Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

> 2-Track Path to Making Music: As Rock Bank Lead Singer 'And' Solo Performer, Like Rod Stewart and Jenny Lewis, Siobhan Can Do Both
blacklightposter
post Oct 3rd 2010, 2:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Since Siobhan wants to stay lead singer of Lunar Valve, a very viable pathway she could pursue is that of singing lead for her band and ALSO, simultaneously, recording and performing as a solo act.

I've been pushing for this approach for a few days now, by promoting the example of Rod Stewart and Faces.

In this current period when we're not hearing a lot that's very promising out of Cape Cod, in the wee hours last night Telement found and brought us on another thread what I regard as incredibly good news...

QUOTE(Telement @ Oct 3rd 2010, 2:56 AM) *

Cape's 'Idol' star far from idle
http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0325/-1/NEWSMAP

She's still with her band, Lunar Valve, to whom she feels a deep commitment because "when you start something, you should finish it" -- though she's not ruling out a possible simultaneous solo music career.

HALLELUJAH!

Now we're talking! This is, to me, a nugget of VERY hopeful news to roll out of Marston Mills.

As I've argued previously, in the early 1970s Rod Stewart took this approach with great success. The rock band Faces, with Rod Stewart as lead singer, put out some outstanding music. "Stay With Me", one of the great Rod Stewart records ever, was released with Faces. Meanwhile Stewart also had a successful simultaneous career at a solo artist. In particular his solo albums Gasoline Alley, Every Picture Tells A Story, and Never A Dull Moment, contain a lot of great songs and generated a lot of hits.

He covers Sam Cooke on one. Solo performers tend to do covers more than do bands. Wish list: I'd love to hear Siobhan cover Sam Cooke on a cd.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
I recommend checking out the cd The Best of Faces... Good Boys... When They're Asleep. Lotsa good stuff on it.

Rod Stewart, as we know, went on to do many different things in music, and in different genres, including record popular albums of old standards. (And he's made boatloads of money.)

One member of Faces, by the way, also didn't do at all badly for himself. Ronnie Wood is a Rolling Stone.

Mebbe Siobhan or family have been lurking here and know our concerns about her having to slow down while 4 of the 5 guys of Lunar Valve deal with college?

Could our, well, whining... and maybe even my nagging about her possibly trying the "early Rod Stewart approach" -- sing lead for Faces (/LV) while cutting solo albums containing more covers, at the same time -- actually be helping a little...?

Probably not, but it's fun to think it might anyway.

But I'll bet this two-track approach is something that her dad at least, and maybe other family members and friends, are in favor of and urging her to try, too. Because I really can't imagine family members happily going along with an "I'm signing to record with Lunar Valve only, or not at all" approach, especially right now in this short window of time while she still has a post-AI buzz going.

This post has been edited by istersay: Oct 3rd 2010, 4:21 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Oct 3rd 2010, 2:34 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
blacklightposter
post Oct 3rd 2010, 2:49 PM
Post #2

Group: Members

And, simultaneously since 2004, Jenny solo.

Solo Career (From Wikipedia)

In 2004, Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes invited Lewis to record a solo record for record label Team Love. Described by Lewis as "a kind of soul record", Rabbit Fur Coat (released January 24, 2006) features contributions from Oberst, M. Ward, and Maroon 5 guitarist James Valentine. Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie (and Lewis's bandmate in The Postal Service) guests on a cover of The Traveling Wilburys' "Handle With Care." The Watson Twins provide accompaniment on the album, billed as Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins. Lewis toured with the Watson Twins in support of the album three times in 2006.... ...The album received positive reviews, with Entertainment Weekly writing, "Consider Lewis the Emmylou Harris of the Silverlake set; and Rolling Stone commenting that "her girlishly seductive vocals are more versatile than ever". The Onion AV Club, Spin, and NPR music critic Meredith Ochs named it among the best albums of the year. In 2008, Lewis released a second solo album, this time without the Watson Twins, titled Acid Tongue."

IPB Image
The Watson Twins just sing back-up. Whereas I'd expect a Siobhan solo cd to be mostly covers, Jenny Lewis is a songwriter and writes almost everything she performs.

I have both "Rabbit Fur Coat" and "Acid Tongue" and like them both... the first one quite a bit.

Rilo Kiley, frankly, is less to my tastes. I prefer Jenny Lewis's solo performer music.

IPB Image
Rabbit Fur Coat promo pic

IPB Image
Jenny indulging her own tastes with the Watson Twins

IPB Image

IPB Image
Recent solo music tour. With pumpkin, no less.

IPB Image

IPB Image
I get the impression Jenny might have the most fun recording and performing with her band (though she's usually not exactly bubbly so with her it's kinda hard to tell). But frankly I believe she's made her best music on her own.

Rilo Kiley, though, is still an ongoing entity. And she is still the guys' lead singer.

Rod Stewart did it.
Jenny Lewis is doing it.

And I'm sure there are other good examples out there.

Siobhan Magnus can do it, too.

Siobhan, please give us solo-performer music in addition to lead-singer-in-Lunar Valve music.

Thank you,
Your Humble Fan

This post has been edited by blacklightposter: Oct 3rd 2010, 10:45 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
blacklightposter   2-Track Path to Making Music: As Rock Bank Lead Singer 'And' Solo Performer   Oct 3rd 2010, 2:34 PM
blacklightposter   The more contemporary example of the two-track app...   Oct 3rd 2010, 2:41 PM
blacklightposter   And, simultaneously since 2004, Jenny solo. h...   Oct 3rd 2010, 2:49 PM
Rohm   Great idea.   Oct 3rd 2010, 2:54 PM
iluvpower   I really like this idea... and if it's feasibl...   Oct 3rd 2010, 5:26 PM
blacklightposter   Let's hypothesize that there are record labels...   Oct 3rd 2010, 10:35 PM
Telement   One way for a label to hedge that problem somewha...   Oct 4th 2010, 5:47 AM
A Song To Sing   I'm worried that Siobhan would be biting off m...   Oct 3rd 2010, 11:00 PM
blacklightposter   I'm worried that Siobhan would be biting off ...   Oct 3rd 2010, 11:32 PM
A Song To Sing   .   Oct 4th 2010, 12:10 AM
blacklightposter   Another successful example of the 2-track path is ...   Oct 6th 2010, 10:32 PM
Telement   Fergie did the same too. http://turbo.inquisitr.c...   Oct 6th 2010, 11:46 PM
blacklightposter   Fergie did the same too. From wiki: Stacy Ann F...   Mar 17th 2011, 2:10 PM
blacklightposter   http://www.smagnus.com/home.htm :clap: :clap:...   Jan 24th 2011, 10:52 AM
solbay2   Wow, this is good news. :D I wanna hear the new s...   Jan 24th 2011, 1:39 PM
Telement   Hey BLP, Sio took your advice! You better purc...   Jan 26th 2011, 2:41 AM
kristie   what about gwen stefani? she's had success bot...   Jan 26th 2011, 3:27 AM
HotStuff   Siobhan will go back to Nashville to record some s...   Jan 27th 2011, 11:23 PM
blacklightposter   New Barnstable Patriot article... thnx Telement T...   Feb 11th 2011, 9:41 PM
Alexander   Sony was a mess for not signing her.   Feb 12th 2011, 2:57 AM
blacklightposter   We're on the eve of the eve of Siobhan's ...   Apr 29th 2011, 10:02 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Apr 21st 2014, 2:10 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol