Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

58 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jordin to be in Sparkle movie with Whitney Houston
jdanton2
post Feb 8th 2012, 5:56 PM
Post #301

Group: Members

Fav. AI3: LaToya London
Fav. AI4: Nadia Turner
Fav. S5Lisa Tucker S6:Jordin Sparks

QUOTE(jordinbsparks @ Feb 8th 2012, 5:23 PM) *

'Sparkle' changes revealed.

T.D. Jakes tells 'S2S' that 'Sparkle' won't be as gritty as the original
Don't expect a carbon copy of the original when Sparkle comes to theaters in August.

S2S found out from Bishop T.D. Jakes, one of the film's producers, that the update has undergone some changes from the original. Mainly, it won't be as hardcore as the original.

"If you remember the original Sparkle, there was a lot of drugs and domestic violence and all of that kind of stuff," T.D. told S2S. "There's still some, but it's not nearly as much. Yet I think its a riveting depiction of a movie that we all loved and adored."

Viewers looking forward to the film shouldn't be scared away from concerns of a complete overhaul. T.D. said he feels that Sparkle writer Mara Brock Akil did a great job of sticking to the original material while updating it for new audiences.

"I think it will be Sparkle, but it has a new form to it. It has less gratuitous violence and profanity, yet we delivered a very strong story," T.D. assured.

As producer, the bishop, who was also behind the 2011 hit Jumping the Broom, was always on set to ensure the integrity of the film.

"We were on the set every day looking at the script, working on the script," T.D. said. "For me it was really fun to be there and just to work with the caliber of actors [we had]."

This incarnation of Sparkle sees much of the creative team from Jumping the Broom reuniting as Mara's husband Salim Akil directed the new film. Overall, T.D. feels that fans of the original will truly enjoy the remake, which will still be set in the '60s, as the project is in very capable hands.

"I think it's going to be great," he said. "I'm really excited about it. I think people are going to love it."

http://www.s2smagazine.com/stories/2012/02...hanges-revealed

i'm sorry but what is he talking about... "there was a lot of drugs and domestic violence",i've seen the movie and i must say it wasn't that big of a deal, i mean for a movie.also people say 'sparkle' is a classic,no it's not
i don't think the movie was that good so i can only hope that the new one would be great.

nice article though i agree the original was not that violent but the new one will have less of it. in terms of the original being a classic when you consider it was released with a very low budget in 1976 and did very little at the time . however later on when it got released on DVD and got shown over time on cable it built a whole new audience and it is probably better known now than it was when it was originally released. for me the story line in the original could have been better and it was sometimes hard to follow . but the best part was the music and it was all really good. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
Favorite Season 7 Syesha Mercado-Season 8 Anoop Desai- Season 9 Siobhan Magnus-Season 10 Pia Toscano-Season 11 Jessica Sanchez-Season 12 Candice Glover-Season 13 Malaya Watson

X Factor Season 1 Melanie Amaro- Season 2 Fifth Harmony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Feb 8th 2012, 5:56 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

jdanton2
post Feb 9th 2012, 4:54 AM
Post #302

some comments from someone at Classic Whitney from someone who has supposedly seen the script.

http://classicwhitney.yuku.com/topic/9763/...74#.TzOW2vkwKSo

possible mild spoilers)

ok guys, it's hard to kind of describe what "water down" might mean without spoiling the movie for everyone. Like I said many times, just because things happen in the first movie it doesn't mean that they will happen in the remake. The basics are still there, and yes Sister does develop a drug problem, but there are also a lot of different stuff.

An example I could give you is that if they remake for example The Bodyguard, they could make the bad guy who wants to kill Rachel be for example be her ex-boyfriend, and who knows maybe the bodyguard will save Rachel and kill the bad guy but also die while doing it, and maybe Rachel isn't even a singer but just a celebrity who's an actress, etc. So the idea would still be the same, but the movie very different.

I'm not saying that the remake of Sparkle is totally different, but things like Effie being a former r&b singer and Satin being a comedian (with a bad reputation, think Bobby Brown), already gives you a clue that things are different. The family is not even poor, they have a nice house. Also Sparkle is 19 yrs old in this one and she writes her songs and plays the piano, which was not in the first movie. And the church stuff are also more present. And some events that happened in the first, happen differently here, but IMO still great and still keeps the essence of the movie. I cannot wait, I think the new script is way superior then the original.

--------------------
Favorite Season 7 Syesha Mercado-Season 8 Anoop Desai- Season 9 Siobhan Magnus-Season 10 Pia Toscano-Season 11 Jessica Sanchez-Season 12 Candice Glover-Season 13 Malaya Watson

+Quote Post
jdanton2
post Feb 9th 2012, 3:41 PM
Post #303

article in Essence. thumbsup.gif

http://www.essence.com/2012/02/08/whitney-.../#ixzz1luw1lFKl

Thursday, February 09, 2012 | 2:30 PM
Exclusive: Whitney Houston and Jordin Sparks on Working Together on 'Sparkle'
By Vanessa Bush
Exclusive: Whitney Houston and Jordin Sparks on Working Together on 'Sparkle'
There’s a handful of movies considered required-viewing to maintain one’s cultural cred: Do the Right Thing, Shaft, Boomerang, The Color Purple. But tell someone you haven’t seen Sparkle, the 1976 ode to doo-wop starring Irene Cara and Philip Michael Thomas, and you might as well hand over your “Black card.” Luckily, the remake of Sparkle arrives in theaters next August.

After 16 years, music powerhouse Whitney Houston returns to the big screen with a dual role in Sparkle: both co-producer and star. Houston’s take on Effie, the downtrodden, single mother to a trio of singing sisters, gets some 21st century tweaking. “This mother’s kind of fly,” says Houston from the Detroit set. But the remake has been bittersweet for her and co-producer Debra Martin Chase (the duo first partnered up for 1996’s The Preacher’s Wife).

Eleven years ago, they were in talks to adapt their favorite childhood film with rising R&B star Aaliyah, but, says Houston, “God needed her more.” After Aaliyah was killed in a plane crash in August 2001, Houston and Chase shelved the project. “We were so, so saddened by it,” recalls Houston. “And then 10 years later, to the date, Debra calls me and said, ‘Whitney, you won’t believe this but they want Sparkle.’”

This time around, they enlisted a new class of Hollywood actors. American Idol winner Jordin Sparks takes top billing as Sparkle. Mike Epps makes a surprising -- and convincing -- turn as street hustler Stix. The rest of the cast includes Derek Luke, Tika Sumpter, Omari Hardwick and Carmen Ejogo. “Everybody is so great,” says Houston of her superb cast. When asked about how well Ejogo is portraying the drug-addled Sister, both Houston and Chase break with the niceties and turn effusive. “Let’s stop there,” says Houston, waving her arm to punctuate her praise. “Carmen’s wearing Sister out!”

And what do Houston’s on-set daughters think of working with her?

Jordin Sparks can hardly contain her giddiness about starring opposite one of her icons. “Whitney’s very motherly, very nurturing, very sweet. It’s been so much fun being around her,” says Sparks, minutes before the day’s rehearsal. “I think it’s actually a relationship that will last after this movie is over.” Houston agrees: “Oh, they are my babies. There’s lots of good love from the set, really it is.” Much like our love of Sparkle

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr.JordinSparks
post Feb 10th 2012, 3:23 AM
Post #304

Fav. AI6: Jordin Sparks
Fav. AI11: Jessica Sanchez
Fav. X Factor: Little Mix

One of the things that surprised me the most about the original was how dark it was with the involvement of drugs and domestic abuse. I was looking froward to seeing Jordin in that kind of a serious setting. I just hope that the remake isn't a happy-go-lucky typical music.

Sidenote, Tristan Wilds would have been a good and much more age appropriate pick for Sparkle's love interest.

--------------------
+Quote Post
jordinbsparks
post Feb 10th 2012, 8:09 PM
Post #305

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZIAU-XPVHI

--------------------
+Quote Post
jdanton2
post Feb 11th 2012, 8:09 PM
Post #306

not sure if this is true but Whitney might have died. shocked.gif unsure.gif sad.gif i wonder what effect this will have on the movie being released. unsure.gif

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/s...ston/53053070/1

Whitney Houston, superstar of records, films, dies
Updated 5m ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) – Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, has died. She was 48.

Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unclear.

At her peak in the 1980s and '90s, Houston the golden girl of the music industry and one of the world's best-selling artists.

Among her hits were "How Will I Know," "Saving All My Love for You" and "I Will Always Love You." She won multiple Grammys including album and record of the year.

Her success carried her beyond music to movies like "The Bodyguard."

But by the end of her career, drug use took its toll as her record sales plummeted and her voice became raspy and hoarse.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This post has been edited by jdanton2: Feb 11th 2012, 8:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpeezyBlaker_Grl
post Feb 11th 2012, 8:11 PM
Post #307

Group: Blend Artists

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. AI8: Adam Lambert
Fav. AI9: Lee DeWyze

QUOTE(jdanton2 @ Feb 11th 2012, 7:09 PM) *

not sure if this is true but Whitney might have died. shocked.gif unsure.gif sad.gif i wonder what effect this will have on the movie being released. unsure.gif

Unfortunately, it is true. It's breaking news just about everywhere (including a few breaking news segments on TV) and it's been confirmed by Whitney's publicist.

--------------------
IPB Image
♥ Thank you tamyra4me1! ♥
+Quote Post
jdanton2
post Feb 11th 2012, 8:15 PM
Post #308

QUOTE(SpeezyBlaker_Grl @ Feb 11th 2012, 8:11 PM) *

Unfortunately, it is true. It's breaking news just about everywhere (including a few breaking news segments on TV) and it's been confirmed by Whitney's publicist.

i have seen it posted alot of places as well . i had thought Whitney had gotten her act together recently with all the work she put into this movie . so very sad that a legend is gone . sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mijumaru
post Feb 11th 2012, 8:21 PM
Post #309

CANT BE TRUE
http://music.yahoo.com/news/whitney-housto...-005927033.html
sad.gif Moment Of Silence

This post has been edited by Mijumaru: Feb 11th 2012, 8:31 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
muttiwhc
post Feb 11th 2012, 8:39 PM
Post #310

they have been talking about sparkle on CNN for the last couple of minutes. what does this mean for the movie? i know this is horrible, but this may make the movie a lot more popular

--------------------
+Quote Post
jdanton2
post Feb 11th 2012, 8:48 PM
Post #311

QUOTE(muttiwhc @ Feb 11th 2012, 8:39 PM) *

they have been talking about sparkle on CNN for the last couple of minutes. what does this mean for the movie? i know this is horrible, but this may make the movie a lot more popular

it was the last thing Whitney did though there was talk about making a remake of Waiting to Exhale and releasing another album later this year.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cj688
post Feb 11th 2012, 8:53 PM
Post #312

OMG!!! I can't believe it! My sis just called me while I was driving and told me she died. I just can't believe it sad.gif. My condolences to her family, especially to her daughter. She's so young to be motherless.

--------------------
+Quote Post
muttiwhc
post Feb 11th 2012, 8:54 PM
Post #313

sparkle was just trending....

--------------------
+Quote Post
<3J.SPARKS<3
post Feb 11th 2012, 9:09 PM
Post #314

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AI13: Jessica Meuse

but is whitney done filming for her parts in sparkle?

--------------------

Before you echo "Amen" in your home or place of worship, think and remember. A child is listening.
This ticket is not for me. ☮
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jdanton2
post Feb 11th 2012, 9:12 PM
Post #315

QUOTE(heart.gifJ.SPARKS<3 @ Feb 11th 2012, 9:09 PM) *

they finished that back in November though Whitney had recently recorded some news songs . not sure if for the soundtrack or her upcoming album.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mygecko18
post Feb 11th 2012, 9:45 PM
Post #316

i was in shock and am still trembling from when i heard the news it is such a tragedy i cannot believe this many prayers to her and her family. geez i hope our girl jordin is alright it must be really difficult for her especially just getting off of filming Sparkle and she refered to her as a second mom......so sad sad.gif

--------------------
twitter.com/1danielblack

myspace.com/danielblackofficial
+Quote Post
<3J.SPARKS<3
post Feb 11th 2012, 10:53 PM
Post #317

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AI13: Jessica Meuse

QUOTE(jdanton2 @ Feb 11th 2012, 7:12 PM) *

heart.gifJ.SPARKS<3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(heart.gifJ.SPARKS<3 @ Feb 11th 2012, 9:09 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
they finished that back in November though Whitney had recently recorded some news songs . not sure if for the soundtrack or her upcoming album.

aw this is sad but at least they wouldn't have to find a substitute for her.

--------------------

Before you echo "Amen" in your home or place of worship, think and remember. A child is listening.
This ticket is not for me. ☮
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jdanton2
post Feb 11th 2012, 11:17 PM
Post #318

a mention of the movie and a duet with Jordin and Whitney.

http://www.billboard.com/news/exclusive-wh...006168952.story

Exclusive: Whitney Houston's Last Songs to Be Featured in 'Sparkle' Film

by Phil Gallo, L.A. | February 11, 2012 11:10 EST

Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48.
Whitney Houston Honored on Twitter by Artists, Executives

As news of Whitney Houston's death spread on Saturday night, Twitter quickly filled with tributes from artists and executives who knew, worked with and admired her.

The late Whitney Houston's legacy on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart is legendary.

The last songs Whitney Houston recorded will be heard in the film "Sparkle," one on camera and the other during the closing credits.

Houston sings the gospel classic "Eyes on the Sparrow" in the film and duets with Jordin Sparks, the film's star, on a new R. Kelly song, "Celebrate" over the end credits. The film is in post-production and on schedule; Sony Pictures has it scheduled for release in early August. RCA will release the soundtrack.

Houston recently finished her recording of "Celebrate." Sony executives were pleased with both the way Houston looks and sounds in the film, according to a person familiar with the production.

"Sparkle" is a remake of the 1976 Irene Cara film.The picture was to be an acting comeback for the singer, who had not appeared in a theatrical release since "The Preacher's Wife" in 1996.

Houston was also one of five executive producers on the movie, having acquired remake rights in close to 12 years ago. Her original plan was to have Aaliyah star as Sparkle, until the singer died in a plane crash in August 2001.

"Sparkle" is the fictional story of three singing sisters in 1950s Harlem. One of the singers spirals in to drug addiction that leads to her death.

Sparks is the film's star, Sparkle Williams; Houston plays the sisters' mother. Cee Lo Green is also in the film.

In her film career - "Sparkle" would have been her fourth appearance on the big screen -- Houston stayed close to home with her roles, portraying a pop star in 1992's "The Bodyguard," a TV producer in 1995's "Waiting to Exhale" and a choir mistress in 1996's "The Preacher's Wife."

On Saturday, Sony Pictures released a statement that read "Like all those who knew and loved her, we are shocked and saddened and the world has lost an incomparable talent. Right now our thoughts are with her daughter, her family and her friends."

This post has been edited by jdanton2: Feb 11th 2012, 11:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr.JordinSparks
post Feb 11th 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #319

Fav. AI11: Jessica Sanchez
Fav. X Factor: Little Mix

I never ever expected this. I kept picturing Jordin & Whitney out on the promo trail promoting the movie and now it won't happen. sad.gif

I'm looking forward to Sparkle now more than ever. May Whitney rest in peace.

--------------------
+Quote Post
tcwave
post Feb 12th 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #320

Fav. AI6: Melinda Doolittle
Fav. Kimberley Locke

QUOTE(Mr.JordinSparks @ Feb 11th 2012, 11:32 PM) *

I never ever expected this. I kept picturing Jordin & Whitney out on the promo trail promoting the movie and now it won't happen. sad.gif

I'm looking forward to Sparkle now more than ever. May Whitney rest in peace.

Please don't make me cry!! I grew up listening to her music!!! She was the voice of MY generation, and others after mine!!!!

--------------------
Keeper of Kim Locke's Dangerous Curves!!!

+Quote Post

58 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Oct 22nd 2014, 10:27 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol