Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

> Home of the "This and That" news/info/etc.
madamimadam
post Jul 23rd 2011, 4:23 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Neurox Media Moderators

Hi guys!

I saw that a mod moved/closed the Amy Winehouse thread. Mods will not allow 'off topic' threads to remain open.

Soooooooooooooo... with that in mind, I thought I would open this 'catch all' thread where anything and everything goes.

Of course, it's always all about Adam... Always make sure that you tie in any news/info you bring in to Adam, even if it's just a quick reference to his glambulge...

innocent.gif

--------------------
"It is what it is!"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Silvia
post Jul 24th 2011, 2:14 PM
Post #2

Group: Members

Fav. Steven Tyler

Margaret Cho about Amy - Really beautiful wub.gif

R.I.P. Amy Winehouse July 23rd, 2011

I am sad to hear about Amy Winehouse. It's really awful. I didn't know her, but I loved her music, and her incredible voice, and although she was very young, her eyes looked out from an ancient soul. That deep, rich well of sadness where she drew her startling contralto from, the dark depths of her humor and tragedy " seemed like it had been around for centuries. I hope she comes back around again, in another form " a happier one. We will all be gone by then, but our children will have another stunning idol, and they will bask in her glory. And this time, she will win and win and win and win. She deserves that.

Whenever I saw her latest disaster unfold in the tabloids or on blogs, I wanted to wrap my arms around her. I felt sad for her because I've lived that " not in such a grand or public way, but I have had my share of drug and alcohol rages, nights I couldn't believe I awoke from. I've been alone in hotel rooms with all my demons present and not a friend among them. It's something I could see in her, and when I saw her there, crying in her elegantly cascading beehive hairdo and slightly too big but still expensive ballet flats, rare vintage beaded cardigan daintily perched on her birdlike shoulders, I saw myself ever clearer. I've got those red jeans, even though they might be 12 sizes larger. I've walked a mile in your flats girl. I never put drugs in my hair, only because I have never worn it up, but that was a good idea. I always thought that.

I've actually been weeping about her on and off all day, grieving for her and her family and friends and fans and for myself and what drugs have given and taken from me. I guess I always had luck on my side. I always managed to get up and keep going. I didn't want to go to rehab either. We are all just trying to make it after all. I thought that there was more time for Amy Winehouse though. I thought that her little tiny body with the great big voice had countless comebacks left. She seemed so tough and strong, bigger than life. Maybe it was the booming power of her pipes, the resonant chambers of her lovely Modigliani face bringing forth a sound that singers like me long for in the studio and onstage. It comes along once in a generation, if we are lucky I suppose. And we were lucky to have her as long as we did. Wherever we go when we die, I hope she is happy there. I hope that she is entertaining the dead with the magic she brought to us in her life. I hope that she can breathe free with a sigh of relief that her suffering has now come to an end.

I send all my love to her family and friends and many many fans worldwide. What a life she had. Extraordinary and brief " all too brief. Perhaps God is selfish and just wants the truly exceptional creatures he has made all to himself, so he bestows his finest gifts to those he knows will not spend too long on earth. Maybe he just wanted Amy Winehouse to serenade him in the big rehab up in the sky. Wherever she is, she will be missed.

This post has been edited by Silvia: Jul 24th 2011, 2:56 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
bebeg
post Jul 24th 2011, 2:47 PM
Post #3

Group: Members

QUOTE(Silvia @ Jul 24th 2011, 3:14 PM) *

Russell Brand's about Amy - Really beautiful wub.gif

That's not Russell's tribute -- that is from Margaret Cho. From her webpage --

http://www.margaretcho.com/content/2011/07...-amy-winehouse/

This is Russell's...
I can't get his blog to open right now. He posted it this morning. But, TMZ posted the entire blog.
http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/24/amy-winehous...ell-brand-blog/

For Amy

When you love someone who suffers from the disease of addiction you await the phone call. There will be a phone call. The sincere hope is that the call will be from the addict themselves, telling you they’ve had enough, that they’re ready to stop, ready to try something new. Of course though, you fear the other call, the sad nocturnal chime from a friend or relative telling you it’s too late, she’s gone.

Frustratingly it’s not a call you can ever make it must be received. It is impossible to intervene.

I’ve known Amy Winehouse for years. When I first met her around Camden she was just some twit in a pink satin jacket shuffling round bars with mutual friends, most of whom were in cool Indie bands or peripheral Camden figures Withnail-ing their way through life on impotent charisma. Carl Barrat told me that “Winehouse” (which I usually called her and got a kick out of cos it’s kind of funny to call a girl by her surname) was a jazz singer, which struck me as a bizarrely anomalous in that crowd. To me with my limited musical knowledge this information placed Amy beyond an invisible boundary of relevance; “Jazz singer? She must be some kind of eccentric” I thought. I chatted to her anyway though, she was after all, a girl, and she was sweet and peculiar but most of all vulnerable.

I was myself at that time barely out of rehab and was thirstily seeking less complicated women so I barely reflected on the now glaringly obvious fact that Winehouse and I shared an affliction, the disease of addiction. All addicts, regardless of the substance or their social status share a consistent and obvious symptom; they’re not quite present when you talk to them. They communicate to you through a barely discernible but un-ignorable veil. Whether a homeless smack head troubling you for 50p for a cup of tea or a coked-up, pinstriped exec foaming off about his “speedboat” there is a toxic aura that prevents connection. They have about them the air of elsewhere, that they’re looking through you to somewhere else they’d rather be. And of course they are. The priority of any addict is to anaesthetise the pain of living to ease the passage of the day with some purchased relief.

From time to time I’d bump into Amy she had good banter so we could chat a bit and have a laugh, she was “a character” but that world was riddled with half cut, doped up chancers, I was one of them, even in early recovery I was kept afloat only by clinging to the bodies of strangers so Winehouse, but for her gentle quirks didn’t especially register.

Then she became massively famous and I was pleased to see her acknowledged but mostly baffled because I’d not experienced her work and this not being the 1950’s I wondered how a “jazz singer” had achieved such cultural prominence. I wasn’t curious enough to do anything so extreme as listen to her music or go to one of her gigs, I was becoming famous myself at the time and that was an all consuming experience. It was only by chance that I attended a Paul Weller gig at the Roundhouse that I ever saw her live.

I arrived late and as I made my way to the audience through the plastic smiles and plastic cups I heard the rolling, wondrous resonance of a female vocal. Entering the space I saw Amy on stage with Weller and his band; and then the awe. The awe that envelops when witnessing a genius. From her oddly dainty presence that voice, a voice that seemed not to come from her but from somewhere beyond even Billie and Ella, from the font of all greatness. A voice that was filled with such power and pain that it was at once entirely human yet laced with the divine. My ears, my mouth, my heart and mind all instantly opened. Winehouse. Winehouse? Winehouse! That twerp, all eyeliner and lager dithering up Chalk Farm Road under a back-combed barnet, the lips that I’d only seen clenching a fishwife fruit and dribbling curses now a portal for this holy sound. So now I knew. She wasn’t just some hapless wannabe, yet another pissed up nit who was never gonna make it, nor was she even a ten-a-penny-chanteuse enjoying her fifteen minutes. She was a freaking genius.

Shallow fool that I am I now regarded her in a different light, the light that blazed down from heaven when she sang. That lit her up now and a new phase in our friendship began. She came on a few of my TV and radio shows, I still saw her about but now attended to her with a little more interest. Publicly though, Amy increasingly became defined by her addiction. Our media though is more interested in tragedy than talent, so the ink began to defect from praising her gift to chronicling her downfall. The destructive personal relationships, the blood soaked ballet slippers, the aborted shows, that youtube madness with the baby mice. In the public perception this ephemeral tittle-tattle replaced her timeless talent. This and her manner in our occasional meetings brought home to me the severity of her condition. Addiction is a serious disease; it will end with jail, mental institutions or death. I was 27 years old when through the friendship and help of Chip Somers of the treatment centre, Focus12 I found recovery, through Focus I was introduced to support fellowships for alcoholics and drug addicts which are very easy to find and open to anybody with a desire to stop drinking and without which I would not be alive.

Now Amy Winehouse is dead, like many others whose unnecessary deaths have been retrospectively romanticised, at 27 years old. Whether this tragedy was preventable or not is now irrelevant. It is not preventable today. We have lost a beautiful and talented woman to this disease. Not all addicts have Amy’s incredible talent. Or Kurt’s or Jimi’s or Janis’s, some people just get the affliction. All we can do is adapt the way we view this condition, not as a crime or a romantic affectation but as a disease that will kill. We need to review the way society treats addicts, not as criminals but as sick people in need of care. We need to look at the way our government funds rehabilitation. It is cheaper to rehabilitate an addict than to send them to prison, so criminalisation doesn’t even make economic sense. Not all of us know someone with the incredible talent that Amy had but we all know drunks and junkies and they all need help and the help is out there. All they have to do is pick up the phone and make the call. Or not. Either way, there will be a phone call.

--------------------
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
madamimadam   Home of the "This and That" news/info/etc.   Jul 23rd 2011, 4:23 PM
Silvia   Hi guys! I saw that a mod moved/closed the A...   Jul 23rd 2011, 5:11 PM
madamimadam   ILU :hug: I was pissed off about it. First, I l...   Jul 23rd 2011, 5:23 PM
Love2Lurk   You know how very 'unaware' I am about mu...   Jul 23rd 2011, 6:03 PM
bebeg   This is a great idea. There are things happening ...   Jul 23rd 2011, 5:23 PM
madamimadam   This is a great idea. There are things happening...   Jul 23rd 2011, 5:33 PM
Love2Lurk   Yes, both stories today are very tragic and involv...   Jul 23rd 2011, 5:49 PM
Doriangrey   This is a great idea. There are things happening...   Jul 23rd 2011, 6:17 PM
madamimadam   Adam is half Norwegian, it is probably his bottom...   Jul 23rd 2011, 6:22 PM
Love2Lurk   Adam is half Norwegian, it is probably his bottom...   Jul 23rd 2011, 6:24 PM
SilverThornLove   Has Adam ever mentioned Amy before? I feel like he...   Jul 23rd 2011, 7:40 PM
madamimadam   Has Adam ever mentioned Amy before? I feel like h...   Jul 23rd 2011, 7:44 PM
Adamized   RIP Amy Winehouse. Such a troubled soul, but so...   Jul 23rd 2011, 8:01 PM
MicheleDE   Adam is half Norwegian, it is probably his bo...   Jul 23rd 2011, 8:20 PM
ohiogal   Was the Amy Winehouse thread moved to somewhere el...   Jul 23rd 2011, 9:48 PM
madamimadam   Was the Amy Winehouse thread moved to somewhere e...   Jul 23rd 2011, 9:52 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   It somehow got shut down completely. Usually whe...   Jul 23rd 2011, 9:57 PM
swflaboy   God bless Amy! She was fresh and unique. She w...   Jul 23rd 2011, 10:04 PM
stardust1213   You know how very 'unaware' I am about mu...   Jul 23rd 2011, 10:16 PM
swflaboy   On world news tonight they mentioned that Amy...   Jul 23rd 2011, 10:20 PM
madamimadam   I hear you. :hug: But I think Adam has a hand...   Jul 23rd 2011, 10:33 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   I know! I find it amazing how my thoughts on...   Jul 23rd 2011, 10:35 PM
swflaboy   I know! I find it amazing how my thoughts on...   Jul 23rd 2011, 10:37 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   God bless Adam! He's got it going on...   Jul 23rd 2011, 10:42 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   On world news tonight they mentioned that Amy...   Jul 23rd 2011, 10:32 PM
ssuussaann   I wonder why Amy's dad didn't have her com...   Jul 23rd 2011, 11:51 PM
bebeg   I know! I find it amazing how my thoughts on...   Jul 24th 2011, 7:51 AM
♥JM♥   [start of criticism]I see the mod killed Amy Wineh...   Jul 24th 2011, 8:02 AM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   [start of criticism]I see the mod killed Amy Wine...   Jul 24th 2011, 11:11 AM
Silvia   Adam has always had a good head on his shoulders a...   Jul 24th 2011, 8:28 AM
Love2Lurk   Adam has always had a good head on his shoulders ...   Jul 24th 2011, 9:59 AM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   Here's a link to the article that I mentioned ...   Jul 24th 2011, 11:34 AM
Silvia   Margaret Cho about Amy - Really beautiful :wub:   Jul 24th 2011, 2:14 PM
bebeg   Russell Brand's about Amy - Really beautiful ...   Jul 24th 2011, 2:47 PM
aquariusfin   Beautifully said <3 So sad :(   Jul 24th 2011, 2:33 PM
Doriangrey   Many people are shattered by the death of their ch...   Jul 24th 2011, 3:05 PM
Silvia   Tnx bebe. :hug: Fixed it. Love both eulogies. A...   Jul 24th 2011, 3:06 PM
stardust1213   That's not Russell's tribute -- that is f...   Jul 24th 2011, 7:02 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   I have to say..... thanks to Adam, I have a deepe...   Jul 24th 2011, 7:43 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   Her family went to visit her home yesterday. Sad. ...   Jul 25th 2011, 7:25 AM
Silvia   With Adam we were there. We were there from the fi...   Jul 25th 2011, 7:36 AM
Adam_Fan_Forever   With Adam we were there. We were there from the f...   Jul 25th 2011, 8:04 AM
Love2Lurk   With Adam we were there. We were there from the f...   Jul 25th 2011, 8:16 AM
loveroftalent   With Adam we were there. We were there from the f...   Jul 26th 2011, 7:13 AM
Silvia   yes, I think that is why it's so easy to get ...   Jul 25th 2011, 8:25 AM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   It's not only that. It's the fact that wi...   Jul 25th 2011, 2:50 PM
Adam_Fan_Forever   It is amazing .....We have all taken this jouney ...   Jul 25th 2011, 8:43 AM
Silvia   Heartbreaking!!! Less than 10 yrs ago ...   Jul 25th 2011, 10:47 AM
glamberts   Heartbreaking!!! Less than 10 yrs ago...   Jul 25th 2011, 11:00 AM
nocturnal   Heartbreaking!!! Less than 10 yrs ago...   Jul 25th 2011, 11:28 AM
stardust1213   It is amazing .....We have all taken this jouney ...   Jul 25th 2011, 11:45 PM
Silvia   Great Post Silvia. Tnx :thumbs: It's an inc...   Jul 26th 2011, 7:50 AM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   Tnx :thumbs: It's an incredible experience. :...   Jul 26th 2011, 11:20 AM
ssuussaann   It definitely is, and I think we sometimes forget ...   Jul 26th 2011, 11:30 AM
Doriangrey   Is it true that MAC chose Rickey Martin as one of ...   Jul 26th 2011, 4:59 PM
sealuv   Silvia...madam needs you badly in the BTM thread...   Jul 26th 2011, 5:08 PM
jnmk   Is it true that MAC chose Rickey Martin as one of...   Jul 26th 2011, 7:37 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   i'm hoping he'll get a high profile fashi...   Jul 26th 2011, 8:43 PM
Silvia   It definitely is, and I think we sometimes forget...   Jul 26th 2011, 5:12 PM
bebeg   Is it true that MAC chose Rickey Martin as one of...   Jul 26th 2011, 6:25 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   Wait, what? Ricky Martin got the MAC ad campaign?...   Jul 26th 2011, 6:42 PM
Doriangrey   There is a rumor that he might be on Project runwa...   Jul 27th 2011, 12:17 AM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   There is a rumor that he might be on Project runw...   Jul 27th 2011, 12:19 AM
madamimadam   RIP Amy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L9-A...   Jul 27th 2011, 3:24 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   Damn, that woman could sing her face off. :'( ...   Jul 27th 2011, 5:57 PM
ssuussaann   And it's so dam sad that there just won't ...   Jul 28th 2011, 6:51 AM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   And it's so dam sad that there just won't...   Jul 28th 2011, 10:44 AM
Silvia   The Amy hype was always justified. Incredible voic...   Jul 28th 2011, 7:18 AM
Adamized   Back to Black is an excellant cd. She could have ...   Jul 28th 2011, 7:37 AM
Silvia   Beautiful :wub: This is what having soul means. W...   Jul 28th 2011, 9:48 AM
madamimadam   Beautiful :wub: This is what having soul means. ...   Jul 28th 2011, 1:26 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   Beautiful :wub: This is what having soul means. ...   Jul 28th 2011, 9:09 PM
Silvia   That brought tears to my eyes. Yup, brings tear...   Jul 29th 2011, 12:16 PM
ssuussaann   Hmm, interesting! It's a little eerie tho...   Jul 28th 2011, 11:31 AM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   Hmm, interesting! It's a little eerie th...   Jul 28th 2011, 12:40 PM
bebeg   Hmm, interesting! It's a little eerie th...   Jul 28th 2011, 12:48 PM
Silvia   And in our Born this Way clip of the day. :haha: ...   Jul 28th 2011, 12:25 PM
Silvia   From what I read, Amy had an almost full album com...   Jul 28th 2011, 1:07 PM
Silvia   Michael K is one of my favorite peeps in the world...   Jul 28th 2011, 1:50 PM
aquariusfin   And in our Born this Way clip of the day. :haha: ...   Jul 28th 2011, 2:42 PM
Silvia   I don't usually care for these kid videos, bu...   Jul 28th 2011, 2:52 PM
Love2Lurk   Did you ever see the twin babies arguing in gibbe...   Jul 28th 2011, 4:24 PM
aquariusfin   Did you ever see the twin babies arguing in gibbe...   Jul 28th 2011, 3:35 PM
Silvia   Yeah, that's what I mean by "normal...   Jul 28th 2011, 3:54 PM
stardust1213   nvm   Jul 29th 2011, 11:52 AM
sunrise123   I know this is our HAPPY SHINEY DAY - but just w...   Jul 29th 2011, 7:00 PM
SilverThornLove   I know this is our HAPPY SHINEY DAY - but just ...   Jul 29th 2011, 7:01 PM
sunrise123   http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h379/RJBSCDBL...   Jul 29th 2011, 7:23 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   Beautiful.   Jul 31st 2011, 1:04 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   I FINALLY got Amy's CD. WOW. How was I not a f...   Aug 2nd 2011, 12:12 AM
barb4Adam   Write in @adamlambert @y100miami's Jingle Ball...   Aug 8th 2011, 12:24 PM
madamimadam   Unbelievable what is happening in London! To ...   Aug 8th 2011, 4:32 PM
sunrise123   Unbelievable what is happening in London! To...   Aug 9th 2011, 12:57 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   Thank you, Sauli Sauli_Koskinen Sauli Koskinen ...   Aug 9th 2011, 1:24 PM
sunrise123   That's not really Sauli. He's still @saul...   Aug 9th 2011, 1:39 PM
Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life   It's spilled over into Manchester, I've he...   Aug 8th 2011, 9:00 PM
madamimadam   WOW! You just never know, do you? http://www...   Aug 8th 2011, 10:41 PM
stellaluna   WOW! You just never know, do you? http://ww...   Aug 8th 2011, 10:46 PM
madamimadam   This is the kind of thing I worry about reading a...   Aug 8th 2011, 11:10 PM
bebeg   Unbelievable what is happening in London! To...   Aug 9th 2011, 12:17 PM
92 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Oct 31st 2014, 3:50 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol