The Voice S17 - Spoilers/News/Updates

Someone648

What does Kat have that all the other indie girls who went far didn’t? She seems like exactly the same singer.

I have a very, very similar question but from a different angle. I generally like indie girls at least somewhat on the competition, but I really just can't get behind Kat for some reason.

I loved the fact that she chose (or was given, whatever) Vienna and Kiss Me, but I was very underwhelmed by both. She's had some decent moments in each, but I really can't give those further listens because I just flat out don't like them overall. I tried her battle all over again and the only parts I liked were Josie's.

And going back to your comment, indie is a weird term because I'm just not sure how to define it since it overlaps a bunch of different genres. There's the indie rock lane that Ellie Lawrence and Chloe Kohanski fit that I love, the indie/folk lane that I loved Addison Agen and Karli Webster in, and there's indie pop/soul that I might personally label Maelyn as (and I'm probably totally off on that assessment tbh) - and obviously I'm not even sure if they all label themselves as indie even in the slightest.

Kat's not a bad indie performer but there's something I can't point out that I don't find appealing. The only indie girls I've genuinely disliked on the show were Reagan James and Celia Babini (minus her audition), but that's because they were each awful. Kat's not awful, but there's a disconnect and I'm not sure why?

Edited by Someone648

What does Kat have that all the other indie girls who went far didn’t? She seems like exactly the same singer.

Because TPTB+Blake decided that she's a perfect Team Blake member for this specific season. Kat is a decent singer for what she does, but I'm pretty sure TPTB could cast like 10 Kats every season with a minimum of search effort.

"Indie" people usually rely on a creative style, tone and charisma rather than vocal prowess. Kat's style is heavily influenced by Billy Joel and I personally think that this style doesn't fit her tone at all, and I don't find it original either. Now if we're talking about charisma, she's cute but not particularly memorable on stage.

In short, she is in the right place at the right time. This might sound harsh, but hey, Kat is still in the competition, there's plenty of time to prove me wrong :D. JMHO :flowers:.

I agree with the previous posts about Kat. idgi either, but she obviously has lots of fans and/or strong local support. Plus she's TB and looks like she's the Blakers' TCO. So all signs point to her making the finals no matter what, and maybe even winning (although my money is still on Katie or the Hoot for that.) Maybe we'll "get" her later.

Maybe, but the same could be argued about Rose Short, Myracle, the Hoot, Shane, Ricky Duran, and MaryBeth.

Those are all generic karaoke artists who offer nothing unique in terms of style or tone.

Edited by TeamAudra

For me, I love Kat's tone and I don't care if there are similar singers like her in previous seasons or if she's not the best technical singer this season. I can listen to Kat sing all day; her voice is very comforting to me. Not put to sleep comforting, but if I'm having a tough day, Kat's singing voice calms me down and puts me in a pleasant, peaceful place.

There are only a few singers I can listen to all day - Danielle Bradbery, Alison Krauss, Kari Jobe, Basia, Sade, and Kat Hammock.

Maybe, but the same could be argued about Rose Short, Myracle, the Hoot, Shane, Ricky Duran, and MaryBeth.

Those are all generic karaoke artists who offer nothing unique in terms of style or tone.

Exactly this. People just assume that Indie girls are supposed to be soooo unique while literally everyone else is allowed to be a complete carbon copy vocal wise.

For me, I love Kat's tone and I don't care if there are similar singers like her in previous seasons or if she's not the best technical singer this season. I can listen to Kat sing all day; her voice is very comforting to me. Not put to sleep comforting, but if I'm having a tough day, Kat's singing voice calms me down and puts me in a pleasant, peaceful place.

There are only a few singers I can listen to all day - Danielle Bradbery, Alison Krauss, Kari Jobe, Basia, Sade, and Kat Hammock.

Exactly this. People just assume that Indie girls are supposed to be soooo unique while literally everyone else is allowed to be a complete carbon copy vocal wise.

Everyone else mentioned has at least found ways to distinct themselves from past contestants of their types. Kat . . . just hasn't.

Sorry. Kat seems like a nice girl, but she just doesn't interest me. At all.

But by all means, go ahead and enjoy her.

That was beautifully put. That's what music's supposed to do: trigger a strong emotional response, whatever it is. For some it's the technique, for others the tone etc. :thumbs:

If we didn't have different reactions to music, we'd all have the same favs here and this board would be boring af lol.

That was beautifully put. That's what music's supposed to do: trigger a strong emotional response, whatever it is. For some it's the technique, for others the tone etc. :thumbs:

If we didn't have different reactions to music, we'd all have the same favs here and this board would be boring af lol.

Thanks. :flowers:

Could you imagine if everybody likes the same style and sound of music? This world would be a monotonous place to live in. Somewhere in the Twilight Zone :haha:

Anyway, I wish they would give us hints on songs (they used to give clues in previous seasons).

Also, we'll have Apple Music streams next week (and Xfinity voting).

Could you imagine if everybody likes the same style and sound of music? This world would be a monotonous place to live in. Somewhere in the Twilight Zone :haha:

Anyway, I wish they would give us hints on songs (they used to give clues in previous seasons).

Also, we'll have Apple Music streams next week (and Xfinity voting).

Yeah, no more hints or clues or guessing game. They have them on a tight leash. :angry:

Excited about getting STUDIOS next week. :w00t:

And at least this time we won't have to wait for the show to get song spoilers.

I'd rather it all be the same so we all get along.

Like I said, IDF would be boring af. :lol:

But fun and enjoyable for me.

I'd rather it all be the same so we all get along.

I’d rather we all learn to respect others tastes and opinions regardless of how different from the norm: then it would be more fun and enjoyable. Just no outrage or put downs just cause someone’s favorite got eliminated (I know sometimes I get outraged but I try not to now)