Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

> Sports Quotes, Post and Share :)
KrAzY4kAt
post Nov 5th 2007, 9:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. Teams: Cubs Bears Bulls Bhawks

I thought I'd start a topic to post some of your favorite sports quotes...

I love this one: “People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

--------------------

You can't replace Santo, you copy his spirit. You find a way to find the good in everything, every day. You laugh at yourself as heartily as you laugh with others. You suffer without complaint and stand tall in the face of disappointment. You battle.

RIP Ronnie, you will be missed
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Nov 5th 2007, 9:13 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
carriefanforever
post Nov 5th 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #2

Fav. AI8: Megan Joy and Kris Allen

here are some quotes from my favorite broadcaster of all time..Ernie Harwell heart.gif

"A tall, thin old man waving a scorecard from the corner of his dugout. That's baseball."

"Baseball is a lot like life. It's a day-to-day existence, full of ups and downs. You make the most of your opportunities in baseball as you do in life."

"Baseball is a rookie. His experience no bigger than the lump in his throat as he begins fulfillment of his dream."

"Baseball is a spirited race of man against man, reflex against reflex. A game of inches. Every skill is measured. Every heroic, every failing is seen and cheered, or booed. And then becomes a statistic."

"In baseball democracy shines its clearest. The only race that matters is the race to the bag. The creed is the rulebook. Color merely something to distinguish one team's uniform from another."

most of those are from his HOF induction speech, & this is how he ended it:
"Baseball is a tongue tied kid from Georgia growing up to be an announcer and praising the Lord for showing him the way to Cooperstown. This is a game for America. Still a game for America, this baseball! Thank you."
heart.gif heart.gif i love him

and this one gets me every time crying.gif
"But most of all, I'm a part of you people out there who have listened to me, because especially you people in Michigan, you Tiger fans, you've given me so much warmth, so much affection and so much love."
heart.gif

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/Ernie_...Induction.shtml

This post has been edited by carriefanforever: Nov 5th 2007, 10:09 PM

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
+Quote Post
KrAzY4kAt
post Nov 5th 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(carriefanforever @ Nov 5th 2007, 10:05 PM) *

here are some quotes from my favorite broadcaster of all time..Ernie Harwell heart.gif

most of those are from his HOF induction speech, & this is how he ended it:
"Baseball is a tongue tied kid from Georgia growing up to be an announcer and praising the Lord for showing him the way to Cooperstown. This is a game for America. Still a game for America, this baseball! Thank you."
heart.gif heart.gif i love him

aww
he reminds me a little bit of ron santo.
isn't he the one trying to save tiger stadium?

--------------------

You can't replace Santo, you copy his spirit. You find a way to find the good in everything, every day. You laugh at yourself as heartily as you laugh with others. You suffer without complaint and stand tall in the face of disappointment. You battle.

+Quote Post
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Nov 5th 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #4

Fav. AI7: Michael Johns
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI11: Hollie Cavanagh

Vince Lombardi. heart.gif
A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done.

Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.

Leaders aren't born they are made. And they are made just like anything else, through hard work. And that's the price we'll have to pay to achieve that goal, or any goal.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/...e_lombardi.html

I love this one.
I was a fan for many years. I ran a club, and one thing I've known, I've been convinced of, is that every fan has to have hope and faith. If you remove hope and faith from the mind of a fan, you destroy the fabric of the sport.
-Bud Selig

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”

“One of the beautiful things about baseball is that every once in a while you come into a situation where you want to, and where you have to, reach down and prove something.”

“There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens.”

“The trouble with baseball is that it is not played the year round.”
http://thinkexist.com/quotations/baseball/

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
RIP Cory Monteith. | My Disney Tumblr.
+Quote Post
KrAzY4kAt
post Nov 5th 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Jordan-N-Torifan @ Nov 5th 2007, 10:12 PM) *

“The trouble with baseball is that it is not played the year round.”

so true yes.gif

“Baseball is almost the only orderly thing in a very unorderly world. If you get three strikes, even the best lawyer in the world can't get you off.” -- Bill Veeck

“You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all.” -- Earl Weaver

“Baseball is a slow, sluggish game, with frequent and trivial interruptions, offering the spectator many opportunities to reflect at leisure upon the situation on the field: This is what a fan loves most about the game” -- Edward Abbey

that puts it perfectly

--------------------

+Quote Post
carriefanforever
post Nov 5th 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #6

mannn i had a nice long post typed out, but idf messed it up blarg.gif anyway...

i can't help but cry everytime i watch this video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=813NOCfaNOo
even if you aren't a Tigers fan, you'll probably tear up too.

Less than six months ago, we began a warm season of farewells, and with each passing day, we came a little bit closer to this historic occasion, September 27th, 1999.

The Lions, Joe Louis, Nelson Mandela. 6,873 regular season games, 35 postseason contests, and a trio of spectacular All-Star games, Tiger Stadium has been home to this great game of baseball. But more than anything, it’s been a cherished home to our memories. When you remember that last base hit, the last out, how about that last pitch or maybe it’s the first time as a child you saw that green, green grass that will forever be etched into your mind. And so tonight we say goodbye, but we will not forget. Open your eyes, look around, and take a mental picture. Moments like this shall live on forever. It’s been 88 moving years at Michigan and Trumbull. The tradition built here shall endure along with the permanence of the Olde English ‘D’. But tonight we must say goodbye. Farwell old friend. Tiger Stadium, we will remember.

crying.gif crying.gif

this part especially:
When you remember that last base hit, the last out, how about that last pitch or maybe it’s the first time as a child you saw that green, green grass that will forever be etched into your mind.

heart.gif

and here's a slideshow with the Baseball Is thing written by Old Ernie kiss.gif
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aHVsFU4sSho
he sounds so young there.

QUOTE(KrAzY4kAt @ Nov 5th 2007, 10:09 PM) *

aww
he reminds me a little bit of ron santo.
isn't he the one trying to save tiger stadium?

yeahh..he's so sweet. i met him in toronto while he was waiting for an elevator. i was really shy, and i wasn't using the elevator so i just went up and smiled at him. and he was like, "welllll hello there young lady!" and i was like, "hiii" then i asked him for his autograph. heart.gif he missed the elevator sad.gif but that's what makes him so sweet tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
KrAzY4kAt
post Nov 5th 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #7

awww crying.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Nov 5th 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #8

“I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team, I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion.”

“A champion is someone who does not settle for that day's practice, that day's competition, that day's performance. They are always striving to be better. They don't live in the past.”

“It's why we play the game. Anything is possible, anything can happen, and we proved that again tonight.”

The rules of soccer are very simple, basically it is this: if it moves, kick it. If it doesn't move, kick it until it does.

"Hey, all the guys are MVP's. It wasn't just one of us it was all of us together."

--------------------

+Quote Post
ShortstopVM
post Nov 5th 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #9

Fav. SYTYCD5: Karla Garcia
Fav. SYTYCD7: Lauren Froderman
Fav. MLB: New York Mets

Here are some of my Favorite Sports Quotes:

"Hello? Hello? You play to win the game!"
- Herm Edwards, former head coach of the New York Jets (currently the Kansas City Chiefs' Head Coach)

"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?"
- Allen Iverson, former foward for the Philadelphia 76ers (currently with the Denver Nuggets)

"I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now, and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell... 'LET'S GO METS! LET'S GO METS! LET'S GO METS!...'"
- New York Mets, with material borrowed from Howard Beale from "Network"

"Austin 3:16 says 'I just kicked your censored.gif!'"
-Stone Cold Steve Austin, former WWE Champion

"October's the time to root *against* the Yankees!"
- Tommy Lasorda, former manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers

Oh, and this quote I live (and die) by:

"If you don't want to see the opposing team celebrate, don't let them score."
- Anonymous; old sports adage

This post has been edited by ShortstopVM: Nov 5th 2007, 10:32 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
(Thank you to o0itzAnGiE and to Stacey for the blinkies!)
NYG|NYK|NYR|UMD | IPB Image I support KARLA always! | IPB Image | LET'S GO METS
+Quote Post
KrAzY4kAt
post Nov 5th 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #10

I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile. -- Tom Clark

A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. -- Humphrey Bogart

A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings. -- Earl Wilson

Baseball was made for kids, and grown-ups only screw it up. -- Bob Lemon

When they start the game, they don't yell, "Work ball." They say, "Play ball." -- Willie Stargell, 1981

Back then, my idol was Bugs Bunny, because I saw a cartoon of him playing ball - you know, the one where he plays every position himself with nobody else on the field but him? Now that I think of it, Bugs is still my idol. You have to love a ballplayer like that. -- Nomar Garciaparra
heart.gif nomahhh kiss.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Nov 5th 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #11

From this article.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=328260

But as the Wave players danced around on the Savvis Field turf in St. Louis, following their second straight 10-9 victory in the series, the thrill in the eyes of many first-time champions could be seen.

"I was talking with Matty (Schmidt), and we came to the finals together and lost three times," Fontana said. "It was so painful. And now we got to celebrate.

"I think the MVP is the whole team. We fought to the end to get the result. Our composure was good on the bench, and we believed in each other. We didn't fight each other when we were down; we didn't panic."

--------------------

+Quote Post
KrAzY4kAt
post Nov 5th 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #12

Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. -- Jim Murray

Baseball is the only sport I know that when you're on offense, the other team controls the ball. -- Ken Harrelson, Sports Illustrated, 6 September 1976

Every hitter likes fastballs, just like everybody likes ice cream. But you don't like it when someone's stuffing it into you by the gallon. That's what it feels like when Nolan Ryan's thrown balls by you. -- Reggie Jackson

Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field? -- Jim Bouton, 1988
haha.gif

Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field? -- Jim Bouton, 1988

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. -- A. Bartlett Giamatti, "The Green Fields of the Mind," Yale Alumni Magazine, November 1977

The designated hitter rule is like letting someone else take Wilt Chamberlain's free throws. -- Rick Wise, 1974
i agree yes.gif

this is fun original.gif i love looking at old quotes grin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
KrAzY4kAt
post Nov 5th 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #13

It's no coincidence that female interest in the sport of baseball has increased greatly since the ballplayers swapped those wonderful old-time baggy flannel uniforms for leotards. -- Mike Royko
innocent.gif

Wives of ballplayers, when they teach their children their prayers, should instruct them how to say: "God bless Mommy, God bless Daddy, God bless Babe Ruth. Babe Ruth has upped Daddy's paycheck by fifteen to forty percent." -- Waite Hoyt
laughing.gif

Baseball is the only place in life where a sacrifice is really appreciated. -- Author Unknown

You don't save a pitcher for tomorrow. Tomorrow it may rain. -- Leo Durocher, in New York Times, 16 May 1965
thank you. maybe lou should take note. innocent.gif

I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks in batting practice. -- Casey Stengel, 1967

It ain't like football. You can't make up no trick plays. -- Yogi Berra

Baseball, to me, is still the national pastime because it is a summer game. I feel that almost all Americans are summer people, that summer is what they think of when they think of their childhood. I think it stirs up an incredible emotion within people. -- Steve Busby, in Washington Post, 8 July 1974
wub.gif

Every player should be accorded the privilege of at least one season with the Chicago Cubs. That's baseball as it should be played - in God's own sunshine. And that's really living. -- Alvin Dark
love you too kiss.gif

The other sports are just sports. Baseball is a love. -- Bryant Gumbel, 1981

More than any other American sport, baseball creates the magnetic, addictive illusion that it can almost be understood. -- Thomas Boswell, in Inside Sports

Baseball? It's just a game - as simple as a ball and a bat. Yet, as complex as the American spirit it symbolizes. It's a sport, business - and sometimes even religion. -- Ernie Harwell, "The Game for All America," 1955

Baseball is for the leisurely afternoons of summer and for the unchanging dreams. -- Roger Kahn

Things could be worse. Suppose your errors were counted and published every day, like those of a baseball player. -- Author Unknown
laughing.gif

I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshiped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance. -- Ron Shelton, Bull Durham, 1988

The great thing about baseball is that there's a crisis every day. -- Gabe Paul

I have discovered in twenty years of moving around a ball park, that the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats. -- Bill Veeck
sadly, thats very true

Putting lights in Wrigley Field is like putting aluminum siding on the Sistine Chapel. -- Roger Simon, 1988

This post has been edited by KrAzY4kAt: Nov 5th 2007, 10:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
carriefanforever
post Nov 5th 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(KrAzY4kAt @ Nov 5th 2007, 10:39 PM) *

A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings. -- Earl Wilson

EXACTLY. pinch.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Nov 5th 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #15

Brewers quotes
“I'm suffering now so I won't have to suffer later,”

“We did have champagne in Pittsburgh that we were going to break open, not for a champagne party but for a toast, ... We were going to have a champagne toast to put losing seasons behind us and look at the winning seasons ahead of us. We didn't pop it open because we didn't win another game.”

“This is our little five-game World Series right now. We're right there; we've definitely got something to shoot for.”

--------------------

+Quote Post
ShortstopVM
post Nov 5th 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #16

Fav. SYTYCD5: Karla Garcia
Fav. SYTYCD7: Lauren Froderman
Fav. MLB: New York Mets

"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical."
- Yogi Berra, former manager of the New York Yankees

"You know what's really great about baseball?... You can't fake it. You know, anything else in life you don't have to be great in - business, music, art - I mean you can get lucky... Yeah, you can fool everyone for awhile, you know? It's like - not - not baseball. You can either hit a curveball or you can't. That's the way it works... You can have a lucky day, sure, but you can't have a lucky career..."
- Ben Wrightman from "Fever Pitch"

--------------------
IPB Image
(Thank you to o0itzAnGiE and to Stacey for the blinkies!)
NYG|NYK|NYR|UMD | IPB Image I support KARLA always! | IPB Image | LET'S GO METS
+Quote Post
KrAzY4kAt
post Nov 5th 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(carriefanforever @ Nov 5th 2007, 10:53 PM) *

EXACTLY. pinch.gif

it's the worst on the fans tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Nov 5th 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #18

There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit. ~Al Gallagher, 1971

Baseball was made for kids, and grown-ups only screw it up. ~Bob Lemon
That was in Little Big League!!!!!!!! blushing.gif

I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game. It will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set. Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us. ~Walt Whitman

I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it. ~Rogers Hornsby

When you're in a slump, it's almost as if you look out at the field and it's one big glove. ~Vance Law

With those who don't give a damn about baseball, I can only sympathize. I do not resent them. I am even willing to concede that many of them are physically clean, good to their mothers and in favor of world peace. But while the game is on, I can't think of anything to say to them. ~Art Hill

Say this much for big league baseball - it is beyond question the greatest conversation piece ever invented in America. ~Bruce Catton

The charm of baseball is that, dull as it may be on the field, it is endlessly fascinating as a rehash. ~Jim Murray

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. ~A. Bartlett Giamatti, "The Green Fields of the Mind," Yale Alumni Magazine, November 1977

I've come to the conclusion that the two most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen. ~Bob Lemon, 1981

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball. ~Mickey Mantle, 1970

--------------------

+Quote Post
KrAzY4kAt
post Nov 5th 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(ShortstopVM @ Nov 5th 2007, 11:04 PM) *

"Fever Pitch"

i love love love that movie!
i want someone to make a movie like that about the cubs heart.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
LuvGrowsWhereMorganGoes
post Nov 5th 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #20

That's Tawny Burke to you!

Fav. AI1: R.J. Helton
Fav. AI6: Chris Sligh
Fav. AI7: David Archuleta

UGH!!!!! I had just posted like 9872482 quotes and it didn't send! angry.gif

“The fact that we've won division titles in such strange ways every single year, I don't think there is one thing you can say other than Bobby Cox.”-John Smoltz wub.gif

Had to start with one Braves related tongue.gif

"A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings."-Earl Wilson

"When you're in a slump, it's almost as if you look out at the field and it's one big glove."-Vance Law

"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base."-Dave Barry

"Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer."-Ted Williams

"There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit."-Al Gallagher

"Baseball is the only sport I know that when you're on offense, the other team controls the ball."-Ken Harrelson

"It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone."-A. Bartlett Giamatti

"Baseball is almost the only orderly thing in a very unorderly world. If you get three strikes, even the best lawyer in the world can't get you off."-Bill Veeck

"No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference."-Tommy Lasorda

"A baseball park is the one place where a man's wife doesn't mind his getting excited over somebody else's curves."-Brendan Francis

"The other sports are just sports. Baseball is a love."-Bryant Gumbel

--------------------
Braves-Marlins-Rays- Heat- Dolphins
+Quote Post

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Dec 20th 2014, 3:44 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol