The Voice S18 - Spoilers/News/Updates

Someone648

1 hour ago, Someone648 said:

By the way, this is how The Voice Switzerland handled their live finale in light of COVID:

God, I hope this isn't how the performances for The Voice US sounds. This is really bad.

Edited by indii
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, indii said:

God, I hope this isn't how the performances for The Voice US sounds. This is really bad.

Not only do they sound bad, but someone is going to win the show without ever having to sing live on national TV. They’ll be able to re-record their performances until they get it just right, and then TPTB will take those raw videos, and produce them as they see fit. We’ll never know who needs autotune, and who doesn’t. 

• We have official pairings and song choices from https://www.tvinsider.com/930307/the-voice-season-18-knockout-pairings-songs-mega-mentor-james-taylor/
  • Team Blake
    Joei Fulco ("When Will I Be Loved" by Linda Ronstadt) VS. Levi Watkins ("I Ain't Living Long Like This" by Waylon Jennings)

Team Kelly
    CammWess ("Say Something" by A Great Big World) VS. Megan Danielle ("Piece By Piece" by Kelly Clarkson)

Team Legend
    Darious Lyles ("Me and Mrs. Jones" by Billy Paul) VS. Mike Jerel ("Versace On the Floor" by Bruno Mars)

Team Blake
    Cam Spinks ("Rumor" by Lee Brice) VS. Todd Tilghman ("Anymore" by Travis Tritt)

Team Nick
    Roderick Chambers ("Redbone" by Childish Gambino) VS. Tate Brusa ("The Scientist" by Coldplay)

Team Legend 
    Joanna Serenko ("Angel From Montgomery" by John Prine) VS. Zan Fiskum ("The Story" by Brandi Carlile)

11 minutes ago, Forever504 said:
  • We have official pairings and song choices from https://www.tvinsider.com/930307/the-voice-season-18-knockout-pairings-songs-mega-mentor-james-taylor/
  • Team Blake
    Joei Fulco ("When Will I Be Loved" by Linda Ronstadt) VS. Levi Watkins ("I Ain't Living Long Like This" by Waylon Jennings)

Team Kelly
    CammWess ("Say Something" by A Great Big World) VS. Megan Danielle ("Piece By Piece" by Kelly Clarkson)

Team Legend
    Darious Lyles ("Me and Mrs. Jones" by Billy Paul) VS. Mike Jerel ("Versace On the Floor" by Bruno Mars)

Team Blake

Team Nick
    Roderick Chambers ("Redbone" by Childish Gambino) VS. Tate Brusa ("The Scientist" by Coldplay)

Team Legend 
    Joanna Serenko ("Angel From Montgomery" by John Prine) VS. Zan Fiskum ("The Story" by Brandi Carlile)

I originally thought Mike was sure to win his knockout, but I'm not too sure now based on his song choice. Doesn't he know that singing a Bruno Mars song is essentially the kiss of death on these singing shows? The only reason I still think he might win is because he was in the first battles episode, and first battle episode contestants don't lose their knockouts too often.

My predictions:

Joei vs. Levi

Megan vs. Camm (STOLEN BY JOHN)

Mike vs. Darious

Todd vs. Cam

Tate vs. Roderick

Zan vs. Joanna (STOLEN BY BLAKE)

Edited by indii

9 minutes ago, Forever504 said:
  • Team Blake

Team Kelly

Team Legend

Team Blake

Team Nick

Team Legend 

Tate definitely won.

Joei Fulco - When Will I Be Loved by Linda Ronstadt vs Levi Watkins - I Ain´t Living Long Like This by Waylon Jennings - Joei Wins

Megan Danielle - Piece by Piece by Kelly Clarkson vs CammWess - Say Something by A Great Big World - Megan Wins and John steals Cam

Darious Lyles - Me and Mrs. Jones by Billy Paul vs Mike Jerel - Versace on The Floor by Bruno Mars - TBA

Tate Brusa - The Scientist by Coldplay vs Roderick Chambers - Redbone by Childish Gambino - TBA

Todd Tilghman - Anymore by Travis Tritt vs Cam Spinks - Rumor by Lee Brice - TBA

Joanna Serenko - Angel from Montgomery by John Prine vs Zan Fiskum - The Story by Brandi Carlile - Zan wins and Blake steals Joanna

18 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Not only do they sound bad, but someone is going to win the show without ever having to sing live on national TV. They’ll be able to re-record their performances until they get it just right, and then TPTB will take those raw videos, and produce them as they see fit. We’ll never know who needs autotune, and who doesn’t. 

Breathe. It's not like winning matters anyways. Or like the best live singers make it to the finale. We have a lot going on right now, it's not going to be the same. Everyone is just trying to do the best they can in weird circumstances 

• Like 1

Just now, thevoiceisthetop said:

That means next week we get

Team Kelly:

Mandi Thomas vs Anaya Cheyenne

Micah Iverson vs Tayler Green

Team Nick: 

Allegra Miles vs Jacob Miller

Arei Moon vs Jon Mullins

Team John

Mandi Castillo vs Thunderstorm Artis

Team Blake

Toneisha Harris vs Cedrice

Dang, I like at least one artist in every pairing. That’ll be fun.

Joanna...

-Blind premiere pimp

spot

-Battle premiere, leaked

-KO premiere pimp spot 

It doesn’t guarantee anything, but they’re giving her a lot of help to make up for the boneheaded decisions of her coaches. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Breathe. It's not like winning matters anyways. Or like the best live singers make it to the finale. We have a lot going on right now, it's not going to be the same. Everyone is just trying to do the best they can in weird circumstances 

Don’t worry, The Voice is pretty far down my list of concerns. I’m breathing fine. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MatthewPalermo said:

If next week’s leak is one of the steals, that means either Toneisha or Thunderstorm will have been leaked 3 times :dead:

More than likely it will be Toneisha vs Cedrice because I don’t think they would want to leak a knockout that has made a mistake in the song (thunderstorm)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

Are you suggesting that Megan sounds better on the edited video than she did live, or that Cam sounded better live? Or, both?

Did I make any comment at all about audio in my post? No, I said the visual focus in the edit took the focus off of Cam too much and shifted the focus onto the coaches especially John making it less possible for the TV audience to be drawn into him the way the studio audience was. From a narrative perspective for what happens between the coaches I get why they did that, but I think it messed up the perception of the performance itself. I don't believe that it was purposely done or anything, but that's what I feel the affect was by that visual edit. When you are in the studio audience you obviously get to pick where your gaze is directed, honestly usually during Kelly's pairings I usually go between looking at the performer and glancing a few times to see Kelly's reactions, but this time I was so drawn in by Cam I stayed focused on him. Going into this performance I had seen both Cam and Megan live for their Battle performances. I really liked Megan and I wasn't that sold on Kelly using her save on Cam. I was expecting Megan to win and didn't see Cam's performance coming, I was definitely happy that Kelly gave him another chance on the show because he clearly showed he had the talent.

Since you are addressing me directly directly about audio edits, I guess this is as good time as any to address something you keep talking about all the time and that's whole notion that you think the contestants benefit from being autotuned during the pre-taped rounds and then they get exposed for not being able to sing live during lives. I think that theory is complete BS. I've been to countless live televised performances not only at The Voice, but at talk shows, award shows, televised concerts, etc. and  the audio I hear on TV is consistently worse than what I hear in person to the point where I think it's impossible to recreate what's heard live in person in a broadcast format. To be clear I don't think they autotune the pre-taped performances. The difference in quality of vocals between lives and pre-tapes in my opinion simply has to do with the increased nerves the contestants feel when performing live. If you witnessed what the pace of the show is during the pre-taped rounds versus the live rounds, especially the playoffs you would understand how dramatically different it is, even the most seasoned consistent performer could get thrown off kilter in that environment.  During the live playoffs taping  I went to for Season 15 they were putting the second and third performers in the segment down in the pit at the foot of the stage waiting for their turn while the first person performed and then there was the mad scramble to get the next performance set up during the coaches comments. There was one performance where they placed down the stool the contestant was sitting on at the very last second and the crew flew out of there and boom the guy had to sing. I hated how anxious it made me feel just watching I decided not to watch those performances live anymore. It wasn't an enjoyable experience, I can't even imagine how the contestants felt. The pre-tapes are completely different, there are pretty long breaks in between every performance, the contestants are kept backstage until it's time to do their performance. I'm assuming they have a bit more time to mentally prepare for the performance. The vibe in the studio just feels a lot more calm and orderly even though there's usually several things going on during the breaks.

I've seen a lot of former contestants live after they were on the show and no matter how little or how much I liked them when they were on the show, they all sounded better when I saw them outside of the show than when I saw them either live in The Voice studio or on TV. Generally speaking I don't think what we hear on The Voice is ever truly a reflection the best that they are capable of because it is a stressful experience in general and the songs that they sing on the show aren't always necessarily their first choice to sing. It's not even a matter of them having more time to hone their craft to account for the difference, I saw the majority of these contestants (about 16 or so) at a showcase the night after the Season 2 finale, it was then I realized the limitations the show had in showcasing these artists talents and basically it was good for gaining them a fan base by making them aware that they exist. I would encourage people on this board to go check out any of your local contestants live (once such activities are safe again of course), unless you're just not into their genre at all you'll probably enjoy it.

I probably should probably mention my personal history watching the show has been, I watched the first  two seasons, but stopped a few rounds into lives during Season 2 when three of my favorites didn't make it past that point. I went to tapings during both Season 1 and Season 2. I started regularly watching the show and attending tapings again starting with Season 15 when Kelly came on board as a coach.  I've seen former contestants outside the show at that showcase I mentioned, Kelly's concerts, their own shows at small clubs, a WNBA game at Staples Center, a county fair, on 3rd Street Promenade, and most oddly a The Voice event inside a furniture store. There have been times when I was at a show to see one contestant and their friend from the show would pop up and sing something as well. So my opinions and observations are based on those experiences.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, rhapsody99 said:

Did I make any comment at all about audio in my post? No, I said the visual focus in the edit took the focus off of Cam too much and shifted the focus onto the coaches especially John making it less possible for the TV audience to be drawn into him the way the studio audience was. From a narrative perspective for what happens between the coaches I get why they did that, but I think it messed up the perception of the performance itself. I don't believe that it was purposely done or anything, but that's what I feel the affect was by that visual edit. When you are in the studio audience you obviously get to pick where your gaze is directed, honestly usually during Kelly's pairings I usually go between looking at the performer and glancing a few times to see Kelly's reactions, but this time I was so drawn in by Cam I stayed focused on him. Going into this performance I had seen both Cam and Megan live for their Battle performances. I really liked Megan and I wasn't that sold on Kelly using her save on Cam. I was expecting Megan to win and didn't see Cam's performance coming, I was definitely happy that Kelly gave him another chance on the show because he clearly showed he had the talent.

Since you are addressing me directly directly about audio edits, I guess this is as good time as any to address something you keep talking about all the time and that's whole notion that you think the contestants benefit from being autotuned during the pre-taped rounds and then they get exposed for not being able to sing live during lives. I think that theory is complete BS. I've been to countless live televised performances not only at The Voice, but at talk shows, award shows, televised concerts, etc. and  the audio I hear on TV is consistently worse than what I hear in person to the point where I think it's impossible to recreate what's heard live in person in a broadcast format. To be clear I don't think they autotune the pre-taped performances. The difference in quality of vocals between lives and pre-tapes in my opinion simply has to do with the increased nerves the contestants feel when performing live. If you witnessed what the pace of the show is during the pre-taped rounds versus the live rounds, especially the playoffs you would understand how dramatically different it is, even the most seasoned consistent performer could get thrown off kilter in that environment.  During the live playoffs taping  I went to for Season 15 they were putting the second and third performers in the segment down in the pit at the foot of the stage waiting for their turn while the first person performed and then there was the mad scramble to get the next performance set up during the coaches comments. There was one performance where they placed down the stool the contestant was sitting on at the very last second and the crew flew out of there and boom the guy had to sing. I hated how anxious it made me feel just watching I decided not to watch those performances live anymore. It wasn't an enjoyable experience, I can't even imagine how the contestants felt. The pre-tapes are completely different, there are pretty long breaks in between every performance, the contestants are kept backstage until it's time to do their performance. I'm assuming they have a bit more time to mentally prepare for the performance. The vibe in the studio just feels a lot more calm and orderly even though there's usually several things going on during the breaks.

I've seen a lot of former contestants live after they were on the show and no matter how little or how much I liked them when they were on the show, they all sounded better when I saw them outside of the show than when I saw them either live in The Voice studio or on TV. Generally speaking I don't think what we hear on The Voice is ever truly a reflection the best that they are capable of because it is a stressful experience in general and the songs that they sing on the show aren't always necessarily their first choice to sing. It's not even a matter of them having more time to hone their craft to account for the difference, I saw the majority of these contestants (about 16 or so) at a showcase the night after the Season 2 finale, it was then I realized the limitations the show had in showcasing these artists talents and basically it was good for gaining them a fan base by making them aware that they exist. I would encourage people on this board to go check out any of your local contestants live (once such activities are safe again of course), unless you're just not into their genre at all you'll probably enjoy it.

I probably should probably mention my personal history watching the show has been, I watched the first  two seasons, but stopped a few rounds into lives during Season 2 when three of my favorites didn't make it past that point. I went to tapings during both Season 1 and Season 2. I started regularly watching the show and attending tapings again starting with Season 15 when Kelly came on board as a coach.  I've seen former contestants outside the show at that showcase I mentioned, Kelly's concerts, their own shows at small clubs, a WNBA game at Staples Center, a county fair, on 3rd Street Promenade, and most oddly a The Voice event inside a furniture store. There have been times when I was at a show to see one contestant and their friend from the show would pop up and sing something as well. So my opinions and observations are based on those experiences.

Interesting. I appreciate your perspective on things. I think most people here have suspected significant sound editing of the pre-lives, but I agree there are other factors at play. I watched Mary Sarah perform live for 90 minutes, and she didn’t miss a note, and her lower register never disappeared.

As for the autotune, there’s way too big of a difference between the live shows and the pre-lives for me to be convinced they don’t use it, but those other things you cited are definitely huge factors.  Not everyone can stand on that stage, with all of the cameras, and millions of people watching, and deliver. Add to that, the intense pressure of the daily schedule. I’ve said that many times as well. 

Edited by TeamAudra

My Predictions(We Already Know Some Results)

Joei Fulco V Levi Watkins 

Megan Danielle V CamWes(Steal By John)

Darious Lyles V Mike Jerel

Todd Tighman V Cam Spinks
Tate Brusa V Roderick Chambers

Zan Fiskum V Joana S(Steal By Blake)

BTW. I Picked Darious Over Mike Because Darious Will Be Singing A Much Slower Soulful Song That Will Prehaps Wow John. While Mike Will Be Pitchy, Singing Versace On The Floor.

Edited by VoiceTakeover890

26 minutes ago, rhapsody99 said:

From someone that's attended a few of the pre-taped performances, this is definitely true. The performances sound really good when you're there in the studio with the contestants, probably even better than what you hear on TV. I don't know if I'd say that performances go completely untouched, but the corrections they make to the audio are probably much slighter than people here think. Not like there's any noticable changes to the performances.

25 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Interesting. I appreciate your perspective on things. I think most people here have suspected significant sound editing of the pre-lives, but I agree there are other factors at play. I watched Mary Sarah perform live for 90 minutes, and she didn’t miss a note, and her lower register never disappeared.

As for the autotune, there’s way too big of a difference between the live shows and the pre-lives for me to be convinced they don’t use it, but those other things you cited are definitely huge factors.  Not everyone can stand on that stage, with all of the cameras, and millions of people watching, and deliver. Add to that, the intense pressure of the daily schedule. I’ve said that many times as well. 

It’s also just incredibly hard to broadcast a live vocal well on tv. That’s why you’ll often see subpar sounding live performances at award shows (& why most artists just choose to sing to track). For the pre-taped shows you can clean up the audio in editing to make it sound more like the actual live vocal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thevoiceisthetop said:

Joei Fulco - When Will I Be Loved by Linda Ronstadt vs Levi Watkins - I Ain´t Living Long Like This by Waylon Jennings - Joei Wins

Megan Danielle - Piece by Piece by Kelly Clarkson vs CammWess - Say Something by A Great Big World - Megan Wins and John steals Cam

Darious Lyles - Me and Mrs. Jones by Billy Paul vs Mike Jerel - Versace on The Floor by Bruno Mars - TBA

Tate Brusa - The Scientist by Coldplay vs Roderick Chambers - Redbone by Childish Gambino - TBA

Todd Tilghman - Anymore by Travis Tritt vs Cam Spinks - Rumor by Lee Brice - TBA

Joanna Serenko - Angel from Montgomery by John Prine vs Zan Fiskum - The Story by Brandi Carlile - Zan wins and Blake steals Joanna

I love Joei’s song choice. Joanna’s turned out to be quite timely, for all the wrong reasons.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, indii said:

From someone that's attended a few of the pre-taped performances, this is definitely true. The performances sound really good when you're there in the studio with the contestants, probably even better than what you hear on TV. I don't know if I'd say that performances go completely untouched, but the corrections they make to the audio are probably much slighter than people here think. Not like there's any noticable changes to the performances.

Yep totally agree. Last season I went to the Top 8 results night and Rose, Kat, and Hello Sunday were the middle 3. As I watched all their performances, I could not decide who was gonna get the save because all 3 gave great performances, particularly Rose. My dad even favored Hello Sunday the most! So imagine my shock and surprise when I got home and watched the youtube videos, Hello Sunday's "Chandelier" was incredibly pitchy and really sharp, when in the moment and room, they blew me away. So it does give some insight to why the coaches are really nice about bad performances because they often sound completely different live

Edited by thevoiceswimmer
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, seak05 said:

It’s also just incredibly hard to broadcast a live vocal well on tv. That’s why you’ll often see subpar sounding live performances at award shows (& why most artists just choose to sing to track). For the pre-taped shows you can clean up the audio in editing to make it sound more like the actual live vocal. 

Yeah, this has been discussed here dozens of times. It’s a factor, but it doesn’t affect all contestants to the same degree. I think back to season 16. They all sounded great in the pre-lives, but once the lives started, only Maelyn was able able to deliver a passable performance for the rest of the season. :haha:

(I exaggerated a little in that last sentence, but not much).

Edited by TeamAudra