idolforums.com
*Amanda

SCD Series 17 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, *Amanda said:

💔

Really emotional tribute to Caroline on Love Island, as well. 💔

Those Ashley posts. :'( And a really beautiful tribute from Love Island too. 😢:broken: 

Mark Wright is a correspondent for Extra, and Extra was the only U.S. news show I heard of them mentioning Caroline so far. He talked about Caroline on there and their last conversation together, here’s video of that. :(

Ooh and moreso XF related but her Xtra Factor co-host, Olly Murs, did a touching post for Caroline. I loved them as Xtra Factor co-hosts. :’( 

The second video is a tribute video of their time on Xtra Factor.

And more tributes...

What are we thinking for this series? Who would you like on the show?

The returning pros were confirmed at the start of March. Could we be getting an announcement soon?

Personally hoping that Oti, Katya, AJ, Nadiya, Johannes, Gorka and Giovanni are all in and with celebs. I would love a Katya, AJ, Johannes, Nadiya & Gorka top 5 - all 5 of them are due celebs with potential (Katya & AJ especially - both done 4 series and no proper ringers). Gio should get the comedy contestant or a young duffer (he seems to always get older ringers) and Oti should be with an oldie.

Didn't get much of an impression of Neil or Luba last year but they deserve a second go (especially Luba who was totally screwed by getting James as her first celeb) and hopefully Nancy gets a partner or is at least featured more this year (she was practically invisible last year). I like Dianne but part of me wants her to leave just because Joe seems to keep sticking around the show and his stans are awful - most other stans don't annoy again after their idols are on SCD/DWTS (e.g. Harmonizers) but his are still around. Aljaž and Kevin aren't my cup of tea but both are past champions and are popular so I'll take them back (but please give them both duffers). I can't warm to Amy personality or choreo wise so hope she is with a duffer or out (after two ringers, she is way overdue someone with no dance ability).

Anton, Graziano, Karen and Janette all to go, I just think that they are deficient in certain disciplines and none are amazing choreographers IMO - Anton's Latin is still poor whilst the latter 3 are weak in ballroom. I'll be disappointed to see Anton, Karen or Janette back as they've had way too many chances. I can live with Graziano returning but he really needs to work on his ballroom and step up his choreo.

Finally - we NEED a same-sex partnership this year! 1 or 2? (depending on gender balance, we may get 2). Which pros would you suggest for that? Johannes seems like the obvious choice on the male side but part of me thinks that he's a tad inexperienced as a pro (I didn't like Catherine much and she wasn't a great dancer but I do feel that he made some mistakes with her - he's an amazing dancer but tends to outdance his celeb) and also that he may make it more of a big deal than it should be (like Matt Evers & H on DOI did). AJ might be good, but I'm thinking maybe Gorka? As long as it isn't Anton or Kevin. If we get a female same-sex pairing, how about Katya?

Edited by DWTSFan2001

I hope we get a Pros announcement for the upcoming series soon too. I remember it happening really early last year so hoping it happens again this year. 

I do agree with a lot of your thoughts, @DWTSFan2001 . I think Oti is due for someone older - all of her celebs have been in their 20s and 30s and either athletes and actors. With her winning last year, I am sure she will get her older duffer. It’s fair, as sad as that makes me. True that Katya and AJ, deserve ringers. It would also be nice and interesting to see AJ getting someone…. that’s over 30. I know he’s the youngest pro, but he always gets the young partners. :haha: 

I would lie for Luba and Nadiya to have partners with more potential, although it’s  hard to find tall guys that can dance really well. I’d like to see Neil with another shot and for Gorka to come back as i missed him last year. It would be nice to see Nancy get a partner too. Aww I understand your comments regarding Dianne and Joe’s stans, but I love Dianne an want her to stick around. :haha: And I want her with another partner with potential and to last longer. I did grow to like Amy last year with Karim but she’s still one of my lesser fave pros so I can do with her getting a duffer.

Aljaz and Kevin are strong staples on the show, and i cant quite imagine and see them go yet. As far as pros I would want to go….. definitely Anton. He’s a legendary pro being on the show all 17 series, but I don’t think he can do any better than he did with Emma B, whose run was quite inconsistent and hit-and-miss. And I’d rather see the other male pros getting another chance. I can be okay with Graziano getting another shot but I prefer all the other male pros over him. I feel like we probably saw the best of Karen and Janette. I love them both but with them being the longest running female pros, I can understand and be okay with them going - although i’d sitll love for them to stay. Although I know Janette’s ballroom choreo is noticeably weaker than the rest.

I would be in favor and fine with a same sex partnership. Johannes would be a great fit for it. And ugh I’m kinda mad that Rylan Clarke-Neal is a Strictly ITT co-host because he’s proven to be a fast learner/potentially great dancer on the dance segments and would be the perfect male partner for Johannes. :(  I agree with your comments on Johannes as a pro/dancer. I think Katya would be good for a female same sex pairing.

Lots of great points you brought up here @DWTSFan2001

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ariel1989 said:

Ola and James’ daughter arrived today!

Wonderful news! They're certainly unpopular with our friends over on Digital Spy but I always liked them both as pros (Ola and Chris Hollins' Charleston is what got me hooked to the show). James always has great commentary on Twitter during SCD.

Wish them the best as parents.

Posted (edited)

Thought about a potential cast:

FEMALE CELEBS:

• Matilda Ramsay, 18, Chef & CBBC presenter (with Giovanni)
  • Dina Asher-Smith, 24, Olympic sprinter (with new pro)
  • Lucy Fallon, 24, Former Coronation Street Actress (with Gorka)
  • Storm Huntley, 33, CBeebies & Jeremy Vine Presenter (with new pro)
  • Roisin Conaty, 40, Comedian (with Neil)
  • Bonnie Langford, 55, West End Actress (with AJ)
  • Fatima Whitbread, 58, Former Olympic javelin thrower (with Kevin)
  • Kim Woodburn, 77, How Clean is Your House? presenter & Reality TV Personality (with Aljaž)

MALE CELEBS:

• Zack Morris, 21, EastEnders Actor (with new pro)
  • Bradley Simpson, 24, The Vamps Singer (with Katya)
  • Tom Daley, 25, Olympic diver & YouTuber (same sex pairing with Johannes)
  • Jamie Laing, 31, Reality TV Personality (with Dianne)
  • Greg James, 34, Radio 1 presenter (with Luba)
  • Alex Walkinshaw, 46, Holby City Actor (with Nadiya)
  • Huw Edwards, 58, Newsreader (with new pro)
  • Chris Kamara, 62, Former footballer & pundit (with Oti)

A bit better than last year in terms of quality but also realistic - we're not going to get any big stars. Got some partnerships that I am sure on, others not so much. 1 new female pro and 2 new male pros.

Edited by DWTSFan2001

Posted (edited)

I'm very surprised. If he intended to leave, I don't get why he didn't leave after winning with Stacey but stuck around for another year to dance with Anneka Rice. I guess that may explain why he won the CiN & Christmas specials.

Edited by DWTSFan2001

On 2/29/2020 at 6:08 PM, Ariel1989 said:

Ola and James’ daughter arrived today!

Aww yayy at this news.... congrats James & Ola on their new baby. ❤️ But omggg was the baby really born on Leap Day? Wowzers. 

8 hours ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

I'm very surprised. If he intended to leave, I don't get why he didn't leave after winning with Stacey but stuck around for another year to dance with Anneka Rice. I guess that may explain why he won the CiN & Christmas specials.

Whoaaa this really surprises me. 😮 I went to just check some Strictly updates and saw tihs. Sad to see Kevin go as he has provided a lot of great partnerships and choreography over the last 7 years. But yeah it's reallyyy strange how he leaves now and ends his run with..... Anneeka Rice, his worst showing/partnership on the show. As you said, I would have thought of him leaving after his win with Stacey or after this year's show with a stronger partnership to end his run on a higher note.

And also.... yet I bet we're still gonna have Anton, who really needs to go. :dead: :ph34rwave:

On 2/29/2020 at 7:18 PM, DWTSFan2001 said:

Thought about a potential cast:

FEMALE CELEBS:

• Matilda Ramsay, 18, Chef & CBBC presenter (with Giovanni)
  • Dina Asher-Smith, 24, Olympic sprinter (with new pro)
  • Lucy Fallon, 24, Former Coronation Street Actress (with Gorka)
  • Storm Huntley, 33, CBeebies & Jeremy Vine Presenter (with new pro)
  • Roisin Conaty, 40, Comedian (with Neil)
  • Bonnie Langford, 55, West End Actress (with AJ)
  • Fatima Whitbread, 58, Former Olympic javelin thrower (with Kevin)
  • Kim Woodburn, 77, How Clean is Your House? presenter & Reality TV Personality (with Aljaž)

MALE CELEBS:

• Zack Morris, 21, EastEnders Actor (with new pro)
  • Bradley Simpson, 24, The Vamps Singer (with Katya)
  • Tom Daley, 25, Olympic diver & YouTuber (same sex pairing with Johannes)
  • Jamie Laing, 31, Reality TV Personality (with Dianne)
  • Greg James, 34, Radio 1 presenter (with Luba)
  • Alex Walkinshaw, 46, Holby City Actor (with Nadiya)
  • Huw Edwards, 58, Newsreader (with new pro)
  • Chris Kamara, 62, Former footballer & pundit (with Oti)

A bit better than last year in terms of quality but also realistic - we're not going to get any big stars. Got some partnerships that I am sure on, others not so much. 1 new female pro and 2 new male pros.

Ooh this is an interesting cast list you got here. I don't really know what i want but I would want more pop stars/ringers this year. :haha: 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

And also.... yet I bet we're still gonna have Anton, who really needs to go. :dead: :ph34rwave:

Agreed. :(

You just know that he'll get the joke act/duffer again. #boring

DWTS got rid of Tony at 42 yet Anton is still around at 53. DWTS still managed to get older women on the show after Tony left so I don't buy the idea that they need to keep Anton - the younger male pros are surely patient enough to partner an older lady or duffer?

Unless a pro is really amazing (e.g. Oti) they should get no more than 8-10 series on the show, Anton has nearly doubled that. Put him on the judging panel if they still want him around and let the young ones shine.

Edited by DWTSFan2001

A bit surprised at Kevin leaving now, usually pros leave after they win (Camilla, Flavia, Aliona and Joanne) or at least have a good finish (Vincent, Artem, Pasha).  Kevin stuck around after winning and ended up with his earliest exit.  He's been active in musical theatre lately like his sister so maybe he has something coming up in that area.  

Probably means that they're getting a new male pro.  If the rest of last year's dancers return, they'll have eight male pros (AJ, Aljaz, Anton, Giovanni, Gorka, Graziano, Johannes and Neil) and nine female pros (Amy, Dianne, Janette, Karen, Katya, Luba, Nadiya, Nancy and Oti); they'll probably even out the lineup so everyone gets a partner for pro group numbers.  The tabloids and DigitalSpy are speculating that Marius Iepure, Oti's husband, will be a benched pro next series.  He was on Let's Dance in Germany with Oti and Motsi and has a lot of teaching experience so he's definitely qualified as a benched pro or pro partner.  

On 3/6/2020 at 5:41 PM, DWTSFan2001 said:

Agreed. :(

You just know that he'll get the joke act/duffer again. #boring

DWTS got rid of Tony at 42 yet Anton is still around at 53. DWTS still managed to get older women on the show after Tony left so I don't buy the idea that they need to keep Anton - the younger male pros are surely patient enough to partner an older lady or duffer?

Unless a pro is really amazing (e.g. Oti) they should get no more than 8-10 series on the show, Anton has nearly doubled that. Put him on the judging panel if they still want him around and let the young ones shine.

It''s kind of what Anton deserves at this point, since his run with Emma Barton was quite inconsistent. Sure he produced some nice dances for her, but they should have been stronger. Agreed that there are plenty of male pros that are patient and can handler an older woman/duffer type.

Ooh yeah I don't mind pros lasting any amount of time - as long as they bring out the best in their celebs and provided good choreography/content. It's when the pros lack their passion or creativity that they would used to have, is when they should go.

On 3/6/2020 at 6:10 PM, Ariel1989 said:

A bit surprised at Kevin leaving now, usually pros leave after they win (Camilla, Flavia, Aliona and Joanne) or at least have a good finish (Vincent, Artem, Pasha).  Kevin stuck around after winning and ended up with his earliest exit.  He's been active in musical theatre lately like his sister so maybe he has something coming up in that area.  

Probably means that they're getting a new male pro.  If the rest of last year's dancers return, they'll have eight male pros (AJ, Aljaz, Anton, Giovanni, Gorka, Graziano, Johannes and Neil) and nine female pros (Amy, Dianne, Janette, Karen, Katya, Luba, Nadiya, Nancy and Oti); they'll probably even out the lineup so everyone gets a partner for pro group numbers.  The tabloids and DigitalSpy are speculating that Marius Iepure, Oti's husband, will be a benched pro next series.  He was on Let's Dance in Germany with Oti and Motsi and has a lot of teaching experience so he's definitely qualified as a benched pro or pro partner.  

Samee at all of this regarding Kevin's exit. Usually pros end their runs on a win or after a really strong partnership. So not sure why Kevin left at tis point, but guessing he's very busy with his musical theatre career.

Really curious about the Pros line-up. Makes sense to have a new male Pro in there to replace Kevin. Ooh and that would be a nice inclusion to have Oti's husband in there. 😮 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pro lineup released and apart from Kevin, no other changes.

Karen & Janette are lovely people but exactly what do they offer to the show choreo wise? Why have they been kept around for so long? Not thrilled about Graziano staying either - his own Waltz technique was beginner level, how is he supposed to teach a celeb? And Anton is back...🙄

Not happy TBH - we were due a bit of a change in pros - there are several other dancers who would have plenty to offer to the show yet they don't seem to find them and keep the same lineup, a good percentage of which aren't any good.

At least they haven't sacked Katya like Dan Wootton seems to want and Oti hasn't quit after winning. Oh, and GIVE GORKA A PARTNER! 🙂

Edited by DWTSFan2001
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

wrong thread.

Edited by taylorkat

OMG I didn’t even know the Pros announcement happened already. :dead: But yayy for this. 

Whoaaa I did not expect AJ to leave….. this soon and like this. 😮 Feels so premature. Really sad about this because he never reached the final and deserved to reach the final on a few occasions (certainly with Claudia and Saffron was final worthy). I understand the decision as he’s really young and has been doing a lot of things with his career. Wishing him all the best. 

So I would assume the Strictly producers would want to find a really young pro to replace him to keep the kids/tween viewers tuned in.

Also with Kevin & AJ gone, I will be raging and quitting this show if Gorka is benched once again. :/ Okayyy of course i wouldn’t ever quit Strictly but i’d be heavily disappointed if he isn’t a pro with a celeb partner. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Really weird that he was initially signed on and then backed out. I wonder what has happened in the past few weeks which has led to him backing out? Maybe he's wanting to follow in his brother's footsteps after seeing his success on Love Island? This impromptu departure and the fact that that his team wrote the statement doesn't reflect well on him - he wouldn't be famous without SCD so really should have wrote the statement himself and saw his contract through.

That said, I am sad. He was a good teacher and did well with all of his celebs, even if some weren't that great. Wish he'd made the final just once and had an actual ringer celeb rather than the young middlers. 

He was also the eye candy of the male cast for me, I wanted him as my partner if I was on the show. Guess I'll need to find a new favourite. Hope his replacement (if there is one) is good.

Who will dance with the really young ones now?

And yes @Wallace - Gorka MUST have a partner this year!

Edited by DWTSFan2001
  • Like 1

I think there will definitely be one or two new dancers, there’s usually at least one male dancer and one female dancer who get benched.  

Male Pros:

Aljaž

Anton

Giovanni

Gorka

Graziano

Johannes

Neil

Female Pros:

Amy

Dianne

Janette

Karen

Katya

Luba

Nadiya

Nancy

Oti

Since there’s likely 15 celebs (7 male and 8 female or 8 male and 7 female), at least one of the current female dancers will be benched.  If there’s 8 female celebs there will definitely be a new male pro.  

Yeah I agree with a lot of @DWTSFan2001 comments regarding AJ. I know Curtis ventured off into Love Island, got a huge new fanbase because of that. But AJ's ~milk and butter~ per se was with Strictly, and that's a really great gig for a dancer - to dance and achieve fame. Unless he goes the Love Island route or some other popular show? I think both have done choreography work for Drag Race UK too.

And yeah I would have loved seeing him with a proper ringer and make the final as I'm sure he would have had an exciting Showdance. And now when a really young female celeb gets cast on the celebs announcement, it won't be so easy to predict them getting AJ (like i did when Claudia and Saffron got signed). :dead: 

Yikes so we currently have 7 male Pros (two of which being Anton + Graziano)? Oh my. :dead: And wow 9 female pros now? They don't need a new female pro unless one of them drops out. But I am sure we'll get some new male Pro(s).

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Yikes so we currently have 7 male Pros (two of which being Anton + Graziano)? Oh my. :dead: And wow 9 female pros now? They don't need a new female pro unless one of them drops out. But I am sure we'll get some new male Pro(s).

Yikes - didn't think about that. Pretty terrible male pro lineup - even though Kevin & AJ were polarising, they were probably the best teachers of the men and got all of their partners far (bar Kevin with Anneka). I guess that Gorka & Giovanni are now the best on the male side.

AJ was very popular with the gays, they'll need another pro like him appearance-wise. That also makes me wonder which pro will do a same-sex partnership if it is a male-male one - I believe that AJ wanted to do it. Whilst Johannes seems fun and an excellent dancer, I really don't want it to be him, I just feel that there's too much risk of him making it into a big deal whereas the other men (bar Anton) probably would treat it like any other partnership.

Edited by DWTSFan2001

Sad that AJ is leaving. :( He was great on the show. I especially loved his partnerships with Claudia and Saffron and definitely think he should've made the finals with both of them.

The male pro lineup does look pretty dismal right now. I do like Giovanni, Gorka, and Aljaž, though. And I'm willing to see a second season from both Neil and Johannes. Anton and Graziano, though...#yikes

• Like 2

I think that the male pro lineup on the French version is better now, and trust me, that's a bad situation to be in. 

Hopefully they hire some really good new male pros.

22 hours ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

Yikes - didn't think about that. Pretty terrible male pro lineup - even though Kevin & AJ were polarising, they were probably the best teachers of the men and got all of their partners far (bar Kevin with Anneka). I guess that Gorka & Giovanni are now the best on the male side.

AJ was very popular with the gays, they'll need another pro like him appearance-wise. That also makes me wonder which pro will do a same-sex partnership if it is a male-male one - I believe that AJ wanted to do it. Whilst Johannes seems fun and an excellent dancer, I really don't want it to be him, I just feel that there's too much risk of him making it into a big deal whereas the other men (bar Anton) probably would treat it like any other partnership.

Mhmmm yess, exactly. :yes: I know Kevin and AJ were polarizing a bit for different reasons, but they managed to get the best out of their partners and managed to get them far - except Anneka, lol. 

Oooh I didn't think about this but very true with AJ. Ooh I thought Johannes would have been the obvious choice for a potential same-sex partnership if that were to happen. But I get your comments on this!

18 hours ago, *Amanda said:

Sad that AJ is leaving. :( He was great on the show. I especially loved his partnerships with Claudia and Saffron and definitely think he should've made the finals with both of them.

The male pro lineup does look pretty dismal right now. I do like Giovanni, Gorka, and Aljaž, though. And I'm willing to see a second season from both Neil and Johannes. Anton and Graziano, though...#yikes

Agreed with everything you said. Didn't realize how AJ & Kevin leaving would weaken the male pro line up, by a lot.

18 hours ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

I think that the male pro lineup on the French version is better now, and trust me, that's a bad situation to be in. 

Hopefully they hire some really good new male pros.

Oh my. :dead: I hear so much bad about the French version. :haha: