Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Memorable SYTYCD Moments, That which continues to stand out after so many episodes
Nerak
post Jan 22nd 2012, 9:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. SYTYCD3: Danny Tidwell
Fav. SYTYCD4: Mark Kanemura
Fav. SYTYCDCA: Arrasay R & Amanda C

After watching so many seasons and episodes of SYTYCD, much of it becomes a blur. Of course, there will always be some moments that continue to hold a vivid place in our minds.

Let’s recall those moments which have remained with us over the years.

Post the great and “not so” great moments....and feel free to comment on what’s been posted.

What moments are most memorable to you?

This post has been edited by Nerak: Jan 22nd 2012, 2:42 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
So You Think You Can Choreograph
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Jan 22nd 2012, 9:20 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

Nerak
post Jan 22nd 2012, 9:57 AM
Post #2

Mia Michaels is one of my favourite SYTYCD choreographers. Her work is creative, compositionally sound and has meaning. I was really moved by "I Will" performed by the Top 12 of SYTYCD CA Season 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCK_fJXdSeo...feature=related

This post has been edited by Nerak: Jan 22nd 2012, 10:00 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Nerak
post Jan 22nd 2012, 1:54 PM
Post #3

When it comes to choreography on SYTYCD, I find the weakest genre tends to be hip hop. Often it’s nothing more than two dancers side by side, executing the same steps...much like a workshop combination, and not at all creative.

I was glad when lyrical hip hop was introduced to the show, not for the style, but for the choreography. For the most part, the dances had far more compositional structure and had meaning....main stage worthy.

One lyrical hip hop that stands out for me is performed by Mark and Lizzie in SYTYCD UK season 1...choreographed by Kate Prince.

View Video

This post has been edited by Nerak: Jan 22nd 2012, 1:56 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Nerak
post Jan 22nd 2012, 2:12 PM
Post #4

Another lyrical hip hop I found to be super clever is performed by Els and Angelo on SYTYCD Netherlands.....some may not find it to be hip hop or that hip hop shouldn’t be executed to this type of music, but I loved the concept and musicality of the piece.....so different from what we usually see.

View Video

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Nerak
post Jan 22nd 2012, 2:28 PM
Post #5

Sean Cheeseman has had a few misses (remote control anyone?), but for the most part he has created memorable moments on SYTYCD Canada. I don’t think anyone will quickly forget Kim and Everett at the Morgue.

View Video

This post has been edited by Nerak: Jan 22nd 2012, 2:35 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
totes4totes
post Jan 24th 2012, 1:25 AM
Post #6

Fav. SYTYCDA2: Talia Fowler
Fav. SYTYCDC2: Jayme Rae Dailey
Fav. Movie: Star Wars V

QUOTE(Nerak @ Jan 22nd 2012, 12:54 PM) *

When it comes to choreography on SYTYCD, I find the weakest genre tends to be hip hop. Often it’s nothing more than two dancers side by side, executing the same steps...much like a workshop combination, and not at all creative.

I often think that most of the problem with Hip-Hop on the show is incompetent dancers. A LOT of contemporary dancers have trouble faking hip-hop technique when it isn't lyrical simply because the genre is more exposing than others. But there have been some really great hard-hitting hip-hop routines including these two from Canada (which of AusMeriDa is typically the best in that genre).

Jayme Rae/Daniel Dory "Pucker Up" Luther Brown

Melissa Mitro/Adam LoPapa "Buyou" Luther Brown

--------------------

'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Jonas 1998 - 2014
+Quote Post
buffmetube
post Jan 24th 2012, 1:18 AM
Post #7

Group: NX Premium Subscribers

Canada has had the best HH routines lately, thanks to the number of decent choreographers.

--------------------
IPB Image
SYTYCD 11: Serge. Carly. Tanisha. Emilio / sig: Jess
+Quote Post
totes4totes
post Jan 24th 2012, 1:19 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Nerak @ Jan 22nd 2012, 1:12 PM) *

Another lyrical hip hop I found to be super clever is performed by Els and Angelo on SYTYCD Netherlands.....some may not find it to be hip hop or that hip hop shouldn’t be executed to this type of music, but I loved the concept and musicality of the piece.....so different from what we usually see.

I have a lot of problems with lyrical hip-hop on the US version since I think it is just another way to cater to contemporary dancers, but this is one of the best pieces I have seen on the show regardless of genre. This is definitely more experimental hip-hop and it reminds me of another one of my favorite LHH pieces from Australia:

QUOTE(buffmetube @ Jan 24th 2012, 12:18 AM) *

Canada has had the best HH routines lately, thanks to the number of decent choreographers.

I agree. And the capable dancers. Like Poland has a lot of really good hip-hop dancers that too often get saddled with some pretty bland choreo. But Netherlands typically is pretty good. And US and Australia tend to land somewhere in the middle with the US falling short most of the time.

--------------------

Jonas 1998 - 2014
+Quote Post
buffmetube
post Jan 24th 2012, 1:21 AM
Post #9

FAVORITE NON-AUSMERIDA HIP-HOP ROUTINE...

--------------------
IPB Image
SYTYCD 11: Serge. Carly. Tanisha. Emilio / sig: Jess
+Quote Post
verak
post Jan 24th 2012, 1:55 AM
Post #10

Hey, I had a similar idea - to make something about "memorable" moments. But I wanted to do it in more organized way - to choose one-two-may be three dances from EACH season. Sometimes it may be not the best routine, even may be not the favourite one - but the "memorable". Criteria may be different. For example, if you want to explain somebody what SYTYCD is about - what dance will you show? That's one. Another one: imagine you have a limited space and can save only one dance from the season - what it will be?
I even prepared my list already, just wanted to wait a bit - it would be great if Jim (SiracuseMug) could follow, because I think he is one of those who watched the most International Seasons, so it would be interesting to see his choices.
So what do you think, can I just do it in your thread or should I make a separate one?
Most of the routines you mentioned are in my list shifty.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
totes4totes
post Jan 24th 2012, 2:00 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(verak @ Jan 24th 2012, 12:55 AM) *

Hey, I had a similar idea - to make something about "memorable" moments. But I wanted to do it in more organized way - to choose one-two-may be three dances from EACH season. Sometimes it may be not the best routine, even may be not the favourite one - but the "memorable". Criteria may be different. For example, if you want to explain somebody what SYTYCD is about - what dance will you show? That's one. Another one: imagine you have a limited space and can save only one dance from the season - what it will be?
I even prepared my list already, just wanted to wait a bit - it would be great if Jim (SiracuseMug) could follow, because I think he is one of those who watched the most International Seasons, so it would be interesting to see his choices.
So what do you think, can I just do it in your thread or should I make a separate one?
Most of the routines you mentioned are in my list shifty.gif

I THINK I AM GOING TO GO FOR A TIE WITH JIM AS FAR AS INTERNATIONAL SEASONS!

Actually, that would be like impossible since he has seen the Greek, German, and Portuguese versions. And I still have 3 more seasons of NL, two more seasons of PL (seasons 1 and 2 are impossible to find) and all of Ukraine.

--------------------

Jonas 1998 - 2014
+Quote Post
verak
post Jan 24th 2012, 2:29 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(totes4totes @ Jan 23rd 2012, 11:00 PM) *

So would you be in for sharing your memorable moments from each season you've seen?

--------------------
+Quote Post
totes4totes
post Jan 24th 2012, 2:33 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(verak @ Jan 24th 2012, 1:29 AM) *

So would you be in for sharing your memorable moments from each season you've seen?

Yeah, I could do that. I was going to do a huge Poland thing in my list thread since I have finished 3-6 of Poland. But I could do that here or wherever.

--------------------

Jonas 1998 - 2014
+Quote Post
verak
post Jan 24th 2012, 3:06 AM
Post #14

So, who remembers what from the "Season that did not exist"? I loved it! They had a real bootcamp, we had time to know well each contestant - and they were so different (including "Big papa" original.gif ); we got a "controversy" - that Blake's cockiness. All in all - it was a great season, it was a great show! I even liked how they could have two couples dance the same choreography in one night - the difference was soo visible (may be that's why they stopped doing that). Dancers were challenged - remember Ryan's and Jamile's ballrooms? Hat was real. Dances were much shorter, though - mostly just one minute - but straight to the point. Ballroom was a real ballroom, it did not need a story and ballroom costumes were real ballroom costumes... "Contemporary" was "lyrical"... I miss this season so much...

My most memorable moments from the Season1 US would be:
Melissa&Artem QS - I think the only "real" QS in a show's history. This is the dance I would keep if I had to save only one routine from the show. Here how quickstep suppose to look:

Destini&Blake Lyrical - I don't care what stupid character Blake has, but for me he was (and still is) the best technical dancer ever on SYTYCD, he has kind of maturity other great dancers are lacking. This is the dance I would show others to impress.

And also very memorable - edging to Guilty Pleasure - was Allan&Melody's Lyrical (the dance itself starts at 2:03) - I could not imagine, how they would dance together, but it happened to be a very emotional piece...

This post has been edited by verak: Jan 24th 2012, 3:25 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Nerak
post Jan 24th 2012, 5:06 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(buffmetube @ Jan 24th 2012, 1:18 AM) *

I could probably agree with you, if I was able to erase all of Sho TYme's choreography from my mind. IMO he is one of the worst choreographers of all time.....the dancers just stand side by side and do the same steps....and to me, that's not choreography. Sho Tyme is good stylistically, but I can't think of one piece that couldn't have very easily been a solo.

Oh...and then some brilliant judge would say that they didn't feel the chemistry. Are you kidding me? How can there be chemistry when there is nothing interactive about the dance?

I have enjoyed quite a few of Luther's pieces.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Nerak
post Jan 24th 2012, 4:54 AM
Post #16

[quote name='totes4totes' post='24693201' date='Jan 24th 2012, 1:19 AM']

[quote name='buffmetube' post='24693205' date='Jan 24th 2012, 1:21 AM']
FAVORITE NON-AUSMERIDA HIP-HOP ROUTINE...

[/quote]

Gotta Luv this dance

QUOTE(totes4totes @ Jan 24th 2012, 1:19 AM) *

I agree. And the capable dancers. Like Poland has a lot of really good hip-hop dancers that too often get saddled with some pretty bland choreo. But Netherlands typically is pretty good. And US and Australia tend to land somewhere in the middle with the US falling short most of the time.

I really enjoy dances like this and sometimes wish that they didn't have to fall into a genre category.

This post has been edited by Nerak: Jan 24th 2012, 4:52 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Nerak
post Jan 24th 2012, 5:37 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(verak @ Jan 24th 2012, 2:29 AM) *

Great idea.

My mind is a little more all over the map, so I don't think I could be that organized.

I for one, haven't watched every episode from every country yet and have possibly missed some truly great dances....I'd be happy to watch others memorable moments, even if I haven't gotten to that episode yet

BTW....I'm obviously more technically challenged than most....I can't get the videos to show right on the post, just a link....I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me with that...please PM me....thanks

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Nerak
post Jan 24th 2012, 9:25 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(verak @ Jan 24th 2012, 3:06 AM) *

So, who remembers what from the "Season that did not exist"? I loved it! They had a real bootcamp, we had time to know well each contestant - and they were so different (including "Big papa" original.gif ); we got a "controversy" - that Blake's cockiness. All in all - it was a great season, it was a great show! I even liked how they could have two couples dance the same choreography in one night - the difference was soo visible (may be that's why they stopped doing that). Dancers were challenged - remember Ryan's and Jamile's ballrooms? Hat was real. Dances were much shorter, though - mostly just one minute - but straight to the point. Ballroom was a real ballroom, it did not need a story and ballroom costumes were real ballroom costumes... "Contemporary" was "lyrical"... I miss this season so much...

I agree that there was so much to love about season 1...especially, the luck of the draw.

When I think about season 1, I don't think so much about specific dances as I do specific dancers. I think season 1 had the largest range in technical dance ability....some I wasn't sure why they were there and others I thought were outstanding....Blake, Nick, Melody and Ashlee.

Blake's arrogance never bothered me, as he danced with superior technique and passion....he should have made Top 4....I remember feeling quite upset about that.

I too love lyrical and wish that all the SYTYCD shows had a category for Lyrical and Contemporary. For the most part on most shows, contemporary doesn't even involve modern dance technique...it has become just a mishmash of everything.

I'm not sure what changes the upcoming season has in store for us, but it would be nice to have random partnerships and genres...we may get stronger dancing with assignments, but I think it is more fair and entertaining when the dancers are evenly challenged.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
SyracuseMug
post Jan 24th 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #19

Fav. SYTYCD3: Jaimie Goodwin
Fav. SYTYCD5: Janette Manrara
Fav. SYTYCD PO6: Ania Tarnowska

QUOTE(totes4totes @ Jan 24th 2012, 2:00 AM) *

Actually, that would be like impossible since he has seen the Greek, German, and Portuguese versions. And I still have 3 more seasons of NL, two more seasons of PL (seasons 1 and 2 are impossible to find) and all of Ukraine.

I'm happy that your interest has been kindled, and I'd love to have another person around who has seen a lot of the internationals. Butte is the only person I know who was watched as much as I have, and maybe even more. laughing.gif

I've also seen Scandinavia, Finland, Lithuania, and parts of Turkey and South Africa. But among non-English versions, none of these match up to Poland, Netherlands, or Ukraine. Portugal had a few dancers who were very good, but much of the choreo was mediocre, so they never really got to shine. Scandinavia was a bit on the boring side, and Greece was overall cheesy. Natalie choreographed a lot of the dances, so I did enjoy that aspect. I liked the German version because I love the German language. It wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I did love Eva Nitsch who placed second or third. I can't remember offhand. Finland and Lithuania were both pretty good, but their productions values were rather limited.

I have everything stored on my high drive, and backed up on another in case it ever crashes, so I can provide you with clips from PO1 & 2 if you run out of other options. flowers.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
jstxanothrxstory
post Jan 24th 2012, 1:14 PM
Post #20

Fav. SYTYCD9: Witney Carson
Fav. SYTYCD10: Nico Greetham
Fav. SYTYCD11: Teddy Coffey

I know everyone else hates it because it's largely the reason Janette went home, but it's easily my favorite routine from all of the shows I've seen:

--------------------
I ♥ Andrew. ◄◄ Last.fm. Twitter. Lee-DeWyze.net. It Element 4.
IPB Image
S:SJDS: Jon. Reed. Jaclyn. Natalie. ◄◄ DWTS19: Janel/Val. Alfonso/Witney. Lea/Artem.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Oct 31st 2014, 8:57 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol