Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Really need advice
AmberTamblynFan
post Feb 10th 2012, 5:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI10: Casey Abrams
Fav. Movie: The Breakfast Club

I've talked about this on here before, so forgive me if I sound like a broken record. laughing.gif

I'm in the 4th year of my program that is 5 years in total. My problem is that I do not have a passion for the program that I'm in, and I know that my lack of passion shows.

On one hand, I am close to being done so maybe I could just suck it up. However, I am in education and I know that if I don't have a passion for teaching now I certainly won't have it in the future.

I've wanted to leave the faculty since last year, but my mom won't let me. I've wanted to quit several times. She says that I haven't given it a fully try, but I think I have. I completed a block that was about for weeks, so I think I have a pretty good sense of all the responsibilities that a teacher has. And I get frustrated because I know in my heart I do not want to teach but my mom won't take that for an answer. I'm fine with getting a degree in something, but I don't know what I want my degree to be yet. I know I should have a back-up plan but I don't. I honestly don't mind working or taking some time off before I figure out what I really want to do.

I know my mom is trying to do the best for me by making me stay. However, I am turning 22, I am an adult and I feel I should make my own decisions regarding my future. I've tried telling all of this to her but she still won't let me quit.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I honestly feel like leaving the faculty this weekend or this very day.

And thanks to anyone who read all this haha.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Feb 10th 2012, 5:41 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

claysababe
post Feb 11th 2012, 7:18 AM
Post #2

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI5: Ace Young
Fav. Idol: Clay Aiken!!

Alot of it comes down to money. Does your mom pay for your education, or do you? If your mom pays, she has some control, because you've been through the majority of the program, and education is expensive. If you pay for it yourself, then do what you want. It is your education! original.gif but for me, money would be a main contributing factor as to whether I would leave or stay in the program.

Also, there are jobs you can get with a teaching degree that aren't necessarily your typical teaching job. Professional tutors, a variety of therapy jobs, independent teaching jobs, etc. Also you can go to graduate school for something totally different. I am in a Masters of Social Work program, and I know people who majored in entirely different degrees during undergrad. original.gif

But you know yourself best and if you are now doing poorly in the program because you hate it, or are so ready to walk out...maybe that is best. You just have to do what is best for you, and weigh your options and think hard on it. We can only give you our advice, but when it comes down to it, it is your decision and we don't know how you truly feel.

This post has been edited by claysababe: Feb 11th 2012, 7:18 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
Kim
+Quote Post
AmberTamblynFan
post Feb 11th 2012, 9:26 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(claysababe @ Feb 11th 2012, 8:18 AM) *

Alot of it comes down to money. Does your mom pay for your education, or do you? If your mom pays, she has some control, because you've been through the majority of the program, and education is expensive. If you pay for it yourself, then do what you want. It is your education! original.gif but for me, money would be a main contributing factor as to whether I would leave or stay in the program.

Also, there are jobs you can get with a teaching degree that aren't necessarily your typical teaching job. Professional tutors, a variety of therapy jobs, independent teaching jobs, etc. Also you can go to graduate school for something totally different. I am in a Masters of Social Work program, and I know people who majored in entirely different degrees during undergrad. original.gif

But you know yourself best and if you are now doing poorly in the program because you hate it, or are so ready to walk out...maybe that is best. You just have to do what is best for you, and weigh your options and think hard on it. We can only give you our advice, but when it comes down to it, it is your decision and we don't know how you truly feel.

Thanks for replying Kim! heart.gif

I think I've always struggled in education and yesterday something happened that really kind of pushed me over the edge and made me see that I do not want to be a teacher.

I pay for about half of my school, and my dad gives me money for the other half. I feel really guilty for wasting 4 years of my education and for having my dad pay for part of it. I honestly think that once I get a job, I might pay my dad back.

I was having a long, heartfelt talk with my mom last night and she said that she realizes now that I really don't like it. I think I'm going to get my bachelor of arts in English, and a lot of the courses that I have taken already contribute to that degree.

I'm going to talk to my academic adviser on Monday and tell her my situation. I'm also going to ask her if any of my education courses would contribute to a Bachelor of Arts.

--------------------
+Quote Post
claysababe
post Feb 11th 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #4

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI5: Ace Young
Fav. Idol: Clay Aiken!!

Good, that sounds liked plan! I'm glad that you are getting things worked out. Sometimes just writing everything down like you did helps the decision making process!

--------------------
IPB Image
Kim
+Quote Post
druth8x
post Feb 11th 2012, 7:01 PM
Post #5

Sounds lie you worked it out.

Even if you don't become a teacher the skills you learn with the classes you take are very valuable ones to have. So, no they weren't a waste. And, the courses you did take I'm sure apply to a lot of degrees. Even some of the 4th year ones.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hannahdotcom
post Feb 11th 2012, 9:23 PM
Post #6

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AI8: Kris Allen
Fav. BB14: Ian Terry

QUOTE(AmberTamblynFan @ Feb 10th 2012, 5:41 PM) *

I've talked about this on here before, so forgive me if I sound like a broken record. laughing.gif

I'm in the 4th year of my program that is 5 years in total. My problem is that I do not have a passion for the program that I'm in, and I know that my lack of passion shows.

On one hand, I am close to being done so maybe I could just suck it up. However, I am in education and I know that if I don't have a passion for teaching now I certainly won't have it in the future.

I've wanted to leave the faculty since last year, but my mom won't let me. I've wanted to quit several times. She says that I haven't given it a fully try, but I think I have. I completed a block that was about for weeks, so I think I have a pretty good sense of all the responsibilities that a teacher has. And I get frustrated because I know in my heart I do not want to teach but my mom won't take that for an answer. I'm fine with getting a degree in something, but I don't know what I want my degree to be yet. I know I should have a back-up plan but I don't. I honestly don't mind working or taking some time off before I figure out what I really want to do.

I know my mom is trying to do the best for me by making me stay. However, I am turning 22, I am an adult and I feel I should make my own decisions regarding my future. I've tried telling all of this to her but she still won't let me quit.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I honestly feel like leaving the faculty this weekend or this very day.

And thanks to anyone who read all this haha.

ah, tough situation but it sounds like you have things under control now. i just know that if you aren't happy now, you probably won't be happy later. and yeh, i don't know.. i hope you figure it all out though grin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
survivor faves: S. Fishbach, R. Cesternino, J. Cochran, A. and V. Baskauskas, C. Haskell
idol faves: B. Lewis, D. Archuleta, K. Allen; bb faves: E. Stein, I. Terry, W. Kirby, A. Herren
+Quote Post
AmberTamblynFan
post Feb 12th 2012, 10:58 AM
Post #7

Thanks everyone- it means a lot that you read this and replied.heart.gif

You're right- if I'm not happy now when I'm only teaching a few units and I'm in someone else's classroom, I won't be happy when I have to plan the entire year and take control of my own classroom.

Because I won't be doing my block, I might get an F on my transcript for that. It kind of sucks, but my GPA is decent enough that one F won't completely ruin it.

I feel okay right now, but I'll feel a lot better tomorrow when I talk to my adviser and see exactly what my next step is.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Oct 31st 2014, 10:48 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol