Of course not. I said I could make a list of several winners who are now better off. It’s just the combination of lack of support from NBC, RR, and the audience of the show, combined with contestants who aren’t very good at promoting themselves, and we end up with 20 seasons and no mainstream stars, other than a country singer who is on the shelf for saying the “N” word. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

Sure, you’re referencing the two early winners I mentioned, who’ve had some success. Since then, it’s been rather sad for winners, other than Jordan’s short term blip of success with the help of Roma Downey. Is it a total loss? Of course not. I said I could make a list of several winners who are now better off. It’s just the combination of lack of support from NBC, RR, and the audience of the show, combined with contestants who aren’t very good at promoting themselves, and we end up with 20 seasons and no mainstream stars, other than a country singer who is on the shelf for saying the “N” word. 

I don't think NBC RR and the coaches promised anyone a rose garden stardom even though the coaches often use hyperbole when lobbying for their team. Unlike American Idol that focuses on "producing" Idols or stars, The Voice has always been about the coaches and in the beginning, more about showcasing experienced talents (thus no upper age limit). Team quota in the finale = all about the coaches.

Most contestants I think understand that the show is more about exposure than anything else. That's why I am really disappointed with the shortened seasons (18-20) when we have great talents but short on exposure. 

• Like 2

Just now, season1 said:

I don't think NBC RR and the coaches promised anyone a rose garden stardom even though the coaches often use hyperbole when lobbying for their team. Unlike American Idol that focuses on "producing" Idols or stars, The Voice has always been about the coaches and in the beginning, more about showcasing experienced talents (thus no upper age limit). Team quota in the finale = all about the coaches.

Most contestants I think understand that the show is more about exposure than anything else. That's why I am really disappointed with the shortened seasons (18-20) when we have great talents but short on exposure. 

Yeah, I made that point earlier too, with that “Blake did it” post on IG. It’s a bad format for the contestants, combined with poor post-show support. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, season1 said:

I think the 5 person finale is an acknowledgement of the need to get more singers exposure. It’s not about winning, so having more of them get to the end helps even out the shorter season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

I think the 5 person finale is an acknowledgement of the need to get more singers exposure. It’s not about winning, so having more of them get to the end helps even out the shorter season.

3 weeks of lives is still a short time in terms of exposure, compared to 7 weeks in the first 12 seasons, or even compared to 5 weeks before S18.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

I think they did that to allow team quotas without getting rid of the IS.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

16 hours ago, Daillon said:

I think they did that to allow team quotas without getting rid of the IS.

Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF

18 hours ago, season1 said:

3 weeks of lives is still a short time in terms of exposure, compared to 7 weeks in the first 12 seasons, or even compared to 5 weeks before S18.

5 people make the finale out of an original 40, so you have a 12.5% chance of making it to the end. Compare that to a “before” season where only 3 out of 48 made it to the end, or 6.25%. 

It’s a shorter season, but you have twice the chance of getting all the possible exposure.

2 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

5 people make the finale out of an original 40, so you have a 12.5% chance of making it to the end. Compare that to a “before” season where only 3 out of 48 made it to the end, or 6.25%. 

It’s a shorter season, but you have twice the chance of getting all the possible exposure.

I'm not going to do the math on this, but I think the expected value of the amount of time someone is on the show was probably greater before the change than after. I agree that a greater proportion of people make it to the finale. If we consider the expected amount of time on the show, I suspect it'll be less; different metrics yield different conclusions here.

I agree with what VintageVoice said above. I think that it's a combination of what you and Daillon have said.

Edited by QueenCami
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

There were 4 finalists before the change, but I really don’t think it had anything to do with getting the contestants more exposure. Since when have they cared about that? It’s all about making sure each coach is represented in the finale. 

• Like 5

This is random, but I don't know where to post this so I'll put it here: I go on Metatube to listen to performances often 'cause they aren't on YouTube, but I hate how it's run. First, and more importantly, the video pauses if the website goes out of focus. Second, I was listening to These Dreams (Stephanie vs. Jackie) - a 2:20 long video - and I got five ads. And as the cherry on top, the ads I got were all the same one, and were all in a language I don't know.

Does anyone know where else I can watch these performances? I'm happy to stick with Metatube if it's the only option since it provides a great service, but if there's another option, then I'd wanna try that.

Edited by QueenCami

4 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

This is random, but I don't know where to post this so I'll put it here: I go on Metatube to listen to performances often 'cause they aren't on YouTube, but I hate how it's run. First, and more importantly, the video pauses if the website goes out of focus. Second, I was listening to These Dreams (Stephanie vs. Jackie) - a 2:20 long clip - and I got five 30 second ads. I was listening to ads for longer than I was to the song itself LOL. And as the cherry on top, the ads I got were all the same one, and were all in a language I don't know.

Does anyone know where else I can watch these performances? I'm happy to stick with Metatube if it's the only option since it provides a great service, but if there's another option, then I'd wanna try that.

Do you want to see the performances or just listen? Apple Music has a lot of them 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Do you want to see the performances or just listen? Apple Music has a lot of them 

I like to watch them, since some are much better on stage than in the studio. I do listen to them on Spotify often, though! Sometimes, I just want to see the live/on-show version.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QueenCami said:

This is random, but I don't know where to post this so I'll put it here: I go on Metatube to listen to performances often 'cause they aren't on YouTube, but I hate how it's run. First, and more importantly, the video pauses if the website goes out of focus. Second, I was listening to These Dreams (Stephanie vs. Jackie) - a 2:20 long video - and I got five ads. And as the cherry on top, the ads I got were all the same one, and were all in a language I don't know.

Goty tv on chrome has full episodes. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Angeles said:

Random, but did people like Rachel Messer back in S15? I loved her BA (& I thought she won her battle (from what we heard)), but she isn't talked about much on IDF.  

I did not like her at all :stealth:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Cam says he’s very excited about the record deal with RR. I didn’t want to say anything in his fan thread, but yikes. Hasn’t anyone warned him? 

He already left one record label... Let’s hope RR is good to him (and Carter for that matter)... 🥺🤞

• Like 2

Just now, Bk1234 said:

He already left one record label... Let’s hope RR is good to him (and Carter for that matter)... 🥺🤞

Dr Dre’s label. I don’t know whether that label is good or not, but I can’t imagine them being any less supportive than Republic. I can’t believe he doesn’t know the history. 

• Sad 1

I definitely think that the voice is heading into a new era of getting current coaches onto the show, let me explain. 

ever since s11 we got big names to be on the show. from Miley Cyrus and Alicia Keys to Jennifer Hudson to Kelly Clarkson to John Legend to Nick Jonas but now with the addition of Ariana Grande, a current artist topping the charts and releasing 3 albums in the span of 2 years getting #1s (if you couldn’t guess by now I love Ari) I definitely think in these next few seasons coming ahead we are going to get some names that are topping the charts to bring in more viewers to the show, examples include Taylor Swift to Dua Lipa to Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber or Ed Sheeran. Let’s face it, viewing has gone down season after season and people aren’t interested to the show like during the prime (1-6, or at least I consider the prime). This way getting current and popular artists will 1. Create buzz for the show, wasn’t Ari announcement post the most liked post on their IG page correct me if I’m wrong though 2. People will watch and 3. More social media engagement amongst fans of the artist, new fans interested, or people returning to the show after not watching for a period of time. And now with a season gone from the tv cycle means more money to pay coaches to come on the show. Also, there will come a point in time where Blake or Kelly leaves the show or fans who have been watching for a long time will not anymore, with the new fans watching for their favorite coach or now because of the show, they can still get a decent number of views. Additionally, with new and popular coaches probably comes brands wanting to sponsor them so added bonus. To wrap up this lengthy post, with Ari coming in just a few more months, I think The Voice is heading into a new direction into picking their new coaches, to keep the show still fresh and current and keeping NBC making money, getting the artists that are topping the charts. What do you guys think? 

: )

thanks to @jus.vshn for telling me to post this

• Like 1

Corey and Jose did an IG Live and confirmed that the contract they're under explicitly forbids them to cover any songs on social media for a set amount of time. You also need to ask permission to do gigs and promotions for an entire year, especially if you plan on using The Voice brand as part of your promotion.

They are also very surprised at the amount of people this season that are bypassing these rules.

5 minutes ago, Teraginn said:

Corey and Jose did an IG Live and confirmed that the contract they're under explicitly forbids them to cover any songs on social media for a set amount of time. You also need to ask permission to do gigs and promotions for an entire year, especially if you plan on using The Voice brand as part of your promotion.

They are also very surprised at the amount of people this season that are bypassing these rules.

Jordan had one show now since the finale, and is already having another one on Thursday.