Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "The morning after" review, kinda like a hangover, without the fun of being drunk
silly_me
post Aug 31st 2005, 8:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. CI2: Jacob Hoggard
Fav. CI3: Stéphane Aubin
Fav. Rock Star INXS: J.D. Fortune

Ok so here it is, Wednesday morning and I decided to write a re-cap. Why? Because. We're not here to ask questions, we're here to re-cap!

Speaking of re-caps, shocker of shocker that's how last nights show started off! Brook Burke comes out looking like she just got back from being an extra in Jessica Simpson's latest video, and of course Dave Navarro makes his cutesy "Those boots definately weren't made for walking" comment, to which she just giggles. Seriously, if she had worn those boots that that "belt-skirt" she wore the other week, people would've been tucking money into those boots.

Anyway, on with the show. I'm considering not watching the Monday night show anymore. Why? Because in an effort to have this show reach it's hour time-frame, the re-cap has now basically become a re-broadcast of the previous nights show. And then of course we get to sit there and discuss it a bit more.
Dave Navarro spent this evening in Anti-JD mode. Or so it was edited to appear. They ask JD about his lack of preperation, and he says he thought he was going to go in there and that the guys would direct him as to what they wanted. He asks Andrew and John if they were disappointed with what JD did in the studio, and they dance around a direct answer and say "The clinic was about bringing who you are into the studio with you, and that's just what you did." Now this can be taken 1 of a couple ways. Here's 2 possibilities:
1. You're a great performer, you struggled a bit in the studio, but you're extremely talented and we may forgive you this time.
2. You're a lazy idiot, that's who you are, and that's who came to the studio, pack your bags if you end up in the bottom 3, you're OUTTA HERE!!!
Mig also made a comment that surprised me and somewhat defended JD, but I can't remember what it was.
They also question Jordis' decision to change the melody. She takes the opposite road that JD did, choosing to have "over-prepared" and said she thought that the melody they were given was a skeleton for them to work from and they could put themselves into it. Andrew still seems disappointed and says no, that would be the case if we were co-writing a song, but this was a finished project. (Side Text: DONT F#%K WITH MY SONG, B$#%H!!!)
There's a bit of discussion as to the other rockers but lets move on or MY re-cap will be as long as theirs was.

Ty is first to perform this evening, with the backing of the choir on "You Can't Always Get What You Want". He adjusts the lyrics towards the middle to incorporate INXS lyrics (while giving them all looks that I"m sure made them all feel a little funny inside), this is the biggest, longest Tygrin we've seen to date as it doesn't end from the time he walks out on the stage to the time he walks off, and I still prefer the Stones interpretation, with it being under-sung and softer off the top, and kicking in later on. Vocally, Ty is good. Is he talented? Sure. Do I enjoy his performances 800% more if I listen to just the audio and have no visual of Ty's teeth to go with it? Most definately. But the band just eats it up. I'm surprised that Dave didn't come up with another cutesy phrase like Ty-tastic or something. Regardless, you've seen the polls on the board and Ty gets my vote for Most Likely To Cry In The Bottom 3.

JD is up next. I know I am going to get slandered, hated, thought to only be of this opinion because of JD's looks, but the more this happens, the more I think JD fans deserve credit...it ain't easy being a JD fan!
Anyway. He has some problems. There are a few various pitch issues, with one glaringly obvious flat note right towards the end, but he works the stage, he works the crowd, he interacts with the band, we even see him smile a bit in this performance, and I just really got the feeling that HE was loving the performance, and that made ME love it even more. But not the judges. However I give them credit for not pointing out the pitch problems because how many times have they told other contestants it's not about hitting all the right notes? Dave says he thought it was a good performance but doesn't feel that it will elevate him at all in the competition. I'm not exactly sure how that works, but ok. OBINXS seems curious as to why, with his background, JD chose to do an Elvis song. Possibly my favourite quote to date is "Dance monkey, dance! And it pissed me off." haha.gif Anyway, JD says how it was his oppurtunity to perform the song as HIM, not as Elvis, and Dave says he hopes JD got the closure he was looking for. Combine that comment with the tone of voice, and look on Dave's face, and it almost came across as "I hope you got closure because you didn't get much else out of that".

And from there I don't remember what order they performed in exactly so I'll just go.

I think Marty was next...I could be wrong. Marty did Pink Floyd's Wish You Were here. Can I just say how much I LOVED this performance?! I was giddy with delight to here Marty SING an entire song! He sounded amazing, it's not the type of song that calls for a lot of stage movement so I take no issue with his standing in one spot (you'll understand more later on), and it was like a whole new Marty. He got really emotional and almost cried after the performance, and the judges all loved it too. I would say this is my favourite Marty performance to date, very impressive indeed.

Jordis did Imagine. Yes I'm prejudice, yes I have an opinion, and I am of the opinion that Jordis is over-rated. I will also admit that she sang this song fairly well. I say "fairly" because i think she could have taken the key down a semi-tone or even a full tone for the higher range to be a tad easier, but she redeemed herself nicely from last week. However, like...Kirk I think it was, I was a tad confused as to the guitar. It seemed odd to have this whole big orchestra along with the band backing you, and you decide to pull out the acoustic guitar. I don't think it really took anything away from the performance, but I don't really get the sense that it added anything either, and just seemed like a strange choice. And she was also a bit happy, considering. Not as happy as Ty, but Jordis does seem to have this little perpetual grin that follows her through her performances. I don't think it was an epic performance, but it was by no means awful.

Then there's Mig. Mig (Yes I know he spells it MiG, I'm boycotting.) sings Live and Let Die. Which I feel comes off as his weakest performance to date. He sounds awfully nasaly off the start of it, he sings through parts that are meant to be instrumental breaks, and at one point, he looks and it almost sounds like he missed his cue or forgot to come in or screwed it up in some way. I've never had any real problem with Mig, but I just didn't get this performance. Of course, I've always been a bigger fan of the instrumental in that song rather than the vocals anyway, and the fact that Mig took it upon himself to sing through them all kind of bothered me. I think he tried a bit too hard this week. I wouldn't be sad to see him in the bottom 3, but I don't see INXS booting him either if he is.

And then there was Suzie. Aaahh Suzie who started everyone up last week, takes on Bohemian Rhapsody. We saw her struggle with it in practice, but off the start she is spot on. Vocals are strong, she looks great, and I'm looking forward to the whole song, as this is one that kind of goes all over the map. And the further into the song she goes, the further over the map Suzie goes. Now, this wasn't as horribly wrong as this song could go, but it wasn't as amazingly wonderful as it could be either. There were some pitch issues, and I thought she worked the stage surprisingly LITTLE, especially on the up-tempo parts. For me, the funnest parts of the performance were seeing the gospel choir moshing, and Rafael singing the high notes. All in all, it didn't crash and burn, but I think the judges over-played how fantastic it was a bit. I guess after Start Me UP last week, I was expecting a bit more.

So ok, we see early voting results showing JD, Ty, and Marty making up the early 3. The only one of those that shocks me is Marty. Put Mig there and you'd have who I think should/will be bottom 3. Ty because, well like I said, you've seen the polls. And you want more confirmation of Ty's un-popularity than just this board? Log onto his Myspace on the official site and compare the number of comments on his blog to the other contestants. 'Nuff said.
Mig I would put in the bottom 3 because I think it's his time. I wouldn't send him home yet, but I thought he was one of the weaker performers on a night when no one was glaringly weak.
And JD I think will end up in the bottom 3 largely because of the Monday show, and also because of some of the pitch issues. Which is one interesting thing about this show. We see the "Reality TV" side of it and form opinions of the rockers, and many people vote based on their favourite, not necessarily based on who they feel gave the best performance. And that's not just for JD either, that's for all rockers, but JD just ends up losing votes because he's "the villian", so no matter HOW WELL he may perform, there are people who will still refuse to vote for him.

However, when was the last time you went out and bought a CD because you thought to yourself "Wow, those guys are REALLY NICE!"
Nice people can put out CD's all they want, doesn't mean they make good music.

But alas, I'm not gonna change anyone's opinion, sway any votes, or generally do any good with that sort of thing so I'll end it here. [/REVIEW]

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Aug 31st 2005, 8:49 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

b_fly26
post Aug 31st 2005, 10:16 AM
Post #2

Fav. AI4: Bo Bice
Fav. AI10: Paul McDonald
Fav. Stars: Marty,Jason,Blake,Sio

Great review. wink.gif

--------------------
ai11: jessica, colton, philjun | graphics: ai10, ai11
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
SMILE, cuties : djokovic, berdych, fish, murray, nadal | tumblr | twitter
+Quote Post
danyul911
post Aug 31st 2005, 2:08 PM
Post #3

Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. AI3: Leah LaBelle
Fav. Idol: Cosima De Vito

Great job thumbsup.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Thanks Trivanlover
+Quote Post
Diane
post Aug 31st 2005, 2:30 PM
Post #4

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson

I agree with you, especially about JD, Marty & Jordis.

But I do think Suzie's performance was bad. whistling.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Credit: Bzz to Bee
+Quote Post
JessiesGirl
post Sep 1st 2005, 3:44 AM
Post #5

Fav. RockStar: Jessica Robinson

QUOTE(silly_me @ Aug 31st 2005, 7:49 AM)
However, when was the last time you went out and bought a CD because you thought to yourself "Wow, those guys are REALLY NICE!"
Nice people can put out CD's all they want, doesn't mean they make good music.

I completely agree. For the most part, I'm not even interested in what my favorite performers' personalities are offstage. And in cases where I do have knowledge of their personalities, it doesn't usually influence my appreciation of their music. For instance, Paul McCartney and Gene Simmons both grate on my nerves to no end--it doesn't mean I like the music of the Beatles (or Paul's Wings/solo stuff) or KISS any less.

Great review, by the way! thumbsup.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
// avatar by alli // blend by kayy //
+Quote Post
silly_me
post Sep 2nd 2005, 6:36 AM
Post #6

Fav. CI2: Jacob Hoggard
Fav. CI3: Stéphane Aubin
Fav. Rock Star INXS: J.D. Fortune

Thanks everyone huggy.gif Glad you liked it!

--------------------
+Quote Post
MGMRocks
post Sep 2nd 2005, 8:28 AM
Post #7

Fav. AI5: Taylor Hicks
Fav. Big Brother: Brendon & Rachel

Great recap grin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Funtasticia
post Sep 3rd 2005, 6:25 AM
Post #8

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI3: Fantasia Barrino
Fav. Rockstar INXS: Jordis Unga

disagree with Jordis being overrated, but agree that Suzie did horrible blarg.gif

--------------------
user posted image

thanks for Lori (id0lwatcher) @ Glamorous Graphics* for my siggy and avvy <3
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Sep 17th 2014, 2:33 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol