Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Possibly Maybe" vs. "The Power of Love"
Raphy
post Aug 30th 2012, 2:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Blend Artists

Fav. CI4: Eva Avila
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. CI5: Carly Rae Jepsen

I was very surprised when the judges stood up for "Power of Love" yet they didn't stand up for "Possibly Maybe". Tiffany was outstanding in that routine but I thought it was a very cheesy and generic contemporary routine. Whereas Cole's routine was shocking and outstanding. "Possibly Maybe" way more memorable. This is just my opinion... does anyone else agree?

This was supposed to be a poll. but I guess it didn't want to work. closedeyes.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB Image
BB16: Nicole, Donny, Derrick, Vici, Zach TARC2: Rob/Ryan, Hockey Girls, Sukhi/Ginder SYTYCD11: Jacque, Serge, Carly, Tanisha, Zack, Teddy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Aug 30th 2012, 2:29 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

Lackey
post Aug 30th 2012, 2:36 PM
Post #2

Group: Members

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. Singer: Allison Iraheta

Both were awesome but Possibly Maybe was far more interesting

--------------------
Idol 10: Haley, James, Casey
Idol 11: JESSICA, Skylar, Hollie, Elise, DeAndre, Phillip
IPB Image

Check out my movie review blog!
+Quote Post
dipz0r
post Aug 30th 2012, 2:37 PM
Post #3

Possibly Maybe is one of the best dances ever from the show.
That is due to Allison being perfect and the best dancer that ever stepped on SYTYCD.
I read on youtube comments that 'Allison should win every season of the show' and I couldn't agree more.
Cole was good also.

I still love Tiffany and she was amazing, again! Even with that cheesy music.
heart.gif

--------------------
Jessica, Caleb.
Majesty, MK, Briana, Emily, Brandy.
+Quote Post
boogieshooz
post Aug 30th 2012, 2:43 PM
Post #4

Fav. SYTYCDC4: Melissa Mitro
Fav. SYTYCD6: Jakob Karr
Fav. SYTYCDNL: Lorenzo Bottazzi

I was more impressed with "Possibly Maybe" overall, but it was mostly because of Allison, and Allison's not competing. If I were to compare Tiffany's performance to Cole's, I would say Tiffany's performance was more impressive.

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
SYTYCD11 ROBBED
credit: sublymonal

+Quote Post
atxmarksiefan
post Aug 30th 2012, 2:46 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(boogieshooz @ Aug 30th 2012, 2:43 PM) *

I was more impressed with "Possibly Maybe" overall, but it was mostly because of Allison, and Allison's not competing. If I were to compare Tiffany's performance to Cole's, I would say Tiffany's performance was more impressive.

I agree with this 100%. Allison was absolutely perfect. Though she's always been one of my favorites, it amazes me that this many years later she can continue to amaze me.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Harkins
post Aug 30th 2012, 2:48 PM
Post #6

Group: NX Subscribers

I don't want to suffer any fan-boy/girl related injuries but tiffany was being lifted for almost the whole dance, which I surely the same as cyrus lifting jaimie for his whole dance?

And to answer possibly maybe wins hands down! Also cole isn't getting enough credit! Yes allison was stunning as per, but I really enjoyed cole in it as well

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB Image
+Quote Post
zyanazur
post Aug 30th 2012, 2:56 PM
Post #7

Fav.

After rewatching the routines I'm still more impressed by Cole's performance (who more than hold his own with Allison) than by Tiffany's but to her defense it has to be said that Mandy Moore's choreography required overblown and pompous dramatics, there's no room for subtlety and depth as a result which made her routine feel hollow to me not to mention cheesy and tacky.

--------------------
SYTYCD11 ♂ ::

IPB Image

+Quote Post
emmie
post Aug 30th 2012, 3:14 PM
Post #8

Fav. SYTYCD9: Cole Horibe
Fav. SYTYCD10: Jasmine Harper
Fav. SYTYCD11: Zack Everhart

I actually preferred TPOL.

--------------------
DWTS19: Bethany. Janel & Val. Tavis & Sharna. Sadie & Mark. Jonathan & Allison.
+Quote Post
Erestor
post Aug 30th 2012, 4:01 PM
Post #9

Tiffany > Cole
Allison > Ade

But overall, I loved TPOL more. Both were great though.

--------------------
+Quote Post
chihpei
post Aug 30th 2012, 7:42 PM
Post #10

Cole>Tiffany
Allison > Ade

--------------------
+Quote Post
dipz0r
post Aug 31st 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #11

Allison > Ade
Tiffany > Cole
Possibly Maybe > The Power of Love

--------------------
Jessica, Caleb.
Majesty, MK, Briana, Emily, Brandy.
+Quote Post
soulkissage
post Sep 1st 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #12

Fav. SYTYCD5: Evan Kasprzak
Fav. SYTYCD7: Billy Bell
Fav. X Factor: Carly Rose Sonenclar

Imo Power of love is a lesser Cosmic love. It doesn't have the flow or emotional behind it but the choreography feels similar to me. Tiffany just doesn't bring the emotion of the song. She seems happy to be performing but her face doesn't show the maturity Celine's overwrought vocals demand. She has the cheesy down but there has got to be a combination that just isn't there imo. The piece moves ok but nothing special. Cosmic love brought more and moved better. At least live on tour-which is my last memories of the dance.

Possibly maybe is nearly all Allison for me. She is very fit right now and almost has the look of a traditional Ballerina in the piece. She kind of looks/moves like a doll/marionette and her performance feels like a silent movie. Her ability to stop is so sudden it's chillingly beautiful.Cole-I can't even see Cole's face. maybe the performance isn't lit for his color and costume. I do know that a lot of what Allison can do is because she has a partner who can lift her and carry her without making it obvious or a strain but the dance is all about her. it's about her need and her passion for him. It really is another take at addiction. I think Sonya was inspired by Cole's version of addiction and created a dance out of it. But it's still all about Allison's performance though. And it's choreographed that way. Which is annoying. It's understandable with Allison's talent but that's why the all stars should have been left to be the guest performers-especially this season when the dancers aren' getting a lot of dances to grow.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ZephyrOfJune
post Sep 1st 2012, 5:08 AM
Post #13

I would say Possibly Maybe could be one of the best dances on the show ever and one of the best if not the best Sonya routine, but without a doubt the most disturbing one I've ever seen, which I think is brilliant. For me to this is mostly because of Allison; heck I love Cole and I think he did great, but for me Allison is in her own league above any other dancer on SYTYCD. The one thing I think the dance and Cole suffer from is that Cole played basically the same kind of character as two weeks ago in addiction. But that wasn't his or Sonya's fault, that whole episode just shouldn't have happened. The choreography in this dance was very different and really amazingly good, so it deserves as much merit as addiction, but I feel just because of the similarity of the character and Cole having been in both it makes it seem like a spinoff.

I absolutely loved Tiffany and Ade. I usually don't like these type of dances to these type of songs (hated I Will Always Love You), but for some reason this worked for me really really well. I think it's because of Tiffany cause she is just a stunning dancer.

An interesting thing to note is how different these two dances are, they're basically the opposite. Possibly Maybe is dark and disturbing - this is actually the only time I felt pain when watching a dance (not even Kayla and Kupono's addiction really disturbed me and made me feel bad). And The Power of Love is uplifting and happy and beautiful. I think Possibly Maybe is probably artistically on a higher level, but I enjoyed both about the same, tho it totally opposite ways.

This post has been edited by ZephyrOfJune: Sep 1st 2012, 5:17 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
taylorkat
post Sep 5th 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #14

Fav. AI8: Kris Allen
Fav. AI11: Elise Testone
Fav. AI13: Malaya Watson

QUOTE(dipz0r @ Aug 30th 2012, 3:37 PM) *

That is due to Allison being perfect and the best dancer that ever stepped on SYTYCD.

I agree, my favorite dancer ever on the show. wub.gif

--------------------
XFUK11: jake.lola.monica.lizzy.ten/DWTS: janel.alfonso.sadie
IPB Image
Credit to Nadskerd/R.I.P. Michael Johns, Robin Williams, Joan Rivers, Simone Battle
+Quote Post
*Wallace
post Sep 8th 2012, 5:20 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Group: Neurox Media Moderators

Fav. SYTYCD2: Allison Holker
Fav. SYTYCD4: Courtney Galiano
Fav. BB16: Amber Borzotra

I enjoyed and found "Possibly Maybe" more interesting and powerful. I loved both routines though. But "The Power of Love" reminds me too much of other Contemporaries, like the Melissa/Ade first Contemporary and Caitlynn/Mitchell 2nd Contemporary.

QUOTE(dipz0r @ Aug 30th 2012, 3:37 PM) *

I read on youtube comments that 'Allison should win every season of the show' and I couldn't agree more.

heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
bbus16: amber. donny. nicole. derrick. cody. jocasta. hayden. paola. zach. | sytycd11: jessica. carly. ricky. serge. jacque. tanisha. zack. rudy. emilio. valerie. | xfau6: reigan. xox. dean. caitlyn. tee. jason. marlisa. | cbb14: dee. stephanie. gary. george. frenchy. james. edele. lauren. | av credit: denise.
+Quote Post
JustMeTalking
post Sep 8th 2012, 6:13 PM
Post #16

Fav. SYTYCD4: Katee Shean
Fav. SYTYCD8: Caitlynn Lawson

You know what, though? As much as I absolutely LOVED Possibly Maybe, perhaps we should possibly maybe ask ourselves.....

If the All Star outshines the contestant they are dancing with, doesn't that defeat their purpose? I don't know how many people (me included) have said that they watched Allison the whole time. That's not exactly beneficial to Cole (and eventually...it didn't benefit him since he's now gone).

Or, should we go to the flip side of the argument and say that the All Star SHOULD be at that excellence level, in order to raise the bar for the contestant to meet them.

I always go back and forth with this, myself....and it's often in routines that - funny - either involve Allison or Twitch as an All Star.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Sep 19th 2014, 6:52 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol