Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

38 Pages V « < 31 32 33 34 35 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> American Idol vs The X Factor (U.S.) vs The Voice (U.S.), Compare Contestants/ratings/sales/bands/judges/formats/etc-merged
Which do you prefer?
Which do you prefer?
American Idol [ 128 ] ** [63.05%]
The X Factor (U.S.) [ 23 ] ** [11.33%]
The Voice (U.S.) [ 52 ] ** [25.62%]
Total Votes: 203
Guests cannot vote 
MickeyM1
post May 25th 2013, 3:52 PM
Post #641

Group: Members

First of all, I think the ratings system is bogus. They need to find a way to find a true measure of tv viewership. They don't account for eveyone who watches tv.

As for The Voice being a kinder show? haha.gif Yeah he's probably right considering the coaches never even give the contestants any criticism after a performance. No performer is every given the least bit of constructive criticism even if they suck. How are the performers supposed to improve if they aren't called out on poor performances/vocals. The coaches need to stop being afraid of hurting their careers and at least give the contestants some honest feedback.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post May 25th 2013, 3:52 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

stooch
post May 25th 2013, 4:00 PM
Post #642

QUOTE(MickeyM1 @ May 25th 2013, 4:52 PM) *

First of all, I think the ratings system is bogus. They need to find a way to find a true measure of tv viewership. They don't account for eveyone who watches tv.

As for The Voice being a kinder show? haha.gif Yeah he's probably right considering the coaches never even give the contestants any criticism after a performance. No performer is every given the least bit of constructive criticism even if they suck. How are the performers supposed to improve if they aren't called out on poor performances/vocals. The coaches need to stop being afraid of hurting their careers and at least give the contestants some honest feedback.

Well seeing each contestant is coached on the Voice, they get the information there wacko.gif . But it's so sad you let the voice bother you so much seeing you mention it in every 3rd post. But whatever, I'll continue enjoying both shows and also continue enjoying the Idol stan's say how great the current version of the show is wink.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
durnet
post May 25th 2013, 4:13 PM
Post #643

QUOTE(MickeyM1 @ May 25th 2013, 10:52 PM) *

LOL Idol stans didn't question the ratings system when Idol was killing it in ratings, and that says everything haha.gif

--------------------
Fave Contestants: James Durbin (AI10), Juliet Simms (TV2), Dilana (Rock Star: Supernova) Fave Artists: 2Pac, Alanis Morissette, Amy Winehouse, Beck, BjŲrk, Busta Rhymes, Dido, Ellie Goulding, Emeli Sandť, Enya, Frank Ocean, Jack White, Janelle MonŠe, Jessie Ware, Jewel, Lenny Kravitz, Lana Del Rey, Lily Allen, M.I.A., Michael Jackson, The Notorious B.I.G., Rob Zombie, Sarah McLachlan, Shaggy, Shakira, Snoop Dogg, Tracy Chapman, The Weekend Fave Groups: Air, Basement Jaxx, Beastie Boys, The Chemical Brothers, Cypress Hill, Daft Punk, Enigma, Faithless, The Fugees, Gorillaz, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Massive Attack, OutKast, The Prodigy, Wu-Tang Clan Fave Bands: Alice in Chains, The Black Keys, Dream Theater, Florence + The Machine, Foo Fighters, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, Halestorm, The Heavy, Incubus, Metallica, Muse, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Pantera, Pearl Jam, Portishead, Queensrˇche, R.E.M., Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, System of a Down, Tool, U2
+Quote Post
jdanton2
post May 25th 2013, 4:16 PM
Post #644

Fav. AI3: LaToya London
Fav. AI4: Nadia Turner
Fav. S5Lisa Tucker S6:Jordin Sparks

American Idol is the best show with X Factor a close 2nd . The Voice which i have watched only a few times is so boring and a distant 3rd.

--------------------
Favorite Season 7 Syesha Mercado-Season 8 Anoop Desai- Season 9 Siobhan Magnus-Season 10 Pia Toscano-Season 11 Jessica Sanchez-Season 12 Candice Glover-Season 13 Malaya Watson

X Factor Season 1 Melanie Amaro- Season 2 Fifth Harmony
+Quote Post
blehblah
post May 25th 2013, 7:18 PM
Post #645

I was looking at the UK and it's impressive that in the last 5 and a half years X Factor UK's pulled out way more notable artists than the US has, both domestically and (somewhat) here.

Post-show T10 singles, UK charts:
Alexandra Burke #1, 1, 3, 4, 8
JLS # 1, 1, 6, 1, 1, 8, 1, 2, 6, 6
Olly Murs # 1, 4, 1, 1, 1
Cher Lloyd #1, 4
One Direction # 1, 3, 9, 3, 1, 9, 1
Little Mix #1, 3

IIRC, American Idol's 11 seasons combined have only had 4 contestants with even 3 T40 singles post-show - Kelly, Carrie, Daughtry, Jordin. All those are pre-2008 contestants. You could in theory blame low ratings on really recent contestants not making it big on the singles market, but that's no excuse for the contestants of S2, S3, S7, S8, S9 when the show was #1.

And of course the other 2 have come up with nothing so far.

--------------------
Danielle & Judith, Dia & Melanie, Josiah & Tessanne
+Quote Post
MargoK
post May 25th 2013, 7:49 PM
Post #646

Fav. AI2: Clay Aiken
Fav. AI4: Anthony Fedorov
Fav. AI13: Caleb Johnson

American Idol by far.

I actually like X-Factor more than I like The Voice. I don't like the format on The Voice for some reason. X-Factor tries to be different from Idol, but there isn't that much difference.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
playbiller
post May 25th 2013, 8:22 PM
Post #647

I think if we were converted voice fans we would be on a voice site, not here.
My problem is the mentoring and then judging - if you judge, you should not have a vested interest - and also when the mentors choose you song, they have an interest in deciding which of their people they want to survive, so easy to undercut the weakest.

--------------------
+Quote Post
MickeyM1
post May 25th 2013, 11:22 PM
Post #648

QUOTE(stooch @ May 25th 2013, 5:00 PM) *

Well seeing each contestant is coached on the Voice, they get the information there wacko.gif . But it's so sad you let the voice bother you so much seeing you mention it in every 3rd post. But whatever, I'll continue enjoying both shows and also continue enjoying the Idol stan's say how great the current version of the show is wink.gif

Yeah a coaches job is to coach a contestant through a performance before the performance, but a coach should also be able to give constructive criticism after a performance also. They don't know what's going to happen before the performance. You can only comment on a performance after it actually happened. Otherwise, why bother have them commenting at the end at all when their comments are useless. They can't keep telling contestants a performance was good when it wasn't. No wonder the ratings are dropping. People are starting to see through that.

A basketball coach can tell a basketball player what to do before, but he's not going to ignore it if the player passes the ball to someone else on the other team or misses a shot. Of course he's going to say something after a bad play. Just like the Voice coaches should absolutely say something about a bad performance. If a singers job is to sing on key and they don't, the coaches should be able to tell them that.

This post has been edited by MickeyM1: May 25th 2013, 11:31 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
stooch
post May 25th 2013, 11:26 PM
Post #649

wacko.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Raiden
post May 27th 2013, 4:25 AM
Post #650

QUOTE(EliteHalien @ Mar 17th 2013, 6:56 PM) *
Both shows are just as manipulative as Idol (well maybe not as as much as this season)

haha.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
apreeljandy
post May 27th 2013, 4:51 AM
Post #651

i still would watch Idol above the other 2 despite all the heavy drama. I never liked The Voice and X Factor..

Idol makes you really care about the contestants . and i think Idol has very talented discoveries though the voice and X factor also has had talented discoveries as well.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Raiden
post May 27th 2013, 5:16 AM
Post #652

QUOTE(MickeyM1 @ May 25th 2013, 10:52 PM) *
As for The Voice being a kinder show? Yeah he's probably right considering the coaches never even give the contestants any criticism after a performance..

Rubbish.

The Voice does give contestants criticism but criticism isn't the centerpiece of the show. Hence, by design, kinder than idol. The criticism is usually limited to constructive criticism by one or two coaches (currently usually Usher and in the past Aguilera - perhaps that middle right red chair is the designated "diva seat"). But you have no idea that they give criticism because your idea of criticism is saying "you sucked" that's it. You expect the voice to be as equally rude as idol.

That is of course never gonna happen. Mark Burnett is a classy and dashing guy, not an ugly midget with Napoleonic complex like Cowell or the Idol execs who are still trying to replicate Simon Cowell's negativity from other judges (= fakery that the viewer detects) The show should have never played-up that pathetic feud between Minaj and Carey to the sky by leaking clips to TMZ and what-not. In retrospect it was an unnecessary overkill attempt to generate attention by negativity (Minaj would have been capable of being hostile without any additional encouragement haha.gif They should have done the opposite: try to restrain Miraj so that her hostility was fewer and far between, thereby less of a dominant theme, then she would have been an excellent Idol judge and perfectly executed the "Cowell replacement" role that the execs were looking for and who knows would have attracted extra viewers that were desperately needed by the season.

This post has been edited by Raiden: May 27th 2013, 5:29 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
angelita100
post May 27th 2013, 9:34 PM
Post #653

QUOTE(BJK1990 @ Feb 24th 2013, 2:04 PM) *

1. American Idol
It's the only one that can not only say that they have honestly produced stars with longivety, but several of them.
2. The Voice US
They might want to produce an artist that achieves some relevancy before claiming to be the most credible show on TV.
3. The X Factor USA
Um..., so about that $5 million recording contract and promise of superstardom? oops.gif lmao.gif lmao.gif

I''m not sure what producing stars has to do with the actual sitting down and watching entertainment. The Kardashians have produced stars but I'm not buying anything they are selling.

Idol was actually very hard to watch this season. It had judges that wouldn't look at each other. It had a heavy hand of manipulation to leave boys out of the mix. It had irrelevant theme nights. And it has a mean undercurrent. I've watched 4 total seasons of this show. I actually watched a lot of this season but finally tuned out after the push to get Amber and Angie to the finale. I came back for the final two but sorta watched on fast forward skipping everything but the singing. Really, the only way to watch idol.

X Factor is just way too over the top and cheesy for me. I watched the first season and I'll never watch it again.

I love The Voice for the pure entertainment value. The judges are fantastic. I laugh a lot. Nbody gets made fun of. There are no bad auditions. It has a few issues and it's not perfect but if could only watch one it would be the voice.

Yes Idol has a wonderful machine in place for after the show but I don't have to watch one hour of Idol to enjoy any the contestants after the show. I didn't watch Cook, Jordan or Daughtery's season but I have bought their music. I'm not sure why people care about whose ratings are the highest or who has more stars. Really? Does that make it a good show? Not for me.

--------------------
+Quote Post
taperjean_girl
post May 27th 2013, 10:06 PM
Post #654

1. American Idol - definitely needs a bit of freshening up here and there especially when it comes to themes. However, it is the show where I get most invested in the contestants and that is the most important thing.

2. The Voice - the judges chemistry and blind auditions are fun to watch. After the blinds though, the show loses a bit of spark.

3. X factor - hate it. However I do love that they are open to hip hop.

--------------------
+Quote Post
MickeyM1
post May 28th 2013, 9:28 AM
Post #655

QUOTE(Raiden @ May 27th 2013, 6:16 AM) *

Rubbish.

The Voice does give contestants criticism but criticism isn't the centerpiece of the show. Hence, by design, kinder than idol. The criticism is usually limited to constructive criticism by one or two coaches (currently usually Usher and in the past Aguilera - perhaps that middle right red chair is the designated "diva seat"). But you have no idea that they give criticism because your idea of criticism is saying "you sucked" that's it. You expect the voice to be as equally rude as idol.

That is of course never gonna happen. Mark Burnett is a classy and dashing guy, not an ugly midget with Napoleonic complex like Cowell or the Idol execs who are still trying to replicate Simon Cowell's negativity from other judges (= fakery that the viewer detects) The show should have never played-up that pathetic feud between Minaj and Carey to the sky by leaking clips to TMZ and what-not. In retrospect it was an unnecessary overkill attempt to generate attention by negativity (Minaj would have been capable of being hostile without any additional encouragement haha.gif They should have done the opposite: try to restrain Miraj so that her hostility was fewer and far between, thereby less of a dominant theme, then she would have been an excellent Idol judge and perfectly executed the "Cowell replacement" role that the execs were looking for and who knows would have attracted extra viewers that were desperately needed by the season.

It's not rubbish. Who says they have to be mean like Simon? They still should be able to tell a contestant we when they are out of tune or off in some way. Or like last night when Judith sang an annoying Justin Beiber song that nobody should ever sing, when the backup dancers distract from the performance, or when the backup singers overpower the contestant, they should be able to point out important performance flaws. Instead of calling every performance awesome and amazing. Or don't apologize for giving honest feedback. Otherwise, they should just not comment at the end of a performance.

[quote name='Raiden' post='25755923' date='May 27th 2013, 6:16 AM']

This post has been edited by MickeyM1: May 28th 2013, 9:34 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
brownies
post May 28th 2013, 10:04 AM
Post #656

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI11: Elise Testone

QUOTE(angelita100 @ May 27th 2013, 9:34 PM) *

I''m not sure what producing stars has to do with the actual sitting down and watching entertainment. The Kardashians have produced stars but I'm not buying anything they are selling.

Idol was actually very hard to watch this season. It had judges that wouldn't look at each other. It had a heavy hand of manipulation to leave boys out of the mix. It had irrelevant theme nights. And it has a mean undercurrent. I've watched 4 total seasons of this show. I actually watched a lot of this season but finally tuned out after the push to get Amber and Angie to the finale. I came back for the final two but sorta watched on fast forward skipping everything but the singing. Really, the only way to watch idol.

X Factor is just way too over the top and cheesy for me. I watched the first season and I'll never watch it again.

I love The Voice for the pure entertainment value. The judges are fantastic. I laugh a lot. Nbody gets made fun of. There are no bad auditions. It has a few issues and it's not perfect but if could only watch one it would be the voice.

Yes Idol has a wonderful machine in place for after the show but I don't have to watch one hour of Idol to enjoy any the contestants after the show. I didn't watch Cook, Jordan or Daughtery's season but I have bought their music. I'm not sure why people care about whose ratings are the highest or who has more stars. Really? Does that make it a good show? Not for me.

These shows are built because they are trying to find the next "American Idol, "Voice (of US)" and someone who has the "X Factor (to become a superstar).

Yes, for you it's just entertainment and all but to the people who joins these competitions, they want to achieve stardom. They didn't audition just to entertain everyone watching. Joining is already an exposure for them because they want to start a career. They want to become known artists and maybe get their stuff out there. So producing stars is a big criteria.

And I bet they do not ask is not "Are you the next American Entertainer?"

And you can't compare The Kardashians' show to these shows because it's not even a competition show.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
Spencer Lloyd | Sam Woolf | Jess Meuse | Majesty Rose | Alex Preston
Ethan Harris | Briston Maroney | Casey Thrasher
+Quote Post
MickeyM1
post May 28th 2013, 3:20 PM
Post #657

QUOTE(CookyMonzta @ May 27th 2013, 7:45 PM) *

Just as I had predicted.

Here is the full chart:

Full 2012-2013 TV Season Series Rankings

I hope these ratings are not an indication that they are going to try to emulate the Voice. The Voice is not some big shining example of what to do to attract younger viewers. It's now down to a 3.1. Perhaps singing current songs and crappy current songs at that are not bringing the ratings. Crappy Justin Beiber songs are not going to bring in the ratings.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sage
post May 28th 2013, 6:05 PM
Post #658

Well, thank God Mike Darnell is gone, but his heavy imprint on the show heavily damaged it the past few years. Along with Nigel and Ken refusing to update the show to this century...

Was watching The Voice last night and one can quibble over the quality of talent between the two shows, but the band and the staging on The Voice is more contemporary, more today. Idol needs to trash that outdated set they have, get a better band, etc. The show has become so dated it's unreal.

--------------------
+Quote Post
koifish
post May 29th 2013, 8:15 AM
Post #659

QUOTE(blehblah @ May 25th 2013, 8:18 PM) *

I was looking at the UK and it's impressive that in the last 5 and a half years X Factor UK's pulled out way more notable artists than the US has, both domestically and (somewhat) here.

Cher Lloyd #1, 4
Little Mix #1, 3

IIRC, American Idol's 11 seasons combined have only had 4 contestants with even 3 T40 singles post-show - Kelly, Carrie, Daughtry, Jordin. All those are pre-2008 contestants. You could in theory blame low ratings on really recent contestants not making it big on the singles market, but that's no excuse for the contestants of S2, S3, S7, S8, S9 when the show was #1.

The UK singles market is a much easier market to break into than the US's because 1) it's not nearly as global, and 2) not as volatile to trends. Also, American Idol recording artists tend to be album artists and not singles artists, and their album sales/positions reflect that. Along with Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry, and Jordin Sparks, we have Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard, David Cook, Kellie Pickler, Fantasia, Adam Lambert, Jennifer Hudson, and Scotty McCreery who have had 2+ albums in the T10 of BB200. That's a pretty impressive list.

This post has been edited by koifish: May 29th 2013, 8:16 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
crash2007
post May 30th 2013, 1:15 PM
Post #660

QUOTE(blehblah @ May 25th 2013, 7:18 PM) *

Cher Lloyd #1, 4
Little Mix #1, 3

I don't think that's all that surprising, honestly. American audiences tend to see reality shows as a blemish on an artist's CV rather than a selling point. It becomes a stigma the artist has to escape. Couple this with the fact that if they're on national American television, a large portion of the audience has already seen the low points of their journey, which might sour some of them, and the bitter grapes of some fanbases having their favorites eliminated in favor of the winner and runner-up sours even more. All that added together, the 3 or 4 major success stories Idol has produced (along with the dozen or so lesser successes) really defies the odds, and also explains why acts like 1D and Carly Rae Jepsen don't face quite the same skepticism from American audiences.

Furthermore, I also think XFUK is smart in that it produces acts that appeal to UK audiences. The American shows seem to be more hit or miss when it comes to that, XFUS in particular. Simon thought he could import his formula whole cloth and reap the benefits, but the overload of bubblegum pop contestants turns off American viewers. Rock and country still grab enormous portions of overall music sales in America, and they're terribly underrepresented on that show. It's no accident that in season 2, a jazz pop act in the vein of Adele and a country music act likely initially intended to be a token early eliminee ended up making the top 2. Both of those music styles appeal to American television viewers more than boy bands, girl bands, and interchangeable pop girls, particularly since reality singing show viewer demographics tend to skew older here.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

38 Pages V « < 31 32 33 34 35 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Apr 24th 2014, 4:58 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol