Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

2 Pages V < 1 2   ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Obama getting crap for not giving thanks to God.
NatesHeadbander
post Dec 3rd 2011, 6:08 PM
Post #21

Group: Members

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. AI9: Katie Stevens
Fav. AI13: NobleMuse

Honestly, who gives a flip? Everyone's just looking for an excuse to bash Obama. Of course, I'm not a huge supporter of him, but I'm not about to down him for every little thing. America is NOT a Christian nation and if Obama gave thanks to the God of Christianity, he would also have to give thanks to Allah and other gods since America is so diverse in religious beliefs. Totally absurd. Politics =/= Religion wacko.gif
QUOTE(bumnummies @ Dec 1st 2011, 12:18 AM) *
Christianity is just crazy crazy split and there are so many different interpretations on it. Catholics are basically considered the snobs, they're the one with the Pope and the Vatican, priests, bishops, cardinals, nuns and all of that business. Baptists = The Duggar Family. or the Westboro Baptist Church, but lets be realistic... they don't even count because their agenda is just backwards. Protestants = widely known as the sane, easier going group of the bunch that don't get all pissy about divorce and gays - Anglicans (aka Church of England, started by Henry VIII!) being a close second although the church doesn't still officially recognize gay marriage as a whole and only permits select parishes to perform same-sex marriages. tongue.gif And the Evangelicals are like... the crazies, usually. That covers some of the popular ones anyways haha.gif Sorry if I offended anyone by that. tongue.gif
Oh wow. I'm Baptist. This is offensive shocked.gif jk original.gif And I can tell you that the majority of Protestants are in no way accepting of gays (excluding me of course). Most of them are a-okay with divorce though considering most of them get one. The Bible clearly states that it's adultery to remarry a divorced person and also that when two people are made one through marriage, they can't be torn apart even through divorce. Most Protestants who are divorced and remarried love to ignore these passages condemning their marriage when they're condemning gay marriage. Sounds hypocritical, eh? thumbdown.gif

This post has been edited by NatesHeadbander: Dec 3rd 2011, 6:09 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
sig: Raphy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Dec 3rd 2011, 6:08 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

bumnummies
post Dec 5th 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #22

Group: Blend Artists

QUOTE(NatesHeadbander @ Dec 3rd 2011, 6:08 PM) *

Oh wow. I'm Baptist. This is offensive shocked.gif jk original.gif And I can tell you that the majority of Protestants are in no way accepting of gays (excluding me of course). Most of them are a-okay with divorce though considering most of them get one. The Bible clearly states that it's adultery to remarry a divorced person and also that when two people are made one through marriage, they can't be torn apart even through divorce. Most Protestants who are divorced and remarried love to ignore these passages condemning their marriage when they're condemning gay marriage. Sounds hypocritical, eh? thumbdown.gif

Well, not ALL protestants as a whole, but there are many many protestant churches that perform same-sex marriages, more than most other sects I'd say. tongue.gif

--------------------
MY NAME IS JENN. | COME VISIT ME ON TUMBLR OK? | or TWITTER | VERSION: COLCHELE.
IPB Image
| GLEE: Rachel. Kurt. Blaine. Tina. Santana. Sam. Brittany. And Everyone Else. :) | OH and I make stuff: REDBUBBLE |
+Quote Post
Drew
post Dec 5th 2011, 1:39 PM
Post #23

I know so many people who are still critical of Obama over the religion issue.

--------------------
thevoiceus: bria. christina. tess. delvin. kristen. josh. sisaundra. kat.
thevoiceuk: christina marie. jamie. georgia. sophie. sally. bizzi. rachael. lee.
xfactoruk: sam. luke. tamera. lorna. kingsland road. nicholas.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
NatesHeadbander
post Dec 7th 2011, 5:29 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Dec 5th 2011, 12:38 PM) *

Well, not ALL protestants as a whole, but there are many many protestant churches that perform same-sex marriages, more than most other sects I'd say. tongue.gif
Ahh I see what you're saying. That's true I suppose. It's just that the churches that do support same sex marriages are usually not as mentioned when people think of Protestants. Baptists are the biggest denomination within Protestantism so most people tend to look at their beliefs along with other major anti gay denominations and generalize Christians as a whole. The churches against homosexuality also tend to be more vocal about it (ex. Westboro Baptist Church of course!). They make us all look like bigoted nuts rolleyes.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
bumnummies
post Dec 8th 2011, 9:10 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(NatesHeadbander @ Dec 7th 2011, 5:29 PM) *

Ahh I see what you're saying. That's true I suppose. It's just that the churches that do support same sex marriages are usually not as mentioned when people think of Protestants. Baptists are the biggest denomination within Protestantism so most people tend to look at their beliefs along with other major anti gay denominations and generalize Christians as a whole. The churches against homosexuality also tend to be more vocal about it (ex. Westboro Baptist Church of course!). They make us all look like bigoted nuts rolleyes.gif

See this is what I don't understand, I didn't realize being "protestant" was like... everything... or basically "Not Catholic". So that's my bad.... LOL. I guess 'cause I went to a United Church when I was a lot younger so we didn't exactly have a denomination.... tongue.gif But I also still thought Baptists were pretty anti-gay marriage (as a whole, not as individuals per say) - not like, super crazy freaks like the WBC (that's why I said "don't count them" lol), but more in like with the Duggars - not to say that all Baptist churches think you should have giant families and wear skirts and not kiss before marriage... LOL. But just generally a little more "to the bible" I always felt.

--------------------
MY NAME IS JENN. | COME VISIT ME ON TUMBLR OK? | or TWITTER | VERSION: COLCHELE.
IPB Image
| GLEE: Rachel. Kurt. Blaine. Tina. Santana. Sam. Brittany. And Everyone Else. :) | OH and I make stuff: REDBUBBLE |
+Quote Post
NatesHeadbander
post Dec 8th 2011, 5:53 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Dec 8th 2011, 9:10 AM) *

See this is what I don't understand, I didn't realize being "protestant" was like... everything... or basically "Not Catholic". So that's my bad.... LOL. I guess 'cause I went to a United Church when I was a lot younger so we didn't exactly have a denomination.... tongue.gif But I also still thought Baptists were pretty anti-gay marriage (as a whole, not as individuals per say) - not like, super crazy freaks like the WBC (that's why I said "don't count them" lol), but more in like with the Duggars - not to say that all Baptist churches think you should have giant families and wear skirts and not kiss before marriage... LOL. But just generally a little more "to the bible" I always felt.
The United Church does support gay marriage if I'm not mistaken, right? I think they're Protestant too original.gif And haha! The Duggars are super extreme when it comes to their religious beliefs in my opinion. They go way overboard. I really don't think women are even designed to carry 19 children. The whole "leave it up to God" thing regarding how many kids they have is getting out of hand! I read that if the mom tries to have one more baby, there could be serious medical risks.

As for giant families...mostly Mormons usually have a ton of kids because of their belief that families will live together in the next life. Long skirts, no makeup, no haircuts for women...Assemblies of God. Most of the Baptists are actually pretty laid back (last church I went to everyone wore jeans!). They just consider the Bible the infallible, inerrant word of God and are conservative on big issues. If it doesn't line up with the bible, don't even think about it! original.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
bumnummies
post Dec 8th 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(NatesHeadbander @ Dec 8th 2011, 5:53 PM) *

The United Church does support gay marriage if I'm not mistaken, right? I think they're Protestant too original.gif And haha! The Duggars are super extreme when it comes to their religious beliefs in my opinion. They go way overboard. I really don't think women are even designed to carry 19 children. The whole "leave it up to God" thing regarding how many kids they have is getting out of hand! I read that if the mom tries to have one more baby, there could be serious medical risks.

As for giant families...mostly Mormons usually have a ton of kids because of their belief that families will live together in the next life. Long skirts, no makeup, no haircuts for women...Assemblies of God. Most of the Baptists are actually pretty laid back (last church I went to everyone wore jeans!). They just consider the Bible the infallible, inerrant word of God and are conservative on big issues. If it doesn't line up with the bible, don't even think about it! original.gif

You know she's pregnant with number 20, right whistling.gif And yeah like I know they take the dress code seriously and stuff (and obviously Mormons tend to be worse in that regard) and that's more towards their church and community than being Baptist in general, but everything you said in the last two sentences is pretty much what I thought. Which comes down to the whole reason why the Duggars have 19-soon-to-be-20 kids... because they believe that God gets to decide whether or not they have more children and don't believe in birth control. And if you don't believe in Birth control..... I mean, "Family Planning" isn't reliable LOL. And I'm sure there's a verse somewhere in the bible that they've twisted to mean that. But yeah. Obviously cousin Anna is sane somewhat, LOL.

This post has been edited by bumnummies: Dec 8th 2011, 10:31 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
NatesHeadbander
post Dec 9th 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Dec 8th 2011, 10:31 PM) *

You know she's pregnant with number 20, right whistling.gif And yeah like I know they take the dress code seriously and stuff (and obviously Mormons tend to be worse in that regard) and that's more towards their church and community than being Baptist in general, but everything you said in the last two sentences is pretty much what I thought. Which comes down to the whole reason why the Duggars have 19-soon-to-be-20 kids... because they believe that God gets to decide whether or not they have more children and don't believe in birth control. And if you don't believe in Birth control..... I mean, "Family Planning" isn't reliable LOL. And I'm sure there's a verse somewhere in the bible that they've twisted to mean that. But yeah. Obviously cousin Anna is sane somewhat, LOL.
Oh my gosh someone needs to force her to get her tubes tied...lol! Genesis 38 is actually used to justify birth control being bad. It's the passage where Onan is commanded to marry his brother's wife to make offspring with her. He instead spills his semen on the ground while they're doing it....and God kills him. Some even go so far as to say it's as bad as abortion and worse than adultery to use birth control which I think is absolutely crazy to say wacko.gif

Here's a quote:
"'The voluntary spilling of semen outside of intercourse between man and woman is a monstrous thing. Deliberately to withdraw from coitus in order that semen may fall on the ground is doubly monstrous. For this is to extinguish the hope of the race and to kill before he is born the hoped for offspring. This impiety is especially condemned, now by the Spirit though Moses' mouth, that Onan, as it were, by a violent abortion, no less cruelly than filthily cast upon the ground the offspring of his brother, torn from the maternal womb. Besides, in this way he tried, as far as he was able, to wipe out a part of the human race (Calvin's Commentary on Gen. 38:8-10, translated from the Latin, as quoted in Provan, The Bible and Birth Control), p. 68)."

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
SpamGoddess
post Dec 9th 2011, 5:50 PM
Post #29

Bet ya wish you hadn't asked for one now eh? yep
Group Icon

Group: Neurox Media Moderators

Fav. Sports Team: Atlanta Braves

Oh, most Baptists are still against gay marriage. My grandfather (who was a Baptist preacher for yeeeeeeears) doesn't even allow Ellen to be on his tv. noexpression.gif However, at the same time, you have tons and tons of Baptist kids coming out recently. So it's sort of evening out, but it's still ridiculous. I don't understand how people care that much about something that doesn't affect them?

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Dec 8th 2011, 10:31 PM) *

You know she's pregnant with number 20, right whistling.gif

Not anymore. She had a miscarriage this week. sad.gif

QUOTE(NatesHeadbander @ Dec 9th 2011, 4:16 PM) *

Oh my gosh someone needs to force her to get her tubes tied...lol! Genesis 38 is actually used to justify birth control being bad. It's the passage where Onan is commanded to marry his brother's wife to make offspring with her. He instead spills his semen on the ground while they're doing it....and God kills him. Some even go so far as to say it's as bad as abortion and worse than adultery to use birth control which I think is absolutely crazy to say wacko.gif

Here's a quote:
"'The voluntary spilling of semen outside of intercourse between man and woman is a monstrous thing. Deliberately to withdraw from coitus in order that semen may fall on the ground is doubly monstrous. For this is to extinguish the hope of the race and to kill before he is born the hoped for offspring. This impiety is especially condemned, now by the Spirit though Moses' mouth, that Onan, as it were, by a violent abortion, no less cruelly than filthily cast upon the ground the offspring of his brother, torn from the maternal womb. Besides, in this way he tried, as far as he was able, to wipe out a part of the human race (Calvin's Commentary on Gen. 38:8-10, translated from the Latin, as quoted in Provan, The Bible and Birth Control), p. 68)."

Jim Bob and Michelle used to use birth control, but after she had Josh (the oldest), she got pregnant while on birth control and it caused serious issues (including a miscarriage), so that's why they don't use it anymore.

Why they don't use another form of protection is beyond me, though.

--------------------
[v.One True Love] :That's how I roll: [12.18.06/04.22.07/01.30.09/8.15.13] :Tumblr | Twitter:
IPB Image
[RIP, Gary. The RE misses you. ♥] :May the odds be ever in your favor:
+Quote Post
DiAnAmItE4LiFe
post Dec 9th 2011, 7:36 PM
Post #30

Fav. AI8: Matt Giraud
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI11: Elise Testone

Yeah, I think Baptists are still pretty much against gay marriage as a whole. I've been going to Baptist churches my whole life (and the same one since I was 7), and although the topic has never come up, I would guess that most of the people probably still feel that way. My church is really casual though, like everyone wears jeans. Well, not everyone. giggle.gif And the music is very contemporary, stuff like that. Oh and the pastor doesn't yell. haha.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
Tumblr l Twitter l #JEAH l Sig: oxidol_2.0 | AI12: Burnell, Candice, Angie, Devin, Amber
+Quote Post
SpamGoddess
post Dec 9th 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #31

Bet ya wish you hadn't asked for one now eh? yep
Group Icon

Group: Neurox Media Moderators

Fav. Sports Team: Atlanta Braves

QUOTE(DiAnAmItE4LiFe @ Dec 9th 2011, 7:36 PM) *

Yeah, I think Baptists are still pretty much against gay marriage as a whole. I've been going to Baptist churches my whole life (and the same one since I was 7), and although the topic has never come up, I would guess that most of the people probably still feel that way. My church is really casual though, like everyone wears jeans. Well, not everyone. giggle.gif And the music is very contemporary, stuff like that. Oh and the pastor doesn't yell. haha.gif

lololol my grandpa (on my mom's side) was a Baptist preacher up until about four years ago, and he would yell all the time. He's hard of hearing too, so once I decided that the reason he yelled is because he couldn't hear himself. My grandma got so mad at me, but IT IS THE TRUTH OK. Now that they've moved, they go to a church where the preacher not only yells, but he also does like... squats and stuff up there. I think it's weird and I try to avoid going when I'm there. haha.gif

My church (which is non-denominational, not Baptist) has some major issues right now, but I love my pastor and I enjoy that he doesn't yell at me or anything else weird.

--------------------
[v.One True Love] :That's how I roll: [12.18.06/04.22.07/01.30.09/8.15.13] :Tumblr | Twitter:
IPB Image
[RIP, Gary. The RE misses you. ♥] :May the odds be ever in your favor:
+Quote Post
bumnummies
post Dec 10th 2011, 9:41 AM
Post #32

Yeah I just heard about Michelle's miscarriage. sad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
nanabanana
post Dec 11th 2011, 11:13 AM
Post #33

Fav. AI8: Danny Gokey
Fav. AI9: Lee DeWyze

Why does he have to thank God? He's not accepting an Oscar. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
NatesHeadbander
post Dec 11th 2011, 8:25 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(SpamGoddess @ Dec 9th 2011, 5:50 PM) *

Jim Bob and Michelle used to use birth control, but after she had Josh (the oldest), she got pregnant while on birth control and it caused serious issues (including a miscarriage), so that's why they don't use it anymore.

Why they don't use another form of protection is beyond me, though.
Ohh so it wasnt for religious reasons at all then?

QUOTE(SpamGoddess @ Dec 9th 2011, 10:58 PM) *

My church (which is non-denominational, not Baptist) has some major issues right now, but I love my pastor and I enjoy that he doesn't yell at me or anything else weird.
I haaaate it when pastors yell! They may be passionate about what they're saying, but I prefer a pastor who can get his point across in a calm manner

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Dec 10th 2011, 9:41 AM) *

Yeah I just heard about Michelle's miscarriage. sad.gif
They said she might have problems if she had another baby. That's so freakin sad crying.gif

This post has been edited by NatesHeadbander: Dec 11th 2011, 10:11 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
adamsmo
post Dec 11th 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #35

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. AI8: Kris Allen

QUOTE(Steven @ Nov 25th 2011, 2:51 PM) *

http://www.aol.com/2011/11/25/obama-thanks...1_lnk1%7C115617

Really, honestly, who cares? This is why a lot of religious people get me so mad. I'm a Christian, but I don't care that he didn't thank God.

Heh. I do think of Thanksgiving as a civil holiday. It's customary, tradition. You can add a religious element to it if you like! But there is definitely nothing about it in itself that is religious.

This applies to a lot of holidays though!

--------------------
http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com/

is you very anti-abortions because you yourself was aborted?
+Quote Post
adamsmo
post Dec 11th 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #36

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. AI8: Kris Allen

QUOTE(DiAnAmItE4LiFe @ Dec 9th 2011, 6:36 PM) *

Pretty much.

Baptists are fairly middle-of-the-road, though. Within Christian denominations, that is.

Not to be confused with Southern Baptists. Oh lawdy what can I say about them...

--------------------
http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com/

is you very anti-abortions because you yourself was aborted?
+Quote Post
NatesHeadbander
post Dec 12th 2011, 4:06 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(adamsmo @ Dec 11th 2011, 11:13 PM) *

Not to be confused with Southern Baptists. Oh lawdy what can I say about them...
And I just happen to live in the heart of the Bible belt where Southern Baptists are everywhere. Oh the joy...haha!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Apr 16th 2014, 5:22 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol