Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

219 Pages V « < 199 200 201 202 203 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Come and 'Growl'!, Official Off-Topic Thread
jjames865
post May 6th 2012, 6:33 AM
Post #4001

Group: Members

Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart

QUOTE(Tusk @ May 6th 2012, 4:33 AM) *

Bring out your neon T-shirts and black lights, it's time for a whole Pink Floyd concert (sans Roger Waters)
Featuring a man very under rated as a guitar player, David Gilmour....

Couldn't agree with you more Tusk. IMO, Gilmour's lead solo's were played with passion and depth as well as skill. One of the best.

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post May 6th 2012, 6:33 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

Tusk
post May 7th 2012, 5:47 PM
Post #4002

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson

Synthesized and electronic augmentation has, in past years, had a "black sheep" reputation in music. It's very popular but always has had a "no talent to use" reputation about it. Purists often turn their noses to it, the 'auto-tuning' (I've been guilty, myself).

But in the hands of true artists, people who use the tool to audio manifest their concepts, it can be sublime. We saw the Beatles use it to great effect in Sgt Peppers.

Pink Floyd were, at their height, masterminds of this also. The electronic manipulations of sounds and instruments.

In "Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii" The band is filmed with snippets of their thoughts, philosophies and mind sets when they create. It is a very entertaining glimpse into Floyd as they crested in popularity, during happier times when David Gilmour and Roger Waters got along (the 'McCartney and Lennon" of Floyd, there is a bit about how they are able to 'stand' each other grin.gif). It is also interesting watching some of the behind the scene philosophies on their creative processes, that they were aware they were musical pioneers and it opened them up to new sonic possibilities, especially in the use of electronics and augmentation.

At 26:34, Richard Wright, their keyboardist says
It's a danger, we could become slaves of all our equipment....It worries me, sometimes, that we have this much equipment, and you can hide behind it...

Roger Waters countered that, if someone were to accuse them of that, he would challenge them to do what Pink Floyd would do, to which they would answer, we don't know the equipment, or practiced. Waters would then, reply, that's what Pink Floyd were doing for the past 4 years as a band...learning their craft
Very entertaining film/documentary of "The Floyd" at their height.

I also happened upon this behind the scenes clip from another band that experimented with electronic sounds before the New Wave/synthesizer era hit.
This is about 10CC a band of the '70s best known for "I'm Not In Love" and "The Things We Do For Love". It's interesting the lengths these guys went with the equipment available to 'squeeze' out the sounds they wanted...This particular clip talks about what they did to create the 'wall of sound' vocal effect in their most famous song, "I'm Not In Love" (posted the video for the song too)

Maybe artists nowadays are as involved in the effort they put in the augmentations of today, it was just interesting to see how 'inventive' these bands of the '70's had to be, with the equipment available to them, to get the sounds they wanted

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
jjames865
post May 7th 2012, 8:55 PM
Post #4003

Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee

QUOTE(Tusk @ May 7th 2012, 6:47 PM) *

Synthesized and electronic augmentation has, in past years, had a "black sheep" reputation in music. It's very popular but always has had a "no talent to use" reputation about it. Purists often turn their noses to it, the 'auto-tuning' (I've been guilty, myself).

But in the hands of true artists, people who use the tool to audio manifest their concepts, it can be sublime. We saw the Beatles use it to great effect in Sgt Peppers.

Pink Floyd were, at their height, masterminds of this also. The electronic manipulations of sounds and instruments.

In "Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii" The band is filmed with snippets of their thoughts, philosophies and mind sets when they create. It is a very entertaining glimpse into Floyd as they crested in popularity, during happier times when David Gilmour and Roger Waters got along (the 'McCartney and Lennon" of Floyd, there is a bit about how they are able to 'stand' each other grin.gif). It is also interesting watching some of the behind the scene philosophies on their creative processes, that they were aware they were musical pioneers and it opened them up to new sonic possibilities, especially in the use of electronics and augmentation.

At 26:34, Richard Wright, their keyboardist says

Roger Waters countered that, if someone were to accuse them of that, he would challenge them to do what Pink Floyd would do, to which they would answer, we don't know the equipment, or practiced. Waters would then, reply, that's what Pink Floyd were doing for the past 4 years as a band...learning their craft
Very entertaining film/documentary of "The Floyd" at their height.

I also happened upon this behind the scenes clip from another band that experimented with electronic sounds before the New Wave/synthesizer era hit.
This is about 10CC a band of the '70s best known for "I'm Not In Love" and "The Things We Do For Love". It's interesting the lengths these guys went with the equipment available to 'squeeze' out the sounds they wanted...This particular clip talks about what they did to create the 'wall of sound' vocal effect in their most famous song, "I'm Not In Love" (posted the video for the song too)

Maybe artists nowadays are as involved in the effort they put in the augmentations of today, it was just interesting to see how 'inventive' these bands of the '70's had to be, with the equipment available to them, to get the sounds they wanted

Tusk, as you might have guessed I am a Pink Floyd nut so know much about the band from the earliest days before David Gilmour joined the band and Syd Barrett departed. Your post about 10cc production of "I'm not in Love" was fascinating and much appreciated.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
#jeah
post May 17th 2012, 9:25 PM
Post #4004

Fav. AI11: Elise Testone

I'm graduating high school tomorrow! bye2.gif

--------------------
formerly aag1010 | R.I.P. Michael Johns
+Quote Post
Tusk
post May 17th 2012, 9:55 PM
Post #4005

QUOTE(aag1010 @ May 17th 2012, 7:25 PM) *

Congratulations grin.gif

My advice, (for what it's worth LOL) don't take the next few years for granted, enjoy your freedom/independence, but don't forget your adult life awaits. Figure out what you want and then focus, don't burn bridges, you never know who will/can help you when you need it. flowers.gif

(after a little fun of course after graduation) teeheebounce.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
buggedOUT
post May 17th 2012, 9:59 PM
Post #4006

QUOTE(aag1010 @ May 17th 2012, 7:25 PM) *

Congrats! w00t.gif thumbsup.gif flowers.gif clap.gif thumbup.gif spaz.gif

--------------------
No one ever pays ME in gum.
+Quote Post
#jeah
post May 17th 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #4007

QUOTE(Tusk @ May 17th 2012, 10:55 PM) *

Congratulations grin.gif

My advice, (for what it's worth LOL) don't take the next few years for granted, enjoy your freedom/independence, but don't forget your adult life awaits. Figure out what you want and then focus, don't burn bridges, you never know who will/can help you when you need it. flowers.gif

QUOTE(buggedOUT @ May 17th 2012, 10:59 PM) *

Congrats! w00t.gif thumbsup.gif flowers.gif clap.gif thumbup.gif spaz.gif

Thank you both!! huggy.gif And thanks for the advice Tusk, I will definitely take it!

--------------------
+Quote Post
buggedOUT
post May 18th 2012, 1:10 AM
Post #4008

R.I.P. Donna Summer, Chuck Brown, Mary Kennedy and Jim Abdnor.

--------------------
No one ever pays ME in gum.
+Quote Post
AdoreGrowler26
post May 19th 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #4009

Fav. Actress: Alison Brie

It seems The Sing Off won't be coming back next year. Or this year, I guess.

This post has been edited by AdoreGrowler26: May 19th 2012, 12:51 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
Thank you, Tusk :D
+Quote Post
#jeah
post May 19th 2012, 2:41 PM
Post #4010

I ended up being salutatorian, and I gave a speech at graduation last night! It was so surreal but amazing at the same time. And I'm finally done with high school!!! w00t.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thom0065
post May 19th 2012, 5:48 PM
Post #4011

QUOTE(aag1010 @ May 17th 2012, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Tusk @ May 17th 2012, 10:55 PM) *

Congratulations grin.gif

Congratulations ... and Tusk offers some good advice ... time goes quick so enjoy things as they come ... and be good to people that you meet ... you wil be surprised at how things come back around in life ...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Raphy
post May 24th 2012, 3:01 PM
Post #4012

Group: Blend Artists

Fav. CI4: Eva Avila
Fav. CI5: Carly Rae Jepsen

OMG, did you guys see the video for I'm On A Roll!? Casey Abrams is featured in it! shocked.gif

--------------------

IPB ImageIPB Image
SYTYCD11: Jacque, Serge, Carly, Tanisha, Zack, Teddy AI13: Jena, Kristen BB16: Nicole, Christine, Zach, Cody TARC2:
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mercfan3
post May 24th 2012, 4:02 PM
Post #4013

Yea..that's some serious enabling on Casey's part. haha.gif haha.gif

Cute trio.

I don't know that they'll meat Kradison status..but they're cute.

--------------------
IPB Image
Great Things Come In Small Packages
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
marinareinhart
post May 24th 2012, 4:59 PM
Post #4014

Fav. AI8: Alexis Grace
Fav. Fav. TV3: Cassadee Pope

Season 11 finished...
And Idol 10 top 13 contestans forums are still in the main page haha.gif we're lucky

--------------------
~ Marina. ~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
kimtv5
post May 24th 2012, 8:15 PM
Post #4015

I really want Haley's next album to have songs written by her and the band together. i can just imagine them in the studio throwing out their flavors and jamming out together, that would be so dope.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kanze
post May 25th 2012, 1:12 AM
Post #4016

Fav. AI11: Jessica Sanchez

Andy! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! (Even though it's a week late wink.gif)

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheUtahHalien
post May 25th 2012, 2:13 AM
Post #4017

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. Famous dude: Shigeru Miyamoto

QUOTE(Tusk @ Apr 23rd 2012, 1:47 PM) *

I installed FF but the issue persisted...It ended up being a Flash player issue, for some reason I had to manually do it, something that usually get's updated on its own though automatic updates....I see it now tongue.gif

It sounds like You're still on XP then in that case you really need to get your butt on Fx(the right way to abbreviate Firefox) because it is the TARDIS of the internet, or anything else released in the past 2 years. XP is losing support left and right and now that it's market share is dropping below the newer OS's from MSFT you will see complete support go away in the next 2 years for sure.(and they already dropped real support for it) oh and if you're not on XP, UPGRADE IE to IE9 for crap sakes or ie10 if you're on 7 and adventurous. It is important to keep things up to date to increase security and most of the time performance. (unless you're on a mac, which I know you're not, then the updates from apple can break your security too giggle.gif ) oh and actually, I lied, do the internet a favor and don't use chrome too.

I wasn't on here a week ago but yeah, Congrats and have fun in this "real world"!

This post has been edited by TheUtahHalien: May 25th 2012, 2:17 AM

--------------------
<a href="the past">The Legend of Zelda</a> "Y? , Y0?" "du the du/just du it" sig by denise
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Tusk
post May 25th 2012, 2:35 AM
Post #4018

QUOTE(TheUtahHalien @ May 25th 2012, 12:13 AM) *

It sounds like You're still on XP then in that case you really need to get your butt on Fx(the right way to abbreviate Firefox) because it is the TARDIS of the internet, or anything else released in the past 2 years. XP is losing support left and right and now that it's market share is dropping below the newer OS's from MSFT you will see complete support go away in the next 2 years for sure.(and they already dropped real support for it) oh and if you're not on XP, UPGRADE IE to IE9 for crap sakes or ie10 if you're on 7 and adventurous. It is important to keep things up to date to increase security and most of the time performance. (unless you're on a mac, which I know you're not, then the updates from apple can break your security too giggle.gif ) oh and actually, I lied, do the internet a favor and don't use chrome too.

Gotta upgrade my hardware first before I worry about which browser to use, I've heard those new browsers really use alot of resources. I don't even want to upgrade from my reliable Photoshop 7 beause of all the horror stories about how weighed down most ADOBE products are anymore (CS suites).

I finally downloaded the software to run the video I recorded in LA and I'm really disappointed with the resolution. It's a JVC and supposed to be 1080P and HD, but it looks nothing like High Definition, and is very choppy in my VLC player. (It plays best in the player software provided by the camera, and on the camera's LCD)

There's a good chance that it's my ageing computer/video card, and perhaps XP too. It's better than not having the video, so I hope it's not the .mts file, and more because of my outdated hardware. I hope I'm right and it's my computer/OS/Video Card and I will have a better video with a newer computer....

Here's a VLC cap of one of the sharper parts of the video, but it only looks good because I shrunk it.

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Tusk: May 25th 2012, 2:44 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Backtothestar
post May 25th 2012, 9:53 AM
Post #4019

Fav. AI12: Amber Holcomb
Fav. XFUK: Little Mix

http://mix931fm.com/best-american-idol-per...es-of-all-time/
just found it

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheUtahHalien
post May 25th 2012, 3:52 PM
Post #4020

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. Famous dude: Shigeru Miyamoto

QUOTE(Tusk @ May 25th 2012, 3:35 AM) *

Gotta upgrade my hardware first before I worry about which browser to use, I've heard those new browsers really use alot of resources. I don't even want to upgrade from my reliable Photoshop 7 beause of all the horror stories about how weighed down most ADOBE products are anymore (CS suites).

I finally downloaded the software to run the video I recorded in LA and I'm really disappointed with the resolution. It's a JVC and supposed to be 1080P and HD, but it looks nothing like High Definition, and is very choppy in my VLC player. (It plays best in the player software provided by the camera, and on the camera's LCD)

There's a good chance that it's my ageing computer/video card, and perhaps XP too. It's better than not having the video, so I hope it's not the .mts file, and more because of my outdated hardware. I hope I'm right and it's my computer/OS/Video Card and I will have a better video with a newer computer....

Here's a VLC cap of one of the sharper parts of the video, but it only looks good because I shrunk it.

IPB Image

If you told me the model of your computer and video card and any upgrades you have made I could easily tell you if the problem is the hardware.

--------------------
<a href="the past">The Legend of Zelda</a> "Y? , Y0?" "du the du/just du it" sig by denise
IPB Image
+Quote Post

219 Pages V « < 199 200 201 202 203 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Sep 16th 2014, 10:32 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol