Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >   ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Jessica Sanchez marketable in the U.S.?
TedZanarukando
post Aug 16th 2012, 3:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI11: Jessica Sanchez
Fav. AI12: Amber Holcomb
Fav. SYTYCD8: Ashley Rich

Marketability: It's impossible to market Jessica in this country.

Many Phillip Phillips fans are doubting the marketability of our Idol Jessica Sanchez. In one thread of my mine, Steven has outright questioned her marketability by posting that it is impossible to market her in the United States, but strongly object. It may have to do with race factor. Jessica Sanchez's musical style is very much mainstream. Bruno Mars is half Filipino, and he is very much marketable. The unmarketable Filipino singers, like Charice Pempengco, are usually pop singers. Phillip Phillips' fanbase thinks that Jessica Sanchez will be a flop.

This post has been edited by TedZanarukando: Aug 16th 2012, 9:15 PM

--------------------
Tedius Zanarukando, the Magnolia BluJay
Jessica Sanchez should have won instead of Phillip Phillips.
FAVORITES - AI1: Tamyra Gray, Christina Christian, Justin Guarini. AI2: Ruben Studdard, Trenyce, Rickey Smith. AI3: Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia Barrino, George Huff. AI4: Vonzell Solomon, Nikko Smith, Carrie Underwood. AI5: Elliott Yamin, Mandisa, Lisa Tucker. AI6: Jordin Sparks, Sanjaya Malakar, LaKisha Jones. AI7: Chikezie Eze, Syesha Mercado, David Archuleta. AI8: Jasmine Murray, Lil Rounds, Anoop Desai. AI9: Michael Lynche, Paige Miles, Andrew Garcia. AI10: Jacob Lusk, Ashthon Jones, Stefano Langone. AI11: Jessica Sanchez, Joshua Ledet, DeAndre Bracksensick. AI12: Amber Holcomb, Candice Glover, Burnell Taylor. XFUS1: Marcus Canty, The Stereo Hogzz, Melanie Amaro. XFUS2: Diamond White, Fifth Harmony, Arin Ray
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Aug 16th 2012, 3:10 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

lwien
post Aug 16th 2012, 3:31 PM
Post #2

Why in the hell wouldn't she be?

Sorry Ted, but I gotta say that that is the most ridiculous question that I've ever seen asked here.

Now, if you narrowed it down a bit and asked if she would be marketable in Mississippi, that would have more validity. whistling.gif

This post has been edited by lwien: Aug 16th 2012, 3:42 PM

--------------------
BlueJay #135
+Quote Post
kinera
post Aug 16th 2012, 5:48 PM
Post #3

Fav. AI5: Chris Daughtry

Considering the question said "in the US" I have to assume it is talking about race, and not something else.

Her race wasn't a problem getting her 2nd out of the 25 who made the voting rounds.... with the almost 50 year old southern idol demo... so it shouldn't be any problem marketing her to west and east coast urban/R&B/pop which is largely ethnic anyway.

A lot of fans of other contestants are still mad Jessica placed higher than their special snowflake. Haters gonna hate.

--------------------
+Quote Post
smittenKat
post Aug 16th 2012, 8:22 PM
Post #4

Fav. Jena Irene

I wouldn't listen to those naysayers. They are just negative people who hardly ever have anything good to say about Jessica. Maybe they are secretly jealous and envious of our idol. She is afterall extremely talented and beautiful.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mantai
post Aug 16th 2012, 8:49 PM
Post #5

i would start jess' recording career on a more (very) POSITIVE note...people who outright question her marketability are other idols' fans...i mean, why should they be concerned about another idol's record sales than their own's...that begs to be asked...

now if it's jess record people who are thinking about that, among other things, then it shouldnt get talked about needlessly...and she wont be taken in, in the first place

imo, jess would find her niche, whether in the short or long-term...no way her talent wont be shared and heard in the Us and anywhere else in the planet original.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
PyjamaPants
post Aug 16th 2012, 8:53 PM
Post #6

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart

QUOTE(mantai @ Aug 17th 2012, 11:49 AM) *

i would start jess' recording career on a more (very) POSITIVE note...people who outright question her marketability are other idols' fans...i mean, why should they be concerned about another idol's record sales than their own's...that begs to be asked...

now if it's jess record people who are thinking about that, among other things, then it shouldnt get talked about needlessly...and she wont be taken in, in the first place

imo, jess would find her niche, whether in the short or long-term...no way her talent wont be shared and heard in the Us and anywhere else in the planet original.gif

Amen.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Luvaerin
post Aug 17th 2012, 4:11 AM
Post #7

It could all depend on the materials in the album that she will be putting out. I wish I can say 100% yes but it is hard to predict based on the type of music that are popular nowadays...nonsense bubblegum pop. I just hope the producers really study the way they market her album and her to non-Jessica fans (yet). Yes, I believe race is still gonna be an issue somehow. noexpression.gif
But gosh how I love this girl!! wub.gif

--------------------
#BecauseOfJessicaSanchez I met the Blujays!
+Quote Post
Thom0065
post Aug 17th 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #8

I probably shouldn't wade into this but her goes ....Racism? Really?? What the music business isn't integrated at this point?... Alright maybe some white guys had trouble breaking into the rap scene, but not much as the Beastie's were inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame by none other than Chuck D. ... No, jessica wil rise or fall on the quality of her music... If its epic stuff then she will have a Carrie Underwood type career... If iless than epic than that she will have to work her butt off like Haley and Durbin (both white) are doing with small gigs and promotions....long term her heritage is an asset .. She is Latina and Asian the two fastest growing demo's in the US... With her looks and wholesome image she is potentially a marketing dream... Anyway that's MHO ...

--------------------
+Quote Post
boying
post Aug 19th 2012, 6:11 PM
Post #9

Fav. AI8: Allison Iraheta
Fav. Idol: Kelly/JHud/Jessica

unfortunately, yes it would be hard.
race is definitely an issue.

hope she proves me wrong.

--------------------
Jessica.Hollie.Colton.DeAndre.Phillips
+Quote Post
aaronarrgh
post Sep 3rd 2012, 11:59 PM
Post #10

What kind of question is this?!?!?! They play Alicia Keys/Beyonce/Rihanna NON-STOP where I live. Maybe the people who question that has never left their home state of Oklahoma.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazuki
post Sep 4th 2012, 1:25 PM
Post #11

Stomp, Stomp. I have arrived

Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. AI13: Jessica Meuse

It's hard to answer because we dont know what will happen. Though we haven't seen a successful asian american act in a long time in the mainstream market.

Although if Fairytale is any indication of what her market is, then she could see some success in the U.S if they market her as the next teen sensation. However, she will be no doubt a huge international star thats for sure.

This post has been edited by hazuki: Sep 4th 2012, 1:27 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
twitter|tumblr|last.fm|Credit: Jack
AI13:Jess Meuse, Jena Asciutto, Malaya Watson, Austin Wolfe, Kristen O Connor, George Lovett
+Quote Post
aaronarrgh
post Sep 11th 2012, 5:04 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(lwien @ Aug 16th 2012, 4:31 PM) *

Why in the hell wouldn't she be?

Sorry Ted, but I gotta say that that is the most ridiculous question that I've ever seen asked here.

Now, if you narrowed it down a bit and asked if she would be marketable in Mississippi, that would have more validity. whistling.gif

You just hit it on the nail with "if you narrowed it down a bit and asked if she would be marketable in Mississippi."
Pop/R&B is played non-stop on the radio. I don't understand why someone would say that she's unmarketable in the U.S. As for Phillip, his type of music would never get played where I live (New York) and is very regional in terms of appeal. The people who question Jessica's marketability need to get out more often.

This post has been edited by aaronarrgh: Sep 11th 2012, 5:05 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
toyall123
post Sep 11th 2012, 5:54 PM
Post #13

Fav. AI4: Vonzell Solomon
Fav. AI5: Elliott Yamin
Fav. Anime: Monster

She very well could be, but I don't expect too much from Idol contestants. The amount of albums sold seems to vary depending on the ratings. And Idol hasn't been doing too hot. I just can't see anyone this season or future seasons selling a gold album.

--------------------
"My eyes can see the death of everything. I can cut the lines as long as I understand the death behind it. This means I can kill anything, even if that thing is God."-Shiki Ryougi (Garden of Sinners)
IPB Image
+Quote Post
xzchief
post Sep 15th 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #14

Two words: Jasmine Trias.

Is she still popular in the Philippines? I know she once had a strong following in Hawaii and the Pacific Rim. However, she was not popular in the other 49 American states. Wikipedia claims her first--and to date, only--album sold 59,000 copies. She sold twice as many in Asia (30,000) as in the U.S. (14,000). Even the Philippines (15,000) bettered her American total.

Granted, Jasmine finished third behind Diana DeGarmo and Fantasia Barrino. However, her lack of success in the U.S. doesn't bode well for Jessica. Jessica may be more popular than was Jasmine but American Idol circa 2012 is less popular than was American Idol circa 2004.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mantai
post Sep 16th 2012, 12:30 AM
Post #15

i respect ur opinion...

though, imo, jessica's talent and overall persona is worth the so-called "risks of failure" in launching her as a recording artist. she is so talented not to try to achieve lots more and become successful....and success can be accomplished in so many ways.

am betting she will go far, farther than most...just give her time original.gif

This post has been edited by mantai: Sep 16th 2012, 12:33 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
toyall123
post Sep 16th 2012, 1:16 AM
Post #16

Fav. AI4: Vonzell Solomon
Fav. AI5: Elliott Yamin
Fav. Anime: Monster

QUOTE(mantai @ Sep 15th 2012, 10:30 PM) *

i respect ur opinion...

though, imo, jessica's talent and overall persona is worth the so-called "risks of failure" in launching her as a recording artist. she is so talented not to try to achieve lots more and become successful....and success can be accomplished in so many ways.

am betting she will go far, farther than most...just give her time original.gif

She is definitely talented yes.gif But talent does not equal success unfortunately. Some of the most talented people out there will never be discovered or will never be marketed properly.

--------------------
"My eyes can see the death of everything. I can cut the lines as long as I understand the death behind it. This means I can kill anything, even if that thing is God."-Shiki Ryougi (Garden of Sinners)
IPB Image
+Quote Post
mantai
post Sep 16th 2012, 1:31 AM
Post #17

exactly...Jay's being very talented makes it doubly worth (make it triple even) the try to succeed...it would be a waste not to original.gif

This post has been edited by mantai: Sep 16th 2012, 1:32 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jaysangel
post Sep 16th 2012, 7:32 AM
Post #18

of course she is. she's a pretty and young girl who young girls could take inspiration from and teens could identify with (having a boyfriend, shopping, clothes, etc.). let's be real. it's all about the amount of promotions. if she is promoted well, then she's set to go. and i guess that's what her team is going for since i've heard she's going to appear on seventeen.

--------------------
+Quote Post
kinera
post Sep 16th 2012, 10:07 AM
Post #19

Fav. AI5: Chris Daughtry

QUOTE(xzchief @ Sep 15th 2012, 6:19 PM) *

Two words: Jasmine Trias.

Since I watched all of season three living in Hawaii I remember Jasmine Trias pretty well. I don't think being Filipino had anything to do with her lack of success. The fact she didn't release her album, which was mostly forgettable ballads, for over a year after idol ended, and wasn't promoted much didn't help, but there were many other things that didn't allow her to become a star.

She was very cute, with a decent voice, and got by on that during the show many times while very often being in the bottom three (kind of like an Asian Hollie Cavanagh, with a weaker voice). Although she is both Filipino, young, and female like Jessica, I think that is where the similarities end.

They are like opposites in every way.

Jasmine was a plain vanilla ballad singer with no swag. Jessica can do a huge variety of music, from opera to ballad to hip hop and rap. Jasmine also had the stigma of being someone who advanced much farther than she should have. Jessica on the other hand was one of the most visible favorites and front runners during the entire AI live show. With Jessica you can see she will do whatever it takes to be successful. With Jasmine, I never felt she had anywhere near the same drive and motivation to become a star. Jessica is also far far superior to Jasmine vocally and as a performer. Jessica was widely considered one of, if not THE best singer from her season or any season. She also has major acceptance and support from her peers inside the music industry.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jaysangel
post Sep 16th 2012, 11:19 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(kinera @ Sep 16th 2012, 10:07 AM) *

Since I watched all of season three living in Hawaii I remember Jasmine Trias pretty well. I don't think being Filipino had anything to do with her lack of success. The fact she didn't release her album, which was mostly forgettable ballads, for over a year after idol ended, and wasn't promoted much didn't help, but there were many other things that didn't allow her to become a star.

She was very cute, with a decent voice, and got by on that during the show many times while very often being in the bottom three (kind of like an Asian Hollie Cavanagh, with a weaker voice). Although she is both Filipino, young, and female like Jessica, I think that is where the similarities end.

They are like opposites in every way.

Jasmine was a plain vanilla ballad singer with no swag. Jessica can do a huge variety of music, from opera to ballad to hip hop and rap. Jasmine also had the stigma of being someone who advanced much farther than she should have. Jessica on the other hand was one of the most visible favorites and front runners during the entire AI live show. With Jessica you can see she will do whatever it takes to be successful. With Jasmine, I never felt she had anywhere near the same drive and motivation to become a star. Jessica is also far far superior to Jasmine vocally and as a performer. Jessica was widely considered one of, if not THE best singer from her season or any season. She also has major acceptance and support from her peers inside the music industry.

Everything you said thumbsup.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Oct 24th 2014, 1:03 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol