Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

2 Pages V  1 2 >   ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Katie's future success?
amc7304
post Apr 18th 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI10: Pia Toscano
Fav. Favorite AI 12: Angie Miller

I was wondering what is in store for Katie after the show and tour are over. I know that very few contestants from each season ever 'make it' in the music industry, and as far as I can remember, NO ONE WHO FINISHED 8TH has been successful. Unless you count Bucky Covington from Season 5 (which I wouldn't). So what do you think Katie's chances are of:

(1) getting a recording contract
(2) being successful

I think she has the best voice I've heard since Carrie and Kat (IMO Katie's better and I was a HUGE Kat M fan)so I optimistically think she should get a contract and be successful but I'm not sure she will be. My reasons for the uncertainty is 1: too much competition in the market for a newcomer to find a market and 2: her fanbase couldn't even get her past 8th place. What I'm starting to think is that she WILL get a contract BUT it will be similar to Danny Gokey; going country. The fanbases are a lot more loyal and they're the only ones that seem to give new artists a chance for people like Danny and Katie. They are both soulful R&B singers but with a country/bluesy sound that is popular in country today. What are your thoughts. And remember I'm a HUGE Katie fan and think she should have won original.gif

P.S. Her last two recordings DO have a country tone to them, especially 'Baby, What Do You Want Me To Do' That is country honkytonk ready for the radio RIGHT NOW!!!!!! Simon was right she should do country.

This post has been edited by amc7304: Apr 18th 2010, 11:12 AM

--------------------
Angie Miller American Idol 2013
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Apr 18th 2010, 11:06 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

music_junkierules
post Apr 18th 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #2

Group: Blend Artists

Fav. AI12: Kree Harrison

She probably has a better chance of getting a contract and obtaining success if she goes country but from what it sounds like, that is simply not the direction she wants to go. I feel like she sounds the best when she sings stuff like OneRepublic or Sara Bareilles.

--------------------
IPB Image
harmonizer for life.
+Quote Post
NatesHeadbander
post Apr 18th 2010, 4:30 PM
Post #3

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. Band: DMB

Katie doesn't want to do country, but I really do think it is what she would do best in it. It would be so much harder to gain a big fanbase doing R&B than it would doing country. They really do have the most loyal fan bases.

This post has been edited by NatesHeadbander: Apr 18th 2010, 4:31 PM

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
avi:[*]||sig:[*]
+Quote Post
amc7304
post Apr 18th 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(NatesHeadbander @ Apr 18th 2010, 4:30 PM) *

Katie doesn't want to do country, but I really do think it is what she would do best in it. It would be so much harder to gain a big fanbase doing R&B than it would doing country. They really do have the most loyal fan bases.

Remember Danny Gokey scoffed at the country thing too when it was suggested, but they were the most interested (if not the only one), so he went with them to get his foot in the door. Katie wouldn't have to sing cry in your beer country, but country pop, i.e. Taylor Swift, or some of Carrie's has crossed over into the pop world. So whatever gets her onto the music scene. Even Disney if that is who calls.

--------------------
+Quote Post
music_junkierules
post Apr 18th 2010, 5:52 PM
Post #5

Fav. AI12: Kree Harrison

I could hear her singing songs like the more crossover stuff on Carrie's last two albums.

--------------------
IPB Image
harmonizer for life.
+Quote Post
mikeymike717
post Apr 18th 2010, 7:48 PM
Post #6

Fav. AI8: Allison Iraheta
Fav. AI9: Katie Stevens

I think she will be fine. Jive might snatch her up seeing as they go after the younger contestants and a lot of people were kind of shocked by her elimination. I just hope if they pick her up, they promote her and don't let her have to basically promote herself like they have done with Allison.

--------------------
+Quote Post
amc7304
post Apr 18th 2010, 8:05 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(mikeymike717 @ Apr 18th 2010, 7:48 PM) *

I think she will be fine. Jive might snatch her up seeing as they go after the younger contestants and a lot of people were kind of shocked by her elimination. I just hope if they pick her up, they promote her and don't let her have to basically promote herself like they have done with Allison.

You may be right about Jive wanting her, but I pray she has more options than them. Jive has been WORTHLESS regarding promotion. Maybe RCA, preferably Arista. But I'll take any of them. original.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
NatesHeadbander
post Apr 18th 2010, 8:08 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(amc7304 @ Apr 18th 2010, 9:05 PM) *

You may be right about Jive wanting her, but I pray she has more options than them. Jive has been WORTHLESS regarding promotion. Maybe RCA, preferably Arista. But I'll take any of them. original.gif

I really don't care who signs her. As long as they promote her really well, let her make an amazing album, and she goes on tour and gets really successful then I'm fine with anyone who signs her grin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
xAriel
post Apr 18th 2010, 9:25 PM
Post #9

I think Katie could do decently in a few different genres. There's country, ala Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood. There's pop, ala David Archuleta or Sara Barielles. There's more R&B pop, like Jordin Sparks. Or more soulful pop, like John Mayer.

Either way, I simply want an album full of songs that Katie is happy with. wub.gif

This post has been edited by xAriel: Apr 18th 2010, 9:28 PM

--------------------
tumblr || flickr || journal || twitter || last.fm
Patient. Fine. Balanced. Kind. || LFC. SSFC. FCB.
+Quote Post
blakerboy
post Apr 18th 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(amc7304 @ Apr 18th 2010, 9:05 PM) *

no, no no! no RCA or A*****;(dont even want to name it). horrible promoters.
Jive all the way. They are in contact with better producers (hello, max martin).
adam and allison are both on jive.

--------------------
+Quote Post
andrew_lavigne
post Apr 18th 2010, 11:35 PM
Post #11

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI7: Michael Johns

I want her to do jazz, although that won't sell for her. no.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
NatesHeadbander
post Apr 19th 2010, 5:52 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(blakerboy @ Apr 19th 2010, 12:32 AM) *

no, no no! no RCA or A*****;(dont even want to name it). horrible promoters.
Jive all the way. They are in contact with better producers (hello, max martin).

Isn't Jordin Sparks also with Jive?
thumbsup.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
StarrySky892
post Apr 19th 2010, 8:01 AM
Post #13

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AI9: Tim Urban
Fav. SYTYCD8: Jordan Casanova

QUOTE(xAriel @ Apr 18th 2010, 10:25 PM) *

I think Katie could do decently in a few different genres. There's country, ala Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood. There's pop, ala David Archuleta or Sara Barielles. There's more R&B pop, like Jordin Sparks. Or more soulful pop, like John Mayer.

Either way, I simply want an album full of songs that Katie is happy with. wub.gif
Yeah, pretty much this!

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image
the ones that love us never really leave us.
s8: jordan. chris. jess. tadd.
+Quote Post
mikeymike717
post Apr 19th 2010, 8:03 AM
Post #14

Fav. AI9: Katie Stevens

QUOTE(NatesHeadbander @ Apr 19th 2010, 6:52 AM) *

Isn't Jordin Sparks also with Jive?
thumbsup.gif

Yes and Archie. I think Idol missed a big oppurtunity with Katie, she has that kind of look that is very commercial which would make her easy to market.

--------------------
+Quote Post
NatesHeadbander
post Apr 19th 2010, 4:54 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(mikeymike717 @ Apr 19th 2010, 9:03 AM) *

Yes and Archie. I think Idol missed a big oppurtunity with Katie, she has that kind of look that is very commercial which would make her easy to market.

Yea that's why I was extremely suprised she was voted off. If AI wanted a girl winner this year that could actually sell, then they just let her go last week. The two girls left really aren't that marketable

--------------------
+Quote Post
xAriel
post Apr 19th 2010, 4:56 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(blakerboy @ Apr 18th 2010, 9:32 PM) *

Last time I checked, Adam was not with Jive. haha.gif

Archie, Jordin and Allison are though. yes.gif wub.gif

--------------------
tumblr || flickr || journal || twitter || last.fm
Patient. Fine. Balanced. Kind. || LFC. SSFC. FCB.
+Quote Post
Heretic
post May 27th 2010, 7:01 AM
Post #17

My opinion of her potential success has not changed one bit since the first time I heard her.

If she tries to go for the hit songs on modern radio, she will fail. The Idol process gave her the dumbest advice I've ever heard, because they only think top 40 pop charts.

She should be a female crooner. Don't worry about the pop or country charts. Go after that MASSIVE adult contemporary crowd, doing kind of a Michael Buble, Celine Dion type thing. Big choruses, sweeping emotion...but grounded in an oldschool approach. I like the jazz recommendation as well. She's young and pretty and could be absolutely huge in this market because she is so different, and that market is generally ignored but is potentially huge. Instead of trying to be one of thousands of new pop/country singers, she could carve out a large following doing something few are trying....and honestly, I think that the standards are more to her style anyway.

And I've said it a hundred times...a Christmas album is where her money is...those can be huge sellers for years after their release, and fits her innocence and natural ability to nail the standards. So yeah...her first three albums should be a Christmas cd, an originals cd mixing big sappy vocals with traditional sounds, and a covers album of old standards.

While pop acts get all the attention and magazine covers, acts like I just described sell out huge arenas and sell tons of cds without all of the hype. Being an Idol contestant with some pop crossover potential, she'd likely get some hype...meaning larger than average sales for her genre...and big money and big tours.

Or she can release a pop/country album and fade into obscurity.

--------------------
+Quote Post
NatesHeadbander
post May 27th 2010, 9:16 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(Heretic @ May 27th 2010, 8:01 AM) *

My opinion of her potential success has not changed one bit since the first time I heard her.

If she tries to go for the hit songs on modern radio, she will fail. The Idol process gave her the dumbest advice I've ever heard, because they only think top 40 pop charts.

She should be a female crooner. Don't worry about the pop or country charts. Go after that MASSIVE adult contemporary crowd, doing kind of a Michael Buble, Celine Dion type thing. Big choruses, sweeping emotion...but grounded in an oldschool approach. I like the jazz recommendation as well. She's young and pretty and could be absolutely huge in this market because she is so different, and that market is generally ignored but is potentially huge. Instead of trying to be one of thousands of new pop/country singers, she could carve out a large following doing something few are trying....and honestly, I think that the standards are more to her style anyway.

And I've said it a hundred times...a Christmas album is where her money is...those can be huge sellers for years after their release, and fits her innocence and natural ability to nail the standards. So yeah...her first three albums should be a Christmas cd, an originals cd mixing big sappy vocals with traditional sounds, and a covers album of old standards.

While pop acts get all the attention and magazine covers, acts like I just described sell out huge arenas and sell tons of cds without all of the hype. Being an Idol contestant with some pop crossover potential, she'd likely get some hype...meaning larger than average sales for her genre...and big money and big tours.

Or she can release a pop/country album and fade into obscurity.

Wow. This actually sounds like an amazing idea thumbsup.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
**aUgUsTo**
post May 27th 2010, 9:28 AM
Post #19

Fav. AI5: Kellie Pickler
Fav. Group: SNSD

I also agree with Heretic about the MB, Celine type of thing. yes.gif
But it is so hard to find a label willing the artist to do that. closedeyes.gif

--------------------

♥ Jessica Jung ♥ Kim Taeyeon ♥ IU ♥ Im YoonA ♥
+Quote Post
Heretic
post May 27th 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #20

The problem is that labels would try to push her for a pop career, and I'm telling you, she WILL fail if that happens.

What she should do is getting up with a producer to record an album. She'll have some money from the Idol stuff...and she could probably find someone in this field who rarely handles young singers with tons of publicity, and she could likely get someone on points.

So, record a Christmas album and shop it around for distribution. This works better for her because she can get a better financial deal than if she went all in with a label. The Christmas cd would likely be one of the big display items around the holidays on Best Buy endcaps, and they'd sell tons of them. The success of that would give her more stroke to work out a record deal for her original songs, and she could connect with good songwriters and such. Then she'd have plenty of time to work on that cd for release the following year.

It's a goldmine, I'm telling you.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Oct 21st 2014, 6:56 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol