Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Closed TopicStart new topic
> Bye Bye, David!, He's officially going on a mission!
SparkleStarTia
post Dec 21st 2011, 4:24 PM
Post #41

Group: Members

i agree. he already has affected millions and brought much attention to the LDS church through his music, tours, etc. i hope he changes his mind about this mission. i think whether he knows it or not he is doing it because his church thinks he should do it. i commend him greatly for wanting to serve the Lord but he can do that without cutting himself off from his family, friends, and fans. i think this is maybe also a way for him to take a break from the fame and fans and all the BS that goes on in the music industry. i wish him the best and hope this isn't the end of his career. crying.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Dec 21st 2011, 4:24 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

xxnatalalaliee
post Dec 21st 2011, 6:59 PM
Post #42

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta

QUOTE(minione @ Dec 21st 2011, 4:15 AM) *

IPB Image
David is number three on yahoo top searches. That's amazing haha.gif That hasn't happened since idol days lol

I love that. wub.gif

QUOTE(SparkleStarTia @ Dec 21st 2011, 4:24 PM) *

i agree. he already has affected millions and brought much attention to the LDS church through his music, tours, etc. i hope he changes his mind about this mission. i think whether he knows it or not he is doing it because his church thinks he should do it. i commend him greatly for wanting to serve the Lord but he can do that without cutting himself off from his family, friends, and fans. i think this is maybe also a way for him to take a break from the fame and fans and all the BS that goes on in the music industry. i wish him the best and hope this isn't the end of his career. crying.gif

David's wanted to do this for a long, long time. It's totally 100% his choice and he would have gone sooner if he could have. He loves doing whatever he can for the Lord, and he's extremely happy about this decision. It was totally his decision to do this. I talked to some missionaries at church about their mission and they all said they wish they could just stay there and do that the rest of their lives. It means a lot to them. They love it. The cutting off family and friends thing is hard and will be hard for David and his family, but 2 years will go by extremely fast.

--------------------

"David Archuleta is going to put a smile on your face, I don't care how upset you are." -Kris Allen
+Quote Post
Drew
post Dec 21st 2011, 7:45 PM
Post #43

Fav. AI12: Angie Miller
Fav. XFUK: Ben Haenow

crying.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
set: istersay || xfuk: ben. jake. lauren. jay. fleur. only the young. paul. jack. stereo kicks. lola.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
melissa23
post Dec 21st 2011, 7:58 PM
Post #44

so i posted this twitlonger to explain what a mission is and why he might choose to go on it... to fans that might not understand or be confused about what it is. just figured i'd post it in here too in case anyone wanted to read it. i apologize for the length xD i can't explain things in a short amount of words. hope it makes sense lol.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/es04pg

but i do want to say i am extremely proud of him for doing something for himself, and not caring what anyone else thinks. i definitely am going to miss him so much these next few years, but i know that he'll be happy and he'll have a great experience as well.

--------------------
8.10.08 | 3.2.09 | 6.26.09 | 10.29.09 | 12.17.09 | 12.19.09 | 6.1.10 | 8.27.10 | 9.20.10
IPB Image
4.16.11 | 12.2.11 | credit: BATYA <3 (aka isrealarchie) Met Aaron Kelly 7.18.10 <3
+Quote Post
Upside
post Dec 21st 2011, 8:39 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(melissa23 @ Dec 21st 2011, 7:58 PM) *

so i posted this twitlonger to explain what a mission is and why he might choose to go on it... to fans that might not understand or be confused about what it is. just figured i'd post it in here too in case anyone wanted to read it. i apologize for the length xD i can't explain things in a short amount of words. hope it makes sense lol.

but i do want to say i am extremely proud of him for doing something for himself, and not caring what anyone else thinks. i definitely am going to miss him so much these next few years, but i know that he'll be happy and he'll have a great experience as well.

Re this excerpt from your description:

"And not just the rules, but just missionary work in general is hard. He's going to end up meeting some nasty people. Some people that might think he's crazy, or might think he's trying to sell them his religion. David won't know before meeting these people if they're religious or not, or how they'll react. I've heard some nasty stories from missionaries before, so it can be scary at times too. He's also going to have to come out of his comfort zone a lot, especially since he'll have to be talking to people he doesn't know and just talking a lot and explaining things."

David has been in the music industry for the past 4 years. I'm sure he has had to deal with such people before haha. And as for hard work, I can't think of any young man who has worked harder the past 4 years, been away fom his family more and made more personal sacrifices than David. The mission may be less challenging than the crazy, hectic pace he has maintained since Idol.

While I agree that a 17 year old David Archuleta (or more typical Mormons) would have had to come out of his comfort zone to deal with the different people and cultures he will come across on his mission, I doubt this will be the case for a 20 year old David. He has travelled the world the past 4 years and been exposed to many different people and cultures. He has had no difficulty adapting. His fans are also very diverse and in his interactions with them, he has always seemed very comfortable. In a way, I think that David will be exposed to less diversity on his mission than if he continued his world travels because he will be stuck in one small corner of the world. I am sure David will help the people he comes across on his mission. Anyone would be lucky to have David. However, I also think that the good that David could do as a "celebrity", be it doing a charity concert, promoting a cause, doing a PSA, or inspiring his fans to do good would outweigh by 1000x the good he could do as an anonymous missionary.

I am not criticizing David for his decision. He has done so much for his fans already that I think that nobody should criticize him for doing what he thinks is right for him. I will always be a fan.

This post has been edited by Upside: Dec 21st 2011, 8:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
jennyjin89
post Dec 21st 2011, 8:54 PM
Post #46

I'm not sure what to think. My heart hurts knowing that he'll be gone for two years, but I guess other people need him. I'm gonna miss him, and I can only hope that he will sing again when he comes back. crying.gif heart.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ToriIsAdorable12
post Dec 22nd 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #47

Fav. AI6: Jordin Sparks

I'm not Mormon, but I recently went to Russia on a short-term mission trip, and it was easily the most powerful and most rewarding experience of my life. It was a huge undertaking and definitely out of my comfort zone, but everything I put into that trip was returned to me a thousand times over. I am itching to go back and think about it every day! I am sure that David will have a similarly moving experience, and I am excited for him!

If he feels called to go, I think now is as good a time as any for him to do so. He parted ways with his label and management, and I think he was unsure of what direction he wanted to go in, career-wise. I know it's not about the money for David, but an unsuccessful album release can be expensive. An artist is ultimately responsible for the costs involved in making a record, and the album typically has to go gold (500k units) for them to even break even. I actually think it will be good for David to take a break and think about things without feeling pressured or making rash decisions. You have your whole life to make your first album but only a year or two to make the consecutive ones before people become impatient!

Sorry if that was weird and technical...I'm a music business major. bleh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
u26
post Dec 22nd 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #48

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
JohnA
post Dec 22nd 2011, 12:49 AM
Post #49

QUOTE(melissa23 @ Dec 21st 2011, 7:58 PM) *

The point of missions IS to bring more members to the church, I mean, seriously. Most religions do it one way or another, with the same goal (and the same pretty description "we're just sharing our religion, totally not trying to get people to join"). Including the one I was raised in.

--------------------
+Quote Post
HiyaArchie
post Dec 22nd 2011, 1:05 AM
Post #50

Fav. Dude: David Archuleta

QUOTE(alleygirl87 @ Dec 20th 2011, 9:42 PM) *

Think of it like this, he'll have better material to write in his next songs. Some people need a bad relationship to write good songs (like Adele). Perhaps David muse will be his spirituality/mission.

As long as it doesn't get preachy.

--------------------
Baa.
+Quote Post
minione
post Dec 22nd 2011, 1:31 AM
Post #51

QUOTE(u26 @ Dec 21st 2011, 10:37 PM) *

IPB Image

haha.gif So great! BTW I hope David comes back speaking some awesome foreign language! How cool would that be!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
somethingorother
post Dec 23rd 2011, 8:19 PM
Post #52

QUOTE(katharinekatkat @ Dec 21st 2011, 3:33 PM) *

Exactly, which is why I hate religion. If he was born into a muslim family, he would have been muslim. If he was born into a catholic family, he would have been catholic. The mission seems so "brain-washed" into his brain. thumbdown.gif If it's important to him, good for him, but I hope he realizes he affected millions of people with his voice and that will probably have more of an affect on people than his mission will. ermm.gif crying.gif

THANK YOU! Another sane person in this fandom.

To be honest, this decision makes me very upset and I've lost a lot of respect for him because of it. While I don't support anything having to to with the Mormons as an institution (plenty of research has given me insight that skeeves me out about it), I do support him trying to spread a positive message. Just not this way.

Giving up a chance for a very lucrative career where he could touch so many more people, for something that he seems so obviously forced into. It's a shame. It's a damn shame. Oh well. Been there, done that, wrote him a very angry fanmail. Washed my hands of it.

Whatever he puts out, even though his chance of making money off of it is pretty much down the toilet, I'll listen to. But if it's too religious or preachy or any of the like - I'm out.

--------------------
+Quote Post
HiyaArchie
post Dec 23rd 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #53

Fav. Dude: David Archuleta

ermm.gif I'm not angry at him. I'm not a religious person at all so I really don't understand where he's coming from. And I feel like this mission doesn't affect me much. It already feels like he's been gone for over a year so another two years is nothing. The only way I knew David was still alive was through Twitter and Facebook. But his tweets/Facebook posts have been so impersonal and boring that I just lost interest. I think I've grown up. When I first liked David, it was my freshman year in high school. Now I'm a freshman in college. He can do whatever he wants with his life but I've always been a fan mostly for the music.

--------------------
Baa.
+Quote Post
moose.
post Dec 24th 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #54

Fav. AI10: Stefano Langone
Fav. AI11: Heejun Han

QUOTE(somethingorother @ Dec 23rd 2011, 6:19 PM) *

THANK YOU! Another sane person in this fandom.

To be honest, this decision makes me very upset and I've lost a lot of respect for him because of it. While I don't support anything having to to with the Mormons as an institution (plenty of research has given me insight that skeeves me out about it), I do support him trying to spread a positive message. Just not this way.

Giving up a chance for a very lucrative career where he could touch so many more people, for something that he seems so obviously forced into. It's a shame. It's a damn shame. Oh well. Been there, done that, wrote him a very angry fanmail. Washed my hands of it.

Whatever he puts out, even though his chance of making money off of it is pretty much down the toilet, I'll listen to. But if it's too religious or preachy or any of the like - I'm out.

i dont get why youre upset. his music and his religion are two different things. maybe im missing something.

--------------------
IPB Image
rad set by kollin
+Quote Post
roare
post Dec 24th 2011, 1:22 AM
Post #55

I mean...I was a little disappointed at first. But it's his life. It's not our say on what he does. We don't own him. If he felt he needed to do this, then I support his decision. I have some issues with the Mormon religion and their way of doing things, but hey, it's not my place and it's none of my business. If this is important to him then I wish him well, and I'll still be around when he comes back.

--------------------
+Quote Post
JORDAN_FAN
post Dec 24th 2011, 2:42 PM
Post #56

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AJ:JordanMcCoy AI3:JohnStevens

I'm not mormon at all and have my disagreements with it as well, but one of my best friends is mormon and missions are something that are special for them. This is something that David has always talked about and has said feels drawn to do. While I agree that music is probably a really big mission, the actual missions they go on are a little different, so I am beginning to understand why he wants to do it. If it is this important to him, I don't feel like we can be angry with him or call him selfish. He doesn't owe it to anybody to miss this part of his life or keep putting out music. We have been privileged, imo, to have gotten so much music and so many different tours. I don't believe that this is the last we will hear of music from David; he loves it. It will just be a couple of years.

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Dec 24th 2011, 6:55 PM
Post #57

Rest In Peace Dad

Fav. AI12: Kree Harrison
Fav. AI13: Sam Woolf
Fav. Australian: Michael Johns

crying.gif

--------------------
REST IN PEACE x MICHAEL JOHNS x 10/20/78 - 08/01/14 / REST IN PEACE x SIMONE BATTLE x 06/17/89 - 09/05/14IPB ImageFOREVER IN MY HEART x I LOVE YOU ALWAYS x REST IN PEACE DAD x 3/22/69 - 7/11/12
+Quote Post
Drew
post Dec 24th 2011, 8:22 PM
Post #58

Fav. AI12: Angie Miller
Fav. XFUK: Ben Haenow

QUOTE(1234567890 @ Dec 24th 2011, 6:55 PM) *

crying.gif

huggy.gif crying.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
set: istersay || xfuk: ben. jake. lauren. jay. fleur. only the young. paul. jack. stereo kicks. lola.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
post Dec 24th 2011, 9:15 PM
Post #59

Rest In Peace Dad

Fav. AI12: Kree Harrison
Fav. AI13: Sam Woolf
Fav. Australian: Michael Johns

QUOTE(Drew @ Dec 24th 2011, 5:22 PM) *

huggy.gif crying.gif

I'm happy for him, but sad for myself. roll2.gif crying.gif

--------------------
REST IN PEACE x MICHAEL JOHNS x 10/20/78 - 08/01/14 / REST IN PEACE x SIMONE BATTLE x 06/17/89 - 09/05/14IPB ImageFOREVER IN MY HEART x I LOVE YOU ALWAYS x REST IN PEACE DAD x 3/22/69 - 7/11/12
+Quote Post
icedmocha
post Dec 25th 2011, 2:18 AM
Post #60

Religion ruins people. Seriously. I'm kind of annoyed, but whatever. So much for super stardom...

--------------------
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Oct 21st 2014, 10:17 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol