SCD Series 17 Discussion Thread

*Amanda

Chris & Karen - Tango: 5/7/7/7 = 26

Oooh I was kinda surprised with how Chris pulled off the serious side/character of that dance. :o :giggle: I loved the theatrics, drama and thought he did quite a good job performing it. :yes: His footwork and dancing wasn’t the strongest…. some parts seemed better, I think the beginning was stronger than towards the end. Some parts did look a bit walky/steppy, but a decent dance from Chris… and better than what I was expecting.

Omgg yikes Craig being so critical and harsh on his footwork but no surprise. Those scores seem good and fair for him.

Ooh Chris should have also been more than 1 point higher than Mike but at least he’s still above him.

I do feel like the last four dances - with Michelle, Saffron, Emma and Kelvin should be the strongest dances. Michelle & Giovanni 5th.

Michelle & Giovanni - American Smooth: 9/9/9/9 = 36

Omgg the intro felt sooo long and like it took forever for the dancing to start. :lmao: But once it did, it was great. Michelle was so stunning and beautiful in hold. - with a great frame and positioning there. I loved the comedic and fun parts they added to the dance, and she performed that so well. There was a great mix of great proper Foxtrot technique, sassiness and comedic fun performance skills.

“I don’t want to see those technicalities” - but….. aren’t we supposed to see great technique on this show, Motsi? :dead: Although I do get what she was saying.

Oooh I’m surprised she didn’t get any 10s with the standing O’s and those comments but i do agree with the 9’s so I’m good with that.

Emma & Anton Theater Jazz up now. If Emma doesn't nail this dance, I'm giving up on her. :dead:

Emma B & Anton - Theater Jazz: 8/9/8/8 = 33

Really good dance from Emma. Jazz and the fosse style really suits her. She was very precise and clean in her movements and technique. It was very stylized and suited her. She was definitely owning it and I was more drawn to her. I think a few parts look were a bit not as in sync, but I’ll blame it on Anton. :*

How come Shirley’s “one of your better dances” came off as shady to me? :shifty: :giggle:

Ooh I thought she would have gotten another 9, but the mix of 8’s and a 9 is fair.

Saffron & AJ Waltz up 7th. Meaning Kelvin & Oti's Salsa closes the show. :w00t:

Saffron & AJ - Waltz: 9/10/10/10 = 39

It’s nice seeing Saffron back in ballroom as it really suits her and she’s been great in it. And she certainly proved that tonight. That was a really gentle, smooth and gorgeous Waltz. Saffron danced with great elegance, technique, nice frame and footwork - and an all around gorgeous dance. :bye2: :wub: It looked like a gorgeous perfect Waltz. :bye2: And if it hasn’t been said before, AJ is an amazing ballroom choreographer! :yes:

OMGG Motsi calling it her favorite dance she’s seen as a Strictly judge. :omg: That’s definitely gonna get 10s. Definitely deserving of its 10s.

Kelvin & Oti closing the show! :D

I KNEW IT WOULD :wub:

Oooh yess, I had a feeling about that too. :haha:

Kelvin & Oti - Salsa: 8/9/9/9 = 35

Surprised it took 8 weeks until Kelvin had a race car themed dance. :haha: I could have done without the theme but it didn’t distract too me. Anyway, that was a fantastic Salsa from Kelvin, which I was expecting from him. :w00t: Great rhythm, energy, hip action, partnering, footwork, and just about…. everything I thought he nailed. Ooooh those lifts were insanely crazy and impressive. That last one especially scared me. :dead: But yeah he was fantastic and made the dance look effortless.

Ugh judges talking about some timing issues sooo I guess not three 10s. Ooh the 9s are fair and understandable, but not the 8. :ermm:

My rankings:

1/2. Saffron & AJ - Waltz / Kelvin & Oti - Salsa

3. Michelle & Giovanni - American Smooth

4. Emma B & Anton - Theater Jazz

5. Karim & Amy - Viennese Waltz

6. Alex & Neil - Jive

7. Chris & Karen - Tango

8. Mike & Katya - Paso Doble

Ugh definitely thinking Karim could Bottom 2 this weekend. He’s 3rd from the bottom, only above Mike (who should surely be in the B2) and Chris (who seems quite popular)….. so ugh. If it’s a Karim vs. Mike Bottom 2 then Mike BETTER go. :ermm: Alex, Emma and Chris were celebs that were in the Bottom of the leaderboard certain weeks and escaped the Bottom 2 and I can see them all doing it again - although if Karim doesn't Bottom then those 3 would be my next choices.

Gave my online votes to Michelle and Karim, as definitely nervous for Karim with those scores :shiver:

#bless. Really nervous for Karim too. :shiver:

Oh, I did fear Michelle would be in the dance-off at some point but with her being second on the leaderboard tonight I didn't think she'd be in danger. That worries me a little especially because I think this was one of her stronger dances. I can imagine Karim and Emma both got some sympathy/emotional vote boosts, and Alex being reunited with Neil might have helped them there too.

I can't say I'm surprised that Chris seems to be polling really well in votes. A combo of being a well-known face and having the longest-running female pro seems to be helping there.

Glad to see Mike finally go, though. There would have been no way for the judges to excuse saving him this time around.

Glad the judges FINALLY got the hint.

There would've been no way to justify saving him over Michelle. (Not that there was ever any way to justify saving him over Catherine and Emma the past two weeks, but they sure tried their hardest to do so.)

Edited by gabegir45

Caught up on Youtube. Favourites of the night were Michelle and Emma. Didn't care for Saffron's Waltz, I actually preferred Karim's even with the mistake :ph34rwave:

Weird and unpopular opinion: Karim's Halloween Paso remains my favourite routine of the series and the only one I would watch again :|

Edited by Tia9

Thoughts..

Finally Mike goes. He's a nice guy but lasted farr too long and yeah there was honestly no way they could have saved him over anyone tonight - esp. someone like Michelle.

Regarding Michelle - wow rather shocked she landed in the Bottom 2. I remember thinking she would struggle at the vote at some point. But I was under the impression she was more popular than I thought. Since Strictly uses a point system, with her being second on the leaderboard with no ties in judges scores, she was at least 2nd lowest or the lowest vote getter from the public. Whereas Chris was at least in the Top 3 of the public vote. Like Lily said, not surprised with his popularity though..... but this result kinda gives us a lot of insight of how the public vote went.

I'm curious if this will be a one-off situation like Abbey/Caroline/Debbie and she makes it through to the final safely or an Ashley situation where she continually gets saved by the judges to get far as possible.

Very pleased for Karim being safe, as i was super worried for him. He had to have poll at least in the Top 4, I think.

Michelle didn’t get the votes because she insulted British culture this past Thursday on Drag Race. :giggle:

Oooh yikes she did? Not sure if that caught big headlines but eek..... not a good lokok coming from an American on a British show.

Michelle was second in votes, yikes she is gone not that anyone thought she would win.

I always thought it would near impossible for Michelle to win - with her being an older woman and an American. I do wonder if she'll B2 more often and jjudges continuing saving her into the final or what. I can see her winning lots of Dance-Offs. Guess it will depend on who she's against.

While it hasn't been confirmed yet, this is the rumored line-up for the tour next year:

Mike, Chris, Kelvin, Karim

Catherine, Saffron, Alex

It's also rumored that Michelle wanted to do the tour however was cut, which is strange as I would have thought she'd have been a cert for the lineup if she was willing to do it. :unsure:

The winner is pretty much always on the tour, and I think the only winner not to have toured was Alesha - which was the time of the first SCD tour. No real surprises here, but makes the chances a little better for the people still in the competition.

Just watched the Results Show soooo....

Some thoughts:

- Really beautiful and emotional opening Remberance Day group routine. :bye2:

qOEGNkOIv-4

- Shocked that they announced Michelle & Giovanni being in the Bottom 2 in the first segment of results. :o I thought they would have saved that towards the end of save couples but yeah a definite shock on the show. It was also a surprise they saved Karim first but loved his reaction. Hope his fan support is stronger than people on various forums are saying/thinking. Ooh and Chris’ reactions on the results show continues to be hilarious.

- Very nice performance from Luke Evans with beautiful dancing from Amy & Johannes!

- Oooh they shared a fun fact of how this was Karen’s first season of getting to Blackpool without ever landing in the Bottom 2. :o Hilarious this was brought up because I was wondering if this was the longest she’s gone without ever B2’ing. Great stat.

- Blackpool Dance spoilers: Alex & Neil are dancing a Paso Doble to a Beyoncé song (I remember pre-season she said it was her dream to dance to a Bey song on Paso so yayy this happening!), Kelvin & Oti will dance the Jive (which is the dance Kelvin was most wanting to do)

- LOLCraig’s advice to Mike telling him to avoid the technique and focus on the performance if he wants to beat Michelle. lmaooo okay. :lmao:

- Of the Bottom 2 of Michelle & Giovanni vs. Mike & Katya, thankfully the judges saved Michelle and finally let Mike go. I do appreciate that Mike does have a positive attitude of being in the Bottom 2 so much, and he’s a certainly a nice enough guy. He shouldn’t have lasted this long, but well done to him and Katya getting this far. Ooh and I will give it to Mike on having the most fun and hilarious Send-off dance I’ve ever seen - from that whole lift with Katya and the whole cast dancing with him *starts at 4:21*. :haha:

eUfGJk6vU8k