Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Idol winner Carrie Underwood plays Hamilton, A Q&A
carriesfan123
post Mar 22nd 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI3: Diana DeGarmo
Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. PS2 Game: Sonic the Hedgehog

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/349124

In case the nine million album sales and three Grammy awards haven't already made the point, fourth-season American Idol winner Carrie Underwood's ascension to superstardom was further cemented by this week's announcement she would become the newest member of the Grand Ole Opry, the weekly concert broadcast and oldest continuous radio program in the U.S.

Opry member Randy Travis shocked the 25-year-old Oklahoma native with the news she would be joining the ranks of such country music heavyweights as Dolly Parton, Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood during her sold-out Nashville show on Sunday.

The wholesome blond's 2005 debut, Some Hearts, is the best-selling solo female country debut album in the history of the Recording Industry Association of America and the top-selling American Idol album.

The Star spoke briefly with the young singer who performs in Hamilton tonight on her first headlining tour:

Q. How did you find out you were to be inducted into the Grand Ole Opry in May?

A. I was actually playing at the Opry. It was a complete surprise. I didn't even know Randy Travis was going to be there. I just got done singing ("I Told You So") from my album Carnival Ride, which is actually a cover of his, and he surprised me and asked on behalf of everyone if I would like to be a member.

Q. And you apparently hesitated before accepting?

A. That was a joke. Of course I want to be a member.

It's a place that's got such tradition and that's one of the things I love about country music everybody respects our past and where country music came from and where it is now and where it's going.

Q. Were you an avid Opry fan growing up?

A. We didn't have cable or anything growing up, but my grandparents did, so they always had the Opry on.

I mainly was exposed to it through them. I went to Nashville when I was 13 and we visited the Grand Ole Opry and went to the Country Music Hall of Fame. It's just a cool thing and now I'm a part of it or I will be May 10.

Q. Why have you said you would not have continued to pursue a music career if you hadn't won American Idol?

A. I love being in and around music, but from a practical standpoint ... there are so many people that love music and love to sing or play an instrument, but the odds of it actually happening aren't too good. And, at the time, I don't know if I had enough confidence in myself to pursue it. I would have graduated and gotten a job and I would have been happy with that as well, just because I'm that kind of person. But this is a lot better.

Q. What other industry might you have gotten into?

A. I was going to school and got a degree in journalism. Knowing most people don't end up doing what they go to school to do exactly, I took all of the advertising, broadcasting and PR classes I could take. I would have done any of that stuff to get my foot in the door.

Q. Have those studies prepared you for some of the offstage demands of a singing career?

A. I definitely think it's helped. My main focus was broadcast, but being behind the camera enabled me to learn about speaking in sound bites and being able to answer questions better. (Interviewers) do try to get me in trouble get me to comment on somebody, or ask a leading question. I can better realize what they're doing and be defensive without getting defensive.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Mar 22nd 2008, 12:19 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

~AngelBabi~
post Mar 22nd 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Fav. CI3: Melissa O'Neil
Fav. Show: One Tree Hill ♥

My mom is in Hamilton for a bowling tournament this weekend and she called me today during supper to tell me that Carrie was staying at her hotel. I was so hysterical after I got off the phone with her. If everything works out I'll be getting an autograph! w00t.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
05/12/08 RIP Courtney ♥ Thanks istersay for the set
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
carriesfan123
post Mar 23rd 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #3

Fav. AI3: Diana DeGarmo
Fav. PS2 Game: Sonic the Hedgehog

QUOTE(~AngelBabi~ @ Mar 22nd 2008, 10:08 PM) *

My mom is in Hamilton for a bowling tournament this weekend and she called me today during supper to tell me that Carrie was staying at her hotel. I was so hysterical after I got off the phone with her. If everything works out I'll be getting an autograph! w00t.gif

w00t.gif Get me one too! bleh.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Oct 22nd 2014, 5:21 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol