Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> sanjaya talks about stevie wonder, danny noriega, mtv article
sprout
post Mar 10th 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #1

guy's official tour guide

Group: NX Premium Subscribers

NEW YORK It's been nearly a year since Sanjaya Malakar was given the boot by the "American Idol" voting faithful, but that hasn't dissuaded last season's hirsute underdog who managed to stay in the competition for nine startling weeks, a run helped along by the likes of shock jock Howard Stern from following his dreams.

Malakar, the teen who spent the two weeks following his "Idol" banishment assessing his experience in New Zealand, told MTV News over the weekend that he's been keeping busy since the cut writing music with his sister, Shyamali, and meeting with producers to discuss the album he'd like to record in the very near future. And if he had his way, he'd pull in at least one big name for an epic R&B collaboration.

"I would love to work with Stevie Wonder," Malakar gushed from Long Island's Oheka Castle, where he was set to perform Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely" during an event that doubled as Rachel Lader's bat mitzvah and a benefit for Realizing the Dream, a nonprofit group that strives to continue the humanitarian work of Martin Luther King Jr. "But I'd be totally open to working with other people, to be able to see other people's interpretations of my music. When you make music, it's really your soul. When I make music, I put my soul in it. So to be able to see someone else's interpretation of my soul would be a really fun experience."

Malakar, a favorite target of judge Simon Cowell, said that, in between posing for pictures with fans and signing autographs, he's been working on developing himself as an artist.

"Right after the 'American Idol' tour, which was the most incredible thing I've experienced to this date, I needed some downtime," he said. "I'd been caught up in this crazy whirlwind that happened overnight. So I went off and wrote music with my sister, and I've been writing a lot, working with producers. I've been playing shows and charity events. I've been developing myself as an artist, because I came directly from high school to this career, so I've been learning about this business."

What will Sanjaya's tunes sound like? According to Malakar, his music might surprise people for how eclectic it is.

"It's got a little bit of everything," he said. "I want to broaden my musical vocabulary, because I think it's important as a musician to research obscure artists. But my music is mainly rooted in R&B vocal styling, with a world-music influence. There will also be an East Indian influence to my songs. It's my culture, and it's such a rich culture the music is colorful, the food. I wanted to teach people about it.

"I think people may be surprised, just because on the show, there was a limited number of songs we could do they had to be cleared," he said. "I think people would be surprised to be able to see aspects of my personality I wasn't able to show on 'Idol,' because I didn't have enough time. I think I wasn't able to show my full vocal potential on the show, because we were limited in the amount of time we could sing. Let's just say it's clear-cut Sanjaya music."

Malakar has watched some season-seven "Idol" here and there, he said, and there have been weeks when he wished he could have participated. He's also bummed the show's producers weren't able to secure the rights to the Beatles catalog for his season. But more than anything, seeing "Idol" as an outsider is something of a surreal experience.

"It's been really weird to watch it, because it's like watching what happened to your life through other people's eyes," he said, demurring when asked if he has a favorite this year. "Overall, the talent each year seems to be improving. I think people are learning from previous seasons and making the right adjustments."

Someone Malakar met last year on "Idol" during Hollywood week, the recently rejected Danny Noriega, was one he was watching, if only because of Noriega's being tagged in the media as "this year's Sanjaya."

"It's funny, because I was on the bus with him when we went on our little field trip, and we talked," he said. "I think we do have similarities. I just think it's funny when people take a past contestant and compare them to someone else. I just think it's interesting to hear someone say that anyone else is 'the next Sanjaya,' because I think every artist has the ability to be the next themselves. I think Danny has a unique personality. It's an incredible trait to have, because you won't blend in with the other people you're compared to."

mtv article source

lots of sanjaya press in the last couple of days. PEOPLE magazine was at the book signing, so we may see something about it in next week's issue. or at least by the end of the month. heartbounce.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Mar 10th 2008, 11:05 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

digigirl02
post Mar 11th 2008, 7:15 PM
Post #2

Group: Members

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. Judge: Steven Tyler
Fav. AI 10: Team Sausage FTW

Great update.

--------------------

IPB Image
We're Here Because We Are Not All There-Steven Tyler
+Quote Post
PhilStaceyPhan07
post Mar 12th 2008, 3:40 PM
Post #3

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI8: Kradison <3

he's everywhere now-a-days!!! heart.gif

--------------------
Rest In Peace Michael Johns. You will be missed. We'll see you across the universe someday.
IPB Image
Icon by Jess ~ Facebook - Twitter - Instagram ~ Carry On...
+Quote Post
sprout
post Mar 12th 2008, 6:54 PM
Post #4

he is! he told us on daze that we will see more of him. he wasn't kidding! w00t.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
PhilStaceyPhan07
post Mar 14th 2008, 3:25 PM
Post #5

and all the haters thought he was gone when idol was over. hehe devil.gif

--------------------
Rest In Peace Michael Johns. You will be missed. We'll see you across the universe someday.
IPB Image
+Quote Post
sprout
post Mar 14th 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(PhilStaceyPhan07 @ Mar 14th 2008, 4:25 PM) *

and all the haters thought he was gone when idol was over. hehe devil.gif

muah ha ha ha ha, i know!

he did one little bat mitzvah and a book signing and EVERYONE is covering it! shifty.gif ph34rwave.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
donovan16
post Mar 15th 2008, 7:15 AM
Post #7

Fav. Idols: The Malakars

"Ahh he's a joke and his 15 minutes are up. Who cares if People Magazine and MTV cover his every move??" Gotta love the haters.. icecream.gif

BTW, heart.gif the banner Sprout. I'd like one myself but I just can't think of anything cool/clever/hot. pinch.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Vote for Sanjaya on NBC's "Celebrity," it's NOT a singing competition!
+Quote Post
sprout
post Mar 15th 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #8

thanks!!!

yeah, the haters, they watch him more than the fans do, lol. face it, he's more interesting than the rest. the haters can thank themselves for that too, roflmao! this is the only time where being the seasonal punching bag has actually backfired on the show. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
spazgal420
post Mar 24th 2008, 3:40 PM
Post #9

Fav. AI8: Anoop Desai
Fav. Wifey: Danny Noriega

Aww Sanjaya + Danny = heart.gif heart.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
PhilStaceyPhan07
post Mar 24th 2008, 8:42 PM
Post #10

^i know wub.gif those two are so lovable and cute. i just wanna lock both of them up and keep them for myself tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
London calling
post Mar 25th 2008, 5:29 AM
Post #11

Ah, I love all this. People and MTV can't get enough of him, and they're still asking Blake all about him in his radio interviews rather than play Blake's new single.

bleh.gif

--------------------
Avatar stolen from a talented VFTWer
+Quote Post
PhilStaceyPhan07
post Mar 25th 2008, 3:55 PM
Post #12

laughing.gif i bet that bugs the crap out of blake. good! devil.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Dec 21st 2014, 9:05 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol