Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thoughts On The First Week
eNewsZone
post Aug 29th 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Although this show should have been far more entertaining than "The One," I think it really proved how important honest judging is to a reality competition.

We had great performances from Jai Rodriguez and, to a far lesser extent, Alfonso Ribiero (his first one), Lucy Lawless (her second one) and Lea Thompson (her second one). We had entertaining personalities in Chris Jericho and Hal Sparks. But, I just couldn't really get interested. I blame the judges.

"American Idol" and "Dancing With The Stars" work because the judging is honest, or, at the very least, reasonable. Thus, you can get a true assessment of what the judges think about the contestants, and whether each participant is growing over the show. The judging didn't even make sense tonight: David Foster pretty much dismissed Cheech Marin as a singer and praised Chris Jericho's second performance big time, yet Chris Jericho was the one sent home. Carly Patterson was awful, but the judges didn't really lace into her. And Jai Rodriguez didn't get nearly the amount of praise he deserved.

These aren't kids - these are thick-skinned celebrities who know how to face rejection (trust me) and criticism. They can take honest feedback.

Plus, I felt like some of the performers (Womack, Bolton, Frampton) really phoned it in.

As for my thoughts, Jai Rodriguez is the best singer, but he doesn't come in with much of a fanbase. Cheech Marin will be considered "adorable" by America and should last a few weeks, while Alfonso Ribiero and Lucy Lawless are decent AND have lots of fans. I don't think anyone else really has a chance.

This post has been edited by eNewsZone: Aug 29th 2006, 11:11 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Aug 29th 2006, 11:10 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

zealandDream
post Aug 30th 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #2

Fav. CI2: Kalan Porter
Fav. CI5: Jaydee Bixby
Fav. AI7: David Archuleta

My favorite performer of the night was Hal Sparks. But, my favorite performance was Cheech Marin and Randy Travis. I love Randy Travis! I screamed when he walked onto the stage the first time... and my grandma came out of her room and gave me a really wierd look haha.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
v-streamer
post Aug 30th 2006, 1:19 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Neurox Media Moderators

Fav. AI2: Clay Aiken
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. Yrs:2,4,5,7,8,10

I didn't understand all the props for Carly either. She sounded terrible to me.

--------------------
IPB Image
I haven't changed this signature since S7 for pure laziness!
+Quote Post
bradwalk
post Aug 30th 2006, 8:04 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(v-streamer @ Aug 30th 2006, 1:19 PM) *

I didn't understand all the props for Carly either. She sounded terrible to me.

Carly Patterson is just embarrassing herself. Her first song was so off key it hurt my ears. She would have never made it to Hollywood on AI.

Jai is without a doubt the best.

The best thing about the show is the song choices.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Headphones
post Aug 30th 2006, 8:32 PM
Post #5

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AI12: Lazaro Arbos

I think that Lucy did the best last night. Her duet with Michael Bolton was my favorite of the night.

--------------------
+Quote Post
PenMate
post Aug 30th 2006, 9:13 PM
Post #6

Fav. CI2: Shane Wiebe
Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. AI7: Jason Castro

QUOTE(bradwalk @ Aug 30th 2006, 9:04 PM) *

Carly Patterson is just embarrassing herself. Her first song was so off key it hurt my ears. She would have never made it to Hollywood on AI.

Jai is without a doubt the best.

The best thing about the show is the song choices.

She was awful, and so nervous. I felt embarassed for her.

Jai, Alfonso, and Hal wub.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Idol Maniac
post Aug 30th 2006, 9:35 PM
Post #7

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI13: Alex & Jena

I don't think this show would be better without judges. They are just unneccesary and unwanted. I don't think they should have eliminated the first contestant either.

--------------------
AI1 (2002): Kelly Clarkson, Tamyra Gray AI2 (2003): Kimberley Locke, Joshua Gracin AI3 (2004): Diana DeGarmo, Jennifer Hudson AI4 (2005): Carrie Underwood, Vonzell Solomon AI5 (2006): Katharine McPhee, Elliott Yamin, Chris Daughtry AI6 (2007): Jordin Sparks, Blake Lewis AI7 (2008): David Cook, David Archuleta, Brooke White, Carly Smithson, Michael Johns AI8 (2009): Kris Allen, Adam Lambert, Allison Iraheta AI9 (2010): Crystal Bowersox, Siobhan Magnus AI10 (2011): Scotty McCreery, Lauren Alaina, Haley Reinhart, Casey Abrams, Pia Toscano AI11 (2012): Phillip Phillips, Jessica Sanchez, Hollie Cavanagh, Skylar Laine, Elise Testone AI12 (2013): Candice Glover, Kree Harrison, Angela Miller AI13 (2014): Jena Irene Asciutto, Alex Preston, Jessica "Jess" Meuse, Sam Woolf, Malaya Watson
+Quote Post
SouthernGirl
post Aug 31st 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #8

Fav. AI11: Colton Dixon

I like Carly Patterson as a gymnast only....she said in tvguide that her friends wanted her to audition for American Idol, I don't think that she would make it past the auditions!
To be honest, I thought that she would be much better......especially since she got signed by Joe Simpson! My favorite performances of the night were both of Jai's performances and Alfonso and James. They were excellent!

This post has been edited by SouthernGirl: Aug 31st 2006, 12:56 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ChubbaLuvva
post Aug 31st 2006, 9:18 AM
Post #9

Group: NX Premium Subscribers

Fav. AI8: Danny Gokey
Fav. AI9: Siobhan Magnus

OK...here is my review.

Lucy Lawless
Its funny...cuz I was expecting her to do a rebel yell notes. She was OK in the first one....I agree with the judges. She could have connected more. What can I say though....Michael Bolton was performing....so that made her performance 10x better when he walked out. Her second performance.... who knew she can sing like that. I like her style much better 2nd time around....but nothing really stands out for my in her voice.

Alfonso Ribero
I already knew this cat can sing. I still remember that one time he sang EBONY AND IVORY....she's got jungle fever. So right of the bat....voice is memorable. I HATE MICHELLE WILLIAMS...but he did a good job on the first song. Second song.....one of my personal favorite songs.....Carlton and James killed it! Thats a good thing, folks. FRONT RUNNER!

Carly Patterson
Her tone is just so adorable and sweet like a country bumpkin...but it is lacking dynamics to carry powerful songs. The first song proved that. I cringed at some of the notes because it was too flat...but she did have good pitch throughut most of the song. Second song....much better....she should do more country.....but still...not impressive. She was OK.

Cheech Marin
YUCK! YUCK! YUCK! Sing bad for comedy?!? Erase the comedy. I am sorry, but I've seen other grampas sing like this and more on pitch.....so its nothing special. The phrasing I will lay off because everyone has their own way of interpetation. Mind you...I was watching Rockstar at 9...so I was switching in between performances. The first one...I hated it so much that when is second one appeared...I switched the channel.

Lea Thompson
A very broadway voice to me. She has great chops when she displays her range. Thats why I like her second song WAY better than her first. Country isn't her thing, but she did decent. But she shone on the second one. Michael Bolton has that effect on raising the likability of people's performances.

Jai Rodriguez
Doesn't surprise me the man can sing. Most gay guys can sing anyway. KEYWORD: MOST. Anyway, that performance with Gladys night was just hot and he actually kept up with her! Second one, I personally didn't like cuz I HATE MICHELLE WILLIAMS!.....but Jai sings it very well. And on top of that, the man has style and flair. Maybe I should get the Queer Eye guys to do a makeover for me so I looked pimped out for singing....moving on...

Chris Jericho

THE AYATOLLAH OF ROCK AND ROLLAH'! I was so pumped for Chris Jericho to be on the show because I am still a WWE fan(not as big as before though)....and I already knew Chris had a band called Fozzy. So you can tell I was kinda let down when Chris Jericho sang this sappy s&*^! He did sound a little like Keith Urban, but he was flat a lot. It was sad cuz I know he needs to rock out...its his genre. Then when he was with Peter Frampton.....I said YES! He gets to rock out......then they sing "Signed, SEALED, DELIVERED"?!? WTF? At least Jericho performed like we WWE fans know...but the pitch was still blech. Jericho let me down big time and was in my bottom 2. I would have had him stay over Cheech.....but Jericho just wasn't himself vocally tonight.

Hal Sparks

Here is who I want to win. I, personally, love rock music more than anything else. This man got personality...AND he can sing. I love his voice and how he wasn't afraid to mix his style with Smokey's. This is what Jericho SHOULD have done. It was good, but the second performance made me go w00t.gif. He had passion(although it looked like he tried to hard to keep up with Gladys), and his voice shined. FRONTRUNNER AND FAVORITE in my own opinion.

--------------------
Think You Can Singer Better Than Idols This Year? Can You Just Plain Sing?

IPB Image

You can audition by clicking HERE and prove it!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Nov 29th 2014, 1:13 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol