Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Camera Tips for the Show, Since I'm getting a whole lot of questions- merged.
HeatherLovesAI
post Jul 12th 2008, 4:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI8: Kris Allen
Fav. AI10: Stefano Langone
Fav. AI11: Phillip Phillips

First off your camera HAS to have Manual settings. (if you have a tiny pocket sized point and shoot camera it won't work) If it doesn't you can't do this, I'm sorry.

I use this camera Sony Cybershot with 15x optical zoom. If you are going to buy one I'd buy a camera that has at least 10x optical zoom. The Panasonic Lumix is also a good and cheaper option. mine was similar to this

Example from my Sony
IPB Image

Example from my Lumix
IPB Image

Both were shot from the front row. I just notice my Sony ones are a bit clear, as the camera is more updated and has more features. If you have a good zoom (at least 10x) you should be able to shoot from max about 30 rows back.

First, put your camera on M mode for manual

Change the aperture to f2.8 (or as low as it goes, some don't go that low) it may not say aperture, may just show the number, or A but change that!

The shutter speed should be 100 (or 1/100 depends how your camera shows it)

the ISO should be 400, I don't go higher because the pictures will be grainy.

Aperture is how much light the camera lets in, at a concert it's dark so you want as much as possible and 2.8 is as open as it gets. and Shutter is how fast the picture takes. Slower the shutter speed (ie 40...50...) the more light it lets in, but the blurrier it becomes (unless your taking time laspe). Any faster than around 100 your pics would be too dark, any slower and your pics would be blurry.

If lets say the concert was REALLLLLY bright I might adjust the shutter to make it faster, like 125 or 160...

So make sure you push the button half way down to focus.

TURN THE FLASH OFF! Flash does nothing unless you are less than 6 feet away from what you are shooting. It will just cause your pics to be overexposed. Their stage is bright enough anyways you don't need it.

Take a lot! Get a big memory card. I took 200 or so at each show, I ended up with about 80-100 good ones if that.

Also if you know the song try to catch them when they are going to step away from the mic, or are going to belt (like Archie up there) it adds emotion to the picture.

Any questions I will try an answer. I'm by no means a professional! But I've gotten pretty good at teaching myself how to do concert photography.

And one Photoshop editing tip. Go to images > adjustment > selective color and go to Black in the drop down box, and up the black a bit makes them a bit sharper.

This post has been edited by HeatherLovesAI: Apr 19th 2013, 10:56 PM

--------------------
P2 // SKYLAR // JOSHUA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Jul 12th 2008, 4:48 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

sprout
post Jul 12th 2008, 5:59 PM
Post #2

guy's official tour guide

Group: NX Premium Subscribers

all good tips, heather! those are concert pic rules i live by! AMAZING pics, btw. shocked.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
shereen
post Jul 12th 2008, 6:02 PM
Post #3

haha thanks for re-posting these & adding a little more. it is really helpful though!
i have a 1GB SD card, and i'll probably clear it the day before. it should be enough, my camera is 6.0 mp with 10x zoom.
i have photoshop too, which i'm pretty good with, so even if it's not absolutely perfect i can still fix up a picture a little
i'm so excited.

photo.gif photo.gif photo.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
sprout
post Jul 12th 2008, 6:05 PM
Post #4

i got myself a 4GB card which was on sale recently. much better than filling up one and having to change to another during the show, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
amber1
post Jul 12th 2008, 6:24 PM
Post #5

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. Non-Idol: Keith Urban

Do you have any tips for people who DO have ultra compact point & shoot cameras? Mine is a Canon PowerShot SD1100 8 MP 3x zoom. Obviously, I won't get pics like yours, but any tips would be great flowers.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
+Quote Post
angel-lynn
post Jul 12th 2008, 7:27 PM
Post #6

I'm 34 rows back on the floor and I have a camera that has 10x zoom. How close can I zoom in on the idols? What do you recommend for taking videos?

--------------------
+Quote Post
BestUsernameEva
post Jul 12th 2008, 7:38 PM
Post #7

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI13: Majesty Rose

Awesome, thanks!

I have another question though. fear.gif My flash is usually set to automatic--should I turn the flash on/off?

--------------------
13: Majesty, Alex, Jena, Caleb, Jess
12: Angie | 11: Skylar | 10: Haley, Paul, Casey | 9: what
8: Kris, Allison, Matt, Adam | 7: David C, David A, Brooke, Jason, Carly, Michael
6: Jordin, Chris R, Blake, Gina, Phil | 5: Elliott, Taylor, Chris, Melissa, Bucky
4: Jessica, Bo, Nadia | 3: Fantasia, Diana, JPL | 2: Vanessa, Clay | 1: Kelly
+Quote Post
shereen
post Jul 12th 2008, 9:21 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(BestUsernameEva @ Jul 12th 2008, 8:38 PM) *

Awesome, thanks!

I have another question though. fear.gif My flash is usually set to automatic--should I turn the flash on/off?

i'll answer for you.
turn flash off.
flash is useless if you're far away anyways,
& there's bright lights on them already.
just sticking the lighting that's already there will make your photos look more, idk, iconic.

--------------------
+Quote Post
missgloria<3kat
post Jul 12th 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #9

Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. dancers:Natalli Reznik&Chelsie

i took photography class and I know aperture and stuff but unfourtunatly, i do not have the money for buy those camera and I know they r awesome. How much did you pay for those cameras? I saw the pic of ur camera and it's not a fully DSLR because the lens is attach so it's like a mini DSLR but better then point and shoot. So i want to know what the price is because i might be interested in one. Very nice photos btw and amazing tips!

--------------------
Sig:DavidA_Carrie
IPB Image
+Quote Post
BestUsernameEva
post Jul 12th 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #10

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI13: Majesty Rose

QUOTE(shereen @ Jul 12th 2008, 10:21 PM) *

i'll answer for you.
turn flash off.
flash is useless if you're far away anyways,
& there's bright lights on them already.
just sticking the lighting that's already there will make your photos look more, idk, iconic.

Thanks! heart.gif

--------------------
13: Majesty, Alex, Jena, Caleb, Jess
12: Angie | 11: Skylar | 10: Haley, Paul, Casey | 9: what
8: Kris, Allison, Matt, Adam | 7: David C, David A, Brooke, Jason, Carly, Michael
6: Jordin, Chris R, Blake, Gina, Phil | 5: Elliott, Taylor, Chris, Melissa, Bucky
4: Jessica, Bo, Nadia | 3: Fantasia, Diana, JPL | 2: Vanessa, Clay | 1: Kelly
+Quote Post
HeatherLovesAI
post Jul 12th 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #11

Fav. AI8: Kris Allen
Fav. AI10: Stefano Langone
Fav. AI11: Phillip Phillips

QUOTE(amber1 @ Jul 12th 2008, 4:24 PM) *

Do you have any tips for people who DO have ultra compact point & shoot cameras? Mine is a Canon PowerShot SD1100 8 MP 3x zoom. Obviously, I won't get pics like yours, but any tips would be great flowers.gif

Unless your front row. Don't take pics! LOL I dunno. You can't make those any better!

QUOTE(angel-lynn @ Jul 12th 2008, 5:27 PM) *

I'm 34 rows back on the floor and I have a camera that has 10x zoom. How close can I zoom in on the idols? What do you recommend for taking videos?

I was 29th row at LA, I got some pics it's just hard because of the heads. I used some of the digital zoom, but that was probably putting me close to 18x zoom. I'd say make sure you shoot higher quality pics then u can resize them down.

IPB Image
maybe that type of view? I dunno for sure!

QUOTE(BestUsernameEva @ Jul 12th 2008, 5:38 PM) *

Awesome, thanks!

OFF always off! Yea the lighting from the stage does it for you.

--------------------
P2 // SKYLAR // JOSHUA
+Quote Post
Michelle7107
post Jul 13th 2008, 1:22 AM
Post #12

HeatherlovesAI is this the camera you have?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-new-Sony-Cybersh...1QQcmdZViewItem

I think I want to get the same one if the picture quality is really that good. whistling.gif Does it take video also?

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
VanCanDance
post Jul 13th 2008, 8:05 AM
Post #13

Fav. AI8: Adam Lambert

Thank you Heather!

Sorry for boggling you with so many questions...!!

You're a great help though. Thanks to you, I started playing around with my camera a little more and found some great new features!

My Lumix has a 'Slow Shutter' option with the following sub-options: 1/8 -, 1/4 -, 1/2 -, 1 -

Any ideas on which is best?

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
sprout
post Jul 13th 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #14

yeah, leave the flash OFF. pics come out way better.

i never use digital zoom. that makes the pics grainy.

--------------------
+Quote Post
VanCanDance
post Jul 13th 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #15

Fav. AI8: Adam Lambert

QUOTE(sprout @ Jul 13th 2008, 12:53 PM) *

yeah, leave the flash OFF. pics come out way better.

i never use digital zoom. that makes the pics grainy.

Great tips! I shut off the digi zoom on my camera yesterday. I think it'll remove a lot of the graininess I was getting.

BUT.... I do have to say... that if you're kind of far away and don't use flash, the pics will come out blurry (at least with my cameras, anyway!). Only if I'm close enough to really get a lot of the stage light in, can I not use flash and the pics will come out just fine.

Also, I reduced the sensitivity on my camera yesterday as well, and when I tried to take pics, I noticed they came out much better!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ArchAngelKeds
post Jul 13th 2008, 2:30 PM
Post #16

Fav. Judge: Simon Cowell
Fav. AI7: I <3 the Top 10 :)

I have basically no clue how to use my mom's lumix. but i will try.

--------------------
+Quote Post
shasta33
post Jul 13th 2008, 4:19 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(missgloria<3kat @ Jul 12th 2008, 10:42 PM) *

i took photography class and I know aperture and stuff but unfourtunatly, i do not have the money for buy those camera and I know they r awesome. How much did you pay for those cameras? I saw the pic of ur camera and it's not a fully DSLR because the lens is attach so it's like a mini DSLR but better then point and shoot. So i want to know what the price is because i might be interested in one. Very nice photos btw and amazing tips!

I checked out some cameras online at a few different stores. Sony doesn't make the Cybershot DSC-H7 anymore. The new models are:

Sony Cybershot DSC-H10 8.1 MP 10x zoom. $279 @ Walmart, $299 @ Best Buy & $279 @ Circuit City.

Sony Cybershot DSC-H50 9 MP 15x zoom. $369 @ Circuit City. That's the only store I checked on price for that model.

Canon 8.0 MP S5IS 12x zoom. $324 @ Walmart, $332 @ Best Buy & $299 @ Circuit City. I'm thinking this one's the best value for the money.

They all have man settings and take video.

I am leaning towards either the Sony Cybershot DSC-H10 or the Canon Powershot S5IS with 12x zoom for $299 @ Circuit City. I think either of those would be fine for me because I only go to concerts a few times a year. I like that they both have manuel settings and take video.

--------------------
IPB Image
Photo by Seashellsxo
+Quote Post
PhilStaceyPhan07
post Jul 13th 2008, 4:25 PM
Post #18

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI8: Kradison <3

Thanks Heather! I hope I can get some decent shots. My camera usually is pretty good, depending on the circumstances.

--------------------
Rest In Peace Michael Johns. You will be missed. We'll see you across the universe someday.
IPB Image
Icon by Jess ~ Facebook - Twitter - Instagram ~ Carry On...
+Quote Post
missgloria<3kat
post Jul 13th 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #19

Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. dancers:Natalli Reznik&Chelsie

QUOTE(shasta33 @ Jul 13th 2008, 5:19 PM) *

I checked out some cameras online at a few different stores. Sony doesn't make the Cybershot DSC-H7 anymore. The new models are:

Sony Cybershot DSC-H10 8.1 MP 10x zoom. $279 @ Walmart, $299 @ Best Buy & $279 @ Circuit City.

Sony Cybershot DSC-H50 9 MP 15x zoom. $369 @ Circuit City. That's the only store I checked on price for that model.

Canon 8.0 MP S5IS 12x zoom. $324 @ Walmart, $332 @ Best Buy & $299 @ Circuit City. I'm thinking this one's the best value for the money.

They all have man settings and take video.

I am leaning towards either the Sony Cybershot DSC-H10 or the Canon Powershot S5IS with 12x zoom for $299 @ Circuit City. I think either of those would be fine for me because I only go to concerts a few times a year. I like that they both have manuel settings and take video.

thanks that's alot of help! Unfourtunatly i just got a point and shoot camera not too long ago but my next camera will def. be one of these =) thanks once again. they aren't as expensive as i though.

--------------------
Sig:DavidA_Carrie
IPB Image
+Quote Post
music_tv_fan
post Jul 14th 2008, 3:29 AM
Post #20

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. Rascal Flatts & Supernatural

I just bought a Sony DSC-H50/B 9.1-Megapixel 15x optical zoom for $399
IPB Image IPB Image
I love it can't wait to see what great pictures I get in concert. for more info: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-DSC-H5...roductDetail.do
p.s good tips I'm going to try them.

This post has been edited by music_tv_fan: Jul 14th 2008, 3:39 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Nov 23rd 2014, 9:47 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol