Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

3 Pages V < 1 2 3   ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Casey James at the Grand Ole Opry, Making his debut on 1/27/12
ATXfansy
post Jan 29th 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #41

Group: Members

Yes, the Resonator-like acoustic guitar was just the right touch for the Opry and Drive. Leave it to Casey to pull that out of the hat! rolleyes.gif It was probably not lost on the Opry crowd. But it's also instrumentation very true to Country Blues, so it very clearly signaled what Casey's music is all about. Such the young musicologist! Would be interesting to know how long ago he decided to play that particular instrument on his Opry debut. whistling.gif

Dude is nothing if not purposeful. yes.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
"If you see the big picture, the small picture makes more sense."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Jan 29th 2012, 10:27 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

KachinaDoll
post Jan 29th 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #42

True, that. grin.gif

I have to wonder about the jacket that Debra nixed. Just how bad was it? But it was good that he told us why he wasn't wearing one.

The crowd at the Opry Friday night was not young. I think the fan club and the couple dozen Morgan fans brought the average age down considerably. The lady behind me attended her first Opry 55 years ago. So, not the touristy sort of audience one might find in the summertime. These folks knew their stuff. And they really liked Casey. Good for him. cool.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Boudica
post Jan 29th 2012, 1:12 PM
Post #43

QUOTE(ATXfansy @ Jan 29th 2012, 10:27 AM) *

Yes, the Resonator-like acoustic guitar was just the right touch for the Opry and Drive. Leave it to Casey to pull that out of the hat! rolleyes.gif It was probably not lost on the Opry crowd. But it's also instrumentation very true to Country Blues, so it very clearly signaled what Casey's music is all about. Such the young musicologist! Would be interesting to know how long ago he decided to play that particular instrument on his Opry debut. whistling.gif

Dude is nothing if not purposeful. yes.gif

Speaking of purposeful and with you being the authority of all things Texas. I wanted to ask you about Casey's newest band member Roger Ray, formally from Jason Boland & the stragllers. He seems like a great guy to get for Casey, but he is also a lead guitar player so I am wondering how that might work. Do you know anything about the guy? Some Red Dirt fans are not that happy that he is leaving the band for Casey.

This post has been edited by Boudica: Jan 29th 2012, 3:02 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Boudica
post Jan 29th 2012, 1:18 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(KachinaDoll @ Jan 28th 2012, 10:32 PM) *

Boudica, I'm pretty sure Little Jimmy Dickens is a gateway drug to all kinds to hard twang. Be careful!

haha.gif

QUOTE(KachinaDoll @ Jan 29th 2012, 10:49 AM) *

True, that. grin.gif

I have to wonder about the jacket that Debra nixed. Just how bad was it? But it was good that he told us why he wasn't wearing one.

The crowd at the Opry Friday night was not young. I think the fan club and the couple dozen Morgan fans brought the average age down considerably. The lady behind me attended her first Opry 55 years ago. So, not the touristy sort of audience one might find in the summertime. These folks knew their stuff. And they really liked Casey. Good for him. cool.gif

You know if I had to take a wild guess I am going to say that the jacket in question was that blue grayish one he wore to one of the awards shows, I cant remember which award show it was. That jacket would go with that shirt, although that shirt is just a very strange colour I cant tell what colour it actually is. Is it blue, grey, cream, very light brown or a bit khaki?

It is cool to know there actually people who where not there for Casey who liked him.

This post has been edited by Boudica: Jan 29th 2012, 1:19 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ATXfansy
post Jan 29th 2012, 9:01 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(Boudica @ Jan 29th 2012, 1:12 PM) *

Speaking of purposeful and with you being the authority of all things Texas. I wanted to ask you about Casey's newest band member Roger Ray, formally from Jason Boland & the stragllers. He seems like a great guy to get for Casey, but he is also a lead guitar player so I am wondering how that might work. Do you know anything about the guy? Some Red Dirt fans are not that happy that he is leaving the band for Casey.

That band has been together for almost 15 years and are more successful on a regional level. Sorta that same situation with not only Red Dirt but tons of other Texas Country bands and performers where they're really not interested in the more commercial Nashville formula (or have tried and didn't make it in Music City) and would rather stay true to their sound and tour/work regionally. So I can see how some die-hard fans might consider Roger a sell-out.

But I'm not at all surprised that Roger Ray is defecting to Casey's band. For several reasons: it gives Roger another shot at a Nashville career and to play and tour nationally (= greater security & income). Roger is a pedal steel player along with lead and rhythm guitar. I definitely see the need for another guitar player in the band for times when Casey has to focus on vocals or just having another layer of guitar work to the sound - their sound has been thin IMO - so I'm excited. Especially since Casey's album is supposed to have lots of slide work, and LDCIAN has pedal steel on it, so another guitar player gives them a lot more options musically. Also if Casey wants to perfect a Country Blues sound, a second, journey-man multi-instrumentalist, could be very cool. With Roger in the current personnel, they have the same instrumentation as Jamey Johnson's touring band and they rock butt live. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by ATXfansy: Jan 29th 2012, 9:08 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Boudica
post Jan 30th 2012, 5:03 AM
Post #46

QUOTE(ATXfansy @ Jan 29th 2012, 9:01 PM) *

That band has been together for almost 15 years and are more successful on a regional level. Sorta that same situation with not only Red Dirt but tons of other Texas Country bands and performers where they're really not interested in the more commercial Nashville formula (or have tried and didn't make it in Music City) and would rather stay true to their sound and tour/work regionally. So I can see how some die-hard fans might consider Roger a sell-out.

But I'm not at all surprised that Roger Ray is defecting to Casey's band. For several reasons: it gives Roger another shot at a Nashville career and to play and tour nationally (= greater security & income). Roger is a pedal steel player along with lead and rhythm guitar. I definitely see the need for another guitar player in the band for times when Casey has to focus on vocals or just having another layer of guitar work to the sound - their sound has been thin IMO - so I'm excited. Especially since Casey's album is supposed to have lots of slide work, and LDCIAN has pedal steel on it, so another guitar player gives them a lot more options musically. Also if Casey wants to perfect a Country Blues sound, a second, journey-man multi-instrumentalist, could be very cool. With Roger in the current personnel, they have the same instrumentation as Jamey Johnson's touring band and they rock butt live. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Thanks ATX!

I have always thought it might be cool for Casey to have a another guitar player, it means he could have someone to really play off against and we could properly expect a few epic guitar duels! But it will also be someone who is properly right at the front of the stage next to him who is also performing, so he wouldn't have to carry everything alone anymore.
It seems like things are kicking up a gear, as they are getting some good people for Casey's band.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ATXfansy
post Jan 30th 2012, 9:00 AM
Post #47

QUOTE(Boudica @ Jan 30th 2012, 5:03 AM) *

Thanks ATX!

I have always thought it might be cool for Casey to have a another guitar player, it means he could have someone to really play off against and we could properly expect a few epic guitar duels! But it will also be someone who is properly right at the front of the stage next to him who is also performing, so he wouldn't have to carry everything alone anymore.
It seems like things are kicking up a gear, as they are getting some good people for Casey's band.

You may be right but I don't expect Roger front and center with Casey very often if at all, especially since he's a pedal steel player and they are usually arrayed in a crescent in the footprint of the band. I'd more likely think he'll be seated behind and to Casey's left, opposite keyboards. Like this left-to-right: pedal steel/rhythm guitars, drums, bass, & keyboards; with Casey's leads & vocals center front.

But it won't be long before all is revealed. w00t.gif smile.gif sorcerer.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Boudica
post Jan 30th 2012, 9:19 AM
Post #48

QUOTE(ATXfansy @ Jan 30th 2012, 9:00 AM) *

You may be right but I don't expect Roger front and center with Casey very often if at all, especially since he's a pedal steel player and they are usually arrayed in a crescent in the footprint of the band. I'd more likely think he'll be seated behind and to Casey's left, opposite keyboards. Like this left-to-right: pedal steel/rhythm guitars, drums, bass, & keyboards; with Casey's leads & vocals center front.

But it won't be long before all is revealed. w00t.gif smile.gif sorcerer.gif

You are right Casey should properly still be the main attraction, he is a solo artists after all. I didn't think there was much thought given in to where exactly everyone is seated, except for the vocalist.

This post has been edited by Boudica: Jan 30th 2012, 9:19 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Boudica
post Jan 30th 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #49

IPB Image

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Sep 30th 2014, 11:05 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol