Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

32 Pages V « < 25 26 27 28 29 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
DiFan
post Mar 10th 2012, 2:07 AM
Post #521

Group: Members

Fav. Team: Boston Red Sox

The Effie Shuffle! haha.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Mar 10th 2012, 2:07 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

wild.hope
post Mar 10th 2012, 3:07 AM
Post #522

Group Icon

Group: Neurox Media Moderators

QUOTE(DiAnAmItE4LiFe @ Mar 9th 2012, 10:51 PM) *

Okay, kind of a long review/random thoughts after Mockingjay:

- Maybe it's better that I knew it was coming, idk. Finnick's death was weird for me, I didn't cry (which I did a few times during this book), I guess because of HOW it happened. I feel like his death deserved more attention or something. I was also pretty upset about Boggs.

- I've also seen people complaining about how Katniss was always drugged or acting crazy throughout the entire book, or she was moping around. I didn't see it that way at all. Obviously, some of this is going to happen anyway when you think about everything she's been through. Mentally, how COULD she keep it all together? She's still able to hold herself together pretty well though, especially when you compare her to Annie, Finnick (in parts), Peeta, etc. It's not like she's sitting around doing nothing the entire book. They've all been through a LOT, and it was much more realistic with all the PTSD stuff.

- I'm still unsure about the VERY last part. I'm torn. I kinda wish there had been more about Peeta's recovery and how he and Katniss grow back together, instead of rushing through it in like one paragraph... but I sorta like it too, because I didn't want it to seem like the romance angle was the whole point of the series, because it wasn't at all. And then I kinda wish there had been more dialogue between them, because it just felt so SUDDEN. But the dialogue that we did get (I'm talking about the very last line) was perfect. Oh and I had also been spoiled when it came to that, I just didn't know the context really... so I was actually kinda bummed that it wasn't a total surprise to me. But even though it wasn't, it was still amazing. Then I cried for like... idk a really long time, okay. I'm unsure about the epilogue. I'll have to think about it more.

- I also don't think that Katniss has ~lost her soul at the end, only has kids because Peeta wanted them, didn't really care about anything anymore, etc. Maybe it came across that way, but I'm not buying it. If she was such a zombie all the time, idk how she and Peeta would've worked out. They're both left with scars from everything that's happened to them, but they get through it together. Life isn't completely hopeless. Katniss can still see the good in people, and she'll teach her kids to do the same. It was really beautiful actually, but of course sad too.

- Ugh I guess I do wish the very end hadn't been rushed so much, but I really did love this book, unlike a lot of people.
AND I'M DONE. fear.gif I just needed to rant.

I LOVE reading peoples' thoughts on Mockingjay, since it's my favourite of the three. I'm replying only to a few parts. original.gif

- With Finnick's death, a lot of people (which I agree with) appreciate it because it's a non-glorified death. When it comes to war, not everyone gets a 'glorified' death (like a whole scene dedicated to them), so I appreciated the realism with it. It really was fast though. When I read it, I had to re-read the sentence like four times to actually understand that he just got killed it. It definitely keeps with the realism of the war, since it didn't get much attention.

- My issue wasn't with her being drugged and whatnot as a form of coping, but rather from a literary stance. She gets drugged SO MANY TIMES that the descriptive narrative loses all impact upon the second time, and when it happens again and again, like two or three times in the span of like five pages towards the end, it just feels like a cheap ploy to move the plot. Katniss passes out for a few hours/days, we get caught up on what's happened in a few sentences, and move on to the next thing. Then repeat. That was my issue with it. It just seemed like a cheap literary gimmick.

- Yeah the ending was really rushed, but I've learned to appreciate it. Because just as fast as the war started and ended, her life is thus forced to move on. She can't dwell. It REALLY is fast though, and probably could have done well with another ten pages or so interspersed. This applies to your last three points btw. The realism and authentic feelings Katniss expresses towards the end are flawless, and are probably what people hate the most about the last book. Most people wanted a legitimate happy ending and we didn't really get that. We got a real ending, and that's why it's my favourite of the three. It's incredibly true to life and I respect Collins' dedication to that, but I too wish it hadn't been so rushed towards the end.

I think it's healthy to want to rant after reading the last one. laughing.gif It definitely 'charges' you the most out of the three. The Hunger Games and Catching Fire are all adrenaline when you read them, but Mockingjay really hits the reader hard (again, why it's my favourite of the three heart.gif ).

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Mar 10th 2012, 2:32 PM
Post #523

Rest In Peace Dad

Fav. Judge: Simon Cowell
Fav. AI12: Kree Harrison
Fav. AI12: Candice Glover

This is web series featuring Finnick and Annie. It's fan made, but the production is pretty stellar. yes.gif

--------------------
IPB Image♥FOREVER IN MY HEART x I LOVE YOU ALWAYS x REST IN PEACE DAD x 3/22/69 - 7/11/12♥
+Quote Post
DiAnAmItE4LiFe
post Mar 10th 2012, 4:28 PM
Post #524

Fav. AI8: Matt Giraud
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI11: Elise Testone

QUOTE(wild.hope @ Mar 10th 2012, 3:07 AM) *

I LOVE reading peoples' thoughts on Mockingjay, since it's my favourite of the three. I'm replying only to a few parts. original.gif

- With Finnick's death, a lot of people (which I agree with) appreciate it because it's a non-glorified death. When it comes to war, not everyone gets a 'glorified' death (like a whole scene dedicated to them), so I appreciated the realism with it. It really was fast though. When I read it, I had to re-read the sentence like four times to actually understand that he just got killed it. It definitely keeps with the realism of the war, since it didn't get much attention.

- My issue wasn't with her being drugged and whatnot as a form of coping, but rather from a literary stance. She gets drugged SO MANY TIMES that the descriptive narrative loses all impact upon the second time, and when it happens again and again, like two or three times in the span of like five pages towards the end, it just feels like a cheap ploy to move the plot. Katniss passes out for a few hours/days, we get caught up on what's happened in a few sentences, and move on to the next thing. Then repeat. That was my issue with it. It just seemed like a cheap literary gimmick.

- Yeah the ending was really rushed, but I've learned to appreciate it. Because just as fast as the war started and ended, her life is thus forced to move on. She can't dwell. It REALLY is fast though, and probably could have done well with another ten pages or so interspersed. This applies to your last three points btw. The realism and authentic feelings Katniss expresses towards the end are flawless, and are probably what people hate the most about the last book. Most people wanted a legitimate happy ending and we didn't really get that. We got a real ending, and that's why it's my favourite of the three. It's incredibly true to life and I respect Collins' dedication to that, but I too wish it hadn't been so rushed towards the end.

I think it's healthy to want to rant after reading the last one. laughing.gif It definitely 'charges' you the most out of the three. The Hunger Games and Catching Fire are all adrenaline when you read them, but Mockingjay really hits the reader hard (again, why it's my favourite of the three heart.gif ).

Yayyy thank you so much for replying! I just felt like talking about it with someone. haha.gif I love that it's your favorite of the three, since that seems to be a very unpopular opinion. For me, it was probably the hardest one to put down once it really got going, because there was such a sense of urgency.

- That really makes sense, actually. I know some people have said that he "deserved better", but you're right that not everyone can have a glorified death, and it's more realistic that way. Yes, it was definitely fast! That whole part was actually a little confusing for me at first, so I reread it a few times too. And now that I think about it, I guess Snow's death was kinda similar in a way. She was setting it up to be THE main focus, and then it's like it almost becomes an afterthought.

- This is a really good point. It did happen a lot, and I understand the issue with it seeming like a gimmick after awhile. I still don't know about Prim's death. I mean, I was expecting it, but at the same time I expected something different? This is probably the one time where the whole "drugged" thing left me feeling kinda ermm.gif

- I agree, I feel like even just a few more pages would've done the trick. Oh and I totally forgot to include this, but I liked how the way Katniss reacted after returning back home (sitting in the rocking chair and not really moving) was so similar to how her mom reacted after her dad's death. It was like... if she didn't get it before, she does now. So sad. sad.gif And yes, so many people hate the end because it wasn't what they expected/wanted. I don't know what they would've preferred, but a happy ending definitely wouldn't have fit.

Definitely. I just feel so emotionally drained, even now. haha.gif

This post has been edited by DiAnAmItE4LiFe: Mar 10th 2012, 4:30 PM

--------------------

IPB Image
Tumblr l Twitter l #JEAH l Sig: oxidol_2.0 | AI12: Burnell, Candice, Angie, Devin, Amber
+Quote Post
Erestor
post Mar 11th 2012, 4:14 PM
Post #525

QUOTE(1234567890 @ Mar 10th 2012, 8:32 PM) *

This is web series featuring Finnick and Annie. It's fan made, but the production is pretty stellar. yes.gif

It's really great. thumbsup.gif I was watching those right after I read the books when I couldn't wait for the movie. haha.gif

I also love this one - it's about Haymitch and the Second Quarter Quell:

I think the acting, the effects and the production are really impressive.

This post has been edited by Erestor: Mar 11th 2012, 4:14 PM

--------------------
bbcan2: neda adel heather jon anick ika. surv28: jefra kass spencer lj morgan trish.
+Quote Post
angelj1884
post Mar 11th 2012, 6:46 PM
Post #526

Group Icon

Group: IDF SYTYCD Journalist

Fav. SYTYCDA3: Kieran McMahon
Fav. SYTYCD10: Alan Bersten

It never ceases to amaze me. I can watch these previews on my computer ten times and yet any time I see them on the big screen before a movie I am watching I get chills.

--------------------
+Quote Post
WERKusername
post Mar 12th 2012, 6:06 PM
Post #527

Fav. SYTYCD3: Dominic Sandoval
Fav. AI10: Scotty McCreery

Le video time! smile.gif

This is some behind the scenes footage that I haven't gotten to watch yet because of my stupid Internet. Dial-up is a fangirl's worst nightmare, I tell ya that has been released by Lionsgate. original.gif Judging from the comments, there's a lot of scenes we haven't seen yet!

Aaannnddd...Peeta's interview has also been released. alkmjdakpdcoiahncAMJCZALP;SFV MSS;V

While I am enjoying this, I really hope that's the last of everything that's been released. The movie is in eleven days, so I think we can hold up. I hope Lionsgate gets that THIS IS ENOUGH because we want to be surprised when the movie comes out. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if thereís a life after that, Iíll love you then.
+Quote Post
*~MarMar~*
post Mar 12th 2012, 10:07 PM
Post #528

Fav. AI2: Clay Aiken
Fav. live act: Green Day

Yeah, I just finished Mockingjay, and unlike a lot of people, I did enjoy it.

Spoilers:

I saw the Coin assassination coming. The whole time in my head, I kept asking why we didn't know more about her, how exactly she gained her power, and if Katniss hadn't been so preoccupied with Snow, she would have been able to do some more research about Coin and her motives. The conclusion she came to - why does Coin deserve power? Did power compel her to become another Snow? - those were the same ones I came to, so I was happy to see that happen.

Honestly, Finnick never made much of an impact on me, so his death wasn't any more profound than that of anyone else in the party.

Did the book end suddenly? Absolutely. We needed a little more time elapsed before the epilogue began, but I did like the epilogue. I would have liked to have known a little more about what the world was like in the future, but maybe she did that on purpose - leaving it vague because everything in the world is so vague and maybe unchanged.

I never had issues with her being drugged all the time, but I did think that it was implausible that she could get shot and suffer so many other wounds and just recover and suffer relatively small side effects. This is magnified when you consider the dire food situation in 13.

Overall, I vastly preferred it to Catching Fire, which I thought was much more sudden/rushed than Mockingjay - Mockingjay took the parts of Catching Fire that I did enjoy (the first 2/3 or so) and expanded on them.

--------------------
[Version: SNL 2004] Last.fm Tumblr Tweet treats!
IPB Image
+Quote Post
WERKusername
post Mar 12th 2012, 11:31 PM
Post #529

Fav. SYTYCD3: Dominic Sandoval
Fav. AI10: Scotty McCreery

The LA premiere for the movie was tonight! original.gif From what I've seen, the movie is getting positive reviews. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if thereís a life after that, Iíll love you then.
+Quote Post
DiAnAmItE4LiFe
post Mar 13th 2012, 5:03 PM
Post #530

Fav. AI8: Matt Giraud
Fav. AI11: Elise Testone

omg the interview. Not watching! innocent.gif

QUOTE(*~MarMar~* @ Mar 12th 2012, 11:07 PM) *

Yeah, I just finished Mockingjay, and unlike a lot of people, I did enjoy it.
Spoilers:

I saw the Coin assassination coming. The whole time in my head, I kept asking why we didn't know more about her, how exactly she gained her power, and if Katniss hadn't been so preoccupied with Snow, she would have been able to do some more research about Coin and her motives. The conclusion she came to - why does Coin deserve power? Did power compel her to become another Snow? - those were the same ones I came to, so I was happy to see that happen.

Honestly, Finnick never made much of an impact on me, so his death wasn't any more profound than that of anyone else in the party.

Did the book end suddenly? Absolutely. We needed a little more time elapsed before the epilogue began, but I did like the epilogue. I would have liked to have known a little more about what the world was like in the future, but maybe she did that on purpose - leaving it vague because everything in the world is so vague and maybe unchanged.

I never had issues with her being drugged all the time, but I did think that it was implausible that she could get shot and suffer so many other wounds and just recover and suffer relatively small side effects. This is magnified when you consider the dire food situation in 13.

Overall, I vastly preferred it to Catching Fire, which I thought was much more sudden/rushed than Mockingjay - Mockingjay took the parts of Catching Fire that I did enjoy (the first 2/3 or so) and expanded on them.

Yay, someone else who just finished Mockingjay! I agree with you on a lot of that.

Plus, I think that when she told Coin "yes" to another Games, and said "for Prim", she was basically hinting at the whole ~assassination situation.

I think I need to read Catching Fire again (I'm planning on reading all of them again, though), because I read the first part in a few days and then didn't read it at all for almost a week. haha.gif Not because I didn't like it, but I guess I just had a lot going on. Right now, I would say it's probably my least favorite of the three, but I love them all so whatever. haha.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
Tumblr l Twitter l #JEAH l Sig: oxidol_2.0 | AI12: Burnell, Candice, Angie, Devin, Amber
+Quote Post
singerboy
post Mar 18th 2012, 2:53 PM
Post #531

Fav. SYTYCDA2: Talia Fowler
Fav. Show Ever: Buffy!

I remember loving The Hunger Games and Mockingjay being my least favorite of the three but I forgot how much I loved Catching Fire. I'm reading it again right now and it is so good.

--------------------
AI13: Sam, Jess, Dexter
IPB Image
SYTYCDAU4: Michael, Jay, Lauren, Sam, Eden
+Quote Post
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Mar 20th 2012, 8:41 AM
Post #532

Fav. AI7: Michael Johns
Fav. AI11: Hollie Cavanagh

Just started the first book yesterday. grin.gif grin.gif

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
RIP Cory Monteith. | My Disney Tumblr.
+Quote Post
singerboy
post Mar 20th 2012, 10:42 PM
Post #533

Fav. SYTYCDA2: Talia Fowler
Fav. Show Ever: Buffy!

I just finished Mockingjay, and even though it is my least favorite of the three still I have a much greater appreciation for it than I did after reading it the first time several months ago. Suzanne did an amazing job with this series. crying.gif

--------------------
AI13: Sam, Jess, Dexter
IPB Image
SYTYCDAU4: Michael, Jay, Lauren, Sam, Eden
+Quote Post
Southpaw
post Mar 20th 2012, 11:51 PM
Post #534

Fav. AI8: Kris Allen
Fav. AI9: Lee DeWyze

This series is just as heartwrenching the second time around. Maybe even more so... like, I can appreciate it more as I'm reading it since I know what's going to happen.
I am for sure going to bawl my eyes out like, a hundred times during the movie. pinch.gif

Btw - Jennifer Lawrence was on Letterman tonight. Tomorrow night she's going to be on Jimmy Fallon and also tomorrow night, Josh Hutcherson is going to be on Letterman! In case anyone cares as much as I do. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
bice_rawks
post Mar 22nd 2012, 9:30 AM
Post #535

Fav. AI5: Chris Daughtry
Fav. AI6: Blake Lewis
Fav. AI11: Phil, Colton & Joshua

Hey folks happy.gif I too am a big fan of HG. I finished the first book a couple months ago but haven't gotten into the second book yet. I need to get on the ball! laughing.gif Can't wait for the movie though. Hopefully, a friend of mine and I are going to go see it soon.

--------------------
RIP Laura | Langone = Love
fellow BHB fangirl | LVES: Daughtry Ballas Hough Lysacek Bublť
+Quote Post
mikeyace16
post Mar 22nd 2012, 12:06 PM
Post #536

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. Arist: Queen Swift

Seeing it at midnight grin.gif wub.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Mar 26th 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #537

Fav. AI7: Michael Johns
Fav. AI11: Hollie Cavanagh

I finished the book today. grin.gif It was really good. I can't wait to read the other two and see the movie.

--------------------

RIP Cory Monteith. | My Disney Tumblr.
+Quote Post
xoypoodlesx
post Mar 27th 2012, 9:40 PM
Post #538

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. SYTYCD3: Neil Haskell
Fav. SYTYCD3: Danny Tidwell

QUOTE(DiAnAmItE4LiFe @ Mar 9th 2012, 11:51 PM) *

- The scene after Katniss kills Coin and she's stuck back in her old room for awhile... it was really strange, but also pretty emotional for me. Especially when she started singing. And then afterwards when she's back home and she describes the emptiness and loneliness she feels... that REALLY got to me too. It was heartbreaking. And when she went back to her old hunting spot she used to share with Gale, I kinda thought Peeta would show up for some reason, lol. When he does show up, planting primrose bushes in honor of Prim... oh man. HERE COME THE TEARS AGAIN. AND THEN, the whole part with Buttercup. "She's not coming back! She's never ever coming back here again!" I COMPLETELY LOST IT. lollll I'm about to cry again now just thinking about it.
I like reading other people's opinions on Mockingjay because I had such mixed feelings about it when I read it. But anyway I'm glad to see someone else mention that scene because that was the part that made me the most emotional in all 3 books. Prim's death never really got to me because I never ~connected with her as a character, but man that part...I LOST it. crying.gif

--------------------

credit: x x
+Quote Post
topspinace09
post Mar 30th 2012, 1:18 PM
Post #539

Fav. AI8: Kris Allen
Fav. ASB5: Jarryd Byrne

http://idolforums.com/index.php?s=&sho...&p=24647492

--------------------
IPB Image
#TEAMJC4EVAH
+Quote Post
Starry_Night
post Apr 10th 2012, 9:36 PM
Post #540

Fav. CI5: Carly Rae Jepsen
Fav. Band: Coldplay

http://www.hggirlonfire.com/2012/04/10/gar..._source=twitter

catching fire is getting a new director

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

32 Pages V « < 25 26 27 28 29 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Apr 19th 2014, 7:40 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol