idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
Someone648

The Voice S18 - Spoilers/News/Updates

1 minute ago, CaptainOggy6320 said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see no crosses or anything religious in that set up. Not unless he mentions in his package that he's recording in a church. I'm not a fan of Todd but we should give the guy a break. Maybe that's his only good location to set all that up. Can't blame him on that. 

They know what they are doing, like Gyth's "God Bless The USA" stunt. and his whole country-boy from the rural area with the hick life. Lmao, they know how to get votes, its just the matter of who will take him down.... if he can get taken down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Archanium said:

Or maybe he'll go down like the one singer who happened to sing Hallelujah for the finale :rolleyes:

ugh..... I'll quit the show tbh lmao.

• Haha 1

Just now, QueenMae16 said:

They know what they are doing, like Gyth's "God Bless The USA" stunt. and his whole country-boy from the rural area with the hick life. Lmao, they know how to get votes, its just the matter of who will take him down.... if he can get taken down.

Minivan loves him but they also love Thunderstorm so we'll see.

I'm not going to argue that he knows how to get votes - he's been putting in a lot of work for trying to build up his fanbase and practicing live-streaming via Facebook, but it's a whole different ballgame when it's your thousands of fans who likely share aspects of your background vs. an entire country that doesn't necessarily support you/prefers a different genre/is sick of the same type of singer always making the finale.

There is an American flag in the back. Will that be visible? :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Archanium said:

Or maybe he'll go down like the one singer who happened to sing Hallelujah for the finale :rolleyes:

As someone who adores Maelyn, she didn't need "Hallelujah" as a pandering move - being consistent as a performer and sticking out by being the one not-country singer on top of TPTB wanting the new coach in the finale meant that the song choice was not necessarily as high on the list of things that pushed her into the winning spot.

Just now, TeamAudra said:

There is an American flag in the back. Will that be visible? :rolleyes:

I didn't catch that, but again, we'll see how that goes tomorrow (my bet is probably because "pandering but make it subtle" would be a move that anyone who's seen the show and knows how divisive the "God Bless the USA" move was outside of social media might make if they still weren't confident on votes; then again, Todd is a Minivan favorite and on Team Blake so he has less to worry about than others on the show)

25 minutes ago, CaptainOggy6320 said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see no crosses or anything religious in that set up. Not unless he mentions in his package that he's recording in a church. I'm not a fan of Todd but we should give the guy a break. Maybe that's his only good location to set all that up. Can't blame him on that. 

He’s a pastor, correct? So his church is his home office. With 8 kids, I doubt he had that kind of space in his house. Plus he probably has experience singing there, but not in his living room, lol.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

As someone who adores Maelyn, she didn't need "Hallelujah" as a pandering move - being consistent as a performer and sticking out by being the one not-country singer on top of TPTB wanting the new coach in the finale meant that the song choice was not necessarily as high on the list of things that pushed her into the winning spot.

Even IF it was a pandering move, that Maelyin performance didn't feel like one, to me at least. And I feel the same about Todd. People already know that he is a Pastor, singing in a church is just part of his routine. 

• Like 1

If any contestant has a huge stage for them to actually perform on, that's just great for them. Nothing wrong with him performing there. If you got it, flaunt it.

(Although yeah, I'd definitely hope they remove anything that can be considered pandering...)

• Like 3

Pandering is usually referred to contestants singing a religious song out of nowhere, or when they are in danger, having never displayed any gospel influences or church singing background. In Todd´s case, he is a P-A-S-T-O-R and he has acknowleged that since the beginning, so naturally singing at church is something he has done on the daily baisis. Not to mention the good acoustics there and the bigger space for performance. I swear some of you guys see pandering in the slightest details, and while i like Todd , he is not even my favorite this season.

• Like 3

Yeah, I was mocking it slightly bc it is slightly "of course", but it's not pandering, and I don't actually have a problem with it. He *is* a pastor with 8 kids.

• Like 2

I dont think this is pandering unless they mention that he did this at his church, and even then it would be iffy. however, I think it's annoying that they constantly call him pastor Todd. for example, why wouldn't they just say construction worker Mandi (I know the comparison doesn't work lmao, but reason with me)? half the time they mention his name, they unnecessarily attach pastor in front of it and it feels very obvious to me that its for some reason beyond giving him respect

• Like 1

Wow. Some people here. 🙄

Do you really think Todd would have performed at a house with 8 kids in it? Of course he'd use his church, it has a freaking stage and great acoustics in it. It didn't even register to me that it was his church at the pic, so why are y'all so up at arms about it being "pandering"? We don't even know his song yet.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

Wow. Some people here. 🙄

Do you really think Todd would have performed at a house with 8 kids in it? Of course he'd use his church, it has a freaking stage and great acoustics in it. It didn't even register to me that it was his church at the pic, so why are y'all so up at arms about it being "pandering"? We don't even know his song yet.

Probably “How Great Thou Art” or something along those lines. :P

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Probably “How Great Thou Art” or something along those lines. :P

Nah, Joanna needs that song more than Todd does. 😇

2 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

Nah, Joanna needs that song more than Todd does. 😇

Probably, but she won’t get it. 

My most likely wrong guess at Joanna’s song choice. 

“American Honey” - Lady Antebellum. 

Which, of course, is the song Gracee sang in the playoffs. 

I'm guessing that with things as they are (thank you, coronavirus, except not😡), iTunes recordings are out of the question for this season's live rounds?

23 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Probably, but she won’t get it. 

She could always do Dolly, "I will always love you"

Why do you think Lady A? 

5 minutes ago, Rodney said:

I'm guessing that with things as they are (thank you, coronavirus, except not😡), iTunes recordings are out of the question for this season's live rounds?

I´m pretty sure they are. We´re gonna know the songs they are singing the second they announce it on the show, even for the bloodbath and finale.

18 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

My most likely wrong guess at Joanna’s song choice. 

“American Honey” - Lady Antebellum. 

Which, of course, is the song Gracee sang in the playoffs. 

I know Blake has a track record for making his artists go country, but how do we know he will do that with Joanna? There´s a possibility that he may let her stay in her jazzy lane. 

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

She could always do Dolly, "I will always love you"

Why do you think Lady A? 

1) She was listening to them a lot on Spotify. Her playlist is public, but it doesn’t display the song. 

2) She very recently followed them on Instagram. 

This is just wild speculation, and probably wrong, but it wouldn’t be the first time she’s performed a song from S17. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I know Blake has a track record for making his artists go country, but how do we know he will do that with Joanna? There´s a possibility that he may let her stay in her jazzy lane. 

She does occasionally dabble in country, though. She has a Shania cover on Facebook from just a few months ago. 

https://m.facebook.com/100001223393775/posts/2870375513013200/?d=n

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I don't really agree with this statement. He's had lots of artists who weren't country. 

(and the Dolly suggestion was if Joanna wanted a good semi-pandering song, not that I think she'll actually sing it). Joana has always felt country adjacent to me though, so songs in the americana/folk bent would be reasonable. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I don't really agree with this statement. He's had lots of artists who weren't country. 

(and the Dolly suggestion was if Joanna wanted a good semi-pandering song, not that I think she'll actually sing it). Joana has always felt country adjacent to me though, so songs in the americana/folk bent would be reasonable. 

I know he has had a lot of non country artists, but he´s made some of those artists go country on the show, like Pryor on S14,  Kat from last season, he had Aliyah Moulden sing a couple of country songs , he gave the non country Keith Paluso a classic country song for his battle, and is probably gonna keep going country with Todd. That being said, I don´t know if he´s gonna take Joanna in that direction as well. Either way, Blake usually knows what he´s doing, and he´s aware that country brings votes, so now that I think about it, he could have her sing some country that fits her tone.

Edited by Misirlou

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

I know he has had a lot of non country artists, but he´s made some of those artists go country on the show, like Pryor on S14,  Kat from last season, he had Aliyah Moulden sing a couple of country songs , he gave the non country Keith Paluso a classic country song for his battle, and is probably gonna keep going country with Todd. That being said, I don´t know if he´s gonna take Joanna in that direction as well. Either way, Blake usually knows what he´s doing, and he´s aware that country brings votes, so now that I think about it, he could have her sing some country that fits her tone.

Let’s put it this way. If she’s presented with 3 songs to choose from, as usual...two bad songs and a decent country song, like “American Honey”, she’s most likely going to pick the country song. That’s how it often goes with song choices.