Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Nickelback/Daughtry Review
Jake62
post Jul 2nd 2007, 8:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Nickelback pays off
Canadian hitmakers rock Citadel Hill
By ANDREA NEMETZ Entertainment Reporter

Nickelback gave the crowd at Citadel Hill All The Right Reasons to fall in love with the band from Hanna, Alta. on Sunday night.

Fireworks, friendly banter, free stuff fired from cannons and No. 1 hit after No. 1 hit from their million-selling albums delivered with precise sound and a spectacular light show rewarded an eager crowd of 25,000 concertgoers on a Canada Day show that featured mostly picture perfect blue skies, sun and a friendly, holiday vibe.

After a warm-up of almost eight hours featuring Canadian bands State of Shock, Default, Hedley, Finger Eleven and American rockers Daughtry and Staind, the crowd rose to their feet in eager anticipation as the first of three concussion bombs lit up the sky at 9:45 p.m.

A spray of fireworks ushered in Chad Kroeger, Ryan Peake, Mike Kroeger and Daniel Adair as they launched into their hit Animals off 2005’s All The Right Reasons, and quickly followed up with Woke Up This Morning.

Frontman Chad Kroeger set the freewheelin’ tone with his cracks about "Good Canadian bud" wafting his way noting "weed smokers are weird" and they should keep smoking all show.

Photograph, a number one single in both Canada and the U.S. about growing up in a small town and missing friends from high school, drew some of the loudest cheers of the night with the catchy tune accompanied by high school snapshots sure to bring back memories for the crowd that ranged in age from families with small children to groups of teens and twentysomethings and a sprinkling of fans well into their fifties.

Kroeger, outlining plans to go the Liquordome following the show, accompanied by the other bands on the ticket, noted to roars of approval that "you leave your heart in Vancouver, your liver in Halifax" because locals know how to drink.

He dedicated Far Away, a ballad that tugged on the heartstrings with its lyrics of "I loved you all along and I miss you, been far away for far too long," to all those with loved ones fighting overseas and the crowd slowly swayed as it sang along.

Peake led a rousing version of Elton John’s Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting, rocking out with zingy guitar licks to loud cheers from the crowd. The cover, which they recorded with Kid Rock, is frequently heard during the intro of Hockey Night in Canada.

But the biggest applause was reserved for the group’s current hit If Everyone Cared, which since its February release has raised $500,000 for Amnesty International and International Children’s Awareness Canada (the band along with its record companies is donating 100 per cent of the proceeds from the digital sales of the single and video to charity).

Savin’ Me, one of six No. 1 hits off the five-times platinum selling album, Someday off 2003’s The Long Road were also in the playlist as was Side Of A Bullet, which featured outtakes by "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, the Pantera guitarist who was killed in an onstage shooting by a crazed fan. Rock Star and Figured You Out gave fans a thrill for the encore.

But while Nickelback were the headliners, they weren’t the only attraction for fans like Laurie Wheeler, her kids Liam, 8, and Lauren, 20, and their stepdad Anthony Watton. The Aylesford family who bought their tickets as soon as the multi-band rock bill was announced were split in their assessment of who they wanted to see.

Liam is a Hedley fan who "likes all their songs," Lauren wanted to see Finger Eleven and Nickelback (she saw the band in its last Halifax show), while Watton was there to see Default.

"I like all their music, their vocals, their bass player — I’m a bass player myself — and I’ve never seen Nickelback live."

Laurie, a fan of Staind, the alternative metal group from Springfield, Mass., for eight years said she liked their originality and their lyrics.

Many echoed the sentiments of transplanted Caper Darryl Pottie. The 32-year-old who now lives in Halifax and works for Nova Scotia Power said "it’s one of the rare tickets with no lulls, every band is going to be good."

Pottie, like many fans, was dressed in Canada Day gear from his tall felt Maple Leaf hat, his flag cape, hockey jersey and Canada Day socks. Maple Leaf and Canadian flag tattoos were a frequent site as were red ball caps and a giant maple-decorated red and white beach ball.

Among the crowd favourites were Hedley, led by Canadian Idol contestant Jacob Hoggard. The consummate showman gave teens like Lisa Landry, 18, of Sackville, a thrill when he took off his shirt to reveal extra low-riding stove-pipe jeans sliding off his well-defined torso and later when he quickly dropped his pants to reveal the well-known Hedley tattoo across his buttocks.

Landry, and a group of seven friends arrived at the site at 6 a.m. to secure their place as fourth in line. Hedley, Finger Eleven and Nickelback were the main draws at the concert, she said. Her cousin, Tracie Richardson, 32 agreed, noting she was a Hedley fan since Hoggard was on Canadian Idol when she really wanted him to win. "I love him, he’s so crazy."

Hoggard didn’t disappoint those expecting a show, with his wild spins, jumps into the crowd and floppy-haired charisma.

And Daughtry, fronted by American Idol season 5 contestant Chris Daughtry, whose sound recalled ‘70s rockers like Bon Jovi and Aerosmith, earned new fans with renditions of his hits What I Want, It’s Not Over, There and Back Again. And, in his North Carolina, drawl, he said "Tonight I call Halifax our Home" before launching into the hit.

( [email protected])

This post has been edited by Jake62: Jul 2nd 2007, 8:36 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Jul 2nd 2007, 8:35 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

cd-rockon
post Jul 2nd 2007, 8:39 AM
Post #2

Fav. idol: DAUGHTRY

grin.gif sweet!

--------------------
-----"The Man, The Band, The Plan To Make An "Idol" Act America's Next Top Rock Group"-----Billboard Mag
IPB Image
Set Karen-----------------------------------------------------------------------Daughtry Lifer
+Quote Post
~*Daughtrified~*
post Jul 2nd 2007, 4:08 PM
Post #3

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI5: Chris Daughtry
Fav. AI6: JoMeliCake

Awesome! I cannot wait to go. w00t.gif

--------------------
--------------- 3.1 million 'Daughtry' albums sold -- RIAA certified 3x platinum
IPB Image
--------------------IDOLS: DAUGHTRY.UNDERWOOD.LEWIS.SPARKS.CLARKSON

------------------------10.23: Carrie |11.20: Jordin Speezy | 11.27: A.D.D.
+Quote Post
~*Daughtrified~*
post Jul 2nd 2007, 4:23 PM
Post #4

Credit: jssnw from DO

Yesterday was an afternoon of great music on the east coast of Canada. Starting at 2:00 in the afternoon, seven bands performed for the close to if not over 30,000 fans. Daughtry did not disappoint! He came out after a couple of opening acts (Default, Finger Eleven and Headley). He rocked the hill so hard and everyone there was loving it. He said that this was his first trip to Canada which was very hard to believe, however I think he knew that Canada loved him and is expecting him to be back on a regular basis. He played a quick set, but did his big songs, Home, Its Not Over and Over You. Later in the night Nickelback had t-shirt cannons which Daughtry took part in. Highlight of the night for me was definitely Daughtry. He may not have had the light show or fire that Nickelback had, but musically, AMAZING!!!!!!

--------------------
--------------- 3.1 million 'Daughtry' albums sold -- RIAA certified 3x platinum
IPB Image

+Quote Post
cd-rockon
post Jul 2nd 2007, 4:23 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(~*Daughtrified~* @ Jul 2nd 2007, 4:23 PM) *

Credit: jssnw from DO

That was a great write-up!

--------------------
-----"The Man, The Band, The Plan To Make An "Idol" Act America's Next Top Rock Group"-----Billboard Mag
IPB Image
Set Karen-----------------------------------------------------------------------Daughtry Lifer
+Quote Post
JPL Fan 4ever
post Jul 2nd 2007, 4:39 PM
Post #6

Fav. AI7: Michael Johns
Fav. AI8: Kris Allen

Nice writeups. I love seeing everybody really enjoying their performances.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
~*Daughtrified~*
post Jul 2nd 2007, 5:10 PM
Post #7

Another write-up! w00t.gif

Credit: educgirl from DO

I am just returning from Halifax from the Canada Day Concert on the Hill and I must say, it was by far one of the best concerts they've ever had on Citadel Hill. I liked the other bands but I honestly bought the ticket only because I heard Daughtry was playing.
I was about 3-4 rows of people back from the stage and it was incredible. A friend of mine and myself were almost in tears when Chris sang "Home" because the band is just so incredible. Their vocals, instrumentals, and stage presense were fantastic!

The only thing that upset us were the people who were all upfront but didn't even know the words to the songs - only because we knew all the words to the songs the band were playing yet couldn't get right up front to see them up close and personal!

If the band sees this: I hope you all had a great time performing in Canada! As a huge fan, I really hope you return to perform again, whether it be Halifax or another Canadian city! I will definately make the attempt to be there.

Daughtry was by far, the highlight of the concert for me! I am still amazed by Daughtry's performance!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
tifferoo
post Jul 2nd 2007, 5:49 PM
Post #8

Fav. twitteran: CHRIS_Daughtry

ahh awesome! I'm so jealous of those who got to go! spaz.gif 30,000 fans? shocked.gif

--------------------
quote of the week:
"ella tiene mi corazon (she has my heart)"
+Quote Post
cd-rockon
post Jul 2nd 2007, 6:36 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(~*Daughtrified~* @ Jul 2nd 2007, 5:10 PM) *

Another write-up! w00t.gif

Credit: educgirl from DO

wub.gif aww-how sweet!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jess
post Jul 3rd 2007, 6:40 PM
Post #10

Group: Blend Artists

Fav. SYTYCD5: Janette Manrara
Fav. SYTYCD6: Jakob Karr
Fav. SYTYCD11: Serge Onik

Eeep, Hedley was there too? They rock, I've been a fan of Jacob since Canadian Idol 2. happy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
#teamjaleb ai tour 8/13 | sytycd11: serge. carly. | Serge Squad | RIP Michael Johns ♥
+Quote Post
secretly
post Jul 7th 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #11

lmao, watch this. It's hilarious

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k8uX2rtFhy4

--------------------
+Quote Post
tifferoo
post Jul 9th 2007, 4:11 AM
Post #12

Fav. twitteran: CHRIS_Daughtry

QUOTE(secretly @ Jul 7th 2007, 12:33 PM) *

lmao, watch this. It's hilarious

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k8uX2rtFhy4

roll.gif

--------------------
quote of the week:
"ella tiene mi corazon (she has my heart)"
+Quote Post
Aiken4Clay4Ever
post Aug 11th 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #13

Fav. AI2: Clay Aiken
Fav. Obsession: One Direction!!

The Halifax Daughtry show ROCKED.
It made me fall in love with him. wub.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
.:.:.I won’t let these little things slip out of my mouth.:.:.
+Quote Post
cd-rockon
post Aug 11th 2007, 1:00 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Aiken4Clay4Ever @ Aug 11th 2007, 11:39 AM) *

The Halifax Daughtry show ROCKED.
It made me fall in love with him. wub.gif

w00t.gif awesome!!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Aug 19th 2014, 11:49 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol