Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

2 Pages V  1 2 >   ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Real Kris vs. The Promotional/Commercial Kris, is it too much of a contrast or disconnect?
idolwatcher_1
post Aug 21st 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI8: Kris Allen

Singer-songwriter musicians usually strive to be themselves- to have their voice and their music heard as they feel it and as they connect with it personally. Kris is a new artist finding his place in the music business, but there's a certain vulnerability that comes with being new to this business and also with being young and not having enough experience dealing with how you will be shown and presented to the mainstream public.

Kris was adored by many and was voted the American Idol in 2009 due not only to his voice and his artistic choices as a contestant on the show, but as a charming, humble person who smiled all the time. Viewers pay attention to how contestants interact with other people, including the judges, the host, and the other contestants. Many saw Kris as someone that could get along with anybody, someone who stayed level-headed no matter what happened, and someone who was appreciative and grateful for the opportunity to share himself and his talents to the world. Not to mention, Kris was considered one of the most likeable contestants the show has ever had, due in a large part to his positive energy. However, the commercial and promotional material shows a very different side of Kris, or perhaps, a side that's really not even there, but is manufactured instead.

In both of Kris' music videos, he is alone in a desert, never interacting with other human beings, never really smiling about anything. Deserts are symbolic of desolation, loneliness, depression and poverty, which seems to go hand-in-hand with the fact that he is alone in all of his music videos with only a select group of props to be there with him.

The imagery below shows photos on the left side where Kris is being himself and doing what comes natural to him. On the right side is how Kris is being shown to the world in his promotional and commercial material.

Is there too much of a contrast or a disconnect between who Kris is as a person and who Kris is being promoted as in commercial and promotional imagery? Sound off with your thoughts below...

IPB Image

This post has been edited by idolwatcher_1: Aug 21st 2010, 1:00 PM

--------------------

IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Aug 21st 2010, 12:56 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

HeatherLovesAI
post Aug 21st 2010, 2:27 PM
Post #2

Fav. AI10: Stefano Langone
Fav. AI11: Phillip Phillips

This is pretty much the weirdest post ever. huh.gif it's just a photoshoot.

--------------------
P2 // SKYLAR // JOSHUA
+Quote Post
JoCeeisme
post Aug 23rd 2010, 2:20 AM
Post #3

I see exactly what you are getting at sad.gif

--------------------
Favourite idols: Kris Allen and James Durbin.
+Quote Post
LanceC
post Aug 23rd 2010, 2:48 AM
Post #4

Fav. AI6: Melinda Doolittle
Fav. AI10: Pia/Haley

No big deal, but they do need to get rid of their obsession with the desert and let Kris interact with other people in his music videos wacko.gif Though if he's going to interact with Pat Monahan again, then NO THANK YOU..

Add the band to make the set more lively. Change the scenery, if they add that freaking desert again..

This post has been edited by LanceC: Aug 23rd 2010, 3:01 AM

--------------------
Kradam bubbletweet
Adam: "I'm a little tired myself"
Kris: "Yeah Adam, let's go to bed. I'm on top"
Adam: "You just did that"
+Quote Post
LanceC
post Aug 23rd 2010, 2:53 AM
Post #5

Fav. AI6: Melinda Doolittle
Fav. AI10: Pia/Haley

sorry double post

This post has been edited by LanceC: Aug 23rd 2010, 2:53 AM

--------------------
Kradam bubbletweet
Adam: "I'm a little tired myself"
Kris: "Yeah Adam, let's go to bed. I'm on top"
Adam: "You just did that"
+Quote Post
Kworb
post Aug 23rd 2010, 8:48 AM
Post #6

Fav. AI6: Blake Lewis
Fav. AI8: Adam Lambert

Eh there are plenty "real Kris" pictures where he just sits alone with a guitar. The album happens to be pretty depressing, so of course that's the theme they went with in the photoshoot. Photoshoots in general have artists in contemplative states. Also BNS which was 100% Kris is also pretty dark.

So no I don't think they are manufacturing any image. The image just comes with the material released so far. If they'd released WAOMF or AWM as single then I'm sure the video would've been more uplifting.

--------------------
+Quote Post
jjeem
post Aug 23rd 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #7

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. AI10: James Durbin
Fav. AI8: KRIS ALLEN

QUOTE(idolwatcher_1 @ Aug 21st 2010, 12:56 PM) *

In both of Kris' music videos, he is alone in a desert, never interacting with other human beings....

That's because his label is going cheap on him and any additional model, actor, or even extra is an overhead to them. Notice too that his videos only have 1 or 2 sets (possibly the second one being the same, just shot differently). Any more that requires elaborate props or logistics would be over their budget. They have not spent a lot more on Kris than a college video project. No I'm not being funny. Just keeping it real. These cheap bastards have not done much for Kris so don't expect this has to do with creating an "image".

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
HeatherLovesAI
post Aug 23rd 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #8

Yea I was thinking that yesterday, there are a lot of depressing songs on the album. Kris is kind dark, I mean he's not spaz.gif at all. it's not depressed, he's just mellow and chill.

--------------------
P2 // SKYLAR // JOSHUA
+Quote Post
yeahyeahyeah85
post Aug 23rd 2010, 3:52 PM
Post #9

Fav. AI7: David Cook

When I clicked on this, I expected it to be about how they sometimes seem to be pushing Kris as this ultra clean-cut, perfect, all-American boy type, which often makes him seem a bit bland, rather than the innovative artist and funny, clever, awesome guy he is. That's a much more interesting topic, IMHO.

I'm pretty sure people who have seen both videos don't think Kris is depressed or has no friends. They might think he has a weird desert obsession.

--------------------
+Quote Post
KFan4Real
post Aug 23rd 2010, 4:39 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(yeahyeahyeah85 @ Aug 23rd 2010, 4:52 PM) *

When I clicked on this, I expected it to be about how they sometimes seem to be pushing Kris as this ultra clean-cut, perfect, all-American boy type, which often makes him seem a bit bland, rather than the innovative artist and funny, clever, awesome guy he is. That's a much more interesting topic, IMHO.

I'm pretty sure people who have seen both videos don't think Kris is depressed or has no friends. They might think he has a weird desert obsession.

They really need to stop with the deserts...or at least make use of it like LESS CLOTHING! They've completely missed the point! haha.gif

--------------------
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................IPB Image
..........................................♥..........................................We've all got a song we were put here to sing ..........................................♥..........................................
+Quote Post
josie927
post Aug 23rd 2010, 4:39 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(yeahyeahyeah85 @ Aug 23rd 2010, 3:52 PM) *

They might think he has a weird desert obsession.

haha.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
idolwatcher_1
post Aug 23rd 2010, 6:44 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Kworb @ Aug 23rd 2010, 8:48 AM) *

Eh there are plenty "real Kris" pictures where he just sits alone with a guitar.

only when he WANTS to be alone with his guitar... wink.gif In reality, Kris is almost never alone, and when he is, it's because he wants some alone time. He's married, he's got close friends and family, a great supporting band that is with him all the time, fans that love and adore him, a job he loves, income that is 7-digits, and even a relationship with God. However, his promotional imagery constantly suggests that he is lonely and depressed... so would you not say that there's a contrast/disconnect between who Kris is in reality and how he's being portrayed in his commercial/promotional material?

QUOTE(Kworb @ Aug 23rd 2010, 8:48 AM) *

The album happens to be pretty depressing, so of course that's the theme they went with in the photoshoot. Photoshoots in general have artists in contemplative states. Also BNS which was 100% Kris is also pretty dark.

So no I don't think they are manufacturing any image. The image just comes with the material released so far. If they'd released WAOMF or AWM as single then I'm sure the video would've been more uplifting.

Carrie Underwood's first album had many songs that could be labelled as "depressing", yet on her album cover, she's looking at you with a smile on her face! So, because his album has some "depressing" songs, he needs to be shown sitting on a bathroom floor or staring out at an empty theater, and never interacting with any other human being in any of his music videos? I guess I'm just not understanding why the majority of his promotional imagery looks like a commercial for Cymbalta. It's like, c'mon! haha.gif Kris didn't rise to fame and become the American Idol because he was a depressed soul who never interacted with anybody.

Promotional imagery shouldn't just promote the material on the album, it should promote the artist who made the album! You don't promote an artist by only displaying them in depressing, introverted poses, and with music videos where they're always in a desert by themselves... and if you do promote them this way, you start making it look as though your artist has only one side to him- a lonely, depressed side... ermm.gif

Perhaps mistake #1 was Jive & Kris choosing too many songs or song themes which could be interpreted as "depressing" or somber, especially, when the album was not titled "Let It Rain" (which would perhaps make more sense considering the album's presumably depressing theme), but instead was self-titled, which you would think would allow for a broader range of song themes.................................

We know there were many songs which did not make the album. There was a song, for example, Kris wrote with Mat Kearney last year called, "Top Of The World", which, based on the title, actually sounds the opposite of depressing, but it didn't sound like Jive wanted that song on the album, even though Kris was very excited about the song and the collaboration after it happened.

In any case, the most depressing song on the album became Kris' 2nd single, even though he had no hand in writing it, and we all know who pushed for that single to be released..................................

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Kworb
post Aug 24th 2010, 3:21 AM
Post #13

Fav. AI6: Blake Lewis
Fav. AI8: Adam Lambert

But a happy album cover is difficult to pull off. It's easier for women. For men it quickly looks cheesy. I mean just look at Archuleta's latest album cover. I'd take Kris's somber one over that any day. Also, brooding = sexy.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ashley
post Aug 24th 2010, 6:25 AM
Post #14

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI12: Kree Harrison

QUOTE(idolwatcher_1 @ Aug 24th 2010, 9:44 AM) *

only when he WANTS to be alone with his guitar... wink.gif In reality, Kris is almost never alone, and when he is, it's because he wants some alone time. He's married, he's got close friends and family, a great supporting band that is with him all the time, fans that love and adore him, a job he loves, income that is 7-digits, and even a relationship with God. However, his promotional imagery constantly suggests that he is lonely and depressed... so would you not say that there's a contrast/disconnect between who Kris is in reality and how he's being portrayed in his commercial/promotional material?

Huh? So what do you want his photoshoots to look like? To always be goofing around with his band even on the album photoshoot?

Carrie Underwood's first album had many songs that could be labelled as "depressing", yet on her album cover, she's looking at you with a smile on her face! So, because his album has some "depressing" songs, he needs to be shown sitting on a bathroom floor or staring out at an empty theater, and never interacting with any other human being in any of his music videos?

"Some Hearts" is depressing? There's only like 2 songs (at most) that are considered sad lmao.gif The whole album is more about growing up and maturing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
idolwatcher_1
post Aug 24th 2010, 7:49 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Kworb @ Aug 24th 2010, 3:21 AM) *

But a happy album cover is difficult to pull off. It's easier for women. For men it quickly looks cheesy. I mean just look at Archuleta's latest album cover. I'd take Kris's somber one over that any day. Also, brooding = sexy.
QUOTE(Ashley @ Aug 24th 2010, 6:25 AM) *

Huh? So what do you want his photoshoots to look like? To always be goofing around with his band even on the album photoshoot?

there were ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES! You don't have to sit Kris on the bathroom floor or gaping out at an empty theater and stick him in a desert alone. You can easily acheive the same level of cheesiness trying to make someone look depressed and alone who isn't that way in real life.............

Exhibit A (you can look sexy or positive without smiling big):

IPB Image

Exhibit B (you can look sexy and "reflective" without showing an empty theater or like he's about to slit his writsts on the bathroom floor, with a simple pose against a wall, just show his face looking at you on top of this shot):

IPB Image

Exhibit C (Kris' smile could be interpreted as "cheesy", but you could just as easily interpret a cover like this as "inviting", "warm personality", "sexy", etc.):

IPB Image

QUOTE(Ashley @ Aug 24th 2010, 6:25 AM) *

"Some Hearts" is depressing? There's only like 2 songs (at most) that are considered sad lmao.gif The whole album is more about growing up and maturing.

Ashley, everyone has their own interpretation of what makes a song "depressing"... it's nothing to get worked up over, trust me. I only find one song on Kris' album to be "depressing", and that's "The Truth" (his 2nd single). Other songs I find to be questioning, but not necessarily declaring that a relationship is over, because the love is clearly still there or he wouldn't want the relationship to still work or last... I don't find that "depressing"... But it's going to be interpreted differently by everyone.

This post has been edited by idolwatcher_1: Aug 24th 2010, 7:51 AM

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ashley
post Aug 24th 2010, 8:02 AM
Post #16

^ LOL I was amused. Far from being worked up haha.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ashley
post Aug 24th 2010, 8:11 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(yeahyeahyeah85 @ Aug 24th 2010, 6:52 AM) *

yes.gif yes.gif I agree with this

--------------------
+Quote Post
HeatherLovesAI
post Aug 24th 2010, 3:47 PM
Post #18

Clay, Bo, Daughtry, Taylor, Elliott, Blake, Cook, Archie.. who had a happy smiling album cover? haha.gif

It's not sad, it's just supposed to be sexy and cool and brooding. I think he's got one of the best photoshoots actually.

--------------------
P2 // SKYLAR // JOSHUA
+Quote Post
x0MiSs_KaY0x
post Aug 26th 2010, 1:48 PM
Post #19

Fav. A18:Kris, Allison, Anoop, Matt

QUOTE(idolwatcher_1 @ Aug 24th 2010, 8:49 AM) *

Exhibit B (you can look sexy and "reflective" without showing an empty theater or like he's about to slit his writsts on the bathroom floor, with a simple pose against a wall, just show his face looking at you on top of this shot):

IPB Image

WHY HAVE I NOT SEEN THIS PICTURE BEFORE?? ARE THERE MORE LIKE THIS?? icecream.gif

This post has been edited by x0MiSs_KaY0x: Aug 26th 2010, 1:48 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
HeatherLovesAI
post Aug 26th 2010, 2:23 PM
Post #20

His chest is so hot shifty.gif

--------------------
P2 // SKYLAR // JOSHUA
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Nov 28th 2014, 4:33 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol