Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

2 Pages V < 1 2   ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Back on the Siobhan train?
cowboysfan8260
post Apr 4th 2011, 3:59 PM
Post #21

Group: Members

Sorry, but the real world just doesn't work that way. Nobody is going to stay on the Siobhan train if she can't get music onto the shelves. Siobhan herself is unlikely to keep pursuing a career as a recording artist if she can't experience some degree of commercial success. It costs a lot of money to write, produce, record, promote, and distribute music. Unless she can get some major buzz going, there is a very good chance that these solo songs will be the last we ever hear from Siobhan. thumbdown.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Apr 4th 2011, 3:59 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

blacklightposter
post Apr 4th 2011, 6:19 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(cowboysfan8260 @ Apr 4th 2011, 4:59 PM) *

Sorry, but the real world just doesn't work that way. Nobody is going to stay on the Siobhan train if she can't get music onto the shelves. Siobhan herself is unlikely to keep pursuing a career as a recording artist if she can't experience some degree of commercial success.

Depends on exactly what, and whose, "real world" you're talking about. People are different. What they value is different, and how they value others, or de-value them, differs greatly. We all want Siobhan to be commercially successful, but everyone's also aware most musicians never acheive that... most never get anywhere close. If Siobhan doesn't either, I don't believe quite everybody is going to regard it as the end of all music from Siobhan Magnus.

If Siobhan doesn't make her livelihood as a recording artist, my bet is she continues to record anyway, just less formally or ambitiously (read: less expensively). Obviously, yes, most current fans will fade away if she isn't commercially successful, but your "nobody" presumes to speak for everybody, and that's not a good idea.

QUOTE(cowboysfan8260 @ Apr 4th 2011, 4:59 PM) *

It costs a lot of money to write, produce, record, promote, and distribute music. Unless she can get some major buzz going, there is a very good chance that these solo songs will be the last we ever hear from Siobhan. thumbdown.gif

It takes lots of money to professionally produce, market, promote, distribute, and manage music for commercial sale. Also to tour, pay a band, etc. But it costs essentially nothing to write music, very little more to make it with friends, and next to nothing to record it at home with those friends. Or even without the friends... some great music has been sung directly into tape players by musicians just accompanying themselves on an instrument.

Requiring a musician to be on itunes or on the shelves in Walmart in order to regard them as mattering is a personal choice. But these days anybody can at least make their music available. Five or ten years from now it's very possible Sio's music won't be generating any money for her, but I'm willing to bet it continues to get made, and posted someplace where those interested can hear it.

The girl loves music and has unearthly gifts. She's gonna keep singing. If she becomes very obscure, yeah, by the very definition of "obscure" most people will stop listening. But everybody won't. And as you've discerned, it's not all about money for Siobhan, so she might not be exactly devastated herself, by not becoming a star. I suspect she'd handle that rather well, in fact.

--------------------
+Quote Post
DavidLM
post Apr 4th 2011, 9:05 PM
Post #23

Fav. AI9: Siobhan Magnus
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart

QUOTE(whitesoxbuff @ Apr 1st 2011, 3:28 PM) *

I've never left the train

Me neither, lots of Siobhan fans still lurking (or sitting in the caboose) like me but not posting. Heck I still check out McPhee's site a few times a year but never post. I got my fingers crossed for the solo stuff.

OP - Haley has become my favorite over the past two weeks as I switched from Pia, Blue got me started. Why do we pick underdogs? The huge hit Haley had with Bennie and the Jets reminds me of Siobhan's success with Think and PIB.

--------------------
+Quote Post
outsiderforsio
post Apr 5th 2011, 5:15 AM
Post #24

Fav. AI8: Adam Lambert

I never left Siobhan and never will I... original.gif

--------------------

Bonbon #273
"I am not defeated"
"I do what I have to do because it rests well on my heart"

-Siobhan Magnus
+Quote Post
IhateInternet
post Apr 5th 2011, 6:30 AM
Post #25

I'll never let Siobhan go
If she promises not to fade away, never fade away

--------------------
+Quote Post
Telement
post Apr 5th 2011, 7:06 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(cowboysfan8260 @ Apr 5th 2011, 4:59 AM) *

Unless she can get some major buzz going, there is a very good chance that these solo songs will be the last we ever hear from Siobhan. thumbdown.gif

I think Sio's next step is to get signed by a label. Since she doesnt really like making mainstream music, an independent label is perfect for her.

The best scenario is: Sio releases her EP. Gets very good reviews. Established independent label(s) contact Tony. They all work out a deal......and......Sio is signed!! Yay! clap.gif

Imo, you NEED a label to have a chance in this tough music industry. You need that machine - those connections - to move forward. Arcade Fire is signed with an independent label. So, indie label is not bad at all.

If Sio's EP does not generate interest from any labels....then..... noexpression.gif Yeah....its almost a bye bye OR she can invest in another EP and try again. Some independent artists (not signed by any labels) can make it....selling their music online.....but its really really tough. You also need to be very active online to "connect" with your fans. Since Sio is a cavewoman.....indie artist is definitely not advisable for her. Sio needs to get signed by an indie label............and all that depends on the EP (how good is the music) and Tony (how good is his connection and marketing skills).

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Apr 25th 2014, 2:47 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol