Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NYT article on SYTYCD
treejuice
post Aug 7th 2011, 1:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/arts/dan...1&ref=dance

Interesting light read, enjoy original.gif

--------------------
SYTYCD7: BILLY BELL
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Aug 7th 2011, 1:12 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

jstxanothrxstory
post Aug 7th 2011, 9:34 AM
Post #2

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. AI9: Lee DeWyze

Pretty cool read. Except I thought the show wasn't averaging eight million viewers this year? unsure.gif

--------------------
I ♥ Andrew. ◄◄ Last.fm. Twitter. Lee-DeWyze.net. It Element 4.
IPB Image
S:SJDS: Jon. Reed. Jaclyn. Natalie. ◄◄ DWTS19: Janel/Val. Alfonso/Witney. Lea/Artem.
+Quote Post
soulkissage
post Aug 7th 2011, 11:09 AM
Post #3

Fav. SYTYCD5: Evan Kasprzak
Fav. SYTYCD7: Billy Bell
Fav. X Factor: Carly Rose Sonenclar

QUOTE(jstxanothrxstory @ Aug 7th 2011, 10:34 AM) *

Pretty cool read. Except I thought the show wasn't averaging eight million viewers this year? unsure.gif
It's averaging 5ish. Does anyone know what the DVR rating is? I think quite a few people are watching it later and just going to the website to vote.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ketchuplover
post Aug 7th 2011, 1:09 PM
Post #4

WARNING!!!!!!! The link may be infected. Proceed with caution. Thank you

--------------------
+Quote Post
jstxanothrxstory
post Aug 7th 2011, 2:06 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(soulkissage @ Aug 7th 2011, 12:09 PM) *
It's averaging 5ish. Does anyone know what the DVR rating is? I think quite a few people are watching it later and just going to the website to vote.
Oh, that makes more sense, then. I've only seen the numbers from people who watch it live and those were down to the one million mark so I was confused.

--------------------
IPB Image
S:SJDS: Jon. Reed. Jaclyn. Natalie. ◄◄ DWTS19: Janel/Val. Alfonso/Witney. Lea/Artem.
+Quote Post
poopooface
post Aug 7th 2011, 5:09 PM
Post #6

haha, I'm surprised so many of these pro-dancers are talking so much trash. Do they think they can adapt to other styles as well the contestants do? Or maybe they don't realize dancers on the show are forced to dance outside of their preferred style?

Also, some of the ideas they had for the show were terrible. Make each dancer do the same tap dance and same pas de deux? sleep_1.gif Sounded more like braggadocio then actual criticism of the show. I do they think have a point that the show tends to focus a lot more on the athletic side of dance which sometimes detracts from the artistic side of dance. Other than that though, they just sounded like they wanted to talk smack.

--------------------
+Quote Post
jNk
post Aug 7th 2011, 5:16 PM
Post #7

The show is lucky to pull six million.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
pazzazz
post Aug 8th 2011, 5:21 AM
Post #8

Lolz, Melanie's their favorite. I Think everyone who has a say in the business has designated her as the one. 'Nuff said. shifty.gif

This post has been edited by pazzazz: Aug 8th 2011, 5:22 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
jstxanothrxstory
post Aug 8th 2011, 7:08 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(poopooface @ Aug 7th 2011, 6:09 PM) *
Also, some of the ideas they had for the show were terrible. Make each dancer do the same tap dance and same pas de deux? sleep_1.gif
I'm pretty sure when the show started, two couples learned the same routine and the judges picked the B3 based off which couple was worse.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
smilesunshineex3
post Aug 8th 2011, 9:08 AM
Post #10

Fav. SYTYCD2: Allison Holker
Fav. SYTYCD7: Lauren Froderman

I don't know, that article kind of bothered me. It was interesting to see what professionals in the industry thought about a show like that, but it seemed to me like they thought they thought themselves superior to the contestants just for the fact that they weren't commercial dancers. I mean, saying no one would want to hire Marko because he got emotional over one piece? Seems kind of extreme, but just my opinion. tongue.gif

--------------------
i can't, no i won't hush
i'll say the words that make you
blush
+Quote Post
dancingmind
post Aug 8th 2011, 9:30 AM
Post #11

To me it did not sound like they were critisizing the dancers but more what the show wants from them and what it encourages...

--------------------
SYTYCD 11 favs:
Teddy. Zach. Tanisha. Bridget.

Alltime favs: Billy. Allison. Gev. Pasha. Ellenore. Jakob. Eliana. Lauren. Jasmine
+Quote Post
poopooface
post Aug 8th 2011, 6:04 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(jstxanothrxstory @ Aug 8th 2011, 8:08 AM) *

I'm pretty sure when the show started, two couples learned the same routine and the judges picked the B3 based off which couple was worse.

I suppose if this is true then I can't really clown on that dancer for that terrible idea since the show producers experimented with it too. Still, the way she( or he? I forgot) singled out two genres that are probably impossible to learn in a short time (ballet and tap) suggests to me she was more interested in schadenfreude than actually watching good routines.

Are you sure that the show started out this way? I can't imagine the show would have been popular enough for a second season if they did this regularly.

QUOTE(dancingmind @ Aug 8th 2011, 10:30 AM) *

To me it did not sound like they were critisizing the dancers but more what the show wants from them and what it encourages...

I dunno. That last quote where somebody basically said these dancers would be eaten alive in New York definitely sounded like criticism of the dancers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
poopooface
post Aug 11th 2011, 9:47 PM
Post #13

"They're full of crap!!"

You tell'em, Nigel!! I couldn't agree more!!!! (though I'm not sure I would have chosen that sonya routine to prove them wrong, especially since the dancers from the article were watching and dissing the top 8 show so they already saw that one)

--------------------
+Quote Post
candybliss
post Aug 11th 2011, 9:59 PM
Post #14

haha.gif They were baffled by the omission of tap and classical ballet. Tap is boring except tonight's piece and classical ballet requires rigorous training. I think they are just dense.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lana3927
post Aug 11th 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(candybliss @ Aug 11th 2011, 10:59 PM) *

haha.gif They were baffled by the omission of tap and classical ballet. Tap is boring except tonight's piece and classical ballet requires rigorous training. I think they are just dense.

ermm.gif

tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
SYTYCD8: Miranda. Nick. Marko. Tadd. Ricky. Jess. Clarice.
SYTYCDCA4:Lindsay. Christian. AdamL. Jordan. Melissa. Carlena. Matt. Kevin
+Quote Post
soulkissage
post Aug 11th 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #16

Fav. SYTYCD5: Evan Kasprzak
Fav. SYTYCD7: Billy Bell
Fav. X Factor: Carly Rose Sonenclar

I think if the show can give krump to contemporary ballet dancers then they can give Tap and Classical ballet to hip hop dancers. People want diversity and versatility so the show should make it happen. I personally think the show should have diversity in contestants and the first 4 weeks everyone should have Contemporary or Jazz /Hip hop/Latin/Ballroom* so that us fans can only bitch about the contestants dancing what is given. But I do think if we can have the off styles why not ballet and tap? Off dances should be given only on nights of 2 dances.

*There is enough diversity in these 4/5 styles if the ptb hired diverse choreographers and cast diverse dancers.

This post has been edited by soulkissage: Aug 11th 2011, 10:15 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ShondorCameron
post Aug 11th 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #17

lets see those dancers try out and see how they fare. dont judge what you havent done. such arrogance and im glad the SYTYCD family is so welcoming and congratulatory.

--------------------
+Quote Post
smilesunshineex3
post Aug 12th 2011, 9:56 AM
Post #18

Fav. SYTYCD2: Allison Holker
Fav. SYTYCD7: Lauren Froderman

I found this interesting. Tiler Peck, one of the girls in the article, posted these comments on Travis Wall's Facebook status (about Melanie):

She is extraordinary and I wanted her to win the whole time. I am so upset that I was mentioned saying that none of them could stand up to new York dancers... That was not my comment... And I am sad that people think I said that. I respect every dancer on that show and have always spoken highly of all my friends on it

I mean why would I ever say that? Nick, Danny, you, Melanie are all amazing dancers that could dance anywhere... If you read the article I was not the girl who said that and hate being responsible for what someone else thinks sad.gif

--------------------
i can't, no i won't hush
i'll say the words that make you
blush
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Oct 24th 2014, 10:24 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol