Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >   ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What David should do to stay in touch during his mission
Upside
post Dec 23rd 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

I know that there are lots of very creative David fans out there. I thought I would start a thread with suggestions as to what David and more likely his team can do during his two year mission to keep the fans engaged and maximize the chances of him having a successful mainstream music career, if he wants it, when he returns.

I am by no means an expert in Mormon religion and I suspect most fans are not either. Let's just consider this a brainstorming session. Who knows, somebody out there might come up with a brilliant idea that David can implement. I will get the ball rolling with a few ideas:

1. Tweet a new picture of himself every day of the mission (except Sunday).
2. Tweet a challenge a week, every week, until the mission is complete and have a winner recognized on the official site each week, with all winners to be invited to a private concert by David when he returns. If possible, have David recognize the winner each week by video or letter.
3. Release music recorded prior to the mission, but spread it out over the two years.
4. Promote the follow-up to Chords of Strength, which will be released after his mission. Maybe provide previews on the Official site.
5. Release a "never before seen" photo of David on the Official site once a week.
6. Ask David's family friends -famous or not- to share their favorite David story. Maybe get them to do a cover of a David song. I would love to hear Brooke White sing My Kind of Perfect!
7. Run David related contests for prizes, including attendance at his first contest back. Contests would involve creatively promoting David and his music.
8. Have David do vlogs encouraging fans to continue supporting the charities they have supported the past four years.
9. Release never before seen video of David. Jeff seemed to have had video equipment for quite a while so I'm sure there must be some video there.
10. Pre-record messages from David for holidays and other events, hopefully with him singing a cover.

Please add your ideas! Please share this post with other David sites. Let's have hundreds of suggestions ready before David leaves so he and his team will have lots of options to choose from. Again, I don't know which suggestions would be permitted under the mission rules but let's just brainstorm for now.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Dec 23rd 2011, 10:13 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

HiyaArchie
post Dec 23rd 2011, 12:50 PM
Post #2

Fav. Dude: David Archuleta

He's not allowed to have a phone so he won't be tweeting anything. And I don't think he can contact his fans. The only people he will be contacting during his mission is his family.

--------------------
Baa.
+Quote Post
Upside
post Dec 23rd 2011, 1:07 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(HiyaArchie @ Dec 23rd 2011, 12:50 PM) *

He's not allowed to have a phone so he won't be tweeting anything. And I don't think he can contact his fans. The only people he will be contacting during his mission is his family.

I thought he could email? Why can't he email stuff and have family tweet out. Many celebrities have their management send out tweets. Is there anything you can think of that he can do?

This post has been edited by Upside: Dec 23rd 2011, 1:08 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
roare
post Dec 23rd 2011, 1:57 PM
Post #4

Does he even have management right now?

I guess whoever updates the Facebook now will probably continue to do so. I know some missionary's families have blogs/websites with updates from their kids, so I guess the family is allowed to post stuff?

--------------------
+Quote Post
moose.
post Dec 23rd 2011, 2:28 PM
Post #5

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AI10: Stefano Langone
Fav. AI11: Heejun Han

QUOTE(HiyaArchie @ Dec 23rd 2011, 10:50 AM) *

yes, some missionaries are provided with a cell phone. of course, it depends on what mission youre in, though. but im fairly certain that they are not allowed to tweet with it.

a lot of the ideas sound like it would take a ton of davids time away from what he should be doing, especially the tweeting a new picture every day. i think it would distract him too much and he would be concentrating on his career, rather than his mission. the third idea sounds good, though. i actually wouldnt be surprised if he did do that. hes said a few times now, that hes more open to the idea of releasing a few songs at a time, rather than an entire album. that sounds like something thats quite doable. how promotion would go, though, i have no idea lol.

--------------------
IPB Image
rad set by kollin
+Quote Post
Upside
post Dec 23rd 2011, 3:00 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(moose. @ Dec 23rd 2011, 2:28 PM) *

yes, some missionaries are provided with a cell phone. of course, it depends on what mission youre in, though. but im fairly certain that they are not allowed to tweet with it.

a lot of the ideas sound like it would take a ton of davids time away from what he should be doing, especially the tweeting a new picture every day. i think it would distract him too much and he would be concentrating on his career, rather than his mission. the third idea sounds good, though. i actually wouldnt be surprised if he did do that. hes said a few times now, that hes more open to the idea of releasing a few songs at a time, rather than an entire album. that sounds like something thats quite doable. how promotion would go, though, i have no idea lol.

Another idea which would keep his name out there is to do a duet with someone who is releasing music in the next couple of years. So, even if David is not around to promote it, the other artist will be.

I don't think that the suggestions I made above would require a lot of David's time so long as his team, likely his family, assist. Regardless, I suspect David could handle the work without being distracted from the main purpose of the mission. I said in another thread, only half jokingly, that the mission may actually be less work for David compared to the crazy schedule he has kept the last 4 years. David works very hard.

I am very interested in seeing whether the Church will apply the exact same rules to David as it does to other missionaries without his celebrity status. I suspect that the same rules have already not been applied. For example, I doubt that for other missionaries, the decision as to the location of the mission will take account how well known the missionary is. Of the 52,000 Mormons currently serving missions, how many go into the mission in circumstances even remotely similar to David's? David probably wants to be treated like any other missionary but practically speaking, that will be impossible. Some flexibility with rules is likely to be applied.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SparkleStarTia
post Dec 23rd 2011, 3:04 PM
Post #7

hope they don't make david delete his FB and twitter! crying.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Upside
post Dec 23rd 2011, 9:29 PM
Post #8

David can record some videos before leaving to give fans some more insight into his music and musical choices. For example, how did he come to do covers of Gotta Get Thru This and Everybody Wants to Rule the World? What was the process involved in writing songs like Don't Let Go or My Kind of Perfect or Zero Gravity? How it is that he can sing Imagine so differently each time he sings it? What it was like working with Charice on HYAMLC? How did he come up with his killer version of Crazy?

David doesn't talk about his music enough and I think that periodically releasing a few videos with David talking about his music will be very interesting to his fans and maybe even up his credibility as a musician.

This post has been edited by Upside: Dec 23rd 2011, 9:30 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
NatesHeadbander
post Jan 1st 2012, 9:47 AM
Post #9

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. Band: DMB

Missionaries aren't allowed to use the internet, watch TV, or any other non approved media. Missionaries can write weekly to their families, but only call home twice a year, on Mother's Day and Christmas. So it's pretty strict stuff. I doubt we will be hearing anything at all from him for 2 years sad.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
avi:[*]||sig:[*]
+Quote Post
katharinekatkat
post Jan 1st 2012, 1:06 PM
Post #10

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI 10: Haley Reinhart

QUOTE(NatesHeadbander @ Jan 1st 2012, 9:47 AM) *

Missionaries aren't allowed to use the internet, watch TV, or any other non approved media. Missionaries can write weekly to their families, but only call home twice a year, on Mother's Day and Christmas. So it's pretty strict stuff. I doubt we will be hearing anything at all from him for 2 years sad.gif

And why do they make it so they are completely shut off from their lives for 2 years? huh.gif I don't get the point of that. wacko.gif thumbdown.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
tibitibi
post Jan 1st 2012, 1:56 PM
Post #11

IDK, he's gonna be pretty much totally absent of the public for the next two years, people barely keeped up with his updateds this last two years, only his hardcore fans were the ones still knowing his latest moves in the business, but for the general audience he has been out of the industry pretty much since 2009 ..... the only thing that can bring him again to the track is his own perseverance once he come back, that if he still wanting a career and what kind , something we don't know and even if he say so now, he can change his mind in he future, he's gonna be totally immerse in a very mystical religious activity, so who knows how that can affect his priorities in the future? ....he still unpredictable with his plans to me.

Oh btw we already know he's gonna be recording this first months before leaving and according to the Filipino fans he's going there to debut in the acting scene ....so i imagine that material gonna be release in his absence?
Don't know what kind of music though ...maybe inspirational stuff , that look and fit more with the living phase he's living now. original.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Upside
post Jan 1st 2012, 9:20 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(tibitibi @ Jan 1st 2012, 1:56 PM) *

IDK, he's gonna be pretty much totally absent of the public for the next two years, people barely keeped up with his updateds this last two years, only his hardcore fans were the ones still knowing his latest moves in the business, but for the general audience he has been out of the industry pretty much since 2009 ..... the only thing that can bring him again to the track is his own perseverance once he come back, that if he still wanting a career and what kind , something we don't know and even if he say so now, he can change his mind in he future, he's gonna be totally immerse in a very mystical religious activity, so who knows how that can affect his priorities in the future? ....he still unpredictable with his plans to me.

Oh btw we already know he's gonna be recording this first months before leaving and according to the Filipino fans he's going there to debut in the acting scene ....so i imagine that material gonna be release in his absence?
Don't know what kind of music though ...maybe inspirational stuff , that look and fit more with the living phase he's living now. original.gif

After David left Jive, I thought he needed something BIG to get back on the radar of the American public. I thought that a great album might not be enough because I just don't think radio would give him a chance. The media would not report on David's new music because they do not see David as " newsworthy". Without radio and the media, the public would not find out about David's new music, no matter how good it is.

I think the mission announcement was that "something big" that put David back on the radar. I know that David's decision to go on a mission had nothing to do with giving his career a kick but I think it has had that effect, and will continue to have that effect. It has rallied his fans. It has resulted in media attention we have not seen in a very long time. The American public is interested in all things Mormon, probably because their next president could be a Mormon. The attention on David will continue when he announces where he will be serving his mission and when he actually leaves. That attention will be there if David's family decides to post updates on David's mission. That attention will be there when David returns.

In short, the decision to go on a mission it has put David back in the spotlight where people would now at least know that he has new music out there. So, ironically, David leaving on a two year mission may turn out to be good for his career. Again, I'm not saying that David is going on his mission to boost his career. I'm saying the decision may have that effect.

--------------------
+Quote Post
tibitibi
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Upside @ Jan 1st 2012, 9:20 PM) *

After David left Jive, I thought he needed something BIG to get back on the radar of the American public. I thought that a great album might not be enough because I just don't think radio would give him a chance. The media would not report on David's new music because they do not see David as " newsworthy". Without radio and the media, the public would not find out about David's new music, no matter how good it is.

I think the mission announcement was that "something big" that put David back on the radar. I know that David's decision to go on a mission had nothing to do with giving his career a kick but I think it has had that effect, and will continue to have that effect. It has rallied his fans. It has resulted in media attention we have not seen in a very long time. The American public is interested in all things Mormon, probably because their next president could be a Mormon. The attention on David will continue when he announces where he will be serving his mission and when he actually leaves. That attention will be there if David's family decides to post updates on David's mission. That attention will be there when David returns.

In short, the decision to go on a mission it has put David back in the spotlight where people would now at least know that he has new music out there. So, ironically, David leaving on a two year mission may turn out to be good for his career. Again, I'm not saying that David is going on his mission to boost his career. I'm saying the decision may have that effect.

Well , don't take this wrong .... yes the news received coverage in a big way , the fact that how the news was delivery has to much to do with that too and most of the comments in the sites who reported it, came from his already fans, LDS people and some from people who think ''is over'', ''we see this coming'' or 'Good Luck''etc.

To take his time to fulfill a personal project and take time off to re-organize his priorities and his life goals it was definitely a need for him ..... many of his fans were already predicting this , since the TOSOD era, even here in IDF , after the last release people noted his change and many decided to leave, since he was struggling to advance with his career and his artistic identity , however like someone already said here, this still a ''Proselytism Mission'' and not all his fans are mormons, so i'm not sure how a detailed update from his mission activity can be interpreted ..... personally i'm interested most and specially in his music , because i love his voice, i know we will hear from him in the future, hopefully because the good music, otherwise i wish him a time full of experiences and self exploring moments.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Upside
post Jan 2nd 2012, 1:25 PM
Post #14

Tibitibi,

It is the fact of the media coverage that is significant. We know that David had a busy 2011 but I bet a large number of non-Idol fans in the U. S. did not. What the announcement gave David was some buzz (like his Imagine performance) and more importantly, an "angle" for the media to want to continue reporting on him. The media always needs an "angle" to do a story. The announcement gave the media a fantastic one - 21 year old teen idol puts singing career, life of luxury, fame and celebrity behind to serve a mission for Mormon church. There will be interest, especially if Romney becomes the Republican presidential nominee. When he returns, the media will report on it and music critics and stations will talk about his music because they will want to know if the mission has changed him. The media also loves "comeback" stories. If there is a silver lining to David being gone for 2 years, this is it. Yes, not all the coverage has been positive but that is inevitable when you have a free press. The mixed coverage is definitely better than the no coverage that plagued the TOSOD era. Again, I not saying David decided to go on a mission to advance his singing career.

--------------------
+Quote Post
NatesHeadbander
post Jan 3rd 2012, 8:50 PM
Post #15

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. Band: DMB

QUOTE(katharinekatkat @ Jan 1st 2012, 1:06 PM) *

And why do they make it so they are completely shut off from their lives for 2 years? huh.gif I don't get the point of that. wacko.gif thumbdown.gif
Maybe this will explain more: http://www.lds4u.com/Missionaries/rules.htm\

It really is kinda crazy

Poor siblings
32. Write less frequently to your siblings, friends, and acquaintances.

I mean what the heck at these 2 rules? Why half court but not full court?
56. Do not play full court basketball.
59. You may play half-court basketball.

haha rule 76 with an added note from the author... haha.gif
76. Never associate inappropriately with anyone of the opposite sex (conversely, they don't mention whether or not it is against the rules to associate inappropriately with anyone of the same sex).

Now I'm not an expert in missions work, but I know a man who goes to other countries to spread the Gospel and from what he's told me, you aren't supposed to try to convert others to your culture and customs. You blend in. For example, if he goes to Afghanistan, he'll wear the turban and whatever else they wear. You don't wanna come into another country like that wearing a white button up shirt, blacks pants, and a tie riding around on a bike. How ridiculous does that make you look? They'll laugh their butts off at you because you look strange to them!
103. Respect the customs and cultures of those who you are trying to convert to your own customs and culture.

HOW ARE YOU RESPECTING THEIR BELIEFS IF YOU'RE TRYING TO CONVERT THEM TO YOUR BELIEF?
104. Respect the beliefs, practices, and sites of other religions.

This post has been edited by NatesHeadbander: Jan 3rd 2012, 9:06 PM

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
avi:[*]||sig:[*]
+Quote Post
istersay
post Jan 4th 2012, 6:25 AM
Post #16

Search and Destroy
Group Icon

Group: Neurox Media Moderators

He's not going on a Mission to have fun or for promotion, it's a sacrifice. huh.gif some people are expecting way too much, he will be off the radar for the most part.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
JohnA
post Jan 4th 2012, 12:09 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(katharinekatkat @ Jan 1st 2012, 1:06 PM) *

And why do you think so? The point of it is to tie the person to the church as closely as possible. Loyal church member = $$$ and free workforce to get even more people into the church.

--------------------
+Quote Post
JORDAN_FAN
post Jan 4th 2012, 8:23 PM
Post #18

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AJ:JordanMcCoy AI3:JohnStevens

QUOTE(istersay @ Jan 4th 2012, 7:25 AM) *

He's not going on a Mission to have fun or for promotion, it's a sacrifice. huh.gif some people are expecting way too much, he will be off the radar for the most part.

This.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Upside
post Jan 4th 2012, 9:12 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(JORDAN_FAN @ Jan 4th 2012, 8:23 PM) *

This.

If Tupac and other dead celebrities can have thriving careers years after their death, it should not be difficult to keep David and his music in the public eye even without David present.

People say long absences are not a problem for established stars. Yes, David is not as big in the US as he was after Idol but he's pretty big and established in Asia. I refuse to believe that interest in Asia will just evaporate during the two years he is absent. The Asian fans and media will play any new music David releases during his absence and report on any news released by his team. With the Internet and twitter, any reporting in Asia can be quickly shared across the world, including in North America.

So with the greatest respect, I absolutely disagree with those who say David will be out of the public eye during his mission. I believe that he and his team have been building the foundation since he left Jive to allow his career to continue during his mission. A plan is in place. During the mission, I suspect his team will be executing the plan and giving us regular doses of David. David can focus on his mission and let his team do the work.

--------------------
+Quote Post
EllaMental
post Jan 4th 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(istersay @ Jan 4th 2012, 7:25 AM) *

This is what I figured, but I didn't realize the rules were so strict regarding communicating with family.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Oct 2nd 2014, 7:30 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol