Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> X Factor vs The Voice vs American Idol, which one will win?
X Factor vs The Voice vs American Idol
which one will win?
The Voice [ 36 ] ** [18.18%]
American Idol [ 89 ] ** [44.95%]
X Factor US [ 73 ] ** [36.87%]
Total Votes: 198
Guests cannot vote 
kCm
post Apr 22nd 2011, 8:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. AI6: Chris Richardson
Fav. AI8: Kris Allen, Megan Corkrey

I'm really interested with The Voice mainly because of the judges they have for the contestants, and how they are really relevant in the industry. The mentoring part is similar between The Voice and X Factor, which is why I think it will all come down to the actual judges.

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Apr 22nd 2011, 8:50 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

Elenaic_1990
post Apr 22nd 2011, 1:24 PM
Post #2

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI5: Chris Daughtry
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart

I don't even think The Voice will be big. unsure.gif We'll see if I end up eating my words.
American Idol's time's coming to an end obviously.
X-Factor US seems to be the better choice I'd say, hopefully it will be great.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
hazuki
post Apr 22nd 2011, 5:37 PM
Post #3

Stomp, Stomp. I have arrived

Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. AI11: Jessica Sanchez
Fav. XFUS3: Ellona Santiago

Screw Idol. Bring on X Factor and The Voice. w00t.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
twitter|tumblr|last.fm|Credit: Jack
AI13:Jess Meuse, Jena Asciutto, Malaya Watson, Austin Wolfe, Kristen O Connor, George Lovett
+Quote Post
istersay
post Apr 22nd 2011, 9:47 PM
Post #4

Search and Destroy
Group Icon

Group: Neurox Media Moderators

The voice will be interesting because it's something new, but I think X Factor will do the best, we'll see. I'm really bored with Idol this year.

--------------------
+Quote Post
bradwalk
post Apr 23rd 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #5

I don't think The Voice will get anywhere near the ratings of Idol. X Factor might equal Idol's success, but I doubt it'll beat it. I'll always watch Idol. I'll give the other 2 a try. If Nicole PussyCatDoll is on X Factor as rumored, don't know how much more of her I can stand. I quit watching Sing Off because of her.

--------------------
+Quote Post
1dbad
post Apr 24th 2011, 11:15 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(bradwalk @ Apr 23rd 2011, 10:02 PM) *

X Factor might equal Idol's success, but I doubt it'll beat it.

Even if it just equaled Idol's success at it's prime that would be good enough. While I would love by some off chance for it to beat it (although that's very unlikely), even if it just matches it's ratings that would be good enough since that would be an incredible number of viewers.

I'll always watch Idol.

For however long it still has left on the air. haha.gif While popular the show is getting older, and the ratings continue to climb down year after year. Plus after the X Factor airs, it'll only be a matter of time before it goes on 'indefinite hiatus' or gets canceled. Almost every last place X factor has aired (if not every place), it has always led to the cancellation of their version of 'Idol' or at least makes it go on an 'indefinite hiatus' that has yet to end. And I'm sure the US will be no different.

I'll give the other 2 a try.

That's cool, you should at least do that. yes.gif

If Nicole PussyCatDoll is on X Factor as rumored, don't know how much more of her I can stand. I quit watching Sing Off because of her.

Well, according to recent reports and rumors it seems like Nicole might not even be on the show at all, or that if she is she'll just be a host. Even if she does get on it though I'd recommend at least give her (and the show) a chance, because she might not be as bad as you think. While I have heard of her weirdness on that show, I saw her guest stint at X Factor UK and it was IMPRESSIVE. She was really great and everyone loved her, and if she if she's ANYTHING like how she was during her guest stint on the US show I think even haters of her like you would get to where you like her, or could at least tolerate her. haha.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
siliconesaline
post Apr 24th 2011, 8:07 PM
Post #7

IDk but the voice will lose.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Supersaiyan627
post Apr 24th 2011, 8:23 PM
Post #8

I feel like The Voice is using the blind auditions as a gimmick. I mean, once the audition phase is over, it's a regular singing competition. The live shows will basically be American Idol with the mentoring aspect of X Factor. I feel like it'll last about a year or two. Also, because all four judges are big celebrities, I doubt they will return again next season as judges. They'll probably end up replacing them.

I still think X Factor will triumph over the other two. It covers a larger demographic, so tweens will definitely tune in to see the 12, 13, and 14 year olds on the show.

American Idol is trying hard to be X Factor. I hear they want to change the voting system so that judges can decide who in the bottom 2 leaves. And anyone notice how they are using more pyrotechnics, and entertainment on stage than previous years?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zeta_Nova
post Apr 24th 2011, 9:22 PM
Post #9

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. X Factor UK: Matt Cardle

Yeah. XF's using that feature for years though.

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image
Currently watching Fairy Tail & NCIS: Los Angeles
+Quote Post
*Diana
post Apr 25th 2011, 7:11 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(hazuki @ Apr 22nd 2011, 4:37 PM) *

THIS

--------------------
Michele. Miller. Radomski. McCormick
AI13: Jessica Meuse
+Quote Post
Telement
post Apr 25th 2011, 8:27 AM
Post #11

Fav. AI9: Siobhan Magnus

QUOTE(*Diana @ Apr 25th 2011, 8:11 PM) *

QUOTE(hazuki @ Apr 23rd 2011, 6:37 AM) *

THIS

yes.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
eNewsZone
post Apr 25th 2011, 12:07 PM
Post #12

Idol's definitely winning this war. While the other two might start really well, I don't think there's a critical mass of former "Idol" fans who are looking for a better music show to watch. I think Idol's current audience ~20-25 million represents the general pool for viewership (and so everyone else would be competing to get "also-watched" by the Idol fans.

X-Factor could conceivably open more in the 30 million range (although I'm having doubts based on how well Idol held up without Simon), but The Voice is most likely not topping Idol's average for this season for its first episode, let alone 6-7 weeks in.

This post has been edited by eNewsZone: Apr 25th 2011, 12:08 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
1dbad
post Apr 25th 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Supersaiyan627 @ Apr 24th 2011, 8:23 PM) *

I feel like The Voice is using the blind auditions as a gimmick. I mean, once the audition phase is over, it's a regular singing competition. The live shows will basically be American Idol with the mentoring aspect of X Factor. I feel like it'll last about a year or two. Also, because all four judges are big celebrities, I doubt they will return again next season as judges. They'll probably end up replacing them.

I completely agree. And that's actually one of the main reasons I'm not too excited for it, or think it'll last that long. And I hadn't thought about that with the judges (mainly since I'm not even sure if it'll last for a season or even be renewed for a second one yet), but that's a good point and very possible as well.

QUOTE(Supersaiyan627 @ Apr 24th 2011, 8:23 PM) *
American Idol is trying hard to be X Factor. I hear they want to change the voting system so that judges can decide who in the bottom 2 leaves. And anyone notice how they are using more pyrotechnics, and entertainment on stage than previous years?

They really are. It's pathetic almost all the changes they're making to be more like X Factor. I hadn't heard that about the voting though. I heard they wanted to change the voting system due to the teenage girls mainly keeping the boys in, but not that. If that's the case though then that's even sadder that they would blatantly rip off X Factor and other reality shows like that. Ah well, the good news is if they do end up changing it to that it would be for next year, after X Factor already aired so people would know better. And I have noticed that! Not only the pyrotechnics and extra stage entertainment but they also ripped off the mentoring aspect of X Factor as well.

QUOTE(eNewsZone @ Apr 25th 2011, 12:07 PM) *

Idol's definitely winning this war.

Uh, no it's not. X Factor is. I don't know if the vote was different earlier or if you looked at it wrong, but X Factor's clearly in the lead, and has been since the beginning.

QUOTE(eNewsZone @ Apr 25th 2011, 12:07 PM) *
I think Idol's current audience ~20-25 million represents the general pool for viewership (and so everyone else would be competing to get "also-watched" by the Idol fans.

Not really. The only reason Idol has that many is because it's the only real singing reality show on the air at the moment, and you need to remember the ratings keep declining every season. With how hyped up X Factor is a lot of people will check it out and after realizing it allows more people and is generally a more exciting and enjoyable show, it'll start to attract them. Not only that but it'll also attract a lot of new viewers as well, so I wouldn't count X Factor out yet. You also need to remember that X Factor has always lead to the death (or 'indefinite hiatus') of Idol in every country it aired in and X Factor US will most likely be no different. I do agree The Voice doesn't have that good of a chance at all though.

--------------------
+Quote Post
eNewsZone
post Apr 25th 2011, 12:39 PM
Post #14

By "winning this war" I meant my opinion of which will be looked at as the bigger force at the end of the day.

In my post, I allowed for the possibility that X-Factor opens stronger than American Idol, which, as you correctly noted, as been on the decline. But I think the days of singing competitions CONSISTENTLY doing 35+ million viewers in America are over, and if it does win the war, it'll be winning the war against a 10-year-old "Idol" rather than re-define what a successful series is in America.

Based on how well "Idol" has held up this year, there would easily be 2-3 more years of dominant ratings for the show. Yes, X-Factor might take the lead and exacerbate its decline, but I don't know if it, in three years, will be doing better ratings than American Idol is currently doing.

Frankly, I think that if you take the initial curiosity viewership out of the equation, Idol's average for season 10 will probably eclipse that of X-Factor season one.

This post has been edited by eNewsZone: Apr 25th 2011, 12:40 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
1dbad
post Apr 25th 2011, 1:47 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(eNewsZone @ Apr 25th 2011, 12:39 PM) *

By "winning this war" I meant my opinion of which will be looked at as the bigger force at the end of the day.

Ah, got it. I thought you may have meant it like that, but wasn't sure so I just went off how it came across. And well, we'll have to see how X Factor fairs first. To be honest even if Idol is looked at as the bigger force at the end of the day though, that's not saying much because Idol never really had any good competition like it is now, so I don't consider that feat as impressive. Some of Idol's ratings were impressive yes, but considering it really had no competition that's not surprising and makes it less of an impressive feat, in my opinion.

But I think the days of singing competitions CONSISTENTLY doing 35+ million viewers in America are over, and if it does win the war, it'll be winning the war against a 10-year-old "Idol" rather than re-define what a successful series is in America.

I agree. And true, but that's because it never came here sooner. Had it came here sooner I can almost assure you that Idol wouldn't have gotten as big as it did. It's just the people at Idol knew that so they cheated in a sense by making a clause in Simon's contract saying that as long as he was on Idol he was FORBIDDEN to launch X Factor over here as Idol's competition. While I consider Idol's ratings at it's prime impressive, it's not as impressive when you consider everything. Even if Idol does remain victorious it's victory will still be more of a cop-out than anything.

Based on how well "Idol" has held up this year, there would easily be 2-3 more years of dominant ratings for the show. Yes, X-Factor might take the lead and exacerbate its decline, but I don't know if it, in three years, will be doing better ratings than American Idol is currently doing.

I wouldn't be so sure. I definitely agree that the show could easily last 2-3 more years, but you need to remember that the show hasn't had any competition before now. Starting soon Idol will face competition from The Voice and then The X Factor later this year, and it most likely won't fair so well after facing some proper competition. Combine that with Idol's age and declining ratings every year, and I don't think it'll still hold up as well as you think it will. It very well could lose a chunk of the ratings that make it so dominant. Another thing you need to remember is X Factor, like most shows, will probably continue to get more and more popular every year for a while, so within three or fours year it could possibly be doing as good as Idol is now. If it doesn't though then that's just due to people being tired with the format due to how long Idol's lasted and it's constant carbon-copies, which wouldn't be the fault of X Factor in the least.

Frankly, I think that if you take the initial curiosity viewership out of the equation, Idol's average for season 10 will probably eclipse that of X-Factor season one.

So? What does that prove? Idol's been around long enough to have a steady fanbase and X Factor is a new show just starting out. Most shows don't reach their peek during their first season and the ratings climb as time goes on due to increasing popularity and an increase in the size of the audience. It's not really fair to compare a veteran show's recent season with a new show's first season at all, so I don't get why you're trying to do it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
eNewsZone
post Apr 25th 2011, 2:15 PM
Post #16

It's not really fair to compare a veteran show's recent season with a new show's first season at all, so I don't get why you're trying to do it.

Here's why: When American Idol launched its first season, it was a fairly-unfamiliar concept (there had been talent shows but never anything exactly like it in America) with an unproven, unknown British guy as its star.

X-Factor, however, is starting with Simon Cowell as a mega-star and relying on the ground American Idol already cleared. It's basically just "Fall American Idol" or "The *REAL* tenth season of American Idol."

It thus, won't have the benefit of a "discovery" period. 95% of people who are potentially-interested are going to be well aware of what it's all about the second it premieres.

This is Simon Cowell (and possibly Paula Abdul) on a music competition show on FOX. If he were launching a fishing or bowling reality show, maybe I'd treat this as "starting from scratch."

--------------------
+Quote Post
1dbad
post Apr 25th 2011, 2:38 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(eNewsZone @ Apr 25th 2011, 2:15 PM) *

X-Factor, however, is starting with Simon Cowell as a mega-star and relying on the ground American Idol already cleared. It's basically just "Fall American Idol" or "The *REAL* tenth season of American Idol."

It thus, won't have the benefit of a "discovery" period. 95% of people who are potentially-interested are going to be well aware of what it's all about the second it premieres.

This is Simon Cowell (and possibly Paula Abdul) on a music competition show on FOX. If he were launching a fishing or bowling reality show, maybe I'd treat this as "starting from scratch."

Not really. One could enjoy X Factor even if they had never seen American Idol before in their life, and actually it's not relying on the ground American Idol already covered at all. Numerous shows covered the ground American Idol treaded on even before it came about, so both shows are just treading on the already existing ground of talent shows seeking to find stars. Neither of them are that new of concepts, and there were shows like Idol even before Idol came about, so X Factor isn't the only similar talent show out there. And while I agree that it doesn't feel completely different compared to Idol, it is different enough that it isn't just a "Fall American Idol" or "The *REAL* tenth season of American Idol" like you are making it out to be. It's an improvement on all of American Idol's features along with some new features, and different enough to be considered it's own show.

That's true, but how will that affect it? While it won't feel completely new that won't really affect too much of anything.

That makes sense, but I never said he was starting from scratch here with this. My main point in my original comment was while Idol will always be the clear winner to you (at least most likely), that even if it's the winner technically that doesn't say much. I definitely agree the 'discovery' of it helped, but the main reason the show managed to reach the level it did was from lack of proper competition, so even if it technically remains the winner that's not saying much since it had a pretty easy time with ratings due to lack of competition.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zeta_Nova
post Apr 26th 2011, 9:23 PM
Post #18

IMO

Unlike Idol, in X Factor there may be some friction between judges. As the 4 judges will be having contestant favorites. Hence the conflicts in the live shows.

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dolphin Eek
post Apr 27th 2011, 5:22 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(Zeta_Nova @ Apr 27th 2011, 3:23 AM) *

IMO

Unlike Idol, in X Factor there may be some friction between judges. As the 4 judges will be having contestant favorites. Hence the conflicts in the live shows.

This is what makes X Factor so compelling to watch. Of course you will get people saying the show is just about the judges, BUT unlike AI, where the the judges are meant to be detached, the mentors in X Factor are not - they have an obvious and vested interest in their own categories.

This is what makes X Factor compulsive viewing - one could say the viewing ratings support this, where live shows consistently gain higher ratings than the early audition episodes. I read somewhere that it's the opposite with AI.

In AI, once the live shows begin, the judges have effectively nothing to do. They are rendered redundant, so to create some form of meaning or direction, they resort to so-called 'pimping' or contestant bias. Recently, the producers introduced the 'judges save' feature - which I found somewhat desperate to say the least...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zeta_Nova
post Apr 27th 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #20

Yeah, Simon's right. XF seems to be more FUN. Especially with the stage production crew for the live shows and the contestants interacting with the audience.

Well, the contestants interact with the audiences and judges in AI. But the ones in XF are more interactive.

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image
+Quote Post

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Apr 18th 2014, 12:39 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol