idolforums.com
Someone648

The Voice S18 - Spoilers/News/Updates

3 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I nominate Kim Cherry, but this one might be a close 2nd. It’s not bad, just not very interesting or unique in any way. 

yea i agree, Nelson's audition was mediocre imo but at least they leaked a 4-chair turn where a coach used their block.

Kim's audition being leaked was just... extremely baffling. Especially because she only turned 2 chairs and her audition was not worth being leaked, even moreso being for the PREMIERE.

27 minutes ago, MatthewPalermo said:

yea i agree, Nelson's audition was mediocre imo but at least they leaked a 4-chair turn where a coach used their block.

Kim's audition being leaked was just... extremely baffling. Especially because she only turned 2 chairs and her audition was not worth being leaked, even moreso being for the PREMIERE.

They have more effective ways of pimping the TCO now. The audience is too smart after 17 seasons. If they make it too obvious, too much early pimping can backfire. This one was probably chosen for the reasons you mentioned, and I’m not expecting Nelson to be a contender. 

Edited by TeamAudra

29 minutes ago, MatthewPalermo said:

I think they were trying to look for something sensation/eye-catching/unexpected, which honestly I consider better than a mediocre (sorry!) audition that for whatever reason got 4 chairs and a block. I would argue that there are many auditions without the 4 chairs and the block that are better than those that do have 4 chairs and a block.

12 hours ago, Someone648 said:

Hey everyone, so a while back (before reveal day, etc.), I spoke with a source and they gave me a list of the 10 people who ended up on John's team. They asked me not to make the list public, but now with Nelson's audition just being released, I asked them again if it would be fine to share the list and they said it would be.

Obviously with such a strong claim, I wasn't immediately sure to trust it or not, but this person was the source that gave me Brittney Allen and Mike Jerel - both of whom ended up revealing soon after - so I decided to trust it.

Anyways, these are the 10 names that, according to the source, - make up John's post-blinds team:

Brittney Allen

Cam Wesley

Cedrice Webber (1 chair - final chair turn of season)

Darious Lyles

Mandi Castillo (4 chair)

Mike Jerel

Nelson Cade III (4 chair)

Thunderstorm Artis (4 chair)

Zach Day

Zan Fiskum

So we know that Zan, Mandi and Thunderstorm won their battles while Cam and Cedrice lost them. That would leave space for only two more names winning their battles from this list.

8 hours ago, ashwinner said:

I think they were trying to look for something sensation/eye-catching/unexpected, which honestly I consider better than a mediocre (sorry!) audition that for whatever reason got 4 chairs and a block. I would argue that there are many auditions without the 4 chairs and the block that are better than those that do have 4 chairs and a block.

We discussed this when they leaked Kim’s video. She was one the most relatable contestants ever. If Team.Minivan could sing, they’d be Kim Cherry!.

17 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

We discussed this when they leaked Kim’s video. She was one the most relatable contestants ever. If Team.Minivan could sing, they’d be Kim Cherry!.

If Team Minivan could sing, they’d probably choose a different genre, though. She was a gimmick act who made it further than anyone expected. In real life, her act probably isn’t so gimmicky, but that’s the role she played on TV. 

Edited by TeamAudra

14 hours ago, Someone648 said:

Hey everyone, so a while back (before reveal day, etc.), I spoke with a source and they gave me a list of the 10 people who ended up on John's team. They asked me not to make the list public, but now with Nelson's audition just being released, I asked them again if it would be fine to share the list and they said it would be.

Obviously with such a strong claim, I wasn't immediately sure to trust it or not, but this person was the source that gave me Brittney Allen and Mike Jerel - both of whom ended up revealing soon after - so I decided to trust it.

Anyways, these are the 10 names that, according to the source, - make up John's post-blinds team:

Brittney Allen

Cam Wesley

Cedrice Webber (1 chair - final chair turn of season)

Darious Lyles

Mandi Castillo (4 chair)

Mike Jerel

Nelson Cade III (4 chair)

Thunderstorm Artis (4 chair)

Zach Day

Zan Fiskum

Well, from that list, I'm glad that it looks like Nelson picks John.  I really thought he'd practically gift-wrapped him to Blake by blocking Nick.  I don't even know why John did block Nick.  He didn't sound like he was in his particular lane at all!

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

If Team Minivan could sing, they’d probably choose a different genre, though. She was a gimmick act who made it further than anyone expected. In real life, her act probably isn’t so gimmicky, but that’s the role she played on TV. 

Nope. TLC is exactly the kind of thing a 45 yo mother of 3 would sing at karaoke night to seem cool. 

14 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Nope. TLC is exactly the kind of thing a 45 yo mother of 3 would sing at karaoke night to seem cool. 

45? The median viewer is 60. I don’t know whether they know who TLC is, but I agree there’s a faction of female viewers who identify with Kim and Katie, but clearly not enough to put them over the top. 

20 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

45? The median viewer is 60. I don’t know whether they know who TLC is, but I agree there’s a faction of female viewers who identify with Kim and Katie, but clearly not enough to put them over the top. 

The average viewer is 60, but surely you don’t think Team Minivan is that old? Team Minivan is another way to say “ soccer mom”.

Edited by AngelaKD

3 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

The average viewer is 60, but surely you don’t think Team Minivan is that old? Team Minivan is another way to say “ soccer mom”.

We need to nail down the definition of “team minivan.”  There are definitely soccer moms in their 50s, approaching 60, but we’re getting lost in the weeds here. I know what you meant, and agree with you. 

9 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

We need to nail down the definition of “team minivan.”  There are definitely soccer moms in their 50s, approaching 60, but we’re getting lost in the weeds here. I know what you meant, and agree with you. 

The average viewer is less a minivan driving mom than a grandma who buys comfortable clothes from QVC!

Edited by AngelaKD

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

1 hour ago, AngelaKD said:

The average viewer is less a minivan driving mom than a grandma who buys comfortable clothes from QVC!

Why not just call them soccer moms and/or grandmas and be done with it, then?  Team Minivan seems and sounds a bit too broad.

50 minutes ago, Rodney said:

Why not just call them soccer moms and/or grandmas and be done with it, then?  Team Minivan seems and sounds a bit too broad.

Minivan covers all the bases, and it doesn’t necessarily mean they have to own a minivan. Facebook moms, soccer moms, grandmas....they all pretty much vote in a block. If a contestant doesn’t appeal to TM, they have literally no shot of winning, which is why Facebook usually gives us a pretty good idea which contestants are resonating with the core audience. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Both Joanna and Megan are having watch parties...sound like both for Monday?

Do the contestants even know which episode they'll be aired on though?

Edited by ashwinner

22 minutes ago, ashwinner said:

Do the contestants even know which episode they'll be aired on though?

They are told a few days prior (usually Friday, I think), so they can organize watch parties, etc. They don’t come right out and say, “hey, my blind is going to be aired Monday,” but they’ll often post about watch parties or strongly imply that they’ll be on a specific day. 

Some of them have posted that they don’t know which episode they’ll be on. That likely means they won’t be on this week. 

Megan’s was a little weird, because she’s having a watch party on Monday, but claimed that she doesn’t know which episode she’s going to be on. I’m not sure what to believe. 

Edited by TeamAudra

This is the first article I've seen that fully explains the rule changes this season regarding saves and steals during the Battle Rounds:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Scoop-Coming-Up-on-a-New-Episode-of-THE-VOICE-on-NBC-Monday-March-2-2020-20200218

After each vocal battle, the coach must choose which of his/her singers will advance to the next round of competition. The losing artist is available to be stolen by another coach or available to be saved by their own coach, but unlike any other season, the team coach can only hit their button to save an artist after it's clear no other coach is going to steal the artist. If no other coach has attempted to steal the artist by the time he/she gets down the stage steps, the artists' coach can push to save them. Each coach will have one save and one steal in the Battle Rounds. Artists who won their battle or were stolen by another coach will advance to the Knockout Rounds.

With this change there will no longer be situations where a contestant will ever have a choice between staying with their current coach or allowing themselves to be stolen by another coach since a coach can't save unless the contestant hasn't been stolen by another coach. There could of course still be fights between two or three coaches that want to steal the same person. Since the contestants that are saved are going to be be put in the 4 way Knockout, a contestant's chances of remaining in the competition are better if they are stolen since the steals will be doing a regular Knockout pairing. I imagine that's why they gave the steal the higher precedence with these new rules.

Based on Instagram posts, it sounds like JULES, Jon Mullins, and Samantha Howell all know that they're not gonna be on this week.

Not sure whether Tate Brusa's post is implying that he knows he's Monday or just a joke about the Bachelor - but with his spot in the promo, I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the premiere for his Nick interaction.

54 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Based on Instagram posts, it sounds like JULES, Jon Mullins, and Samantha Howell all know that they're not gonna be on this week.

Not sure whether Tate Brusa's post is implying that he knows he's Monday or just a joke about the Bachelor - but with his spot in the promo, I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the premiere for his Nick interaction.

Do you know who will be on?

2 minutes ago, ashwinner said:

Do you know who will be on?

Stay tuned to mjsbigblog's site, the owner manages to get in a screening of the premiere episode, and she writes about the people in it the morning of the premiere.

6 hours ago, Someone648 said:

Allegra and Joei also posted “there are 4 weeks of blinds, keep watching if you don’t see me this week” type comments too. Allegra’s was on her story, and has expired. 

Edit: Mike Jerel posted a similar comment 

Edit: Add Cedrice to the list 

Edited by TeamAudra

20 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

They are told a few days prior (usually Friday, I think), so they can organize watch parties, etc. They don’t come right out and say, “hey, my blind is going to be aired Monday,” but they’ll often post about watch parties or strongly imply that they’ll be on a specific day. 

Some of them have posted that they don’t know which episode they’ll be on. That likely means they won’t be on this week. 

Megan’s was a little weird, because she’s having a watch party on Monday, but claimed that she doesn’t know which episode she’s going to be on. I’m not sure what to believe. 

Because there’s only one Tuesday episode, maybe they are telling them by week and the ones this week don’t know if it’s Monday or Tuesday.

42 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Because there’s only one Tuesday episode, maybe they are telling them by week and the ones this week don’t know if it’s Monday or Tuesday.

Maybe, but that would be less than ideal for planning watch parties.