Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

40 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> God., What do you believe?
AIEXTREMIST
post Feb 11th 2008, 3:16 PM
Post #41

It's Dan, betch!

Group: NX Premium Subscribers

Fav. AI3: Jennifer Hudson
Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. AI8: Kris Allen

QUOTE(cdw724 @ Feb 11th 2008, 3:11 PM) *

flowers.gif

Great posts, both of you.
Thanks. huggy.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Feb 11th 2008, 3:16 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

rockon7890
post Feb 11th 2008, 3:53 PM
Post #42

Group: Members

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI12: Candice Glover

QUOTE(AIEXTREMIST @ Feb 11th 2008, 3:02 PM) *

As far as the Bible goes, I think people take it too literally sometimes. I have a hard time believing that everything written in the Bible is an accurate representation of God or his expectations for us. That's just my opinion, though. tongue.gif

As far as organized religion goes, I understand its purpose. However, I think it divides people more often than not. That's unfortunate because I don't think God would want that. I have no problem with people practicing their own religions at all. Though, I do have a problem with people who push their religious beliefs on others (whether they do it intentionally or not it is besides the point); especially when it involves politicians in power who use the Bible or their religious beliefs to dictate how they lead the country. I'll stop there, though, before I start going on an off-topic tangent. laughing.gif

I do respect those who practice their own religion and are also able to respect others who don't agree with them. flowers.gif While I don't associate specifically with one religion, I try my best to live my life in the best way possible. My main goal on Earth is to just be a decent, genuinely good person.

I agree with all of that Daniel. flowers.gif huggy.gif bleh.gif

I do believe in God. stuart.gif

--------------------
AI12: Candice & Kree
+Quote Post
kayli88
post Feb 11th 2008, 4:08 PM
Post #43

Fav. AI7: Jason Castro
Fav. CI2: Jacob Hoggard
Fav. CI6: Gary Morissette

QUOTE(annah @ Feb 11th 2008, 6:14 AM) *

I always thought God was just a comfort thing people made up so they didn't have to wonder too much what would happen after they died. ermm.gif

I agree.

QUOTE(babibutterflyz07 @ Feb 11th 2008, 8:14 AM) *

The Bible shouldn't be your only reason for discrediting God, but it can be your reason for discrediting Christianity. It irritates me when people connect believing in God with being a Christian.

I'm not Christian, I'm a different religion, and I am a totally steadfast, firm, believer in God. I can't not believe in God, even if I tried, because it's impossible to me anymore. It's like faith has become ingrained in my soul. I don't even have to think about not doing things prescribed by my religion...I just don't do them, like almost innately.

It all comes down to faith. I have great friends who are agnostics, Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims, Baha'is, Hindus, or just totally apathetic about religion as a whole. It makes no difference to me as long as you're a good person. Honestly I don't think everyone in the world is supposed to be one religion, I don't even think religion is right for everyone. It's personal preference that should be kept personal.

Yeah, sorry. I was more so referring to the Christianity.

And I definitely agree with the last part.

--------------------
This is my old account. I have a new one now and go by the username Kayli.
+Quote Post
ionlywantu2stay
post Feb 11th 2008, 4:20 PM
Post #44

Fav. AI9: They all suck

QUOTE(D.J. @ Feb 11th 2008, 12:52 AM) *

Not to be offensive because I'm not trying preach or convert anyone, but I do believe in God and I think it's sad that alot of people find anything beyond what they can see, feel, and touch hard to believe anymore. Some people have to have a rational explanation for everything and frankly, I think a higher power scares some people. Sure, we can't officially prove there is a God, but can you confirm there's not?

Agree totally Danny!

I don't like the word Christian and I don't really like the idea of religion. All I can say is that I follow Jesus of Nazareth and that He is my Savior. Can I prove it? I have so many reasons to believe God is real, more than I do for Him not existing. But I always remember one line from Paramore's miracle that sums it up:
"It's not faith if you're using your eyes"
I can't prove God is real. I can only believe to my soul.

QUOTE(FanofVonzell @ Feb 11th 2008, 6:27 AM) *

I believe in a higher power, but not an old man in the sky. If you look at the universe, it is obvious that there was no accident involved.

Amen! But then again I'm a creationist. Microevolution I can see, but I think Darwinism is bull. I'm also the one of the top AP Biology students at my high school. Those two aren't mutually exclusive stuart.gif

This post has been edited by ionlywantu2stay: Feb 11th 2008, 4:25 PM

--------------------
Daddy daddy you came to love me!
+Quote Post
AIEXTREMIST
post Feb 11th 2008, 4:24 PM
Post #45

It's Dan, betch!

QUOTE(rockon7890 @ Feb 11th 2008, 3:53 PM) *

I agree with all of that Daniel. flowers.gif huggy.gif bleh.gif

I do believe in God. stuart.gif
laughing.gif huggy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
kayli88
post Feb 11th 2008, 4:30 PM
Post #46

The Christians that piss me off are the ones that tell me I'm going to burn in hell just because I don't believe or doubt God. But then they say that as long as a serial killer or whatever asks God for forgiveness he gets to go to heaven. That's one f'd up analogy is you ask me.

This post has been edited by kayli88: Feb 11th 2008, 4:30 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Drew
post Feb 11th 2008, 5:08 PM
Post #47

QUOTE(AIEXTREMIST @ Feb 11th 2008, 3:02 PM) *

I was raised as a Catholic. My family, for the most part, is very religious. I wouldn't consider myself to be a practicing Catholic. I do believe in God, though.

As far as the Bible goes, I think people take it too literally sometimes. I have a hard time believing that everything written in the Bible is an accurate representation of God or his expectations for us. That's just my opinion, though. tongue.gif

As far as organized religion goes, I understand its purpose. However, I think it divides people more often than not. That's unfortunate because I don't think God would want that. I have no problem with people practicing their own religions at all. Though, I do have a problem with people who push their religious beliefs on others (whether they do it intentionally or not it is besides the point); especially when it involves politicians in power who use the Bible or their religious beliefs to dictate how they lead the country. I'll stop there, though, before I start going on an off-topic tangent. laughing.gif

I do respect those who practice their own religion and are also able to respect others who don't agree with them. flowers.gif While I don't associate specifically with one religion, I try my best to live my life in the best way possible. My main goal on Earth is to just be a decent, genuinely good person.

I'm in total agreement. wub.gif The Catholic part and all. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
música
post Feb 11th 2008, 5:15 PM
Post #48

Fav. AI5: Chris Daughtry
Fav. AI6: Blake Lewis
Fav. French Idol:Jonatan Cerrada

QUOTE(kayli88 @ Feb 11th 2008, 4:30 PM) *

The Christians that piss me off are the ones that tell me I'm going to burn in hell just because I don't believe or doubt God. But then they say that as long as a serial killer or whatever asks God for forgiveness he gets to go to heaven. That's one f'd up analogy is you ask me.

I don't see anything wrong with that to be honest. Those who believe in God and follow His word will live in His Kingdom some day. If you don't even believe in God then I don't see why it should bother you so much.

And about the killer, well if he has committed sins and asks for forgiveness from God then God will grant it to him and he will still be able to go to Heaven. God does not require perfection as He knows it is not possible from us. Rather, He asks that we live a life following His word and trying our best. Some people stumble, but that is the beauty of God's amazing grace.

This probably will piss you off because it sounds preachy but I just wanted a chance to respond to this.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
NH Babe
post Feb 11th 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #49

It's just a TV Show

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. Judge: Simon Cowell
Fav. SYTYCD:2=Allison.3=Lauren.

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Feb 11th 2008, 11:23 AM) *

But now that I'm older... I really don't know what to believe. I believe in aspects of the bible... I believe that Jesus did exist, and I do believe there is a God. I believe that there is a heaven.

<snip>

In a world full of Polytheist mythologies and religions, it's hard to stomach. I'm really interested in Mythology, personally.

And Christianity as a religion has a lot of flaws and loopholes, and it annoys me when some Christians use the bible to defend themselves and defend their beliefs, but only actually believe in parts of it, and choose what fits them. Muslims have a hard time grasping that, because in Islam, you believe EVERYTHING. There is no room for interpretation.

Plus, it's been passed through so many hands... How long before the story was actually written down? You've all heard of the telephone game I'm sure. How do we know that these Monks didn't add some of their own shiit into it? or Miss-interpret it?

<snip>

I don't think that a person has to go to church to believe in something, and I'm not public about how I feel.

<snip>

So I'm not an Atheist... I do believe in something... I just don't know what exactly, it's a bit of a concoction of things.

I cut up your post so that it wouldn't be so large on this page. I agree with everything in the above. I'm the same way. I am Christian, but do I believe everything the bible says 100%, NO. The bible would make one believe that the Earth was created only 6000-7000 years ago, and we know scientifically that isn't true. On top of that, there have been too many people that have had their hands in the writing of the bible. Many books were left out because they disagreed with the thinking of the time, or they were put in because of the thinking of the time. Many stories were told 50+ years after the fact, and could've easily been told to bring the masses in line.

I believe there is a God, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, but I don't follow an organized religion nor do I take the bible as being the full or true story of events.

--------------------
Truthfully this is a singing competition, yet I don't feel tonight reflects that - Paula Abdul

Most sane thing the woman has ever said as an AI Judge.
+Quote Post
ionlywantu2stay
post Feb 11th 2008, 5:27 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(kayli88 @ Feb 11th 2008, 4:30 PM) *

Well first of all, I'm sorry that you have people giving you the "fire and brimstone" schtick, because as a believer I'm so over that. But I don't see anything wrong with that. There is strength in humility and genuine repentence. Bottom line, nobody's righteous and everybody is broken. Those who let go of their pride and rely on a God that will lead them to joy get rewarded. Everybody is offered grace, but sadly, only a few accept it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
AIEXTREMIST
post Feb 11th 2008, 5:27 PM
Post #51

It's Dan, betch!

QUOTE(AcegasmExpert @ Feb 11th 2008, 5:08 PM) *

I'm in total agreement. wub.gif The Catholic part and all. tongue.gif
Cool beans. cool.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ionlywantu2stay
post Feb 11th 2008, 5:28 PM
Post #52

QUOTE(música @ Feb 11th 2008, 5:15 PM) *

I don't see anything wrong with that to be honest. Those who believe in God and follow His word will live in His Kingdom some day. If you don't even believe in God then I don't see why it should bother you so much.

And about the killer, well if he has committed sins and asks for forgiveness from God then God will grant it to him and he will still be able to go to Heaven. God does not require perfection as He knows it is not possible from us. Rather, He asks that we live a life following His word and trying our best. Some people stumble, but that is the beauty of God's amazing grace.

This probably will piss you off because it sounds preachy but I just wanted a chance to respond to this.

yes.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
AIEXTREMIST
post Feb 11th 2008, 5:29 PM
Post #53

It's Dan, betch!

QUOTE(NH Babe @ Feb 11th 2008, 5:24 PM) *

I cut up your post so that it wouldn't be so large on this page. I agree with everything in the above. I'm the same way. I am Christian, but do I believe everything the bible says 100%, NO. The bible would make one believe that the Earth was created only 6000-7000 years ago, and we know scientifically that isn't true. On top of that, there have been too many people that have had their hands in the writing of the bible. Many books were left out because they disagreed with the thinking of the time, or they were put in because of the thinking of the time. Many stories were told 50+ years after the fact, and could've easily been told to bring the masses in line.

I believe there is a God, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, but I don't follow an organized religion nor do I take the bible as being the full or true story of events.
Good points. flowers.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
babibutterflyz07
post Feb 11th 2008, 5:55 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(música @ Feb 11th 2008, 5:15 PM) *

There's nothing wrong with telling someone they're going to burn in hell? There's everything wrong with it; it belittles and intimidates some people. "You're going to die!" is like the same thing, yet you would probably find that wrong if someone said that to you.

If other people don't like your religion, and don't want to follow it, you have to shrug your shoulders and move on. In my opinion, a truly religious and peaceful person who wants everyone to follow the word of their religion would never belittle or intimidate someone, but rather pray that they find God. They might introduce them to their religious scripture or give them advice but end it at that.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
+Quote Post
Drew
post Feb 11th 2008, 5:58 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(babibutterflyz07 @ Feb 11th 2008, 5:55 PM) *

There's nothing wrong with telling someone they're going to burn in hell? There's everything wrong with it; it belittles and intimidates some people. "You're going to die!" is like the same thing, yet you would probably find that wrong if someone said that to you.

If other people don't like your religion, and don't want to follow it, you have to shrug your shoulders and move on. In my opinion, a truly religious and peaceful person who wants everyone to follow the word of their religion would never belittle or intimidate someone, but rather pray that they find God. They might introduce them to their religious scripture or give them advice but end it at that.

I agree. Religion isn't something you can force on people. Many people I know have found God later on in life due to various reasons. It's something you need to work through on your own.

--------------------
+Quote Post
clayfan101
post Feb 11th 2008, 6:23 PM
Post #56

Fav. Musician: Billie Joe Armstrong

QUOTE(kayli88 @ Feb 11th 2008, 12:29 AM) *

The bible says some pretty messed up stuff, too. (Example: If a son disobeys his parents he shall be stoned to death in front of the town.)

That's a really poor example of a "messed up" thing the Bible says. Stuff like that still happens today in some countries, people have been sentenced to stoning for a long time. It's written in the Bible beacuse that was the common punishment practice at the time the Bible was written. It wasn't God's command, it was the laws of the time.

I just wanted to point that out, I thought it was a bad example. I mean, if you want to question the Bible and bring up some of the "messed up stuff" it says, comment on the "magic" that Jesus did if you don't believe it. Stonings actually happened and still continue to happen. Stonings have been written about in many non-religious texts as well, it's really not a Biblical/religious thing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
kayli88
post Feb 11th 2008, 6:31 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(clayfan101 @ Feb 11th 2008, 5:23 PM) *

That's a really poor example of a "messed up" thing the Bible says. Stuff like that still happens today in some countries, people have been sentenced to stoning for a long time. It's written in the Bible beacuse that was the common punishment practice at the time the Bible was written. It wasn't God's command, it was the laws of the time.

I just wanted to point that out, I thought it was a bad example. I mean, if you want to question the Bible and bring up some of the "messed up stuff" it says, comment on the "magic" that Jesus did if you don't believe it. Stonings actually happened and still continue to happen. Stonings have been written about in many non-religious texts as well, it's really not a Biblical/religious thing.

Maybe it is, but that's only one little example. It also says if you don't believe in the Christian God you will be punished and tourtured in an eternal hell as I said earlier.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ionlywantu2stay
post Feb 11th 2008, 6:46 PM
Post #58

QUOTE(babibutterflyz07 @ Feb 11th 2008, 5:55 PM) *

In my opinion, a truly religious and peaceful person who wants everyone to follow the word of their religion would never belittle or intimidate someone, but rather pray that they find God. They might introduce them to their religious scripture or give them advice but end it at that.

And this is what I do. People know I'm a believer, including my atheist/agnostic friends, but I don't force it on them. If they ask, I tell. Otherwise I show through example.

--------------------
+Quote Post
babibutterflyz07
post Feb 11th 2008, 6:55 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(kayli88 @ Feb 11th 2008, 6:31 PM) *

Maybe it is, but that's only one little example. It also says if you don't believe in the Christian God you will be punished and tourtured in an eternal hell as I said earlier.

Well it's a good thing you only tell your beliefs when asked. I was under the impression that the person who I quoted told that to people without them asking what he/she thought, because I actually know of people who do that.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
+Quote Post
pink-ebonette
post Feb 11th 2008, 7:16 PM
Post #60

Fav. fandom: Harry Potter

I believe in God. I go to a Roman Catholic church occasionally, so I guess you could call me Catholic - but very loosely. I just believe there is a God and He has some power over us, that He created the world. And I believe we go somewhere when we die, but I don't believe in hell. I do pray.

So. I don't really know what I am. I agree with the whole "being as good a person as you can" philosophy. If I can do that I'll be satisfied with my life. What happens when I leave Earth is interesting to think about, but it's not like I have much control over it anyway.

--------------------

ox Mina. <3 5H
IPB Image
+Quote Post

40 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Aug 29th 2014, 11:19 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol