Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

12 Pages V  1 2 3 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A member of our IDF family was murdered
proudnewyorker82
post Apr 20th 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. RS INXS: Marty, RS SN: Toby

My world has come crashing down, this person was my best friend on IDF, my life is going to be so empty without her, I'm speechless.

Her name was Laura, she went by the username, JPL Fan 4ever

http://www.wgntv.com/landing/?DNA-to-be-ta...&feedID=209

DNA to be taken from Hoffman Estates suspect

More Related Content

George Houde

April 20, 2009

Prosecutors won permission today to obtain DNA samples from the Hoffman Estates man accused of fatally stabbing his girlfriend's father, sister and grandmother Friday in an attack that also critically injured her mother.

DNA from D'Andre Howard, 20, will be compared with bloody palm and fingerprints as well as footprints found in the home, prosecutors this morning told Cook County Circuit Judge Jill Marisie at a brief hearing this morning in the Rolling Meadows courthouse.

The palm and fingerprints were found on a bloody kitchen knife, said Assistant State's Atty. Maria McCarthy, adding the bloody footprints were found throughout the house.

Some of the blood could be Howard's as he was also injured, authorities said.

In a hearing over the weekend, prosecutors had said that Howard became enraged after his girlfriend walked out on him with their child. At that time, he was ordered held without bail in what prosecutors called a potential death-penalty case.

The episode began, prosecutors said, when Howard and his girlfriend, Amanda Engelhardt, 23, got into a heated argument Thursday night over Howard's alleged infidelities. Engelhardt left the apartment with their 8-month-old and went to her family's home a few blocks away.

Most of the eight people there were sleeping when Howard showed up at 1:30 a.m. Friday, prosecutors said. Soon the couple began arguing again -- waking those sleeping above the first-floor family room.

Concerned about the noise, mother Shelly Engelhardt, 53, crept downstairs with her 18-year-old honor student daughter, Laura Engelhardt. As the two approached the family room, Howard confronted them with a butcher knife he'd taken from the kitchen, prosecutors said. He threatened all three women before tying them up with yarn as they sat on a couch, authorities added.

A few minutes later Amanda Engelhardt's aunt -- whom authorities did not identify -- came downstairs. After telling the aunt to join the others on the couch, Howard inexplicably decided to untie them, prosecutors said. He set down the knife and untied Laura Engelhardt first. Prosecutors said as Howard untied his girlfriend, her sister Laura decided to defend her family.

Prosecutors laid out a quick chain of events: Laura Engelhardt grabbed the knife and slashed Howard's arm, but he got it back and stabbed her several times. As she lay bleeding, Howard critically wounded Shelly Engelhardt, stabbing her in the heart and lungs. Next, Howard found grandmother Marlene Gacek, 73, in the kitchen and fatally stabbed her in the chest as she tried to get away. Howard then killed the father, Alan Engelhardt, 57, slashing his throat before he collapsed in the family room near his seriously injured wife and daughter, prosecutors said.

Howard returned to the family room, where his girlfriend, who was not injured, convinced him to let her call police. When officers arrived about 6 a.m., they found Alan Engelhardt and Gacek dead and Laura Engelhardt critically wounded, police said. Before she died about noon Friday in a hospital, she identified Howard as the attacker, police said.

Steve Herczeg, an assistant public defender, said Howard suffers mental health problems, has a history of juvenile delinquency and was convicted of aggravated criminal sexual abuse as a juvenile in 2004.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...0,5767494.story
Hoffman Estates stabbings: Couple's fight led to fatal attack, prosecutors say
Couple's fight led to Hoffman Estates attack, officials say
By George Houde | Special to the Tribune
8:55 PM CDT, April 18, 2009
Enraged that his girlfriend walked out on him with their child, a Hoffman Estates man fatally stabbed the woman's father, sister and grandmother and critically injured her mother during a bloody attack outlined by prosecutors Saturday.

Cook County Circuit Judge Samuel Betar ordered D'Andre Howard, 20, held without bail following the hearing in Rolling Meadows on what prosecutors said is a potential death penalty case.

The episode began, prosecutors said, when Howard and his girlfriend, Amanda Engelhardt, 23, got into a heated argument Thursday night over Howard's alleged infidelities. Engelhardt left the apartment with their 8-month-old and went to her family's home a few blocks away.

Most of the eight people there were sleeping when Howard showed up at 1:30 a.m. Friday, prosecutors said. Soon the couple began arguing again—waking those sleeping above the first-floor family room.

Related links
Charges in slayings of teen, dad, grandma Concerned about the noise, mother Shelly Engelhardt, 53, crept downstairs with her 18-year-old honor student daughter, Laura Engelhardt. As the two approached the family room, Howard confronted them with a butcher knife he'd taken from the kitchen, prosecutors said. He threatened all three women before tying them up with yarn as they sat on a couch, authorities added.

A few minutes later Amanda Engelhardt's aunt—whom authorities did not identify—came downstairs. After telling the aunt to join the others on the couch, Howard inexplicably decided to untie them, prosecutors said. He set down the knife and untied Laura Engelhardt first. Prosecutors said as Howard untied his girlfriend, her sister Laura decided to defend her family.

Prosecutors laid out a quick chain of events: Laura Engelhardt grabbed the knife and slashed Howard's arm, but he got it back and stabbed her several times. As she lay bleeding, Howard critically wounded Shelly Engelhardt, stabbing her in the heart and lungs. Next, Howard found grandmother Marlene Gacek, 73, in the kitchen and fatally stabbed her in the chest as she tried to get away. Howard then killed the father, Alan Engelhardt, 57, slashing his throat before he collapsed in the family room near his seriously injured wife and daughter, prosecutors said.

Howard returned to the family room, where his girlfriend, who was not injured, convinced him to let her call police. When officers arrived about 6 a.m., they found Alan Engelhardt and Gacek dead and Laura Engelhardt critically wounded, police said. Before she died about noon Friday in a hospital, she identified Howard as the attacker, police said.

On Saturday, Jeff Engelhardt, 20, a junior at Southern Illinois University, said his mother, Shelly, remained hospitalized and was conscious but not talking much.

Steve Herczeg, an assistant public defender, said Howard suffers mental health problems, has a history of juvenile delinquency and was convicted of aggravated criminal sexual abuse as a juvenile in 2004.

"He seemed pretty normal," Jeff Engelhardt said of Howard. "There would be arguments, but there didn't seem to be any indication that a violent incident could take place."

Tribune reporter Susan Kuczka contributed to this report.

E-mailShare Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Reddit Buzz up!Mixx it! PrintReprint
rated 4.36 by 11 people [?]

Recommended for you:
Peoria gays react to sign of intolerance (@chicagotribune.com - Local news)Skokie Holocaust museum opens (@Chicago Breaking News)2 dead in fiery crash on Southeast Side (@Chicago Breaking News) 2 more recommended posts »

Related topic galleries: Rolling Meadows, Prosecution, Juvenile Delinquency, Crimes, Sexual Assault, Police Arrests, Chest
All topicsGet the Tribune delivered at home and save 25% off the newsstand price.

Copyright © 2009, Chicago Tribune

This comment board has been disabled. See other discussions.

Enraged that his girlfriend walked out on him with their child, a Hoffman Estates man fatally stabbed the woman's father, sister and grandmother and critically injured her mother during a bloody attack outlined by prosecutors Saturday.

Cook County Circuit Judge Samuel Betar ordered D'Andre Howard, 20, held without bail following the hearing in Rolling Meadows on what prosecutors said is a potential death penalty case.

Most of the eight people there were sleeping when Howard showed up at 1:30 a.m. Friday, prosecutors said. Soon the couple began arguing again—waking those sleeping above the first-floor family room.

Related links
Charges in slayings of teen, dad, grandma Concerned about the noise, mother Shelly Engelhardt, 53, crept downstairs with her 18-year-old honor student daughter, Laura Engelhardt. As the two approached the family room, Howard confronted them with a butcher knife he'd taken from the kitchen, prosecutors said. He threatened all three women before tying them up with yarn as they sat on a couch, authorities added.

A few minutes later Amanda Engelhardt's aunt—whom authorities did not identify—came downstairs. After telling the aunt to join the others on the couch, Howard inexplicably decided to untie them, prosecutors said. He set down the knife and untied Laura Engelhardt first. Prosecutors said as Howard untied his girlfriend, her sister Laura decided to defend her family.

On Saturday, Jeff Engelhardt, 20, a junior at Southern Illinois University, said his mother, Shelly, remained hospitalized and was conscious but not talking much.

"He seemed pretty normal," Jeff Engelhardt said of Howard. "There would be arguments, but there didn't seem to be any indication that a violent incident could take place."

Tribune reporter Susan Kuczka contributed to this report

This post has been edited by proudnewyorker82: Apr 20th 2009, 2:30 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Apr 20th 2009, 12:25 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

Kellyfan4eva
post Apr 20th 2009, 1:09 PM
Post #2

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AJ: Chantel Kohl
Fav. TV Show: NCIS

WOW omg.gif I'm so sorry! huggy.gif Sending you lots of huggy.gif's and prayers and love! flowers.gif heart.gif

--------------------
IPB Image .::.so in love with my sweetheart.::. IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
+Quote Post
claysababe
post Apr 20th 2009, 1:26 PM
Post #3

Fav. AI5: Ace Young
Fav. Idol: Clay Aiken!!

Oh no sad.gif crying.gif How tragic. I will be saying many prayers for Laura and her family and friends.

--------------------
IPB Image
Kim
+Quote Post
Annie
post Apr 20th 2009, 2:09 PM
Post #4

Dwight you ignorant slut!

Fav. AI7: David Cook

I can't believe it. A lot of people at my school know her.

eta' i've met her, and gave her a tour of my campus.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ziyu
post Apr 20th 2009, 2:12 PM
Post #5

Wow crying.gif My translator put that in Chinese.. but wow I will pray for family of Laura and friends. heart.gif

--------------------
张子钰我会想你我想和你讲中文
+Quote Post
Toxic Glowsticks
post Apr 20th 2009, 2:33 PM
Post #6

Fav. Poet: Anne Sexton

noexpression.gif

how can people be SO f**ing messed up???

--------------------
IPB Image

~I have a secret place inside my mind,
where I keep hidden inspiration you won't find.~
+Quote Post
Ashleigh Rose
post Apr 20th 2009, 2:34 PM
Post #7

This is such a disturbing, heartbreaking story. sad.gif
I am truely shocked... I remember reading her posts... this is so weird.

Rest in peace, Laura. crying.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

Adam Lambert - my American Idol. / / Sig made by ClassyGame / / Got MySpace? - add me.
+Quote Post
proudnewyorker82
post Apr 20th 2009, 2:39 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Kellyfan4eva @ Apr 20th 2009, 2:09 PM) *

WOW omg.gif I'm so sorry! huggy.gif Sending you lots of huggy.gif's and prayers and love! flowers.gif heart.gif

huggy.gif Thanks that means a lot.

I'm in such shock, I want to believe this is all a nightmare, I really can't believe it. no.gif

I didn't see her online for so many days, and I thought, don't be paranoid, don't always assume the worst, maybe her computer is just broken, and then I checked online on the local Chicago news, and there it was crying.gif I can't even begin to describe the shock that washed over me.

I keep thinking "Why her? Why?" She was the most amazing kind of person you could ever meet, so friendly, caring, she never took anything too seriously, never let anything get to her, she let things just roll off her back. You hear about this on the news all the time but you never expect it to happen to someone you know.

She was so excited about prom and graduation, and her first boyfriend she got into a relationship with like a week ago, she was excited about a wrestling event she was going to, the first WWE event she would have gone to in 3 years, she had her whole life ahead of her.

This is senseless, just senseless.

It's ironic how once there was a discussion about online friends and what if something happens to them and you have no way of finding out....I just, I have so many emotions inside me and I just can't seem to verbalize them.

I loved her like a sister. brokenheart.gif

This post has been edited by proudnewyorker82: Apr 20th 2009, 3:07 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
xoSam
post Apr 20th 2009, 2:55 PM
Post #9

Group: NX Subscribers

That's horrible. I remember her posting around a lot, she seemed really sweet. My thoughts are with you, her family and friends. huggy.gif

--------------------

hush little babe, don't overreact
keep it all in and hold it all back
hush little darling, time to save face
give it some time, go down with some grace
+Quote Post
kaylo
post Apr 20th 2009, 2:57 PM
Post #10

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood

This is terrible, I'm so sorry. My thought & prayers go out to her family and friends, what a tragedy. sad.gif

--------------------
sensitive, it's true.
alligator tears cried over you.
+Quote Post
**JennyGearFan**
post Apr 20th 2009, 2:58 PM
Post #11

Group: Blend Artists

shocked.gif I remember her. crying.gif Wow...that is just scary. omg.gif crying.gif I'm so sorry love. I hope you can be strong through this. shocked.gif huggy.gif huggy.gif huggy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
proudnewyorker82
post Apr 20th 2009, 3:06 PM
Post #12

Thank you everyone for the well wishes huggy.gif, they really mean a lot to me, I don't know how I'm going to get through the day.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
katejonsson10
post Apr 20th 2009, 3:20 PM
Post #13

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI11: Elise Testone

wow, im really sorry):

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
ai12: angela miller, kree harrison, candice glover, amber holcomb
+Quote Post
bahzz[:
post Apr 20th 2009, 3:20 PM
Post #14

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. Glee: Dianna Agron

omg this is horrible sad.gif
i'm gonna keep you,her family and friends on my prayers huggy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image[IPB Image
Agron;Archuleta;Allen;Michele;Underwood.
twitter |tumblr | lastfm | credit: tumblr
+Quote Post
TayTayFanForever
post Apr 20th 2009, 3:26 PM
Post #15

Fav. AI6: Jordin Sparks
Fav. AI8: Allison Iraheta
Fav. SYTYCD: Lauren & Jeanine.

crying.gif crying.gif crying.gif I knew her. I can't believe this. crying.gif

RIP Laura. heart.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
**JennyGearFan**
post Apr 20th 2009, 3:27 PM
Post #16

Group: Blend Artists

QUOTE(proudnewyorker82 @ Apr 20th 2009, 3:06 PM) *

Thank you everyone for the well wishes huggy.gif, they really mean a lot to me, I don't know how I'm going to get through the day.

crying.gif huggy.gif huggy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
pnkrngrwnnb
post Apr 20th 2009, 3:32 PM
Post #17

Fav. Fandom: Channel Awesome

Oh my word. fear2.gif crying.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
*Kiki*
post Apr 20th 2009, 3:38 PM
Post #18

Wow. I don't know what to say. That is just beyond horrible.
I'll keep you, her family and friends in my prayers.

--------------------

I'm beautiful in my way
'Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way

JOSH GROBAN

9/18/2011

5/28/2013

+Quote Post
soulmateoflyss
post Apr 20th 2009, 4:00 PM
Post #19

so be brave and want me back

Fav. Wife: Kathryn Prescott

Oh my goodness, this is terrible. crying.gif I'm so sorry! huggy.gif huggy.gif huggy.gif

--------------------
williams, prescott, deschanel, capshaw, loveless, agron, ramirez
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
soulmateofalix is my bitch | ai9: crystal bowersox.
taylor swift 6.5 | last.fm | tumblr
+Quote Post
straightxahead
post Apr 20th 2009, 4:10 PM
Post #20

Tigers love pepper, they hate cinnamon.

Fav. AI7: David Cook

Oh gosh, that's awful!! crying.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

12 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Oct 20th 2014, 4:14 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol