Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

2 Pages V  1 2 >   ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> She's A Lady, oh whoa whoa..
lifesabeach
post May 26th 2011, 7:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Talkin' about the little lady... yeah.

Paul was perfect! How cute was that Tom Jones set?

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Adam-The boy who fell to Earth, according to Rolling Stone Magazine.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post May 26th 2011, 7:20 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

NatesHeadbander
post May 26th 2011, 7:21 PM
Post #2

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. Band: DMB

I agree! Paul was amazing! Great song choice for him wub.gif

Awesome finale thumbsup.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
avi:[*]||sig:[*]
+Quote Post
pumpk
post May 26th 2011, 7:39 PM
Post #3

c'mon y'all....

--------------------
+Quote Post
lifesabeach
post May 26th 2011, 8:36 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(pumpk @ May 26th 2011, 4:39 PM) *

c'mon y'all....

C'mon y'all - yeah!

What an uplifting set. Jacob was a little hard to watch in the first part of his bit but other than that the entire thing was just heart.gif

So cute, and the Delilah part was way too cute. Paul and James were totally just hamming it up and having fun with it.

The only part of the show that I liked as much was U2. kiss.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lifesabeach
post May 26th 2011, 8:43 PM
Post #5

PMcDonaldAI10 Paul McDonald
Whoa...The show tonight is going to be insane! Some serious artists are walking around backstage. Really cool stuff.

He musta been seeing Bono & The Edge walking around... so glad he got to experience that. wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
taylortriumphs
post May 26th 2011, 8:58 PM
Post #6

He could have experienced much more had he not been writing songs and falling for Nikki rolleyes.gif

Following in their footsteps are Scotty and Lauren whose every exit interview revolves around them dating and kissing !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
milesofglory
post May 26th 2011, 11:54 PM
Post #7

Fav. AI3: Jon Peter Lewis
Fav. AI10: Paul McDonald

It was so good to hear Paul's voice again; goodness where has that voice been? kiss.gif That was my favorite along with Tony Bennett and Haley's duet. Tom Jones sounded just as good as he did back then. And Tony Bennett-does it get any better than Tony Bennett? Got to give the seasoned professionals their props! original.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
b_fly26
post May 27th 2011, 5:27 AM
Post #8

Fav. AI4: Bo Bice
Fav. Stars: Marty,Jason,Blake,Sio

I was totally floored wub.gif I just kept giggling everytime, and when he stepped up to do the "She's A Lady" lead, I just about fell off my bed.

I absolutely missed seeing him on the show. SO MUCH. heart.gif

--------------------
ai11: jessica, colton, philjun | graphics: ai10, ai11
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
SMILE, cuties : djokovic, berdych, fish, murray, nadal | tumblr | twitter
+Quote Post
jstxanothrxstory
post May 27th 2011, 10:21 AM
Post #9

Fav. AI12: Angie Miller
Fav. AI13: Jessica Meuse
Fav. XFUK11: Ben Haenow

heart.gif

--------------------
I Andrew. Last.fm. Twitter.
IPB Image IPB Image
XFUK11: Ben. Jack. Fleur. SUR29: Jon. Jacyln. Natalie. Jeremy.
+Quote Post
lifesabeach
post May 27th 2011, 5:34 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(taylortriumphs @ May 26th 2011, 5:58 PM) *

He could have experienced much more had he not been writing songs and falling for Nikki rolleyes.gif

Following in their footsteps are Scotty and Lauren whose every exit interview revolves around them dating and kissing !!!

I agree he seems to have been distracted. He probably could've at least made it to 6th or 5th or maybe even 4th if he had only wanted it. Unfortunately for us, (and unbeknownst to him) and him, he didn't really want it. I think he took it for granted.

Oh well. I really really hope something comes out of it for him.

--------------------

+Quote Post
taylortriumphs
post May 27th 2011, 5:42 PM
Post #11

I think Paul is one day seriously going to regret how he handled the American Idol opportunity ... I've been wanting to post my thoughts for a while but almost everyone disappeared from this forum once he was eliminated, so I didn't think it was any use talking to myself blushing.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
pumpk
post May 27th 2011, 9:17 PM
Post #12

i know he wasn't as focused on the competition as he should've been, but i don't know that going out 5th or even 3rd instead of 7th would have made a substantial difference for his career going forward. but i'm not familiar with past idols....

what would be different for him now if he had lasted longer?

--------------------
+Quote Post
milesofglory
post May 27th 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #13

Fav. AI3: Jon Peter Lewis

QUOTE(pumpk @ May 27th 2011, 9:17 PM) *

i know he wasn't as focused on the competition as he should've been, but i don't know that going out 5th or even 3rd instead of 7th would have made a substantial difference for his career going forward. but i'm not familiar with past idols....

what would be different for him now if he had lasted longer?

Well, I am going to be honest with you pumpk, I don't see any difference between finishing third, fifth or eight for that matter. Third is an odd place to finish-it has a feeling of being third rate or something. There haven't been too many third place successful finishers. Jasmine Trias was third in Season Three-she is allegedly a "huge" star in the Phillipines. And then there is Casey James from last year. As far as I know, he didn't get a professional contract out of the deal-haven't heard from him since-but I don't follow his career either. In the year Carrie won (Season Four) Vonzell came in third; she hasn't become the star people thought she would (including me original.gif ) The only one who has been half-way successful that I can think of is Elliott Yamin, whose first album was successful; it went gold I think. I bought it and enjoyed it; but haven't listened to it in awhile.
Third place is an odd place to finish-the same for Danny Gokey in Season Eight. But he will survive because he is in the Country field and he is well liked in Nashville.
As far as fans abandoning these boards AI "fans" can be fickle; but hopefully they'll be back once his music comes out.
I honestly didn't Know Paul was Nikki Reed practically throughout the competition. Love heart.gif can be a distraction, especially if they are as wrapped up in each other as they appear to be. As far as writing songs; I don't see anything wrong with that; you have to write when the inspiration hits you. I feel Paul will be alright after he gets to relase his own music. Building a career takes time in music and I feel he's paid some dues! flowers.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.J.
post May 28th 2011, 12:49 AM
Post #14

Wherever Paul finished would've made honestly no difference at all. haha.gif He's not the ~commercial type who would ever compromise his musical integrity. This was all about the exposure and he got that.

QUOTE(milesofglory @ May 28th 2011, 12:38 AM) *

And then there is Casey James from last year. As far as I know, he didn't get a professional contract out of the deal-haven't heard from him since-but I don't follow his career either.

Casey was actually signed to a major label. RCA, I think. They're still working on his album. He's got some heavy hitter writers working on his album.

--------------------
"Humanity is premiering you jags."
+Quote Post
happypenguin
post May 28th 2011, 1:50 AM
Post #15

in your fridge...plotting world domination

Fav. SYTYCD4: Mark Kanemura
Fav. SYTYCD5: Jeanine Mason
Fav. SYTYCD6: Kathryn McCormick

Loved it heart.gif Missed him a lot.

--------------------
IPB Image
taylor lautner.
+Quote Post
grey74
post May 28th 2011, 2:16 AM
Post #16

Fav. AI11: Joshua Ledet
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI 9 Crystal Bowersox

QUOTE(milesofglory @ May 27th 2011, 11:38 PM) *

Well, I am going to be honest with you pumpk, I don't see any difference between finishing third, fifth or eight for that matter. Third is an odd place to finish-it has a feeling of being third rate or something. There haven't been too many third place successful finishers. Jasmine Trias was third in Season Three-she is allegedly a "huge" star in the Phillipines. And then there is Casey James from last year. As far as I know, he didn't get a professional contract out of the deal-haven't heard from him since-but I don't follow his career either. In the year Carrie won (Season Four) Vonzell came in third; she hasn't become the star people thought she would (including me original.gif ) The only one who has been half-way successful that I can think of is Elliott Yamin, whose first album was successful; it went gold I think. I bought it and enjoyed it; but haven't listened to it in awhile.
Third place is an odd place to finish-the same for Danny Gokey in Season Eight. But he will survive because he is in the Country field and he is well liked in Nashville.
As far as fans abandoning these boards AI "fans" can be fickle; but hopefully they'll be back once his music comes out.
I honestly didn't Know Paul was Nikki Reed practically throughout the competition. Love heart.gif can be a distraction, especially if they are as wrapped up in each other as they appear to be. As far as writing songs; I don't see anything wrong with that; you have to write when the inspiration hits you. I feel Paul will be alright after he gets to relase his own music. Building a career takes time in music and I feel he's paid some dues! flowers.gif

Last I heard Casey James was on some CMT tour with the country boys. From what it sounds like he will have an album put out soon. Kind of a blues infused country cd.

--------------------
+Quote Post
taylortriumphs
post May 28th 2011, 11:40 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(milesofglory @ May 28th 2011, 7:38 AM) *

Third is an odd place to finish-it has a feeling of being third rate or something.

If there were only 3 contestants in the competition, then yes I absolutely agree that it would have a feeling of being third rate, but when you finish 3rd out of 12 or 13 finalists .... !!! The 3rd placer also enjoys the Homecoming, which is a huge event in itself !!! I wouldn't call Melinda Doolittle and Tamyra Grey (Season 1's shock exit) third rate !!! Besides, if third is an odd place to finish, then where does that leave 9th place (Mandisa), 7th place (Jennifer Hudson), 5th place (Kellie Pickler) and 4th place (Chris Daughtry) ???

And then there is Casey James from last year. As far as I know, he didn't get a professional contract out of the deal-haven't heard from him since-but I don't follow his career either.

Are you kidding me ??? Casey signed with Sony Music Nashville 3 months after Season 9 ended and his debut album will be released through 19 Recordings/BNA Records this fall. I was privileged to see him live in Chicago and Toledo last year and the guy is amazing !!! American Idol didn't even begin to showcase his guitar playing and bluesy vocals. In March, he played the ACM Concerts at the Fremont Street Experience in Las Vegas, and since then he's been opening with a 6-song set for Sugarland, just like Danny Gokey did last year. While they were on the show, no one except Randy Travis saw Danny (and Casey) as going the country route, but they obviously got the best advice post-Idol, and I see them both as having longer and more successful careers than the actual winners of their seasons. But then, Nashville looks after their own.

I honestly didn't Know Paul was Nikki Reed practically throughout the competition. Love heart.gif can be a distraction, especially if they are as wrapped up in each other as they appear to be.

Yes, Paul and Nikki met when the Top 13 attended the Red Riding Hood Premiere, and as news gradually breaks of how things progressed, it's very obvious that he let him self get distracted by starting a new romance while just starting out on one of the greatest platforms that American Idol affords any singer and musician !!! All single male contestants when eliminated, get the inevitable romance question all rightfully answer that their primary focus is their music career. One needs to strike when the iron is hot !!!

As far as writing songs; I don't see anything wrong with that; you have to write when the inspiration hits you.

Well, Paul himself stated in interviews "I've been writing tons of material while I'm out here, which I probably shouldn't have been doing, that's why I got kicked off already", so even he's admitted that it was wrong! I don't believe he had to write ... it's not like hed been drawing a blank, or was suffering from a dearth of songs, or had a deadline or anything ... he will have had all the time in the world to do that while the American Idol tour bus is rolling it's way through America this summer !!!

QUOTE(D.J. @ May 28th 2011, 8:49 AM) *

Wherever Paul finished would've made honestly no difference at all. haha.gif He's not the ~commercial type who would ever compromise his musical integrity. This was all about the exposure and he got that.

I beg to differ. 1) Finishing at a much higher place gives you that much more air time since you are on television for that many more weeks. Also, if you are around longer, that means you're enjoying more votes, and developing more fans who will hopefully stick around to buy your albums and attend your concerts. There would have been millions (my husband included) who tuned in to the finale last Wednesday, saw Ashton and Karen and went "who the hell are they?" !!! Finishing higher also gives you a higher spot on the Idol tour with a longer song-set. I've read enough recaps to know that fans are gained when people see what you're really about when you perform live, and they too might later buy your albums and attend your concerts. 2) I don't agree that Taylor Hicks, David Cook, Kris Allen, Lee DeWyze and many others were the commercial type who compromised their musical integrity. As Lee rightly put it, when one signs up for the show, one agrees to play by the rules and that means singing songs and fitting yourself into genres and themes that you may never normally do. Like Paul, Taylor, Casey and Lee also never did covers before Idol.

Everyone's been on about the exposure that Paul got through the show, but there have actually some healthy discussions about this in GD, and I totally agree that the exposure wasn't exactly positive or decent. If the media only keeps writing you off as a maniac drunk dancer who can't sing, I fail to see how that helps Paul, and since he's been off the show, thanks to his ready admission that Nikki and he are dating, the paparazzi have been chasing them for pictures, and the press is only on about where they're eating and shopping and celebrating her birthday, and moving in together. Nothing career oriented about this kind of exposure, but then what do I know, right?

It's obvious that Paul knew nothing about American Idol and did even less to find out. He could have watched videos of previous contestants, asked around, read up stuff that is easily available all over the internet. I don't think he even had a clue that the producers have favorites whom they pimp, and that the judges are no more than their puppets, but rather chose to take their positive feedback each week as meaning he was fine. Stepping aside to let the kids (who've dreamt about this all their lives) win, doesn't cut it in my book. Paul was chosen from thousands who auditioned and then put through Hollywood, Las Vegas, Hollywood and on to the Top 24. In my humble opinion, he had an obligation to treat the chance he was given seriously and try his utmost to win if only to get a big budget recording contract with promotions, advertisement, talk shows, radio interviews, etc. Let's face it, even if a deal is and has been in the works for after his AI contract ends, he still needs fans to buy his album and tickets to his concerts !!! I don't know how many of those he's gained from finishing 8th !!! Paul is also know to disappear from Twitter for days !!! Very important to keep your fans (especially the new fickle AI ones) happy and regularly updated !!! It doesn't take more than a few seconds to post a message even if you're making love to Nikki all day wink.gif

Lastly, Paul made it quite clear that back in Nashville, they were moving around 20 people to a van, and eating at $1 dollar diners, so there must have been a better reason for trying out for this show, than all fun and games !!!

Sorry to vent ... none of the above is meant in any way to be insulting of offensive to any of you or to Paul or Nikki flowers.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.J.
post May 28th 2011, 1:27 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(taylortriumphs @ May 28th 2011, 12:40 PM) *

If the media only keeps writing you off as a maniac drunk dancer who can't sing, I fail to see how that helps Paul, and since he's been off the show

Hmm. I don't think that many people feel this way. Paul came off really well despite what a vocal minority say. If you look in the report card thread in GD he probably has the most people voting for him on "best attitude". Everyone knew when he was on, he was on. He made a great impression with Maggie May, Folsom Prison Blues, etc. He was very stylized and people understand that.

Me and my sister were talking about how when the girls were singing then Beyonce comes out and she has so much star power that there's such a huge difference between her and the contestants. Paul is that kinda guy. He has that star power that even the best singers can't buy. He's naturally interesting and you can't help but watch him.

Paul would have no reason to regret this. He said on the AI red carpet he's opened for Taylor Swift T Pain, etc. He's played Bonnaroo pre-idol! This was all about putting himself out there. Paul isn't a mainstream kinda guy so I don't know what more anyone could ask for.

--------------------
"Humanity is premiering you jags."
+Quote Post
taylortriumphs
post May 28th 2011, 1:45 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(D.J. @ May 28th 2011, 9:27 PM) *

Hmm. I don't think that many people feel this way. Paul came off really well despite what a vocal minority say. If you look in the report card thread in GD he probably has the most people voting for him on "best attitude".

I don't think anyone out there in GD or the media or America ever questioned his attitude, but that just makes him the nice guy, and doesn't necessarily bring him album and concert sales original.gif

Me and my sister were talking about how when the girls were singing then Beyonce comes out and she has so much star power that there's such a huge difference between her and the contestants. Paul is that kinda guy. He has that star power that even the best singers can't buy. He's naturally interesting and you can't help but watch him.

I totally get what you're saying and agree, but if American recognized that star power in Paul, then why didn't he get more votes, and last longer ??? Taylor Hicks was naturally interesting and entertaining and had star power, and he played the game and won !!!

Paul would have no reason to regret this. He said on the AI red carpet he's opened for Taylor Swift T Pain, etc. He's played Bonnaroo pre-idol! This was all about putting himself out there. Paul isn't a mainstream kinda guy so I don't know what more anyone could ask for.

Only time will tell and I only wish him the best flowers.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
pumpk
post May 28th 2011, 2:59 PM
Post #20

paul never fully bought in to idol. he simply didn't want it enough. but i don't see that as doom and gloom for the rest of his career.

the guy has been touring with a band for five years. they made enough to pay their bills, but it doesn't sound like they were happy with some of their gigs or that they had a lot of security. he went from that to the experience of idol and l.a. maybe he's a little burned out. maybe he's taking some down time, enjoying writing and a new life.

but we also know that he had meetings and was talking to people about his EP, so i don't know why we assume he's not doing anything to capitalize on the experience. i'm sure he's continuing to talk to people. and i'm sure that if no one signs him, he'll put out the EP on his own.

paul is an adult. he's has a certain level of ambition and drive. i trust he's doing what he needs to right now. if idol doesn't result in an immediate record deal for him, he'll still be fine.

as for the publicity about his relationship with nikki, i don't think it hurts or helps him. it just is. it's just background noise. they're not reporting about his music because they're tabloids and gossip rags. they "report" on personal lives, not music.

it's not like he's giving up coverage of his music for coverage of his relationship. they print whatever they want, and that's stuff about nikki.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Dec 18th 2014, 8:29 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol