Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nadia review on Season 7 top 8 guys and girls in EW, album out in May 2008?
jdanton2
post Mar 6th 2008, 4:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI3: LaToya London
Fav. AI4: Nadia Turner
Fav. S5Lisa Tucker S6:Jordin Sparks

Nadia reviews the top top 8 guys in this weeks Entertainment Weekly . it mentions her album will be out in May. she will review the girls tomorrow w00t.gif

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20007164_2...0182339,00.html

''THIS IS AMERICAN IDOL.'' I know that slogan oh so well.

I actually haven't watched AI much since I left the show. Looking back on my AI experience, I still can't believe it. It's a wonder to me that they call AI reality TV. The moment you reach top 24, the cameras are no longer behind the scenes to see the nerves, conversations, stress, tears, and relationships. This was beyond intense and very surreal to watch it on TV and know I had been there. WOW! Right there! It's still crazy! In the middle of that stage...amazing!

Being that this was ''Boys Night,'' my responsibility on the show would have been to relax and just support the boys. Let's be realistic: How do you relax knowing tomorrow is your night to shine? I actually spent most of this time taking in the boys' critiques and trying to remember certain performances, 'cause I knew the boys were going to ask how it looked from my seat. During the commercial breaks, I would write down my lyrics over and over on a blank sheet of paper. I was known to forget lyrics in rehearsal and liable to create a whole new verse — improv was my specialty.

Since I last saw the stage, it looks like they bumped up the scenery in the ''Coca Cola room'' with the curved stairwell and the second level overlooking the stage.

I saw Ryan exposing a lil' chest last night — all right, Ry, you betta pipe down exposing yourself like that! original.gif

Thank God for the background singers for Luke Menard. They kept this song above water, 'cause Luke's vocals were not up to par. It sounded like he was running out of breath. I loved his I'm-not-trying-hard-to-look-good-but-still-looking-fine attire. I'm with Simon cutting Paula off: ''Did you like it or not?!'' Let's get to the point, Paula!

Watching them stand there with phone numbers going across their waist-line brought a slew of memories back. This number decides your AI fate. The comments from the judges usually decide how your demeanor will be when you're in front of 888-IDOLS-XX. Do you say something over Ryan's chatter to let the world know to vote? Do you smile? Do you hold up your fingers reminding them of your number, which is already boldly on the screen? No no NO! Don't do that! That's corny!

There is no denying that David Archuleta has a beautiful voice, but Simon was right — he should have stayed at the piano. We would have seen the legs of this song stretch if he continued to tickle the ivory. ''Another Day in Paradise'' aged him. The khaki jacket was a little too serious for my taste. Wardrobe is beyond important in a performance. If he wore a brighter and better-fitted jacket, it would have taken some of the somberness off of that song. When he's standing at the mic, you can't help but notice the baby with his dad's suit on.

Was that Sanjaya or was that Danny Noriega? I think WHAM! is missing a member. This kid has lots of chutzpah and I dig it, but his vocals were beyond mediocre. What's up with the Randy Jackson pep talk?! He don't need no pep talk, Randy! That boy has enough confidence! Danny's ''whatever'' rooster-hand to Simon was unforgettable! I LOVED IT!!! I would definitely put him in the final 12 for the wardrobe and personality alone.

David Hernandez has strong vocals, but there were moments of flatness throughout. Giddy girls cheering in the audience does not mean that you're not flat. And David and his BOOGER tale! TMID: Too Much Information, David. I'm still trying to figure out Mr. Hernandez, but I feel if given the opportunity he will continue to grow throughout this competition.

Michael Johns. Australian accent — CHECK. ''Don't You Forget About Me'' by Simple Minds, from one of my favorite movies, The Breakfast Club — CHECK. Great tone, on-point vocal — CHECK. He's scrumptrulescent hot — CHECK. So, thus far, I enjoyed his performance the most! I'm not sure about the burgundy ''Thriller'' jacket though. sad.gif

I think David Cook nailed it this week. He took this Lionel Richie song and turned it into ROCK. It's funny that Simon says he likes people who take chances — he likes chances if he approves the chance taken, instead of respecting chances as a whole. It's going to be interesting to see what they think of Cook taking chances as the season progresses.

In my season, Bo, Anwar, and Carrie played instruments, but these talents weren't highlighted until...oh yeah, the tour! I can recall Anwar and Bo really wanting to play piano or guitar in this stage of the competition and being told they could not. I'm thrilled they are allowing instruments now so early on, but I wonder what brought on the change of heart from the producers.

Everything about Jason Castro is gravy! He is one of my favorites, but it looks like Jason got some special lighting tonight! He didn't need a spotlight with blue undertones. He stands out on his own — he has the kindest eyes on the planet! ''Hallelujah'' was a great choice. I chuckled when the judges told him this song showed his softer side. Ummmm, has he been singing heavy metal or rap and I missed it?

There is no doubt that Chikezie can sing, but every time I've heard him, I find myself flashing back to Season 4 and thinking of the caliber of R&B voices such as Anwar, Nikko, and Scott. He cannot hold a candle to the Season 4 boys vocally, and would have found himself drowning in the competition that year. His version of ''All the Woman I Need'' wasn't what I needed. It was quite the snoozer.

Overall, I think it was a great night for the guys!

TOMORROW: Nadia sizes up the top 8 women

Nadia Turner placed 8th on season 4 of American Idol. Since then, she's guest-hosted The View; appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, The Tonight Show, and EW.com's Idolatry; and starred in the feature film Lord Help Us. Currently, she's featured on Hot Tracks, a free CD distributed by Dreyer's Slow Churned Light Ice Cream with performances by previous Idol contestants from Justin Guarini to Chris Richardson. You can find more information about it, her clothing line Knodic Apparel, and her upcoming album (out in May) on her website and MySpace page.

--------------------
Favorite Season 7 Syesha Mercado-Season 8 Anoop Desai- Season 9 Siobhan Magnus-Season 10 Pia Toscano-Season 11 Jessica Sanchez-Season 12 Candice Glover-Season 13 Malaya Watson

X Factor Season 1 Melanie Amaro- Season 2 Fifth Harmony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Mar 6th 2008, 4:22 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

jdanton2
post Mar 6th 2008, 6:36 PM
Post #2

Nadia reviews the girls . she is sort of tough . she could be an intresting judge . tongue.gif

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20007164_2...0182668,00.html

American Idol 2008
'Idol': Nadia Turner on the Top 8 Women's Performances
Subpar vocals, bad fashion choices... The season 4 vet hopes the ladies who make it to the top 12 tonight step up their game

ASIA'H EPPERSON Her ''grandma pants caught my attention more than her song,'' writes Nadia Turner (inset). ''Her spunkiness is adorable, but this really wasn't her best night''
All About
American Idol
Want more American Idol?
Write your own fan blog and recaps Compete with other fans in Throwdowns Track your favorite shows and stars EW.com's where fans run the show

By Nadia Turner
You're in the Coca-Cola room. All eight ladies are scattered in various areas, some attempting to fit in a small vocal warm-up, stretching, waving to family and friends in the audience, getting pep talks, or laughing with the staff. Some of us just sit in silence meditating on our upcoming performance. Some of us find ourselves remembering the friend who was eliminated the previous week. Our nerves are off the charts. ''If I don't have the lyrics tonight, I will never have them.'' Our vocal coach, Debra Byrd, comes in, gathers up her wandering sheep, and we sing a song she made up called ''It's Ladies Night on American Idol.'' It's pretty catchy! This is Byrd's way of shaking out the nerves and sneaking in a vocal warm-up at the same time. original.gif Nigel Lythgoe tornadoes in with words of vigor. It was this segment of the competition that I enjoyed the most. ''IT'S LADIES NIGHT ON AMERICAN IDOL.''

However, after watching ladies night last night, I realized that this year' s AI is truly the guys' competition. There is absolutely no comparison between the guys and the girls when it comes to personality, performance, and fashion. Ladies, I’m all for female support, but can we say ''BORING!''? One contestant’s pants had more personality than her (see below), and, by the way, the pants did not have a ''good'' personality. Let me break it down.

Asia'h Epperson's grandma pants caught my attention more than her song. The girl has a great shape, but those pants did her no justice. ''I Want to Dance With Somebody'' sounded as if it was exhausting her. If that was exhausting her, I wonder what physically dancing with somebody would do, LOL! Paula said she nailed it. Not so much. Her spunkiness is adorable, but this really wasn't her best night.

Kady Malloy looked very pretty last night. Unfortunately she was flat a lot. I enjoyed her emotion, but I wasn't too crazy about the song. Thus far, her performance was forgettable. Even now, I find myself trying to remember exactly what she performed. That can't be a good sign!

Her camera angles were everywhere, so I found myself a tad dizzy, but even still, Amanda Overmyer — I dig it. She's raw and a real ball-buster! Her stage presence was fantastic. She nailed the vocal. Based on her cool demeanor, I wonder what's going on behind the scenes. It can be brutal, but you got to keep your head up!

shaky beginning for Carly Smithson, yet seconds later she's building and building BIG. I was not only drawn in by her, but also by that absolutely superb vocal. She’s a keeper! She was my highlight of my evening. It also helps that she has killer tats to go with that voice. You can't help but like her. She should have received much more praise than she got from the judges. You just heard the best vocal of the night! Give the girl some more love!

''Faithfully'' by Journey is a very familiar song to viewers, but for Kristy Lee Cook, it’s lost in the tide. Ummmm...her top was lovely.

At this point, the night was turning out to be quite a drag. Did someone shoot these ladies with a tranquilizer gun? Not only was I disappointed with the performances, but I was also bummed on the wardrobe. I kept hoping to see better performances after the commercial break... sad.gif

Last time I heard ''Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now),'' Scott Savol sang it, and boy did he sing it! There was no life in Ramiele Malubay. I realize that this is a popular song, but she was better off picking an obscure song and really getting the opportunity to knock it out. What was up with grandma's gray sweater?! The ensemble under the sweater was bright and colorful and clearly '80s. Take it off! And what is up with all of Paula's rambling? We could have gone to a commercial break and been back already!

Somebody wants to keep Brooke White on the show. original.gif Special lighting again! Can't hate on her — she is trying to secure her spot in Top 12. Close-ups galore, smoldering eyes — that's for you viewers at home. I enjoyed her acoustic rendition of ''Love Is a Battlefield'' by Pat Benatar.

It is evident that Syesha Mercado is a voice to be reckoned with. With a voice like that, I was hoping to see more. Her performance was effortless, but typical. She will have no problem making it into the Top 12. Her smile is contagious.

There isn't much to say but sheer disappointment with this evening's performances. The guys were by far more exciting. C'mon, ladies! I had to run some laps and re-energize after tonight. The outstanding performances of the evening were Carly and Amanda. Despite tonight’s train wreck, I feel pretty confident that whichever ladies are chosen to go into Top 12 are going to SHUT IT DOWN next week! Tomorrow's a big night!

--------------------
Favorite Season 7 Syesha Mercado-Season 8 Anoop Desai- Season 9 Siobhan Magnus-Season 10 Pia Toscano-Season 11 Jessica Sanchez-Season 12 Candice Glover-Season 13 Malaya Watson

+Quote Post
jdanton2
post Mar 27th 2008, 4:39 PM
Post #3

Nadia reviews the top 10 for EW .

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20007164_2...0186557,00.html

American Idol 2008
'Idol': Nadia Turner On 'Birthday Song' Night
The season 4 vet calls last night's show dull overall -- except for three standouts who took their game to a new level

By Nadia Turner
I expected the Top 10 to come out swinging! What happened?! I was bored throughout the whole night. Most performances were easy to dismiss, yet American Idol's cream still rose to the top. I saw glimmers of hope.

The evening did not start off with a bang. Ramiele Malubay's ''Alone'' was weak. Power vocals are necessary if you're going to tackle this song. While I was roommates with Underwood on our season, I have a fond memory of hearing her practice ''Alone,'' and even then she made it seem like child's play. I loved Ramiele's look but did not like this song for her. It was so nice of the judges to let the viewers know how sick Ramiele is. I wonder if they care to inform us how the others are holding up. There is so much pressure on the voice, you're literally singing in your sleep. Rest is so important but at this stage there is not a lot of time for it. Your chords take an incredible beating throughout this process. You're doing more than singing when you become a part of the Idol team.

I'm not bored with Jason Castro's look, but I am bored with his delivery. Every angle of this performance was lazy. I love ''Fragile,'' but no justice was done for this tune. Jason has become real comfortable in this competition, but that complacency will bite you in the booty.

Syesha Mercado was MAGNIFICENT! I have always agreed her vocals seem effortless, but tonight with ''If I Were Your Woman'' she made it official. Her background lighting was bare. Yet, even without the video backdrops, bling-bling lighting, and smoldering close-ups, she stood her own. I was thrilled to see that she nailed that song. She made a name for herself tonight.

''We Will Rock You'' was a great song choice for the HOT Australian Michael Johns. Was that a DirecTV Concert or American Idol? All the bells and whistles were pulled out for this guy! I've enjoyed Michael from day one, so it's nice to see others behind the scenes agree.

There is a reason why David Cook was the last performance of the night! Cook is above all the rest in this competition. Whether you like him or not, you must appreciate his vision. ''Billie Jean''...WOW! I believe he is going to change American Idol as we know it. He has raised the bar. Karaoke doesn't exist with David Cook.

At this stage of the competition, every moment is vital. Bad, mediocre, and good just won't cut it. Syesha Mercado, Michael Johns and David Cook were the elite performers of the evening!

This post has been edited by jdanton2: Mar 27th 2008, 4:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Apr 24th 2014, 6:17 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol