Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

80 Pages V « < 78 79 80   ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Lee Times, News articles about Lee
taylortriumphs
post Mar 23rd 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #1581

Group: Members

Lee DeWyze: Some people take pictures, I write songs
March 23, 2011 ι Jarett Wieselman

I'll be honest with you -- I was rooting for Crystal Bowersox to win "American Idol" last season. I was just so taken with her uniquely diverse sound and assumed that Lee DeWyze was a one-trick pony. Mistakenly so, as the winner's first album, "Live It Up," has proved to me over the countless spins it has warranted since hitting shelves in November.

Channeling the best parts of John Mayer and Taylor Swift (Lee's musicality is matched by his superior songwriting) has resulted in one of the most dynamic debuts from an "Idol" grad to date. I caught up with Lee following his return to the "American" stage last week to find out what life has been like since winning TV's most popular reality show and why "Live It Up" only scratches the surface of what he plans to do professionally.

PopWrap: How was it returning to the 'Idol" stage last week?
Lee DeWyze: It was great Ė one of the best parts that people might not think about was getting to see the crew again. I was pretty tight with those guys so it was great to see them and performing on that stage again was great, especially doing my own music, which was a huge thing for me.

PW: The performance was great -- did you like it better without Simon Cowell there, staring you down?
Lee: [laughs] Yea, itís definitely a plus. But I canít say that he wasnít a good guy. I loved having him on my season and heís the hardest of any of them. I think the judges are doing a fine job this year but it was definitely a different experience.

PW: Is "Live It Up" the album you always dreamed of making?
Lee: I donít think any artist puts out an album they consider ďthe ones.Ē If anything, I put out the album I wanted to put out my first time out. I have a bigger picture in mind. I donít look at it as the only CD Iíll put out, I definitely plan to make more music and keep improving on my sound. Iím really happy with the whole thing, and Iím loving the new single. The meaning behind it is important and I really connect to it.

PW: You wrote almost every song on the album, was that a non-negotiable for you?
Lee: Yes and no. I'm the new kid on the block, so you can never walk into any new situation Ė whether itís a job, a school or the first time on a major label Ė and think youíre the smartest. You need to take direction. But at the same time when I feel connected to the songs I perform them better, I just feel better about them in general. I look at each song as a kid -- you write them, let them out of the nest and hope the best for each of them. You kind of lose control over how and what they do, so you have to just do your best at making the best song possible and sing it from an honest place. Thatís all you can do.

PW: With the "songs are children" idea, I know this is a bit like "Sophie's Choice," but do you have a favorite song on the album?
Lee: I think that itís between ďBeautiful Like You,Ē ďDear Isabelle" and "Sweet SerendipityĒ -- but I think the underdog of the album is ďA Song About Love.Ē Thatís one I wrote from a very honest place Ė itís a true story, most of my songs are, but thatís a special one to me.

PW: "Dear Isabelle" is also about a real person?
Lee: Yea, it is. Itís about someone Iíve had a relationship with in the past. A lot of people see it as a really sad song, but for me itís kind of a memory. Some people take pictures, I write songs.

PW: Taylor Swift has gotten some flack for using her music to put exes on blast, what's your thought on that?
Lee: Well, Isabelle isnít really her name, itís just one I used Ė and I think everyone has an Isabelle in their life at one point. Itís a song about wondering where they are today and looking back, wishing you could say all the things you didnít. I would never put anyone on blast or try to make a point to one specific person. My music is really about relating to a common experience and I think thatís how the whole album came together for me Ė itís about examining love from all different directions.

PW: Your song "Brooklyn Bridge" opens with the line, "Things like this don't happen to me, everything used to be so ordinary" -- now, that song is obviously about a girl, but do you think it's also true of your life since audition for "Idol?"
Lee: Oh, definitely. I knew that when I wrote it too. I was in NY and thought that the most romantic thing in the world would be dancing with the one you love on the Brooklyn Bridge, so it kind of became this really cool love song. Iíve had so many people tell me thatís "their song" and I love hearing that. I love knowing that people are connecting to my lyrics, my music and me.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/popwrap/lee_...daYM9VdfoagQNPK

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Mar 23rd 2011, 12:28 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

leeyvic
post Mar 23rd 2011, 7:21 PM
Post #1582

QUOTE(taylortriumphs @ Mar 24th 2011, 1:28 AM) *

Lee DeWyze: Some people take pictures, I write songs
March 23, 2011 ι Jarett Wieselman

I'll be honest with you -- I was rooting for Crystal Bowersox to win "American Idol" last season. I was just so taken with her uniquely diverse sound and assumed that Lee DeWyze was a one-trick pony. Mistakenly so, as the winner's first album, "Live It Up," has proved to me over the countless spins it has warranted since hitting shelves in November.

Channeling the best parts of John Mayer and Taylor Swift (Lee's musicality is matched by his superior songwriting) has resulted in one of the most dynamic debuts from an "Idol" grad to date. I caught up with Lee following his return to the "American" stage last week to find out what life has been like since winning TV's most popular reality show and why "Live It Up" only scratches the surface of what he plans to do professionally.

PopWrap: How was it returning to the 'Idol" stage last week?
Lee DeWyze: It was great Ė one of the best parts that people might not think about was getting to see the crew again. I was pretty tight with those guys so it was great to see them and performing on that stage again was great, especially doing my own music, which was a huge thing for me.

PW: The performance was great -- did you like it better without Simon Cowell there, staring you down?
Lee: [laughs] Yea, itís definitely a plus. But I canít say that he wasnít a good guy. I loved having him on my season and heís the hardest of any of them. I think the judges are doing a fine job this year but it was definitely a different experience.

PW: Is "Live It Up" the album you always dreamed of making?
Lee: I donít think any artist puts out an album they consider ďthe ones.Ē If anything, I put out the album I wanted to put out my first time out. I have a bigger picture in mind. I donít look at it as the only CD Iíll put out, I definitely plan to make more music and keep improving on my sound. Iím really happy with the whole thing, and Iím loving the new single. The meaning behind it is important and I really connect to it.

PW: You wrote almost every song on the album, was that a non-negotiable for you?
Lee: Yes and no. I'm the new kid on the block, so you can never walk into any new situation Ė whether itís a job, a school or the first time on a major label Ė and think youíre the smartest. You need to take direction. But at the same time when I feel connected to the songs I perform them better, I just feel better about them in general. I look at each song as a kid -- you write them, let them out of the nest and hope the best for each of them. You kind of lose control over how and what they do, so you have to just do your best at making the best song possible and sing it from an honest place. Thatís all you can do.

PW: With the "songs are children" idea, I know this is a bit like "Sophie's Choice," but do you have a favorite song on the album?
Lee: I think that itís between ďBeautiful Like You,Ē ďDear Isabelle" and "Sweet SerendipityĒ -- but I think the underdog of the album is ďA Song About Love.Ē Thatís one I wrote from a very honest place Ė itís a true story, most of my songs are, but thatís a special one to me.

PW: "Dear Isabelle" is also about a real person?
Lee: Yea, it is. Itís about someone Iíve had a relationship with in the past. A lot of people see it as a really sad song, but for me itís kind of a memory. Some people take pictures, I write songs.

PW: Taylor Swift has gotten some flack for using her music to put exes on blast, what's your thought on that?
Lee: Well, Isabelle isnít really her name, itís just one I used Ė and I think everyone has an Isabelle in their life at one point. Itís a song about wondering where they are today and looking back, wishing you could say all the things you didnít. I would never put anyone on blast or try to make a point to one specific person. My music is really about relating to a common experience and I think thatís how the whole album came together for me Ė itís about examining love from all different directions.

PW: Your song "Brooklyn Bridge" opens with the line, "Things like this don't happen to me, everything used to be so ordinary" -- now, that song is obviously about a girl, but do you think it's also true of your life since audition for "Idol?"
Lee: Oh, definitely. I knew that when I wrote it too. I was in NY and thought that the most romantic thing in the world would be dancing with the one you love on the Brooklyn Bridge, so it kind of became this really cool love song. Iíve had so many people tell me thatís "their song" and I love hearing that. I love knowing that people are connecting to my lyrics, my music and me.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/popwrap/lee_...daYM9VdfoagQNPK

i super love "a song about love"....i can relate to that..i love him wub.gif so much

--------------------
IPB Image
LEE DEWYZE-HALEY REINHART-ELISE TESTONE-KREE HARRISON-LAUREN JAUREGUI
+Quote Post
taylortriumphs
post Mar 24th 2011, 1:20 AM
Post #1583

OK! Interview: Reigning 'American Idol' Winner Lee DeWyze
March 23rd, 2011 5:12 pm / Author: Rana Meyer

After winning American Idol last season, Lee DeWyze has been quite busy for the past nine months between recording, touring and promoting his debut album, Live It Up. Lee returned to the Idol stage last week to perform his new single, 'Beautiful Like You'. We caught up with Lee to talk about his new song, his touring plans and who his favorites are on the new season!

How was it being on Idol last night?
It was great. A lot of fans came out and they had signs, it was cool. To be on that stage, not as a contestant, but as an artist playing my own music was great. Being up there and playing the single, it was a good time.

How has the feedback been since the performance?
It's great. People contacting me about how much they love it. I really like the song and I am glad people just enjoyed the performance. I want to show people that what I did on the show isn't what I am doing as an artist.

Did you get to hang out with the judges?
I got to see Jennifer Lopez again. I had met her before. Me and Steven Tyler talked for a little bit. He sang me a couple of notes of his new single coming out, which was cool. It was pretty awesome. It was surreal.

Did you get to catch up with Randy Jackson and Ryan Seacrest?
Yeah! With Randy, every time I see him, he is like, "Let's get together, man!" It's great to hear that from him. He's such a cool guy.

How were the contestants?
I got to go upstairs before they went out there and they had a lot of questions. I was in their position and one day, they will be in my position. I know what they are going through and it was cool to give them a little advice. Me and Casey Abrams got to talk for a minute. He's a really cool guy, I liked him a lot. He is definitely the kind of guy I would jam with. And I think that Pia Toscano is great. There are some great contestants this year. I think any of them could be successful, but I think right now those two have really stood out to me. And Haley Reinhart has a lot of potential. Sheís young but she has a really great blues sound going.

What made you choose "Beautiful Like You" as your next single?
It's really what's it about and what it stands for. It's a plea for someone to open their eyes. It's an encouraging song to remind people that as hard as things may seem, there is always better things out there for you. Itís just about opening your eyes to that.

Will you do a video for it?
There is talk of doing a video for it, we're going to try to. The main focus right now is to get out there and perform the single. And if we do a video, I'm sure we'll get it out there soon. But right now, it is about the single and just getting out there and playing.

Do you have any tour plans?
We have a bunch of one-offs coming up, a bunch of university shows. It's going to be fun. We're definitely getting a real tour together and the goal is to get out there by June or July. I just want to be out there playing.

What have you learned as you have done live shows so far?
I have actually found that the more and more I do, the easier it gets. I just go out there and sing my songs the way they were written. It's very easy for me to get emotionally involved in a song when I am performing it. I think it comes across as very honest.

Were you bummed that you didnít write the new single?
No! Music is open to interpretation no matter how you look at it. I definitely heard something in that song that I knew would be great. It's something that I would have written myself.

Do you still talk to people from your season?
I still keep in contact with a few of them. They are all doing their own thing. You make friends along the way. Some people you make friends with and some people you don't. I hold the relationships close to me that mean something to me.

Have you hung out with anyone recently?
I see Andrew Garcia sometimes. I've seen Katie Stevens a few times. And Big Mike. But I've been so busy.

Have you played shows with other Idol winners?
I played a show with David Cook in Napa. I played a show with Kris Allen. I got to really hang with both of them. They are great guys. David is a cool dude. I think Kris is a talented songwriter and he is a good singer. He's done great for himself. I really respect those guys. But we're all different. We've all got different sounds and different vibes. It's easy to compare when we all have dark hair and we all play the guitar. But weíre not the only three guys in the world that have dark hair and play the guitar [laughs]. If anyone really took the time to listen to our music, they'd see that we are completely different artists with completely different sound. They're both talented guys, they're great, but I am just doing my thing.

Has your life changed since you won?
No, not really at all. No, I am just kidding [laughs]. It's definitely been different. Getting up every day and not going to a job that I hate and getting to do things like this and prepare for shows. That was my goal as a kid and thatís my goal now. I've never really happy with where I'm at, I am always reaching for more. I just want to do this for the rest of my life. I will do whatever it takes to make that happen.

Do you get recognized everywhere you go?
Yeah, I do. It depends. I drove cross-country with my brother recently and we stopped in this small town in New Mexico. The population was maybe 800. I stopped at a gas station and the lady behind the counter recognized me. I was like, "Wow, cool." It's crazy. I will be in L.A. and get noticed, and especially when I go home to Chicago. It doesn't bother me too much. A lot of people say that it's what you asked for. It's not what I asked for, I just want to do music, but it definitely comes with it. And it's encouraging, that people out there are interested in you and they liked the music. That's a great feeling. They're the reason I am doing this and they are the reason I keep doing it.

There is a difference between people who want to be famous and others who just want to be musicians?
If you want to be famous for doing nothing, then you can go make a reality TV show about going out and drinking and doing nothing. That's just wanting to be famous and that's great, you can make a great living off of that. I'm trying to make a great career and a life for myself. I love playing, I love being out there performing for the fans. It's like a drug and it's one I'll keep taking. It's just my passion and what I love to do.

How do you like the Twitter experience?
I was never a big social networking guy before all of this. In the 70s and 80s, if you want to know what your favorite band is doing, you bought the album and bought any articles. I remember growing up and I was a big Pearl Jam fan. If you wanted to know what they're doing, you ask around. Now it's as simple as Madonna is going out for coffee. It's a different experience, but that's the age we're in now. It's not necessarily a bad or good thing. It's just another outlet to connect to fans and the people who are interested in the music. I want to keep the fans happy. I will do whatever that takes. I love to keep in contact with the fans.

http://www.okmagazine.com/2011/03/ok-inter...ner-lee-dewyze/

This post has been edited by taylortriumphs: Mar 24th 2011, 1:25 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
taylortriumphs
post Apr 5th 2011, 4:01 AM
Post #1584

Lee DeWyze Q&A: EW talks to the 'American Idol' champ about this year's batch, what he's up to, and defending his season
by Joseph Brannigan Lynch

Itís been almost one year since former paint salesman Lee DeWyze became the ninth victor of American Idolóand the last winner crowned with crotchety Simon Cowell piloting Americaís top-rated TV show.

After DeWyze performed his latest single ďBeautiful Like YouĒ for the new panel of Idol judges a few weeks ago, Live It Up returned to the Top 100 albums chart. Currently on a lengthy tour, the 25-year-old Illini spoke with us about his favorite singers from this season, how his life has changed, and what he has to say to those who criticized his season.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: You recently performed your new song on Idol. What was it like returning to that stage?
LEE DEWYZE: There was definitely a sense of going back as a musician and not worrying about being judged. I mean youíre always being judged, which is fine, but it was more or less like playing a gig as opposed to trying to be accepted by a panel of judges. Much more relaxed. It wasnít like whatever song I sang would send me home: I was just there to play and have a good time.

How do you feel about all the changes in your life?
Working a job I love is mentally less stressful than punching in a clock everyday, but itís a lot busier. There are a lot of things I didnít worry about before that I do now. Itís sometimes rushed, but I get to wake up and do what I love, so itís a great change.

Have you been watching the new season?
A little bit. Weíve been on the road a lot lately, but Iíve caught a few episodes, I think the judges are doing a great job. Itís definitely different without Simon Cowell, itís got a different vibe.

Who are your favorites so far?
I think Pia [Toscano] and Casey Abrams, those would be my two. And Iíd throw Haley [Reinhart] in there, I think those three are very talented. But I think theyíre all great, itís going to be good to see what they all do.

Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez have a more positive judging style. Do you wish you had had that experience?
In my season, there was never a day that went by where they went easy on us, ever. I think itís a different feel, it would have been nicer to have more positive feedback than negative, but at the end of the day it worked out well for me, so Iím okay with it.

Do you keep in touch with fellow finalists Crystal, Casey, or anyone?
Nope. Not so much. I think weíre allÖ Iíve been so busy. I talked to Crystal a long while back and I wish them the best of luck, but Iím really focusing on not riding that Idol wave too long. Making real music and really getting out there and make a name for myself and not just be the American Idol contest winner.

When people criticize season nine as being a little dull, what do you think of that? Does it bother you?
I mean, Iíve heard people say this and that about it, and as the winner of my season itís almost like Iím the spokesman for the subject. And I donít see whyÖ whether the ratings were up or down or the contestants were this or that, I just went on the show and did my thing. If people think the season wasnít good or they didnít like it or whatever, then they should audition and try it out for themselves and see how it goes.

How much harder was Idol than you expected?
It was 100 percent different than I thought it would be. It was putting yourself in a position where you had to compromise sometimes what you might want to do to do what they required you to do. But for me, I love music. It was the main reason I went out for the show and I tried my best every week and it worked out. Itís very easy for people to look at ratings or albums sales or whatever and make their judgments based on those things. Youíre either a fan of television or a fan of music and I think itís very easy to be a critic on the other side, but itís not up to me to make sure everybody in America watches American Idol or votes. I get up there and play my songs and do my thing. I loved my experience, Iím very supportive of the show and what it does for people and artists, but I canít make people like what they donít like. Whether people like it or donít, I do it for the fans that are supportive. And I try to be appreciative of my fans. Iím just gonna keep doing what I do.

Where would you like to see your career in five years?
Impossible for me to tell, but I just want to be making music and be out there the rest of my life. Essentially, the reason I do it is because I love playing and I love writing and recording, and so far Iíve been able to do that. In fact I just wrote one on the road and weíve already been playing it, itís called ďPretty Eyes.Ē Writing on the road is a passion of mine.

You recorded two albums before going on Idol. How much different was it working on a record with your Idol victory behind you?
My mindset was different when writing the songs. When Idol is over, thereís a very quick turnaround: you gotta write all these songs in a very short amount of time, and you really have to get them right. It was a process of nonstop writing, writing, writing. Although I definitely had a couple song ideas from before Idol, and I brought them to the table and they came out well. Iím happy with how the album turned outóI wouldnít change much about it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
leeyvic
post Apr 5th 2011, 7:47 PM
Post #1585

QUOTE(taylortriumphs @ Apr 5th 2011, 5:01 PM) *

Lee DeWyze Q&A: EW talks to the 'American Idol' champ about this year's batch, what he's up to, and defending his season
by Joseph Brannigan Lynch

When people criticize season nine as being a little dull, what do you think of that? Does it bother you?
I mean, Iíve heard people say this and that about it, and as the winner of my season itís almost like Iím the spokesman for the subject. And I donít see whyÖ whether the ratings were up or down or the contestants were this or that, I just went on the show and did my thing. If people think the season wasnít good or they didnít like it or whatever, then they should audition and try it out for themselves and see how it goes.

thumbsup.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
LEE DEWYZE-HALEY REINHART-ELISE TESTONE-KREE HARRISON-LAUREN JAUREGUI
+Quote Post

80 Pages V « < 78 79 80
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Oct 24th 2014, 4:35 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol