Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why doesn't David Archeleta sing the whole "Imagine?"
smilefountain
post Apr 7th 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Is there a reason David Archuleta cuts out the 2nd verse in "Imagine" that includes "no religion too." This is a famous lyric- it seems disrespectful. How can time restraints be a factor in a results show as padded as this one? There a plenty of cheesy McCartney tunes he can chop up and mangle and no one would know the difference, it does a dishonor to Lennon to take out lyrics, which is a shame because he actually sings it well.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Apr 7th 2010, 10:52 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

Clarkson_Is_Life
post Apr 7th 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #2

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI7: David Archuleta

I think it's because he doesn't want to.

ETA: Also he doesn't wanna imagine there's no religion because it goes against his faith. Brian Mansfield wrote a great summary about it... I'll look for it and post it.

From Brian Mansfield:

"I've always thought David Archuleta's "Imagine" was one of the riskiest choices I've seen on Idol. It's an iconic song with a simple melody and a message that is considered both sacred and profane by different groups of people. There were so many ways that performance could've backfired on David. Beatles fans could have turned on him for having the audacity to change the melody so much -- or to simply be 17 and sing it. If he'd sung the first verse about imagining there's no Heaven, he probably never would have won back large segments of the show's more conservative watchers. But starting it on the second verse send the message that he wasn't willing to sing that first verse -- even though he had time constraints as an excuse -- and that could have caused problems, too. The judges might have thought it was too old -- or too weighty -- for him. There were so many reasons that performance might not hae worked -- and the fact that David sang and smiled his way right past every last one of them made him one of that season's instant favorites. "

This post has been edited by Clarkson_Is_Life: Apr 7th 2010, 10:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ITTO
post Apr 7th 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Clarkson_Is_Life @ Apr 7th 2010, 9:57 PM) *

I think it's because he doesn't want to.

ETA: Also he doesn't wanna imagine there's no religion because it goes against his faith. Brian Mansfield wrote a great summary about it... I'll look for it and post it.

From Brian Mansfield:

"I've always thought David Archuleta's "Imagine" was one of the riskiest choices I've seen on Idol. It's an iconic song with a simple melody and a message that is considered both sacred and profane by different groups of people. There were so many ways that performance could've backfired on David. Beatles fans could have turned on him for having the audacity to change the melody so much -- or to simply be 17 and sing it. If he'd sung the first verse about imagining there's no Heaven, he probably never would have won back large segments of the show's more conservative watchers. But starting it on the second verse send the message that he wasn't willing to sing that first verse -- even though he had time constraints as an excuse -- and that could have caused problems, too. The judges might have thought it was too old -- or too weighty -- for him. There were so many reasons that performance might not hae worked -- and the fact that David sang and smiled his way right past every last one of them made him one of that season's instant favorites. "

No, it was entirely a time issue. David has sung the entire song many times before. He picked the 1st verse because it's the 1st verse and he has often stated that the 3rd verse is his favorite.

If you go to YT, you can find many performances he has done with all 3 verses. Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdzFjNNuWPg

Also, David told Brian Mansfield in an interview just a few weeks ago that he has no problem singing the "no religion" line:

"The third verse is my favorite one. Not everybody focuses on what the song’s about — they just focus on those first words and obsess about ‘how bad it is.’ I’m a religious person. I felt like this song meant more than that, and I wasn’t going to let that distraction get in the way."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/id...ts-on-imagine/1

This post has been edited by ITTO: Apr 8th 2010, 12:01 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
smilefountain
post Apr 8th 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(ITTO @ Apr 7th 2010, 11:55 PM) *

No, it was entirely a time issue. David has sung the entire song many times before. He picked the 1st verse because it's the 1st verse and he has often stated that the 3rd verse is his favorite.

If you go to YT, you can find many performances he has done with all 3 verses. Like this one:

Also, David told Brian Mansfield in an interview just a few weeks ago that he has no problem singing the "no religion" line.

Thanks- that explains it and he is not doing it for some other reason. He sings it well and it's good to know. heart.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ITTO
post Apr 8th 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(smilefountain @ Apr 7th 2010, 11:01 PM) *

Thanks- that explains it and he is not doing it for some other reason. He sings it well and it's good to know. heart.gif

YW original.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Brittx
post Apr 8th 2010, 12:09 AM
Post #6

Fav. AI5: Elliott Yamin

QUOTE(ITTO @ Apr 7th 2010, 9:55 PM) *

I love that version wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bluemargay
post Apr 8th 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #7

I also think they might have cut it down for time purposes. They almost went over tonight. Having 4 performances on 1 show was a bad idea.

--------------------
+Quote Post
JORDAN_FAN
post Apr 8th 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #8

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AJ:JordanMcCoy AI3:JohnStevens

QUOTE(ITTO @ Apr 8th 2010, 12:55 AM) *

Also, David told Brian Mansfield in an interview just a few weeks ago that he has no problem singing the "no religion" line:

"The third verse is my favorite one. Not everybody focuses on what the song’s about — they just focus on those first words and obsess about ‘how bad it is.’ I’m a religious person. I felt like this song meant more than that, and I wasn’t going to let that distraction get in the way."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/id...ts-on-imagine/1

Word. original.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Apr 8th 2010, 1:06 AM
Post #9

Rest In Peace Dad

Fav. AI12: Kree Harrison
Fav. AI13: Sam Woolf
Fav. Australian: Michael Johns

QUOTE(JORDAN_FAN @ Apr 7th 2010, 10:47 PM) *

Word. original.gif

yes.gif

--------------------
REST IN PEACE x MICHAEL JOHNS x 10/20/78 - 08/01/14 / REST IN PEACE x SIMONE BATTLE x 06/17/89 - 09/05/14IPB ImageFOREVER IN MY HEART x I LOVE YOU ALWAYS x REST IN PEACE DAD x 3/22/69 - 7/11/12
+Quote Post
sam1346
post Apr 8th 2010, 1:35 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(ITTO @ Apr 7th 2010, 10:02 PM) *

YW original.gif

Good to see you. original.gif

--------------------
Get The Other Side of Down from Amazon or David's Official Website or iTunes .
Also Forevermore is available on iTunes now.
+Quote Post
soundscene
post Apr 8th 2010, 2:08 AM
Post #11

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. Idol Ever: David Archuleta

Yeah, if you watch a youtube of him singing the whole thing, it's 4 minutes long. Rihanna's and Jason Derulo's performances were both a little over 3 minutes as was David's 2-verse version of Imagine. I suspect that guest performers are told to cut their songs down to under 3 and a half minutes based on time constraints.

--------------------
+Quote Post
x__Chenny
post Apr 8th 2010, 7:14 AM
Post #12

Fav. AI7: Jason Castro
Fav. AI8: Anoop Desai
Fav. AI9: TylerGrady & AlexLambert

I think he didn't want to sing it.
If you go waaay back, S7, he sang it before and I think it was Randy who asked why he didn't sang the whole song. He said something about the 'No Religion' part.

Well, something like that. original.gif

--------------------
Formspring | Twitter
IPB Image
AI: Castro. Desai. Grady. Lambert. Urban. <3
Peace. Love. Jason Mraz. ;)
+Quote Post
Sams
post Apr 8th 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #13

Fav. AI9: Alex Lambert
Fav. American Idol 9: Lee DeWyze

QUOTE(x__Chenny @ Apr 8th 2010, 8:14 AM) *

If you go waaay back, S7, he sang it before and I think it was Randy who asked why he didn't sang the whole song. He said something about the 'No Religion' part.

No, he didn't. He actually said he sang the 3rd verse because that's his favourite. As many people already posted, he has sung the enitre song many times.

--------------------
IPB Image
-sig:dagulz-
+Quote Post
ILuvAnthony
post Apr 8th 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(x__Chenny @ Apr 8th 2010, 8:14 AM) *

No, he never said that. haha.

--------------------
<3 Phillip Phillips winner of AI <3
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
sig-b_fly26 "If people don't like it, it's cool. If they do, it's cool too" - PP
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Sep 18th 2014, 8:47 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol