Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FOX cancels results show!, - per Nigel's Twitter
sytycdfan07
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI11: Colton Dixon
Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. SYTYCD7: Kent Boyd

dizzyfeet Nigel Lythgoe
#FOX have cancelled the results show so I will have to change the format of #SYTYCD. At least we have another season at the end of MAY.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is pretty big news. No more result shows, which means the format of the entire program is going to be very different this season. The rumor as of now is that America will no longer vote. The contestants will simply dance and the judges will eliminate on the same night based on the routines and it will continue like that through to the end. I guess they really have no other option. And I think we can safely assume this will be the show's final season unless ratings somehow perk up.

This post has been edited by sytycdfan07: Jan 1st 2012, 11:09 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:07 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

MissXulia
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:11 AM
Post #2

Fav. AI8: Adam Lambert
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI13: Caleb & Jena

Oh gosh I just saw this.

Yeah, I guess either the judges will eliminate people or the show will go back to its season 1 format. Either way it does look like it's the last season. sad.gif

--------------------
last.fmtumblr | Set by [x] [x]
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
+Quote Post
Erestor
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #3

OMG. noexpression.gif That's such a terrible news. Seriously, unless you're a Nigel favorite, you have no chance of staying longer on the show. blarg.gif

And the public not being able to vote AT ALL? whut.gif How is the winner going to be America's favorite dancer, then? Ugh this is so messed up. I won't be surprised at all if it's the last SYTYCD US season. crying.gif

--------------------
bbcan2: neda adel heather jon anick ika. surv28: jefra kass spencer lj morgan trish.
+Quote Post
sytycdfan07
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:19 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(MissXulia @ Jan 1st 2012, 11:11 AM) *

Oh gosh I just saw this.

Yeah, I guess either the judges will eliminate people or the show will go back to its season 1 format. Either way it does look like it's the last season. sad.gif

What exactly was the season 1 format? That's the only season I haven't had the opportunity to watch. Did America vote? How were the results handled?

--------------------
+Quote Post
MissXulia
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Erestor @ Jan 1st 2012, 2:12 PM) *
How is the winner going to be America's favorite dancer, then?
I imagine if they'll still name it that way. I wouldn't be surprised with Nigel. haha.gif noexpression.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Erestor
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:21 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(sytycdfan07 @ Jan 1st 2012, 5:19 PM) *

What exactly was the season 1 format? That's the only season I haven't had the opportunity to watch. Did America vote? How were the results handled?

The judges chose the B3 couples and then the public voted to eliminate girl and one guy. This format still works in SYTYCD Poland, too.

--------------------
bbcan2: neda adel heather jon anick ika. surv28: jefra kass spencer lj morgan trish.
+Quote Post
MissXulia
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(sytycdfan07 @ Jan 1st 2012, 2:19 PM) *
There was a top 16 instead of a top 20. Dancers changed partners every week. At the end of every performances show, the judges put dancers in the bottom and they did a solo, then the public voted to keep them. This way only the bottom dancers did solos.

At the beginning of the next week's show, it was revealed who the eliminated dancers were (but that was of course taped previously) and then the remaining dancers performed again.

On top 6 everyone did a solo. That was the night that Kamilah and Blake left. They were never in the bottom but since their fans weren't used to having to vote for them...I guess they didn't. At least not enough. tongue.gif

--

Oh okay Patryk you were quicker than me. haha.gif

OT: and yay for liking Little Mix. wub.gif

This post has been edited by MissXulia: Jan 1st 2012, 11:24 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
sytycdfan07
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Erestor @ Jan 1st 2012, 11:21 AM) *

The judges chose the B3 couples and then the public voted to eliminate girl and one guy. This format still works in SYTYCD Poland, too.

Oh. So, after a 2-hpur performance show, the judges pick the B3 couples, we vote, and then at the start of the show the following week, the couple (I assume the whole couple) with the least votes is sent packing. That makes sense considering the other couples need to be practicing new routines throughout the week, so they can't deal with the chance of splitting up any couples.

I guess this method would work. I just hope that whatever Nigel comes up with, America still has some say in the competition. It's takes a whole lot of fun out of the entire thing when we are not part of the process. The judges already have so much power so please... sleeping.gif

ETA: Just read MissXulia's post. So, ignore what I wrote above since that's obviously not how it worked. Okay. I guess that method words too. Ugh. I hate change.

This post has been edited by sytycdfan07: Jan 1st 2012, 11:26 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Erestor
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:32 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(sytycdfan07 @ Jan 1st 2012, 5:24 PM) *

Oh. So, after a 2-hpur performance show, the judges pick the B3 couples, we vote, and then at the start of the show the following week, the couple (I assume the whole couple) with the least votes is sent packing. That makes sense considering the other couples need to be practicing new routines throughout the week, so they can't deal with the chance of splitting up any couples.

I guess this method would work. I just hope that whatever Nigel comes up with, America still has some say in the competition. It's takes a whole lot of fun out of the entire thing when we are not part of the process. The judges already have so much power so please... sleeping.gif

ETA: Just read MissXulia's post. So, ignore what I wrote above since that's obviously not how it worked. Okay. I guess that method words too. Ugh. I hate change.

In Poland, it all happens on the same show. The couples perform, then the judges chose the B3, and the six contestants are dancing their solos. Then public has like 20-25 minutes to vote for the dancers, and after that, one girl and one guy are eliminated (on the same night). But we also have only 14 contestants at the beginning (16 in the first four seasons), so there were max 7 routines + opening on one show. And let's not talk about 4-5 Ballroom routines in a whole season. noexpression.gif So the show is really reduced overall.

QUOTE(MissXulia @ Jan 1st 2012, 5:24 PM) *

Oh okay Patryk you were quicker than me. haha.gif

OT: and yay for liking Little Mix. wub.gif

But you explained it better. thumbsup.gif I actually didn't know that eliminations were announced at the beginning of the next week's show.

wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
*Wallace
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:35 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Neurox Media Moderators

Fav. AI11: Jessica Sanchez
Fav. AI12: Candice Glover
Fav. Singer: Beyoncé

I think this is an awful change. crying.gif pinch.gif I wish they cut the results show down from an hour to a half hour because the results show don't need to be an hour long, but ugh. It sucks that we won't be able to vote and that takes out a huge element from the show. pinch.gif I see this as being the beginning demise of this show. pinch.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Imageai13: emily. malaya. caleb. kristen. dexter. jessica. jena. | dwts18: meryl/maks. charlie/sharna. amy/derek. danica/val. james/peta. cody/witney. candace/mark. | tar24: brendon/rachel. caroline/jennifer. dave/connor. | sur28: tasha. spencer. woo. morgan. | bbc2: neda. adel. ika. jon. heather. | sytycdau4: patric. ashleigh. jay. michael. renelle. lauren. eden. zoey. | credit: Elliott for the av.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sytycdfan07
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(*Wallace @ Jan 1st 2012, 11:35 AM) *

I think this is an awful change. crying.gif pinch.gif I wish they cut the results show down from an hour to a half hour because the results show don't need to be an hour long, but ugh. It sucks that we won't be able to vote and that takes out a huge element from the show. pinch.gif I see this as being the beginning demise of this show. pinch.gif

Unfortunately, I still maintain that the show's demise began when the show aired the sixth season in the fall. The ratings went down so much and never recovered. Even the introduction of the all-stars couldn't bring in viewers and that may have even hurt the show as well. This has nothing to do with the dancers that were on post season five but season five was really the last one that had solid numbers for both the performance and results show. Too many changes happened too soon and people did not stick around.

--------------------
+Quote Post
MissXulia
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(Erestor @ Jan 1st 2012, 2:32 PM) *
But you explained it better. thumbsup.gif I actually didn't know that eliminations were announced at the beginning of the next week's show.

wub.gif
Yes I knew because I watched SOME of s1. haha.gif Even the auditions. Everything was really different, it's funny.I have all the episodes downloaded, I just have to finish watching them.

OH another thing that was different: the routines were 1min and the solos 45sec. I hope they don't go back to that. At least not for the routines. Some solos would actually benefit from being longer.

QUOTE(*Wallace @ Jan 1st 2012, 2:35 PM) *
YES they should be 30 mins like it was in Canada. Oh well. sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Drew
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #13

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI8: Kris Allen
Fav. TV6: Josh Kaufman

crying.gif

--------------------
thevoiceus: josh. christina. bria. sisaundra. dani. delvin. kristen. tess. kat.
thevoiceuk: christina marie. jamie. georgia. sophie. sally. bizzi. rachael. lee.
xfactoruk: sam. luke. tamera. lorna. kingsland road. nicholas.
+Quote Post
Arabella
Post #14

I think X Factor is a factor. SYTYCD was always the "second" talent show on FOX after AI, but now it's X Factor so they don't "need" SYTYCD as much.

--------------------
+Quote Post
warblerbert
Post #15

Fav. SYTYCD6: Jakob Karr
Fav. SYTYCD4: Joshua Allen
Fav. Dancers: Jess LeProt. Danny T.

I didn't get to watch all of season 1 and barely remember the format. I suppose that is better than nothing.

QUOTE(*Wallace @ Jan 1st 2012, 10:35 AM) *

The group number during the results show was always something I looked forward to. I hope they figure out a way to keep that element of the show.

A lot of people I know stopped watching the show regularly because they felt the judges were too manipulative anyway. This last season, some felt the audience never really knew if, when, how their votes would count, so they just didn't bother. I wonder if audience participation overall was one of their indicators? I know finale vote counts have steadily gone down over the seasons.

I am afraid that this will be the last season, too. sad.gif That's too bad, because there are so few opportunities for dancers to do much on tv beside dancing behind singers.

--------------------
SYTYCD-US: 1 Ashle' Jamile Melody Kamilah 2 Benji Natalie Heidi Musa Travis 3 Danny Sara Lacey Pasha 4 Joshua Katee Gev 5 Jeanine Janette 6 Jakob Ryan Ellenore Kathryn 7 Alex Billy Lauren 8 Jess Miranda Ricky Wadi Clarice
+Quote Post
MissXulia
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Arabella @ Jan 1st 2012, 2:47 PM) *
I think X Factor is a factor. SYTYCD was always the "second" talent show on FOX after AI, but now it's X Factor so they don't "need" SYTYCD as much.
True sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
warblerbert
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:50 AM
Post #17

the routines were 1min

Whoa! shocked.gif What can you do in one minute that would be worth watching?

--------------------
SYTYCD-US: 1 Ashle' Jamile Melody Kamilah 2 Benji Natalie Heidi Musa Travis 3 Danny Sara Lacey Pasha 4 Joshua Katee Gev 5 Jeanine Janette 6 Jakob Ryan Ellenore Kathryn 7 Alex Billy Lauren 8 Jess Miranda Ricky Wadi Clarice
+Quote Post
MissXulia
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(warblerbert @ Jan 1st 2012, 2:47 PM) *
The group number during the results show was always something I looked forward to. I hope they figure out a way to keep that element of the show.

A lot of people I know stopped watching the show regularly because they felt the judges were too manipulative anyway.

That's too bad, because there are so few opportunities for dancers to do much on tv beside dancing behind singers.
Me too! I hope it's like Poland then. In the beginning of the show.

Well I didn't finish watch this last season except for a few performances because I couldn't stand the judges anymore... And I'm a fan of the show...Imagine what casual viewers must felt. I miss when they just let the show be, without having to manipulate everything from pairings to combination of choreographers + certain dancers to make ~moments~ happen, plus I miss variety on the show in the styles the dancers specialized in and in the amount of the routines weekly. There was always 5454214545 contemporary performances and honestly they all started to look the same for me. Plus some great choreographers left the show...

I guess that's what I'll miss the most. The dancing being the focus, and different types of dancing as well. Plus the SYTYCD level is unmatched by other dance shows. I don't particularly like ABDC (although there are some great crews out there) and DWTS.

--------------------
+Quote Post
totes4totes
post Jan 1st 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #19

Fav. SYTYCDA2: Talia Fowler
Fav. SYTYCDC2: Jayme Rae Dailey
Fav. Movie: Star Wars V

I hope they go back to season 1 format. Honestly, I'm not super disappointed because the results show is almost entirely unnecessary and probably costs a lot of needless money to produce because of guest performances. Also, as much as I love the show, I wouldn't be too upset if this were the last season. Seasons 7 & 8 were the worst IMO.

The show is Emmy bait, and 5 million viewers is pretty good for the summer, so it might all just depend on what happens with this season. I am not super sure what Fox has to replace the results show, because as far as I know, Fox has nothing new planned. I keep up with this kind of sh*t and typically if something is being slated off a schedule, that means something new is replacing it. Whatever, I hate Fox.

QUOTE(Arabella @ Jan 1st 2012, 10:47 AM) *

That would be a factor if X Factor showed in the summer instead of the fall. Which considering numbers, it wouldn't be surprising if it was moved to the summer instead but I think it is still planned for the fall again.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
OB2 April 19
SYTYCD2013: Tamara Arruti, Jenna Johnson AU4: Yukino
+Quote Post
warblerbert
post Jan 1st 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #20

There was always 5454214545 contemporary performances and honestly they all started to look the same for me.
The bland contemporary routines this year is the reason some of my friends gave me for dropping off the show. I think most people like variety. Some real hip-hop wouldn't hurt, either.

Plus some great choreographers left the show...

Easiest fix for the show: bring back Wade. I'd say Mia, too, as long as she's not at the judging table.

--------------------
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Apr 25th 2014, 1:11 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol