Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Voice contestant Jamar Rogers admits he is HIV Positive
LuckyOtter
post Feb 8th 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI 13: Caleb Johnson

The Voice – Jamar Rogers On Speaking Out on HIV+ Diagnosis
By mj On 02/08/2012

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/the-voice-jamar-...s-diagnosis.htm

When The Voice contestant, Jamar Rogers revealed he was HIV positive on the show Monday night, those of you who remember him as Danny Gokey’s best friend from Season 8 of Idol, were probably surprised. He never revealed his diagnosis on the air–not even to Idol producers as he tells the New York Post:

Jamar Rogers — a food bank volunteer from The Bronx — auditioned for Seasons 8 and 9 of “American Idol” without ever disclosing he was living with HIV.

“I remember being completely petrified throughout that entire process that the producers would find out,” he says. “Maybe my roommate would find out. I just lived with this massive cloud over my head.”

Now, his secret is out.

Rogers 29, shared his condition with almost 20 million viewers when he auditioned Monday night for another singing show — NBC’s “The Voice.”

“I decided to come clean because, at some point, you have to decide that you want to live for something greater than yourself,” says Rogers, who landed a spot on Team Cee Lo.

When Jamar auditioned for Idol in the summer of 2008, only his best friend, Danny Gokeyknew his secret. Jamar says Idol producers knew about his drugs past, but opted not to use it on the show. “But ‘Idol’ is a different kind of show. Their audience is more conservative,” he says.

Hm. The Voice’s audience is a little younger, but I’m not sure if they are more conservative. If Jamar goes deep into the competition, we’ll see if his dark past hurts him or not. I think it’ll help, especially if he’s good. It would have helped him on Idol too. Everybody loves a good redemption story.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Feb 8th 2012, 11:27 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

druth8x
post Feb 8th 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #2

HIV through a needle?

I'm confused.

--------------------
+Quote Post
inverse
post Feb 9th 2012, 12:08 AM
Post #3

^probably contracted through a shared needle. someone else had it and he used his/her needle. happens sometimes with meth/coke users.

obviously don't know if that's how it happened but it's likely if he's referring to getting it through a needle.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
LuckyOtter
post Feb 9th 2012, 12:09 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(druth8x @ Feb 8th 2012, 11:37 PM) *

HIV through a needle?

I'm confused.

My guess is injecting intravenous drugs. I know he had a drug problem prior to Idol as well as getting in trouble a lot with the law as a kid in the South Bronx. He became Christian later and renounced all that.

This post has been edited by dcfreak: Feb 9th 2012, 12:09 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
druth8x
post Feb 9th 2012, 12:11 AM
Post #5

Oh, I know HIV can come from shared drug use. Just was wondering if that's how he got it or if he had unsafe sex.

--------------------
+Quote Post
LuckyOtter
post Feb 9th 2012, 12:18 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(druth8x @ Feb 9th 2012, 12:11 AM) *

Oh, I know HIV can come from shared drug use. Just was wondering if that's how he got it or if he had unsafe sex.

I doubt he'll tell, though I'd like to know too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
druth8x
post Feb 9th 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #7

When you open up your past like that it's only natural.

--------------------
+Quote Post
NothlitHawk777
post Feb 9th 2012, 7:50 PM
Post #8

Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. XF2: Fifth Harmony, Carly Rose

He might not even know. Drug users also tend to engage in high-risk sexual behavior. In any case, I hope this doesn't affect his chances with the voting audience. I haven't been watching The Voice and didn't know he auditioned, but I loved him on Idol!

--------------------
IPB Image
If you wonder where all the McPhans have gone, CLICK ME. http://www.katharine-mcphee.org/
+Quote Post
Weedy Speedy
post Feb 10th 2012, 6:31 AM
Post #9

Fav. AI11: Elise Testone
Fav. AI12: Candice Glover
Fav. AI13: Caleb Johnson

Why is this in the Idol forum? Shouldn't it be in TV's forum since he's currently on that show?

--------------------
QUOTE(huh @ Mar 20th 2014, 11:13 PM) *
Clearly they should can that and just have One Direction Night instead.
+Quote Post
hazuki
post Feb 10th 2012, 10:01 AM
Post #10

Stomp, Stomp. I have arrived

Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. AI11: Jessica Sanchez
Fav. XFUS3: Ellona Santiago

QUOTE(Weedy Spyze @ Feb 10th 2012, 6:31 AM) *

Why is this in the Idol forum? Shouldn't it be in TV's forum since he's currently on that show?

Well, some Idol folks don't watch The Voice and since hes a past contestant, it'd be an interesting discussion.

I think he would have gone further and probably would have made top 36 if he used this story, tbh.

--------------------
IPB Image
twitter|tumblr|last.fm|Credit: Jack
AI13:Jess Meuse, Jena Asciutto, Malaya Watson, Austin Wolfe, Kristen O Connor, George Lovett
+Quote Post
Hero
post Feb 11th 2012, 12:04 AM
Post #11

Fav. AI1: Nikki McKibbin
Fav. AI4: Mikalah Gordon

i don't see why this is news worthy. he is very talented, no matter what. do i think he will win? no, but that doesn't mean the dude has a great voice. i also give him props for being forthcoming with this information because it takes a lot of courage to do that when a lot of people would treat him differently.

with that being said, it's extremely morbid that people are sitting around here wondering and wanting to know how he got HIV. unprotected sex? how do you know it wasnt with a lover that he trusted but cheated on him. unsafe needles? could be by his drug use, but there have been cases of tattoo artists using used needles that weren't sanitized.

--------------------
X Factor: Emblem 3, Jennel, Jillian, CeCe
+Quote Post
druth8x
post Feb 11th 2012, 4:15 AM
Post #12

He brought it up. So inquiring minds and all. If he didn't bring it up then it would be wrong to bring it up ourselves. But since he brought it up. It's only fair to be curious.

--------------------
+Quote Post
LuckyOtter
post Feb 11th 2012, 7:16 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(druth8x @ Feb 11th 2012, 4:15 AM) *

He brought it up. So inquiring minds and all. If he didn't bring it up then it would be wrong to bring it up ourselves. But since he brought it up. It's only fair to be curious.

Exactly. He brought it up, so it's appropriate to speculate about it in a public forum.

I hope he makes it far on The Voice, anyway. He deserved to make the Top 36 in season 8, but of course they had to eliminate him to make a dramatic story about the TCO at the time (Danny) losing his best friend. Danny and Jamar are still close friends though, and Danny's been tweeting that everyone should watch "my boy Jamar" on The Voice. Maybe I'll watch.

This post has been edited by dcfreak: Feb 11th 2012, 7:18 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
kristie
post Feb 12th 2012, 3:20 AM
Post #14

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. AI 13: Jena Irene

QUOTE(dcfreak @ Feb 11th 2012, 8:16 AM) *

Exactly. He brought it up, so it's appropriate to speculate about it in a public forum.

I hope he makes it far on The Voice, anyway. He deserved to make the Top 36 in season 8, but of course they had to eliminate him to make a dramatic story about the TCO at the time (Danny) losing his best friend. Danny and Jamar are still close friends though, and Danny's been tweeting that everyone should watch "my boy Jamar" on The Voice. Maybe I'll watch.

you should. jamar didn't disappoint. not to me, that is.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Apr 24th 2014, 1:26 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol