Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Danny may have been dropped from RCA
LuckyOtter
post Nov 7th 2011, 9:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI13: Caleb Johnson/Jena Irene

http://www.freak-search.com/en/thread/5987...y_rca_nashville

It's not official or anything but crying.gif

It's really, really hard for an Idol to do well for long after their season ends, even if they're the winner. Danny did great with his first album and had a couple of minor hits, so that's not bad at all, especially for someone who only finished third. He has a great voice and a lot of talent, and he's ambitious, so I'm sure he'll find another, BETTER label. Even if it's an indie label, he can still do great, and that might work better for him anyway.

This post has been edited by dcfreak: Nov 7th 2011, 10:25 PM

--------------------
Michael Johns 1978-2014 ~ R.I.P.
100 Finalists Ranked/Seasons 5-13 / LuckyOtter's Redos
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Nov 7th 2011, 9:47 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

daniela$
post Nov 8th 2011, 1:07 AM
Post #2

Fav. AI5: Chris Daughtry
Fav. AI12: Paul Jolley
Fav. AI8: KrisAllen,DannyGokey

Are you sure? sad.gif

It doesn't matter , he has an amazing voice and a lot of talent,he'll be more and more successful
And the most important thing is that we love him heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Avi by ♥flutterby♥/Sig by istersay
+Quote Post
LuckyOtter
post Nov 8th 2011, 6:59 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(daniela$ @ Nov 8th 2011, 1:07 AM) *

Are you sure? sad.gif

It doesn't matter , he has an amazing voice and a lot of talent,he'll be more and more successful
And the most important thing is that we love him heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

He's no longer listed in RCA Nashville's artist roster. That's always a bad sign. sad.gif

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/danny-gokeys-nex...bum-on-hold.htm

We'll find out soon I'm sure. Yep, we love him! heart.gif No matter what happens, I'm sure he'll do fine.
Sony's been doing a lot of rearranging and cutting of the idols since they're no longer an Idol label. I think the bad economy is a factor too. This makes me a little scared for Kris and David Cook too. ermm.gif I hope that doesn't happen, but I didn't expect Crystal and Danny to be dropped either (with Lee, I saw that coming unfortunately). I'm sure Adam is in no danger though.

On the bright side, he did say there WILL be a new song, and an album--he's just not sure when. So there's also a possibility he's just been switched to another Sony label or he already has another label. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

This post has been edited by dcfreak: Nov 8th 2011, 7:17 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
daniela$
post Nov 8th 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #4

Yeah Ididn't expect Crystal and now Danny too ermm.gif sad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
jstxanothrxstory
post Nov 9th 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #5

Fav. SYTYCD9: Witney Carson
Fav. SYTYCD10: Nico Greetham
Fav. SYTYCD11: Teddy Coffey

I thought his album did well? unsure.gif

Hopefully another label picks him up.

--------------------
I ♥ Andrew. ◄◄ Last.fm. Twitter. Lee-DeWyze.net. It Element 4.
IPB Image
S:SJDS: Jon. Reed. Jaclyn. Natalie. ◄◄ DWTS19: Janel/Val. Alfonso/Witney. Lea/Artem.
+Quote Post
daniela$
post Nov 9th 2011, 2:17 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(jstxanothrxstory @ Nov 9th 2011, 9:02 AM) *

He did well and I have no idea ermm.gif
yes.gif yeah another label picks him up original.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
LuckyOtter
post Nov 9th 2011, 6:09 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(jstxanothrxstory @ Nov 9th 2011, 10:02 AM) *

His album did do well, especially for a third placer--65K his first week. But Sony is having financial problems (along with everyone else these days except the banks LOL). They've been cutting back and a lot of the idols have recently been dropped or moved. (Danny may just have been moved--I hope!)

But he has had problems getting radio airplay--the gatekeepers and PDs won't give his singles a chance--and his new single didn't crack the Top 50. I certainly don't think his career is over by any means. His tours do very well, and his album did well. I think country listeners tend to be more album than single buyers anyway. He's not Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift or Keith Urban, and that's a good thing. I think he has a unique sort of sound that isn't all that commercial, and he might do well as an alt-country artist on an indie label, I think (f he doesn't choose to go into CCM, which many people feel he would do best at--but Danny hasn't shown interest in going CCM).

He's still going ahead with the charity cruise, and Gary LeVox from Rascal Flatts will be joining him, as well as other country artists.

Whatever happens, Danny won't let it get him down, because he always keeps such a positive attitude.

This post has been edited by dcfreak: Nov 9th 2011, 6:11 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
daniela$
post Nov 11th 2011, 7:32 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(dcfreak @ Nov 9th 2011, 5:09 PM) *

His album did do well, especially for a third placer--65K his first week. But Sony is having financial problems (along with everyone else these days except the banks LOL). They've been cutting back and a lot of the idols have recently been dropped or moved. (Danny may just have been moved--I hope!)

But he has had problems getting radio airplay--the gatekeepers and PDs won't give his singles a chance--and his new single didn't crack the Top 50. I certainly don't think his career is over by any means. His tours do very well, and his album did well. I think country listeners tend to be more album than single buyers anyway. He's not Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift or Keith Urban, and that's a good thing. I think he has a unique sort of sound that isn't all that commercial, and he might do well as an alt-country artist on an indie label, I think (f he doesn't choose to go into CCM, which many people feel he would do best at--but Danny hasn't shown interest in going CCM).

He's still going ahead with the charity cruise, and Gary LeVox from Rascal Flatts will be joining him, as well as other country artists.

Whatever happens, Danny won't let it get him down, because he always keeps such a positive attitude.

yes.gif thumbsup.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
bosman
post Nov 11th 2011, 3:03 PM
Post #9

Fav. X Factor UK 7: Matt Cardle

Well, I am sad with this turn of events, but cannot say that I am surprised because the country radio refused to play him.

Now with the prospect of him doing CCM, he will lose me but he will probably gain many more fans. Plus, the expectations there are far fewer and he will be doing what he intrinsically feels best.

My biggest worry for him was that he would not be signed post AI. But now, at least we will always have My Best Days.

My God, it was always so hard and complicated with Danny. Being his fan isn't easy, first given all the hate and later the detractors when the album came out. I am not complainin, just sayin.

If he wants to stay country, he needs to reinvent himself and take far less serious songs. The problem is, Danny is not about mindless drivel that many country songs are about. So if he wants to stay serious, the only serious road is, alas for me, CCM.

I will never forget his elimination. I feel that I will never be so moved by a television personality, as I was with his exit.

I have no doubt that he will continue to have a solid career as the performer and with his charity.

--------------------
Souls are like conscripted soldiers; those whom they recognize, they get along with, and those whom they do not recognize, they will not get along with.
+Quote Post
LuckyOtter
post Nov 11th 2011, 8:32 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(bosman @ Nov 11th 2011, 3:03 PM) *

Well, I am sad with this turn of events, but cannot say that I am surprised because the country radio refused to play him.

Now with the prospect of him doing CCM, he will lose me but he will probably gain many more fans. Plus, the expectations there are far fewer and he will be doing what he intrinsically feels best.

My biggest worry for him was that he would not be signed post AI. But now, at least we will always have My Best Days.

My God, it was always so hard and complicated with Danny. Being his fan isn't easy, first given all the hate and later the detractors when the album came out. I am not complainin, just sayin.

If he wants to stay country, he needs to reinvent himself and take far less serious songs. The problem is, Danny is not about mindless drivel that many country songs are about. So if he wants to stay serious, the only serious road is, alas for me, CCM.

I will never forget his elimination. I feel that I will never be so moved by a television personality, as I was with his exit.

I have no doubt that he will continue to have a solid career as the performer and with his charity.

Hey! w00twave.gif

I hear you. Being a Danny fan sure has not ever been easy, but let's look at the bright side:

-- He was the first third place finisher to be signed by 19 and Sony (well, maybe the second--Elliott should know if Nikki McKibbin was signed after the show).

-- He hasn't been dropped yet. It may all just be a rumor--he may have been moved. There's been no official announcement yet. It could be nothing.

-- He sold 65K his first week and had the best debut for a male country artist since 1992 (Billy Ray Cyrus)

-- He is appreciated and got good reviews for both his album and his tour performances by music critics from prestigious publications like Billboard, The Village Voice, and the New York Times. Sometimes that means more than huge sales.

-- He doesn't seem to ever let setbacks get him down and keeps plugging away. He approaches every setback as a potential positive.

-- He has toured with some VERY high profile acts and country stars: Sugarland, Tim McGraw, The Band Perry (who opened FOR him before they got huge), and Taylor Swift.

-- He's had high profile gigs for the AMA's and CMAs as interviewer and commentator

--Nomination for CMA Best New Artist for 2010

--His charity is doing very well.

--Has performed 10 or 11 times now at the Opry.

Bosman, I doubt Danny will go into CCM. He may be most commercially successful at that genre, but Danny hasn't expressed interest in going down that road, not yet anyway. I think he'll stay in country for now, but he's nontraditional and not commercial so getting airplay may alway be a problem for him. Even if he's never a huge superstar, but he'll be doing what he loves and able to make a good living doing it, and that's the important thing. He's happy, and we should be happy he's done far better than we ever expected. I'm proud of him.

--------------------
+Quote Post
kristie
post Nov 12th 2011, 3:22 AM
Post #11

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. AI 13: Jena Irene

if this is true, i think a label like big machine records(taylor swift's label) should sign him. i think they would do great with him.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
daniela$
post Nov 12th 2011, 2:47 PM
Post #12

yes.gif thumbsup.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
bosman
post Nov 13th 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #13

Fav. X Factor UK 7: Matt Cardle

Thanks dcfreak, I agree with your arguments.

QUOTE(kristie @ Nov 12th 2011, 9:22 AM) *

if this is true, i think a label like big machine records(taylor swift's label) should sign him. i think they would do great with him.

That would be incredible. Because really, we know that he can sing heart shattering ballads like no other, but I think his true element is something like Maria Maria that he did on tour. Those playful songs, where both vocals and fun can come to the fore.

Basically, he needs to Jason Derulo himself in country. He needs a huge, playful, fast country single.

Don't get me wrong, Second Hand Heart is amazing, but it was continuation of the same and probably a reason for taut radio gate keeping.

--------------------
Souls are like conscripted soldiers; those whom they recognize, they get along with, and those whom they do not recognize, they will not get along with.
+Quote Post
LuckyOtter
post Nov 13th 2011, 1:48 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(bosman @ Nov 13th 2011, 12:47 PM) *

Thanks dcfreak, I agree with your arguments.
That would be incredible. Because really, we know that he can sing heart shattering ballads like no other, but I think his true element is something like Maria Maria that he did on tour. Those playful songs, where both vocals and fun can come to the fore.

Basically, he needs to Jason Derulo himself in country. He needs a huge, playful, fast country single.

Don't get me wrong, Second Hand Heart is amazing, but it was continuation of the same and probably a reason for taut radio gate keeping.

I agree.

--------------------
+Quote Post
daniela$
post Nov 18th 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #15

'American Idol' Alum Danny Gokey Parts Ways With RCA Nashville (Exclusive)

Season 8's second runner-up (behind Kris Allen and Adam Lambert) is the latest show graduate to find himself without a major label deal.

American Idol season 8 finalist Danny Gokey is the latest show alum to find himself without a major label deal. A spokesperson for the country singer’s label confirms to the Hollywood Reporter that, "Danny Gokey and RCA Nashville have mutually agreed to part ways."

Gokey was signed to the Sony Music subsidiary in September 2009, months after coming in third behind Kris Allen and Adam Lambert. He released his debut album, My Best Days, in March 2010. It entered the Billboard 200 chart at No. 4 and the country chart at No. 3. According to Nielsen SoundScan, more than 192,000 copies of the album have been sold. The disc saw two singles released, “My Best Days Are Ahead of Me" and “I Will Not Say Goodbye," the latter which failed to chart.

Gokey has yet to address the RCA parting in an official capacity. Ever the optimist, on Nov. 11 the singer tweeted, “No matter what hits you in life, having a bad attitude only makes it worse!”

Read the full article:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/idol-wors...ny-gokey-263441

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
LuckyOtter
post Nov 18th 2011, 8:04 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(daniela$ @ Nov 18th 2011, 12:30 PM) *

'American Idol' Alum Danny Gokey Parts Ways With RCA Nashville (Exclusive)

Season 8's second runner-up (behind Kris Allen and Adam Lambert) is the latest show graduate to find himself without a major label deal.

American Idol season 8 finalist Danny Gokey is the latest show alum to find himself without a major label deal. A spokesperson for the country singer’s label confirms to the Hollywood Reporter that, "Danny Gokey and RCA Nashville have mutually agreed to part ways."

Gokey was signed to the Sony Music subsidiary in September 2009, months after coming in third behind Kris Allen and Adam Lambert. He released his debut album, My Best Days, in March 2010. It entered the Billboard 200 chart at No. 4 and the country chart at No. 3. According to Nielsen SoundScan, more than 192,000 copies of the album have been sold. The disc saw two singles released, “My Best Days Are Ahead of Me" and “I Will Not Say Goodbye," the latter which failed to chart.

Gokey has yet to address the RCA parting in an official capacity. Ever the optimist, on Nov. 11 the singer tweeted, “No matter what hits you in life, having a bad attitude only makes it worse!”

Read the full article:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/idol-wors...ny-gokey-263441

sad.gif
At least we were prepared for this. I'm sure something better will work out for Danny. RCA was never very good with promoting the idols they signed. Like Danny always says, when one door closes, another one opens. He'll be fine and he had a great opportunity. I'm sure he has no regrets.

--------------------
+Quote Post
daniela$
post Nov 19th 2011, 6:35 AM
Post #17

yes.gif We love him heart.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
LuckyOtter
post Nov 20th 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #18

I don't necessarily agree with this article from the Milwaukee Journal (about the reasons why Danny and RCA parted ways, or Danny not being right for country music), but here it is anyway. Make of it what you will.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/134130128.html

One of the commenters made the point that had the PDs not suddenly stopped playing I Will Not Say Goodbye after it climbed to #32 it would have been a monster hit by now. The excuse given by the radio deejays and PDs was that the song was "too sad" but country radio is full of sad songs and the comments on the Youtube video are almost all very positive. I think it has to do with politics--for whatever reason, PDs did not want the song climbing any higher than that, they saw the writing on the wall (that it was going to be huge) and abruptly snatched it off the airwaves to keep it from becoming the hit it would have become. I'm not sure why, but things like that happen in country music and radio all the time. If Danny was "not really a country artist" as some say, why does he keep being asked back to perform at the Opry?

I don't necessarily think RCA did wrong by Danny, but as with other idols signed by that label, I think they could have promoted him more and better than they did. David Cook is another one who has not been treated right by RCA, had the potential to be huge, but was not--I suspect he may be next on the chopping block. I did hear he is no longer under 19M and is being managed by Simon Fuller's company now. Of course his genre isn't that popular anymore, and he was only able to go platinum due to having won a very popular season with a better than average coronation song. After that things just kind of fizzled, but I digress.

Back to Danny--I try to keep a positive outlook, and I for one think Danny will be signed by another country label, maybe a smaller one, but one that will promote him the way he deserves. Since Taylor Swift seems to like Danny so much (and hand picked him as an opener for her tour) maybe she has some pull with her label, Big Machine Records and she can talk them into signing him. Who knows? Wouldn't that be great if that happened?

This post has been edited by dcfreak: Nov 20th 2011, 11:04 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
daniela$
post Nov 20th 2011, 1:53 PM
Post #19

I have no idea that if he should've chosen country or not (I'm not abig fan of country but I love Danny so much) believin' he will be successful as always.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Oct 31st 2014, 2:03 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol