Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

> Flying by with the Butterfly Bandit - Performance Show - 07/25/06
ButterflyBandit
post Jul 25th 2006, 9:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

“Are You Ready for a New Sensation?”

Well, it looks like Miss Burke is. Dressed in a baby doll-type top and a shimmery, gold skirt, she’s primed to play the part of the opening-scene dead hottie, should “Scream 4” ever be made. Couldn’t you see it now?

Scary Voice: What’s your favorite scary movie, Brooke?
Brooke: *twirls hair* Crossroads.

Okay, maybe not, but the outfit is one of her weirder ones. She still looks fabulous, though, as she goes through the routine. She shows us the rockers on their pods, the Mad Hatters on their platform, and finally Dave who’s looking like…well, he always does.

She tells us Faux-Depp will be stepping down to play amongst the rockers for one mysterious song, and I’m sure they’re going to drag it out as long as they can. Then, she sends us into a clip of life in the Rocker Mansion, where the boys of Supernova dropped in for a little visit. Their music, as they play it for the kiddies, is very casual, kind of reminiscent of the Stones. All of this will play into the little conspiracy theory I’m cooking up in my Butterfly Brain. (See end of column for details)

Gilby tells them now they know what they’re looking for - while Jason uses the word “you’se” - and they firmly let it be known there are no more excuses. Will that shake the first rocker up? Let’s see…

Lukas tackles “Bittersweet Symphony” by The Verve, and I’m wondering when this song became a rock song. But, it won’t be the only song choice making me scratch my head tonight. I like what he attempted to do with the song (all you Lukas fans can thank one well-timed Deepak Chopra book for that!), but the execution wasn’t too great. The lights show was nice, showed his gift for technical things . . .the vocals just weren’t there. Between singing like he’s chewing gravel and weird jerking on stage, I wasn’t feeling it. But, I will give him a solid B for the arrangement effort alone.

Zayra and “Call Me” by Blondie sounds like a match made in Heaven. I enjoyed her a lot tonight, and, I’m woman enough to admit that part of it was the “If this doesn’t work, I’m trying out for Showtime’s remake of the Power Rangers series” blue outfit. She just felt in her element, and, I appreciate artists when they’re in their element. Dave didn’t agree, though. He told her to get started on her solo career, and Supernova thinks she went down a peg.

Last week, Josh got slammed for going acoustic on a Nirvana song, but this week it works out very, very well for Dana, who pulls up a stool and a guitar and sings, “About a Girl.” I think this was very impressive. I still don’t buy her as the next Melissa Etheridge or anything, but she’s getting there. It was grittier, dirtier, and, if she keeps this up, I think she could be a real contender for this thing. Dave tells her she’s finally “looking damaged enough to be a rocker,” and Faux-Depp is shocked. Her secret? She says she had a beer backstage, but I think Dilana really strapped her down and made her watch a scary montage of horrors no girl her age should have to face…like Richard Simmons.

Patrice’s “Remedy” (by the Black Crowes) doesn’t do anything for me except remind me of SuMac. I’ve liked her in weeks before, and I didn’t hate her tonight. I do, however, agree with Dave’s assessment that she was boring. They get into a spar. He says she should change things up, and when she incredulously asks if he does, he says, “yes, but I have a job. I’m not auditioning.” Burn. I wouldn’t be shocked to see her in the bottom three, but I’m not holding my breath.

Long ago, Billy Idol had a little song called “White Wedding,” which Toby took on next. It was really, really strong. He’s amped up the stage presence and, while I don’t think it’s going to be gaining him an encore this week, Supernova agrees it’s his best performance yet. And, I so want to mate with him and have little Aussie-Butterfly babies. Unless he wants to use Zayra’s spacesuit as a condom…

Magni and “Heroes” by David Bowie could have been better. I’ve forgiven him for the Stones blunder from the first week, and I’ve been enjoying him for a while (despite looking/sounding like Chris Daughtry). Tonight? I didn’t like it. I didn’t hate it. I was pretty indifferent to the whole performance. What I’m not so passive towards is the way that he slams Zayra’s blue spandex shtick. I don’t care who you are, but no guy who looks like a Daughtry clone and who stole Bono’s sunglasses, gets to challenge anyone else’s shtick. Karma strikes when Supernova isn’t receptive to him, but does manage to squeak out something about a solid vocal.

Meanwhile, I can’t believe I’m defending Zayra of all people!

Perhaps the second biggest performance-shocker of the night comes from Ryan Star, who, judging by the weeks before, should have stunk up the joint. He does “I, Alone” by Live, and somehow manages to both not suck *and* entertain while doing it. My favorite part? The drum walk. Across the board, the song and delivery were perfect for him.

When we get back from the break, we find Faux-Depp has strapped in for a little number with Jill. For the fourth week in a row, someone’s taking on a Stones song (again, see my conspiracy theory at the end of the column), and “Brown Sugar” wouldn’t have been as bad as it was if Jill would just stop acting like she’s some hussymonkey on stage. You’d best be stepping off. No one goes all grindy on my Gilby but me. Oh, and, sometimes his wife. The performance wasn’t something to write home about, but it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. And, I’m glad they call her on using sex as a weapon. The last thing she’s told is that Dave would grind with her, but it’s OK if he says that, since he’s single now.

Phil threatens to “drive it home” with the Wallflowers’ “One Headlight.” And, at first he only appears to have had about a half a box of Lunesta tonight. Like Magni tonight, I’m really indifferent to everything. I just hope that he doesn’t bobble so much while he’s driving. Between that and looking like he’s a textbook narcoleptic, he’s a driver’s education video waiting to happen. Also? He makes Jase Face (BB7 reference) for the cameras.

Cyndi Lauper was walking through the woods one day when she was bitten by a vampire. That vampire took her back to his village, made her princess, and put her in a weird pink dress. Her new name? Dilana. She does “Time After Time” and, I don’t love it as much as I’ve loved her in weeks before, but I do think it was quite solid. I think that what set me off the most, was that she moved around so much. All the movement, I think, distracted me from her awesome vocals. She’s still one of my faves, though, and Supernova thinks she can do no wrong.

Josh is next-to-last with “No Rain” by Blind Melon. It isn’t a secret that I have my biases (even though I try to look at everyone through un-jaded eyes, I’m only human). That said, I really, really like Josh. I think he’s the best male vocalist in this competition, and that in any other singing forum he’d be a force to be reckoned with. He just isn’t what I’d say Supernova needs. I think he’s got it in him to grow, but these guys are seasoned professionals who know what sound they want, and he’s a kid who only knows what sound he’s got. I think he’s going to go far, and I appreciate him when he tells them they should be more open to him since their music does have a soulful sound to it. I just don’t think he’s going to last very much longer.

Finally, Storm Large takes a pair of gloves and slaps every single one of the performers before her in the face with a stunning rendition of “Anything, Anything” by Damarama. This was everything a performance at this stage needs to be. She had the vocals, she had the presence, she even had the trademark SuMac stage dive. Dave loved it, Tommy got a bunch of “hell yeah’s!” for it, and I have nothing but love for the Storm.

Early Bottom 3: Josh, Jill, Zayra
My Bottom 3: Lukas, Patrice, Magni.

~*~*~*~*~*NOW for what you’ve all been waiting for … Butterfly Bandit’s conspiracy theory. For weeks on end we’ve been hearing music from the Stones and Nirvana. In fact, I think there hasn’t been a week yet where we haven’t heard one of these bands’ songs. That said, I think that maybe those bands are secretly in cahoots to reform/regroup and in four or five more seasons, we’ll be seeing Rock Star: All Stars: The Rolling Nirvana. You laugh now, but when we’re watching it, who’ll be laughing then?! Bwahahaha ~*~*~*~*~*

Well, at least I was right about Bush’s wiretapping. We can’t all be right all of the time.

--------------------
IPB Image
Banner by me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Jul 25th 2006, 9:59 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
Insanitic
post Jul 25th 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #2

Fav. AI6: Melinda Doolittle
Fav. AI8: Adam Lambert
Fav. TV: BSG

lol thanks for the review! original.gif

--------------------
“Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” - Cecil Beaton
+Quote Post
RyanStarrIsHot
post Jul 25th 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #3

Fav. AI1: Ryan Starr
Fav. AI2: Ruben Studdard
Fav. RockStar Inxs: Jordis Unga

QUOTE(ButterflyBandit @ Jul 25th 2006, 10:59 PM) *

“Are You Ready for a New Sensation?”

Well, it looks like Miss Burke is. Dressed in a baby doll-type top and a shimmery, gold skirt, she’s primed to play the part of the opening-scene dead hottie, should “Scream 4” ever be made. Couldn’t you see it now?

haha.gif You always make fun of my favorite everything sad.gif

First it was Ryan Starr (notice the two r's thumbsup.gif ) now it's Scream laughing.gif

Great review!

--------------------
My Top 3

IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
person128
post Jul 25th 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #4

Fav. AI9: John Park
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. Idol Archetype: The Rocker

Nice thumbsup.gif Pretty much agree with everything, especially Lukas and Josh.

This post has been edited by person128: Jul 25th 2006, 10:20 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ButterflyBandit
post Jul 26th 2006, 1:25 AM
Post #5

Oh, I wasn't making fun of Scream! I love everything related to Scream, and if they made a Scream 4 and broke the trilogy, I'd be sooooooo mad. I'd go see it, but I'd be mad when I saw it!

And, thanks to everyone who reads it. It always makes me happy when people read these things. For me, Lukas needs to stop being such a control freak and listen to advice. And, Josh ... I just wanna cuddle with him.

--------------------
IPB Image
Banner by me.
+Quote Post
CloudFuel
post Jul 26th 2006, 9:09 AM
Post #6

Fav. AI5: Chris Daughtry
Fav. Judge: Simon Cowell
Fav. AI7: David Cook

Another awesome one! You rock!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ButterflyBandit
post Jul 26th 2006, 1:27 PM
Post #7

*Takes a bow* Thank you, Thank you.

--------------------
IPB Image
Banner by me.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Dec 19th 2014, 7:52 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol